Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 691 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Reminder: ACC is at 15. I suggested adding Cal, Stanford and UConn to get to 18. Makes them much stronger if any school manages to buy their way out.
Do Cal and Stanford want to have their athletes travel across the country for every sport frequently. And what about east coast teams heading to Calif regularly

Reaction Score
Reminder: ACC is at 15. I suggested adding Cal, Stanford and UConn to get to 18. Makes them much stronger if any school manages to buy their way out.
i think adding cal and stanford would hurt UConn's chances, yet again. they have 14 football schools so going to 17 doesnt work for divisions, pods, or permanent rivalry based scheduling.

Reaction Score
FSU Clemson UNC and Miami are looking to leave the ACC.

CAL Stanford UConn- would be 14.

Bring in OSU, Wash State and rename the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i think adding cal and stanford would hurt UConn's chances, yet again. they have 14 football schools so going to 17 doesnt work for divisions, pods, or permanent rivalry based scheduling.
It's uneven for Olympic sports now. Plus ND plays several teams (including Stanford on a regular basis) under their arrangement. I think they can make it work.

Reaction Score
Anyone with knowledge of the inner workings of the B12 would’ve known their plan was to take the 4 corner schools all along. His initial story about Colorado, then UConn, was so incredibly off base it was obviously fraudulent. Then he insisted the B12 wouldn’t take Utah, which ended up being wrong too. Shouldn’t he have known his source was bad after the first mess up? Why continue feeding us bad information?
A couple of days ago I went to the store to get some seltzer. I came home with seltzer and some chocolate chip cookies. Good plan, imperfect execution.

So the B12 wants Colorado and UConn. Good plan. Who's easier. Probably UConn. Then we better lock down Colorado first.

B12: Hey Colorado...
Colorado: Yeah?
B12: If we invite you, will you accept?

Now what? Colorado doesn't get a say?

Colorado: Maybe...
B12: What's bothering you?
Colorado: We're kind of buds with Arizona. Got a spot for them?

Back at the B12: We still want UConn but maybe we take Arizona first. Then we go after UConn and a different PAC.

According to the Arizona State guy, that's pretty much what happened, and pretty damn quick. PAC blood was definitely in the water then. Utah, too.

Back at the B12: We still want UConn.

Vs.

UConn was never wanted, they were just bait to get the PAC fish.

You really think Yormark had perfect enough information to orchestrate all that? Including the part where the B1G grabs Oregon and Washington?

Anyway, unless you have a smoking gun showing Yormark conniving, I'm going to have to go with the idea big stakes negotiations can be pretty fluid and things can move pretty fast.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
A conference invite notwithstanding, Cal and Stanford just going independent is probably the best short-term outcome for us, right?

Reaction Score
The entire excise was to lock Apple out. You know this.
Yep. It was just FOX flexing its muscle using B1G as the hitman to lock Apple out of this.

If people are stupid enough to believe Apple or Amazon will get locked out forever, they are in for a rude awakening. These Silicon Valley tech companies haven't got so serious about content just yet, but when they do they will eat these media companies' for lunch. People need to realize companies like Apple, Google, Amazon are worth multiple times of these media companies. In addition, they have far more cash. They are also way more savvy than these traditional media companies when it comes to streaming.

There will be another massive upheaval of conferences when the tech giants flexing their muscles. It might end with every school for itself when it comes to media rights.

Reaction Score
It's uneven for Olympic sports now. Plus ND plays several teams (including Stanford on a regular basis) under their arrangement. I think they can make it work.
hope youre right but acc just got rid of their divisions and adopted the 3-5-5 permanent rival concept which doesnt include ND. works for 16 not 17. maybe adding stanfrord and Cal convinces ND to fully join once and for all, and ACC adds UConn as the 18th team. one can dream lol.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yep. It was just FOX flexing its muscle using B1G as the hitman to lock Apple out of this.

If people are stupid enough to believe Apple or Amazon will get locked out forever, they are in for a rude awakening. These Silicon Valley tech companies haven't got so serious about content just yet, but when they do they will eat these media companies' for lunch. People need to realize companies like Apple, Google, Amazon are worth multiple times of these media companies. In addition, they have far more cash. They are also way more savvy than these traditional media companies when it comes to streaming.

There will be another massive upheaval of conferences when the tech giants flexing their muscles. It might end with every school for itself when it comes to media rights.

Think about what the iPod did to music.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in UConn, Cal and Stanford but I'll play along. To bridge the gap you look at Tulane and SMU. Two private, city schools with good academics and easy plane rides to each city. Not a lot of land grant state U's out there to add to the profile of the ACC and a conference with Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Miami obviously doens't have a problem having city schools in its portfolio.

If you think this is stupid, don't worry, I do too. But if an east coast conference is going to add two Pacific Time Zone schools, stupid is as stupid does.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

They weren't so savvy as to realize their lowball non-linear offer would cause the destruction of their intended target, were they?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in UConn, Cal and Stanford but I'll play along. To bridge the gap you look at Tulane and SMU. Two private, city schools with good academics and easy plane rides to each city. Not a lot of land grant state U's out there to add to the profile of the ACC and a conference with Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Miami obviously doens't have a problem having city schools in its portfolio.

If you think this is stupid, don't worry, I do too. But if an east coast conference is going to add two Pacific Time Zone schools, stupid is as stupid does.
I'm more worried that the ACC will expand and not take us. There's only so many times you can be passed over before the stank of it is insurmountable.

Reaction Score
Just add them. FSU and Clemson will love that. One step closer to the P2 separating any way.

Reaction Score

Not being on linear TV means their offer would need to be likely 1.5x whatever FOX and ESPN are offering to get anyone to bite. If Apple was serious about it, they would approach the heavy hitters like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc and offer them each like $150M/yr for their football in some sort of super conference. This shuffling will be never-ending if Apple and Amazon truly want to get involved. They wouldn't waste their money carrying dead weight like Butgers, Northwestern, Mississippi State. They'll form new conferences.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No one cares about Amazon, but if you’re a legacy industry, the one name you never ever ever want to hear entering your airspace is Apple.

They have more money, more talent and more runway than these media companies. It would not be a fair fight.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance the ACC would expand now or would we need to wait until a team like FSU/Clemson leaves?
UConn will be invited to the ACC once Clemson, Florida State, NC, NC State, VATech, Duke, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Miami leave for either the SEC, B1G, or the B12.

I am confident we will get an opportunity invite then.

Reaction Score
No one cares about Amazon, but if you’re a legacy industry, the one name you never ever ever want to hear entering your airspace is Apple.

They have more money, more talent and more runway than these media companies. It would not be a fair fight.
Amazon's Prime Video is the 2nd largest streaming service by subscribers at over 175 million subs (people who actually watch PV) in both US and international. And, Amazon has Thursday night NFL football starting this year and they are paying $1 billion per year for the privilege. And, they have MLB and NBA basketball as well as other sports.

As of now, Amazon is a bigger threat to FOX and ESPN than Apple.

Reaction Score
Actually wouldn’t Apple getting annoyed and going after the Big East force Fox to move teams out of there. Let’s say UConn to the Big 12

Reactions: DGB

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So I kinda feel like if OSU/WSU end up in the Big12 and Cal/Stanford to the ACC we lock this forum because UConn will never be changing conferences in our lifetimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom