Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 692 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Actually wouldn’t Apple getting annoyed and going after the Big East force Fox to move teams out of there. Let’s say UConn to the Big 12

I would have no problem talking to Apple if Fox and ESPN would react the same way with the Big East that they reacted with the Pac 12.

Reactions: DGB
Reaction Score
Not being on linear TV means their offer would need to be likely 1.5x whatever FOX and ESPN are offering to get anyone to bite. If Apple was serious about it, they would approach the heavy hitters like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc and offer them each like $150M/yr for their football in some sort of super conference. This shuffling will be never-ending if Apple and Amazon truly want to get involved. They wouldn't waste their money carrying dead weight like Butgers, Northwestern, Mississippi State. They'll form new conferences.

And that is probably what JP Morgan intends to utilize FSU for — to help drive this process forward and to make sure they are taking their cut of it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And that is probably what JP Morgan intends to utilize FSU for — to help drive this process forward and to make sure they are taking their cut of it.

Lawyers love projects like JP Morgan/FSU. It will never happen, but it will create a ton of legal bills.

Reaction Score
So I kinda feel like if OSU/WSU end up in the Big12 and Cal/Stanford to the ACC we lock this forum because UConn will never be changing conferences in our lifetimes.
You are totally wrong. UConn will soon be in a different conference!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If this happens, then the entire exercise last week was to lock Apple out.
If Apple is as vindictive as you claimed (a few days ago) why would anyone try this?

Reaction Score
Now imagine you've been giving the person conspiring against you massive tax breaks for 44 years!
Remember when VA politicians used their influence to get VA Tech in. I do not know what is fair, legal, appropriate, etc from our Govenor’s office, but it seems like ESPN feels no pressure to help despite all those tax breaks.

Reaction Score
Remember when VA politicians used their influence to get VA Tech in. I do not know what is fair, legal, appropriate, etc from our Govenor’s office, but it seems like ESPN feels no pressure to help despite all those tax breaks.
The state of Connecticut could go to ESPN right now and offer $30 million/yr in tax breaks to get UConn into the ACC. The state is already subsidizing the athletic department deficit so the state and UConn would be better off paying ESPN so that schedules would improve and UConn would get into the P5.

Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut could go to ESPN right now and offer $30 million/yr in tax breaks to get UConn into the ACC. The state is already subsidizing the athletic department deficit so the state and UConn would be better off paying ESPN so that schedules would improve and UConn would get into the P5.
is that legal?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Apple is as vindictive as you claimed (a few days ago) why would anyone try this?

There is an absolute truism in markets and really business as a whole that most people significantly underestimate the likelihood of the worst case scenario. When you are an executive at ESPN or Fox and all you do is win, it is hard to imagine a world where you are losing, even when the whole world is telling you it is about to happen.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure it'd be perfectly legal for Malloy to threaten to pull all tax breaks unless ESPN gets UConn into a P5/4/whatever. Don't think they'd even need a reason to pull tax breaks but make them earn it.

(please correct me if i'm wrong about the legality of that move)

Reaction Score
ooorrrrrrrr we go full villain, go to Apple as a co-op with UConn business school to put together the business plan for Apple to buy ESPN outright (they could probably just write a check to Disney, but this nullifies this entire post) and offer them an east coast headquarters in Hartford with all ESPN's tax breaks. Operation Jonathan go!

Reaction Score
ooorrrrrrrr we go full villain, go to Apple as a co-op with UConn business school to put together the business plan for Apple to buy ESPN outright (they could probably just write a check to Disney, but this nullifies this entire post) and offer them an east coast headquarters in Hartford with all ESPN's tax breaks. Operation Jonathan go!
Lol being a villain requires people to care about you. We’re more like the ugly step child that nobody wants.

Reaction Score
Fox was never going to let the Big12 take UConn. Fox gets UConn for pennies in the BE.

Why would Fox pay UConn 8x more --- all while destroying the amazing Big East content they have?

It was never going to happen, no matter what Yormack wanted

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fox was never going to let the Big12 take UConn. Fox gets UConn for pennies in the BE.

Why would Fox pay UConn 8x more --- all while destroying the amazing Big East content they have?

It was never going to happen, no matter what Yormack wanted

That's a realization I wish I had arrived at a couple weeks ago. Spot on.

If ESPN lets the ACC take Stanford and California over us though...I just don't even know what to think anymore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure it'd be perfectly legal for Malloy to threaten to pull all tax breaks unless ESPN gets UConn into a P5/4/whatever. Don't think they'd even need a reason to pull tax breaks but make them earn it.
I'll go there. This is embarrassing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It is not even a question for me that if the choice is Apple or ESPN, UConn should be choosing Apple. Even Disney thinks ESPN is going to lose in a streaming world.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

(please correct me if i'm wrong about the legality of that move)
From Malloy it means nothing. From Ned Lamont, maybe

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom