Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 666 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I think that FSU will do everything in their power to get out in the next few years and once they do then the dam will break because Clemson will then go and UNC, etc will have to depart, etc. Long story short: The Magnificent 7 will take to action.
They can leave now, but the ACC will get all their TV rights.

and there is no incentive to allow them to leave for the other members.

The former Fox executive who correctly stated that Fox does not want to pay the B12 for UConn because they already own them at a discount also commented on a post about how the networks view a GOR like the ACCs. He made it plain that FSU would not see any money from their TV rights if they left, because that's how GORs work

Reaction Score
UConn must not be used as a pawn going forward in conference realignment negotiations. It is a huge stain in perception on the University's reputation & will have negative consequences.

The alternative is to never try to get into a P5 or should I say P4 conference which is really unacceptable. Our reputation is not damaged, and we need to keep trying. If the phone rings AD Dave needs to pick it up and listen.

Reaction Score
According to the Jason Scheer comment last night, the potential invite to Gonzaga & UConn is for just basketball, NOT basketball/olympic sports. Acceptance of those terms is a huge headache for the athletic department.

That's literally not even possible unless we go indy for all sports except basketball because of the primary-conference-sponsored-sports rule. God that "offer" is just insulting. He has to know that's not even allowed, and if he doesn't, he's a bigger moron than I could've ever imagined.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not exactly true. Massachusetts kicked in $72 million for "infrastructure improvements" and Gillette Stadium is exempt from property taxes, although the Krafts do pay a fee per ticket sold to the town but the value is less than if the stadium itself was taxed.
So the Kraft's went to all that trouble and bluff for $72M "infrastructure improvements"? No, they were all in until CT couldn't deliver.

Reaction Score
I’ll say this — Yormark just eliminated a major competitor for football and basketball dollars from the marketplace. Would I put it past him to try to eliminate a basketball competitor from the marketplace as well? (That was rhetorical by the way.)

Bringing in schools that as loss leaders for the purpose of eliminating competitors is clearly illegal under antitrust laws, by the way, but for whatever reason the DOJ to date has clearly not given a damn about college athletics.
The courts are also firmly behind monopolies, as we just saw in the Microsoft Activision case. And these are Obama judges who are as rah-rah about monopolies as anyone on the right.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the B12 offers a basketball only spot and covers our exit fee from the Big East, I think we have to take it. We want to be in on their basketball tournament after the split, and we’d now have a foot in the door for future expansion. It’s also just a really strong basketball league tbh.
They would need to pay us considerably more than the BE currently does, cover our BE exit fee, not require us to sign a GOR, and offer us three home and three road football games (on a rotating basis throughout the conference) and a gradually declining exit fee, beginning at what they paid to get us out of the BE, ending at zero (or full membership, our choice) at the time of their current contract expiring.

Reaction Score
There's nothing in there that even hints at a partial invite
There's nothing in there that even hints at a partial invite.
Part of this for me and maybe for others is to indulge in some speculation. But I always find you around my corner telling me how it is.

You saw the video. What do you think he is referring to. Not looking for facts just some pure speculation. If you only deal in facts this thread is not for you.

Reaction Score
After watching the tang video, it has me thinking the big 12 might be about to take a bite out of the big East.

You wouldn’t have to take too big of a bite for us to not feel good about staying behind.

Villanova

Just that name alone and we’re already uncomfortable.

Villanova and one other traditional power

Georgetown under Cooley?
St John’s under pitino?

Starts to change how you feel instantly.
If things shake loose in ACC, maybe Pitt and Cuse. Don’t be the HolyCross of the Big East

Reaction Score
Could be.....I've been trying to explain this to BE or die Uconn crowd on twitter. What would it take for Fox with the Big 12's help (and even ESPN if they get some content ) to stop bidding on the Big East in the next media deal ? If Yormark gets the go ahead to offer 3 BE schools and Gonzaga say $10 Mil each for hoops ? It equals a kill shot. Are Nova, G-town and the Johnies gonna say no and end up in a PAC-12 situation or old Big East where the rest are scrambling around hoping for chump change, SMH!....we've this movie way to many times...and Yormark gets NYC and MSG by default, hmmm isn't that what he said he wants !

The risk for these schools would be enormous.

Their fans would fall off if they start to suck in the B12.

They have even bigger rivalries with one another than UConn does.

They'd lose Olympic Sports affiliation in the BE, and worst of all, they risk their own home markets as the BE backfills with replacements.

What happens if the BE adds George Washington to take G'town's spot? What happens if they add St. Joseph's or maybe make a run at Temple? What happens when Seton Hall becomes the main Catholic BE team out of NY?

What I'm saying is: if the departing schools become the BCs of the B12, then good luck to them! Heck, the BE should've invited Boston U. or UMass long ago.

Reaction Score
All of those teams are far more desirable than Gonzaga. Recent success is overrated, markets are far more valuable.

The ACC could potentially do the same thing. People think the Big East failed because it was hybrid which is not true, the hybrid Big East was the best basketball conference in the country, the hybrid Big East failed because ESPN went out of their way to destroy it. Past is prologue.
Time to think outside the box

Reaction Score
The moment you decouple basketball programs from football, football is toast.

Now no conference is going to ever take on football because they don't have to!

Meanwhile, you're asking UConn to spend more money in football operations and more money in travel for all sports while making peanuts in comparison with CBSSN while Big 12 opponents are making significantly more in TV money. Oh and we lose Big East Tournament traveling locally to games.

How is football supposed to magically get good enough it can't be ignored? Even if UConn went 6-6 for the next 5 years in a row, which would be really hard to do with a Big 12 schedule!!!!, that would not change the Big 12 calculus.

If the school is willing to ***** itself out, then the conference will treat it like a *****. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
They can leave now, but the ACC will get all their TV rights.

and there is no incentive to allow them to leave for the other members.

The former Fox executive who correctly stated that Fox does not want to pay the B12 for UConn because they already own them at a discount also commented on a post about how the networks view a GOR like the ACCs. He made it plain that FSU would not see any money from their TV rights if they left, because that's how GORs work
Yes, that is how the GOR was set up to work, but FSU is extremely focused on getting out. They are prepping to build a war chest of money (looking into private equity, donor loans, etc) that would fight the GOR from a legal standpoint, enable a buyout of the GOR and or exit fee, etc. Almost every exit has been negotiated down and it seems like the same would be true with the ACC. When someone has the fury like FSU does, things that don't seem possible/prudent can be the outcome. It can't be understated how important big time football inclusion is to FSU.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately if he offers 10 million and 4-5 football games along with a bowl spot. You take it.
You end up losing money if you do.

$10m - $5m = $5m which gets eaten up by travel for all your teams.

Maybe you get a small bump in revenue for football. But at the end of the day, you're treading water, you've lost the BE, you've lost the BET, and you've made things miserable for the vast majority of your student athletes.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is definitely not done. After adding UofA, ASU, and Utah, last night the board approved Yormark to seek out candidates 17 and 18 by December 31, 2023.
I know I saw this last night too but can’t find it now..is this confirmed from a legit source?

Reaction Score
So the Kraft's went to all that trouble and bluff for $72M "infrastructure improvements"? No, they were all in until CT couldn't deliver.
I was responding to the point that the Krafts got no money from Massachusetts. And, not paying property taxes on the stadium minus the ticket levy probably saves the Krafts $15 million per year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.
I agree with the 1st part, but if there is a way out of the GOR, there is a very good chance the ACC ends up like the PAC, with just Wake, Cuse, and BC not getting scooped up.

What's crazy is ESPN financed the destruction of the ACC. We just Fox do the same to PAC. To see the incredulity of national writers as if this didn't happen the exact same way a decade ago is fascinating.

Reaction Score
Idk if Nova, St Johns, and Georgetown would want to ever be involved in the Big 12. They would be going from having a substantial voice in conference decisions to the bottom of the totem pole, which is exactly why they wanted nothing to do with UConn/USF/Cincy when the Big East/AAC split happened.

Nova and Georgetown are not hurting for cash like we are
Their choice. Big 12 is building the Premier league in BB.

Reaction Score
Those ten years of football incompetence ...brutal.

At a time when we needed to double down, Suzy lax and the Board went cheap.

We want to lay blame. It starts at the Board and Prez levels

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
After watching the tang video, it has me thinking the big 12 might be about to take a bite out of the big East.

You wouldn’t have to take too big of a bite for us to not feel good about staying behind.

Villanova

Just that name alone and we’re already uncomfortable.

Villanova and one other traditional power

Georgetown under Cooley?
St John’s under pitino?

Starts to change how you feel instantly.
I posed something a few months back (when the rumors began) that if the B-12 was legitimately looking at adding Gonzaga, it wouldn't make sense without also adding another one or three non-football members. I threw out Creighton (due to location) and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown (as at the time I thought we would be in play for an all sports invitation) and many (primarily basketball only UConn fans) dismissed the idea.

How would they feel if we declined a bid for all but football and (hypothetically) watched Gonzaga, Creighton and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown join?

Reaction Score
I think its St Johns, Gtown, Nova and UConn that have been mentioned as potential targets from the BE.
I don’t see any of those schools leaving as stand alones. They would be left on an island and the travel costs alone make it not worth it. It would have to be a group thing.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
D7EA5A6E-271D-4E39-AA32-A1239ADCA45F.jpeg

Devil thread

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I posed something a few months back (when the rumors began) that if the B-12 was legitimately looking at adding Gonzaga, it wouldn't make sense without also adding another one or three non-football members. I threw out Creighton (due to location) and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown (as at the time I thought we would be in play for an all sports invitation) and many (primarily basketball only UConn fans) dismissed the idea.

How would they feel if we declined a bid for all but football and (hypothetically) watched Gonzaga, Creighton and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown join?

Didn't the Catholic schools break off from the football schools because they were tired of being after-thoughts and wanted to control their own fate? I don't really care if Gonzaga goes, and I would be shocked if anyone other than Creighton did from the Big East. The money just isn't there to justify it.

Reaction Score
The moment you decouple basketball programs from football, football is toast.

Now no conference is going to ever take on football because they don't have to!

Meanwhile, you're asking UConn to spend more money in football operations and more money in travel for all sports while making peanuts in comparison with CBSSN while Big 12 opponents are making significantly more in TV money. Oh and we lose Big East Tournament traveling locally to games.

How is football supposed to magically get good enough it can't be ignored? Even if UConn went 6-6 for the next 5 years in a row, which would be really hard to do with a Big 12 schedule!!!!, that would not change the Big 12 calculus.

If the school is willing to ***** itself out, then the conference will treat it like a *****. It's that simple.
Why are you saying football has to be degraded if separated from basketball? UConn has already done said separating and under Mora is currently on the rise. Our weak link over the past 10 years has been football. Why not bet on ourselves with Mora and see where it leads to? It's the best long term play we have. It's quite possible the BE becomes a G5-like basketball conference due to conference consolidation driven by the media companies (see OBE and PAC), NIL that the BE's smaller schools can't keep up with, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom