Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 665 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

GG

Reaction Score
Yormark doesn’t have to take many schools to cut the heart out of the Big East.

I’m definitely spiraling into conspiracy theory time right now but what if Cooley was a canary in the coal mine?
Interesting thought. I never heard Georgetown mentioned, but perhaps.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting thought. I never heard Georgetown mentioned, but perhaps.

I think its St Johns, Gtown, Nova and UConn that have been mentioned as potential targets from the BE.

Reaction Score
Big 12 likely not done. Many holes on east coast, no 'coast to coast'. No NYC market. They gutted the PAC12 because they had to with the football leftovers. Nothing exciting in this conferance honestly....truck stops, Mononpoly on Mormans and a diploma mill in an oven run by a hack....

Let's see.... UConn will be a prize for them and the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think its St Johns, Gtown, Nova and UConn that have been mentioned as potential targets from the BE.

All of those teams are far more desirable than Gonzaga. Recent success is overrated, markets are far more valuable.

The ACC could potentially do the same thing. People think the Big East failed because it was hybrid which is not true, the hybrid Big East was the best basketball conference in the country, the hybrid Big East failed because ESPN went out of their way to destroy it. Past is prologue.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because he was serious. He would have made billions plural on the deal.

Reaction Score
conferencerealignment.jpg

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Big 12 likely not done. Many holes on east coast, no 'coast to coast'. No NYC market. They gutted the PAC12 because they had to with the football leftovers. Nothing exciting in this conferance honestly....truck stops, Mononpoly on Mormans and a diploma mill in an oven run by a hack....

Let's see.... UConn will be a prize for them and the ACC.
The Big 12 is definitely not done. After adding UofA, ASU, and Utah, last night the board approved Yormark to seek out candidates 17 and 18 by December 31, 2023.

Yormark wants UConn -- just trying to figure out who to partner with. Although there was mention of Oregon State, he prefers to go east, since they went 4 west this time.

Reaction Score
But wasn't this the exact thing the ACC did to the Big East FB side? I mean the playbook was already written.
Not claiming he wrote the playbook. Just that we need to recognize the risk that he continues to execute the play.

Reaction Score
Idk if Nova, St Johns, and Georgetown would want to ever be involved in the Big 12. They would be going from having a substantial voice in conference decisions to the bottom of the totem pole, which is exactly why they wanted nothing to do with UConn/USF/Cincy when the Big East/AAC split happened.

Nova and Georgetown are not hurting for cash like we are

Reaction Score
It’s all about football and showing we belong again. If we show we belong as a football P4. We will have 2 conferences trying to get us maybe even the BIG. But football has to be able to show it belongs. Winning against BiG12 teams will get that. We could go 0-32 in basketball but 10-3 in football 3 years straight and be in a P4 the 4th year. Basketball matters that much.
It would be awesome to pull an Appalachian St level upset at Tennessee. That one event would probably do it.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is definitely not done. After adding UofA, ASU, and Utah, last night the board approved Yormark to seek out candidates 17 and 18 by December 31, 2023.

Yormark wants UConn -- just trying to figure out who to partner with. Although there was mention of Oregon State, he prefers to go east, since they went 4 west this time.
If they wanted UConn then they wouldn't need to seek out 17 and 18. They would have 17 and we would have the invite.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I’ll say this — Yormark just eliminated a major competitor for football and basketball dollars from the marketplace. Would I put it past him to try to eliminate a basketball competitor from the marketplace as well? (That was rhetorical by the way.)

Bringing in schools that as loss leaders for the purpose of eliminating competitors is clearly illegal under antitrust laws, by the way, but for whatever reason the DOJ to date has clearly not given a damn about college athletics.

Other than the fact that college athletics has lost every major anti-trust case filed against it, this is a great point.

Reaction Score
Could be.....I've been trying to explain this to BE or die Uconn crowd on twitter. What would it take for Fox with the Big 12's help (and even ESPN if they get some content ) to stop bidding on the Big East in the next media deal ? If Yormark gets the go ahead to offer 3 BE schools and Gonzaga say $10 Mil each for hoops ? It equals a kill shot. Are Nova, G-town and the Johnies gonna say no and end up in a PAC-12 situation or old Big East where the rest are scrambling around hoping for chump change, SMH!....we've this movie way to many times...and Yormark gets NYC and MSG by default, hmmm isn't that what he said he wants !

If the writing is on the wall that the big east is getting raided then you go but right now these are recycled rumors we’ve been hearing for months. If the conversation turns to basketball only we are the prize we can play it like utah and asu did this week go in kicking and screaming if we have to

Reaction Score
It worked so well he ended getting nothing he hadn't been offered before. Massachusetts didn't pony up 1 penny for Gillette.
Not exactly true. Massachusetts kicked in $72 million for "infrastructure improvements" and Gillette Stadium is exempt from property taxes, although the Krafts do pay a fee per ticket sold to the town but the value is less than if the stadium itself was taxed.

Reaction Score
Other than the fact that college athletics has lost every major anti-trust case filed against it, this is a great point.
How many have been brought by DOJ? DOJ and the FTC act directly in mergers in other areas.

GG

Reaction Score

I agree, but still concerned that his vision may not be aligned with the presidents. I truly believe he wanted us this go-around, but the presidents did not see his vision and are more football centric.

GG

Reaction Score
If the writing is on the wall that the big east is getting raided then you go but right now these are recycled rumors we’ve been hearing for months. If the conversation turns to basketball only we are the prize we can play it like utah and asu did this week go in kicking and screaming if we have to
Plus some BE teams have apparently been involved in these discussions, including SJU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How many have been brought by DOJ? DOJ and the FTC act directly in mergers in other areas.

The major conferences know they would lose any anti-trust lawsuit, which is why they are so generous with the G5 and why they would never break off, no matter what the edge lords say.

Reaction Score
Think about this for a second, the ACC almost allowed the Big 12 into the Northeast. And, they have 14 members today (plus ND) and we know a couple of schools want to leave. Why doesn't the ACC act and add a school or 2 now? The other 3 conferences already have more schools. I would grab UConn to solidify the Northeast and basketball and I would grab USF. Put UCF on an island in Florida. Wouldn't recruits want to go to USF over UCF if USF is playing FSU, Miami, Clemson,...?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.

Reaction Score
I don't know how AD Dave plays this going forward, but UConn must not be used as a pawn going forward in conference realignment negotiations. It is a huge stain in perception on the University's reputation & will have negative consequences. I shudder at the idea of folding the football program that SOME 'Yarders aspire to.
If Yormark ACTUALLY wants UCONN as team 17-18, it HAS to happen.
As an alumnus of this institution, I have always been pro-all things UConn, but after SO many failed attempts to get into a P5 (now P4, maybe soon P3) conference, patience is wearing thin & recent events are leaving me feel jaded.

Reaction Score
The major conferences know they would lose any anti-trust lawsuit, which is why they are so generous with the G5 and why they would never break off, no matter what the edge lords say.
So that’s an admission that the answer to my question was “never,” and thus there was no basis for you to criticize the original statement? Got it. Thanks for your honesty.,

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree. Football has to go scorched earth on everything and everyone. Give Mora all the resources, get recruits with chip on their shoulder, play anyone anywhere.
I like the way you think. What percentage of the resources will you be funding?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom