Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 615 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This is my last post till this is all done, which should be by Friday or early next week. I stand by what I posted. There will be 16 teams, Colorado Arizona UConn and ASU. If I'm wrong, I will be back here to own it.
Notice the order here.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think Utah was ‘not returning calls’ at that time. They’ve had a change of heart.
I’m not sure they have. There are a lot of assumptions around UTAH but have we heard from anyone in the university the way we’ve heard from Arizona? Have they scheduled a board meeting?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think GoKu was an insider, specifically inside UConn AD. Let’s go easy on him or her when they post again, they too have had a bad week.
I think it' a very likely that he is a blogger who has connections pretty high up the ladder at Kansas and was merely sharing what information he felt he could share.

Kansas could have been told all along that the goal was UConn & Colorado and that could have been the plan until it became apparent that the PAC was about to fall apart. While destroying the PAC with his ineptitude, Kliavkoff also inadvertently took us out as collateral damage.

When Maryland left the ACC, Herbst had quite a few contacts very high up in the tobacco road schools. At that time, ACC was basketball centric and to a great extent, tobacco road centric. The situation then was volatile in that the B-12 was less than a year removed from keeping Texas & OU (along with T Tech & OSU) from leaving for the PAC (imagine how different the world would be today if Beebe and Marinatto hadn't pulled that one off) and let the world know that they would be happy to take FSU & Clemson if those schools weren't happy in the ACC. Louisville, in part using their prior relationships with FSU & V Tech began a campaign lobbying football centric members of the ACC, discrediting UConn football and hitting a nerve on how tobacco road seemed to have all of the power in the conference.

FSU & Clemson, armed with the threat of leaving the conference, started a d!&k measure contest to prove that the tobacco road schools could be taken down a peg and forced the bulk of the conference to vote for Louisville. When this happened, Herbst had been assured numerous times by her friends at Duke, UNC, etc that we were the choice to replace Louisville.

Sadly, until the final announcements are made nothing is definite. We may have some solace at the moment as, the final announcements have not been made on B-12 expansion so technically we aren't out of it yet. Additionally, nothing (other than speculation from some pundits) has transpired indicating that Utah has even begun the process of applying to the B-12 or getting internal approval to move and as recently as 45 minutes ago and ESPN reporter stated that while UofA appear set to move, ASU is still on the fence (also said the board of regents would prefer but not require both schools remain together but would require a permanent scheduling arrangement between the schools if they separate).

Reaction Score
I think it' a very likely that he is a blogger who has connections pretty high up the ladder at Kansas and was merely sharing what information he felt he could share.

Kansas could have been told all along that the goal was UConn & Colorado and that could have been the plan until it became apparent that the PAC was about to fall apart. While destroying the PAC with his ineptitude, Kliavkoff also inadvertently took us out as collateral damage.

When Maryland left the ACC, Herbst had quite a few contacts very high up in the tobacco road schools. At that time, ACC was basketball centric and to a great extent, tobacco road centric. The situation then was volatile in that the B-12 was less than a year removed from keeping Texas & OU (along with T Tech & OSU) from leaving for the PAC (imagine how different the world would be today if Beebe and Marinatto hadn't pulled that one off) and let the world know that they would be happy to take FSU & Clemson if those schools weren't happy in the ACC. Louisville, in part using their prior relationships with FSU & V Tech began a campaign lobbying football centric members of the ACC, discrediting UConn football and hitting a nerve on how tobacco road seemed to have all of the power in the conference.

FSU & Clemson, armed with the threat of leaving the conference, started a d!&k measure contest to prove that the tobacco road schools could be taken down a peg and forced the bulk of the conference to vote for Louisville. When this happened, Herbst had been assured numerous times by her friends at Duke, UNC, etc that we were the choice to replace Louisville.

Sadly, until the final announcements are made nothing is definite. We may have some solace at the moment as, the final announcements have not been made on B-12 expansion so technically we aren't out of it yet. Additionally, nothing (other than speculation from some pundits) has transpired indicating that Utah has even begun the process of applying to the B-12 or getting internal approval to move and as recently as 45 minutes ago and ESPN reporter stated that while UofA appear set to move, ASU is still on the fence (also said the board of regents would prefer but not require both schools remain together but would require a permanent scheduling arrangement between the schools if they separate).
Why would they not go? For those questioning why we would stay in our current conference, yet expect ASU and Utes to do the same

GG

Reaction Score
This makes sense, as well as the point of holding off on UConn to incentivize Arizona. But that definitely means his information was not certain. Maybe I missed a post of his that said it will probably happen, but couldn’t be certain.
GoKU believed that Utah would be the odd man out, and was not enthralled with ASU. But I would imagine these types of situations are fluid and things change. Let’s hope things swing back our way.

What concerns me is that Greg Flugar, who has been in top of this situation, has always indicated that ASU and Utah are ahead of us and that things had to break a certain way for us to get in. He has been saying that for months now. It certainly contradicts what GoKU said.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This makes sense, as well as the point of holding off on UConn to incentivize Arizona. But that definitely means his information was not certain. Maybe I missed a post of his that said it will probably happen, but couldn’t be certain.
The change was Washington and Oregon and the B1G being willing to take them on the cheap. If those two had no landing spot other than PAC (and Big XII), they stay in the PAC. If they did, so would Utah, ASU and probably Arizona. The B1G screwed us here. Without Washington and Oregon, that Apple deal is more like $12m a school. It forced the hand of schools that didn't want to move.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why would they not go? For those questioning why we would stay in our current conference, yet expect ASU and Utes to do the same

1 - the financial gains we would receive (after factoring in exit fees and graduated conference payouts) by leaving the BE tower over the gains they would receive by leaving the PAC.
2 - either (or both) could have a sense of loyalty to the conference that elevated them from lower level to P-5 status.
3 - there well could be non-athletic reasons the schools would prefer remaining aligned with top academic schools and have a California presence.

I don't know what the final result will be, and in all candor I expect it to be UofA, ASU & UU, but until we actually see it we won't know.

Reaction Score
1 - the financial gains we would receive (after factoring in exit fees and graduated conference payouts) by leaving the BE tower over the gains they would receive by leaving the PAC.
2 - either (or both) could have a sense of loyalty to the conference that elevated them from lower level to P-5 status.
3 - there well could be non-athletic reasons the schools would prefer remaining aligned with top academic schools and have a California presence.

I don't know what the final result will be, and in all candor I expect it to be UofA, ASU & UU, but until we actually see it we won't know.
Exactly. Even the apple deal dwarfs our BE money.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The change was Washington and Oregon and the B1G being willing to take them on the cheap. If those two had no landing spot other than PAC (and Big XII), they stay in the PAC. If they did, so would Utah, ASU and probably Arizona. The B1G screwed us here. Without Washington and Oregon, that Apple deal is more like $12m a school. It forced the hand of schools that didn't want to move.
The B1G hurt our chances tremendously but Kliavkoff screwed us (an ancillary screwing) when he screwed his employer (the PAC) by completely botching the media negotiations. If he had been upfront with the PAC schools things may have unfolded differently.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

For the record, the scenario I laid out yesterday is still in play. UConn, Cal, Stanford to the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The B1G hurt our chances tremendously but Kliavkoff screwed us (an ancillary screwing) when he screwed his employer (the PAC) by completely botching the media negotiations. If he had been upfront with the PAC schools things may have unfolded differently.

How did Kliavkoff botch the media negotiations? Colorado, Arizona, ASU and Utah are going to regret betting on a linear contract with a declining broadcaster over taking the Apple deal.

Reaction Score
For the record, the scenario I laid out yesterday is still in play. UConn, Cal, Stanford to the ACC.
If I’m the ACC, I’m focusing on expanding right now because it will be harder to get your conference picked apart if you are 20 strong vs 15. If you lose 6 schools in the future then you’re down to 9 vs being down to 14.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is adding schools a material change to the the ACC agreement thereby allowing FSU and Clemson to bolt?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
How did Kliavkoff botch the media negotiations? Colorado, Arizona, ASU and Utah are going to regret betting on a linear contract with a declining broadcaster over taking the Apple deal.
Keep fighting the good fight Nelson

Reaction Score
GoKU believed that Utah would be the odd man out, and was not enthralled with ASU. But I would imagine these types of situations are fluid and things change. Let’s hope things swing back our way.

What concerns me is that Greg Flugar, who has been in top of this situation, has always indicated that ASU and Utah are ahead of us and that things had to break a certain way for us to get in. He has been saying that for months now. It certainly contradicts what GoKU said.
GoKu said that Utah would be out by their own choice, not the B12.

I am sure our admins were in the loop with B12 leadership as the B1G made an aggressive expansion move. My bet is that forced Utah admins to take action, and at that point we (UConn AD) knew it was unlikely to happen. Maybe we reached out to the ACC to see if their stove was heating up. Either way it feels like the narrative of ASU being reluctant and Utah even more so was grounded in reality but is now purely a scripted way to let the other PAC administrators know they stayed loyal to the very end.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Keep fighting the good fight Nelson

Remember about a week and a half ago when I said that the theory that the Pac 12 would lose one team and then add UConn and we would live happily ever after was insane? Probably not, because you and the rest of this board were busy gargling the marbles of the Kansas fanboy who was pretending to be an insider.

I will give you something else to remember: Utah, ASU, UA and Colorado will regret turning down Apple to hop on the ESPN train that is going over a cliff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom