Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 554 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The expectation is Colorado/Arizona/UConn/ASU
Report from Thamel on ESPN suggested AZ, ASU and Utah were going to form a block. If one goes, they all go. If one stays, they all stay

Reaction Score
It was about the brands. How many FB and BB brands are larger than USC and UCLA?
I'd rather grab schools in the fastest growing part of the country. The Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida where college sports are a religion and everyone is moving to. I assume there's nothing left in Texas that would be worthwhile to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Why do AZ and ASU do that? They are going to jeopardize their future and cost their universities tens of millions of dollars for Utah?

I saw one of the YouTube podcasts that indicated that AZ and AZ State share the same board of regents and that they are tied together. I'm not buying Utah. Not sure if both will be invited to the 12, but it seems as though they only want AZ. That seneriio might help us.

Who really knows?

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember years ago on one of the prior versions of the Boneyard, there used to be Profanity Friday or something like that? I forget what it was called. We may need that for one day to get it all out.

Reaction Score
Why do AZ and ASU do that? They are going to jeopardize their future and cost their universities tens of millions of dollars for Utah?
I think it is a smart play. There’s strength in numbers, and this helps the move from the superior academic conference to a conference with Baylor, UCF, TCU, BYU etc. none of which makes anyone on their campus feel good. Colorado will push for them too—among others. I guess it is a risk, but they likely have the support from current B12 members.

Reaction Score
I'd rather grab schools in the fastest growing part of the country. The Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida where college sports are a religion and everyone is moving to. I assume there's nothing left in Texas that would be worthwhile to the B1G.

USC vs. Ohio State is not going to only be watched by southern California and Ohio. It will be watched nationally. That is why you grab them, even in gaining greater interest from California in the conference certainly helps (it is a nice market - the point is the entirety of the US is a larger market).

The ACC teams are not yet on the market, so it is hard to grab them.

Reaction Score
The Pac will likely have a GOR too. If the Big wants Washington/Oregon, they are available. If they don’t want them now, I don’t know why those two should think they’d be more attractive in a decade with small paychecks.
It's not that simple i don't believe. Networks don't want to keep paying big money for conferences to add teams. Paying a team 30 million in the Pac is different than paying that same team 60 million in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Brett Yormark and the B12 have a great reason for wanting to add 4 schools from the PAC conference. Maybe they think that the west coast time zone will help the Big 12 get better TV ratings. Or maybe they think that the PAC schools will bring in more money, even though their media rights deal is only worth $20 million per school.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's a great one. I mean, why else would they want to add 4 schools from a conference with very low viewership and a mediocre media rights deal? So, I'm sure that whatever B12 is thinking, it's definitely the right thing to do. And I'm sure that the Big 12 will be a much better conference after adding 4 schools from the currently powerful PAC. Head bang

Reaction Score
I think it is a smart play. There’s strength in numbers, and this helps the move from the superior academic conference to a conference with Baylor, UCF, TCU, BYU etc. none of which makes anyone on their campus feel good. Colorado will push for them too—among others. I guess it is a risk, but they likely have the support from current B12 members.
Like academics has anything to do with this stuff.

Reaction Score
Baylor, TCU, Colorado and BYU are rated higher academically than Arizona, ASU, Oregon, and Utah. The TCU campus is as nice as any in the country.

Reaction Score
I saw one of the YouTube podcasts that indicated that AZ and AZ State share the same board of regents and that they are tied together. I'm not buying Utah. Not sure if both will be invited to the 12, but it seems as though they only want AZ. That seneriio might help us.

Who really knows?
The President of ASU said they are most certainly not tied together and AZ can do whatever it wants. ASU also just made a big push into California and are worried the BIG 12 would kill that plan and reduce attendance.

Reaction Score
It's not that simple i don't believe. Networks don't want to keep paying big money for conferences to add teams. Paying a team 30 million in the Pac is different than paying that same team 60 million in the B1G.

It’s possible there is no appetite for Washington/Oregon in the BIG. Which means they should likely be first in line for the Big XII to call. Both should want to at least discuss things. I just can’t wrap my head around more smoke being around Utah than Washington.

Reaction Score
It’s possible there is no appetite for Washington/Oregon in the BIG. Which means they should likely be first in line for the Big XII to call. Both should want to at least discuss things. I just can’t wrap my head around more smoke being around Utah than Washington.
My best guess, is those 2 schools were vocal against signing a GOR with the Pac. They gonna turn around and sign one with the Big12? Tough to see that. The Big12 would be silly to allow themselves to be used.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Brett Yormark and the B12 have a great reason for wanting to add 4 schools from the PAC conference. Maybe they think that the west coast time zone will help the Big 12 get better TV ratings. Or maybe they think that the PAC schools will bring in more money, even though their media rights deal is only worth $20 million per school.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's a great one. I mean, why else would they want to add 4 schools from a conference with very low viewership and a mediocre media rights deal? So, I'm sure that whatever B12 is thinking, it's definitely the right thing to do. And I'm sure that the Big 12 will be a much better conference after adding 4 schools from the currently powerful PAC. Head bang

All of conference realignment history has been about richer conferences raiding poorer conferences to maximize their profit. The BIG could maximize Rutgers in a way the BE could not. Would be the same thing happening here.

But also when all is said and done in 10 years or whatever, I think I’ll never quite get over Central Florida making it. What a strange world realignment has wrought.

Reaction Score
My best guess, is those 2 schools were vocal against signing a GOR with the Pac. They gonna turn around and sign one with the Big12? Tough to see that. The Big12 would be silly to allow themselves to be used.

I thought all parties in the pac already agreed on a GOR to be signed at the same time as the tv contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom