Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 553 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

If those 3 schools are in an alliance...well I suppose everyone understands the gravity of that happening.

Reaction Score
So what is the deal? The B1G tweets about the addition of four more schools were a hoax or is that still in play?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
So what is the deal? The B1G tweets about the addition of four more schools were a hoax or is that still in play?
Why wouldn’t it be? We heard about Colorado to the Big12 for how many days?

Of course it could be FSU and Clemson trying to smoke out the SEC into inviting them.

Reaction Score
Ariz ASU Utah band together?

That’s an interesting strategy. You’ve gotta be awfully confident to say “if you don’t throw us 3 life jackets, none of us are going to save ourselves.”
Exactly. If BY really does get his choice for number 16, and it is UConn, then all he has to do is invite UConn immediately. Then say two more seats on the lifeboat. Who wants them?

Reaction Score
Ariz ASU Utah band together?

That’s an interesting strategy. You’ve gotta be awfully confident to say “if you don’t throw us 3 life jackets, none of us are going to save ourselves.”
He's throwing feces at the wall to see if it sticks.

Reaction Score
With Thamel's track record there's a better chance that he made it up knowing it's the worst possible outcome for UConn than that he knows this is what those schools are up to.
What's the deal with Thamel? Thought he was a trusted source of realignment

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly. If BY really does get his choice for number 16, and it is UConn, then all he has to do is invite UConn immediately. Then say two more seats on the lifeboat. Who wants them?
Because if his preference order is UA, UConn. ASU (excluding Washington & Oregon), and they announce UConn and ASU won’t go, then they lose UA. Just hypothetically but I image they want to know where everyone stands.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What's the deal with Thamel? Thought he was a trusted source of realignment
He's a Syracuse grad (around the time we won our first title) and has spent a lot of his professional career tossing shade at us. When it comes to information that makes us look bad he's the quickest on the scene. When it is something positive for us he's conspicuously absent. That's been his MO for the two decades I've known about him.

Reaction Score
Again, if the PAC is on the verge of blowing up, what are Washington and Oregon doing goKU? You’d think they’d be Big XII’s first and second phone calls and the conference would wait on them before talking to Arizona State or Utah.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Again, if the PAC is on the verge of blowing up, what are Washington and Oregon doing goKU? You’d think they’d be Big XII’s first and second phone calls and they’d wait on the before talking to Arizona State or Utah.
I doubt the B-12 would let some new members join without signing a GOR while holding all current members to a GOR that runs through 2031 (the media partners may not allow this either). If Oregon and Washington believe that within five or six years they'll be in the B1G they wouldn't consider getting tied down until 2031.

Reaction Score
I doubt the B-12 would let some new members join without signing a GOR while holding all current members to a GOR that runs through 2013 (the media partners may not allow this either). If Oregon and Washington believe that within five or six years they'll be in the B1G they wouldn't consider getting tied down until 2031.

That’s a huge chance when the ACC and Notre Dame are right there. Those two should be exploring all options unless they have something else happening.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
That’s a huge chance when the ACC and Notre Dame are right there. Those two should be exploring all options unless they have something else happening.
So you believe it would be easier for Oregon and Washington to jump to the B1G from the B-12, with a GOR that runs through 2031 that they'll need to get out of than from the PAC, with whatever membership it has over the next half dozen years?

Reaction Score
Again, if the PAC is on the verge of blowing up, what are Washington and Oregon doing goKU? You’d think they’d be Big XII’s first and second phone calls and the conference would wait on them before talking to Arizona State or Utah.
No idea.

Reaction Score
So you believe it would be easier for Oregon and Washington to jump to the B1G from the B-12, with a GOR that runs through 2031 that they'll need to get out of than from the PAC, with whatever membership it has over the next half dozen years?

The Pac will likely have a GOR too. If the Big wants Washington/Oregon, they are available. If they don’t want them now, I don’t know why those two should think they’d be more attractive in a decade with small paychecks.

Reaction Score
I believe there is little to zero chance Washington and Oregon will join the B12. Why? 1) They don't want to sign the GOR of B12 to lock themselves in until 2031 if there is smallest chance B1G will invite them 2) B12 will not get them unless they sign GOR since FOX and ESPN won't allow members that don't sign GOR or limited GOR 3) It is much easier in the current PAC 12 to go to the playoff vs going through the B12. 4) These schools did not want to associate with B12 schools due to academics. They still don't unless they have no choice.

I think what will happen is they will try to keep the PAC together long enough so they can get to the B1G. This means inviting Tulane, SMU, and SDSU. They might go Fresno St, UNLV, and Boise St if they have to. They will have a conference that still get its champ into the new playoff system.

Reaction Score
The Pac will likely have a GOR too. If the Big wants Washington/Oregon, they are available. If they don’t want them now, I don’t know why those two should think they’d be more attractive in a decade with small paychecks.
The B1G going west was a mistake IMO. I understand the allure of scooping the second biggest media market in the country, but that's old school thinking, and they should have kept their powder dry. Western teams are apparently not worth much, and if you're going to add it needs to be in the east particularly the southeast.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
We will see.

The B1G has been very determined and deliberate with everything they've done with realignment and I seriously doubt they'll alter their approach because of some turmoil in other conferences.

Their plan (they kind of let that out of the bag a few months back) was to continue to slowly build out the west coast beginning a few years after USC-UCLA joined as members. I still believe they have a target date (don't know what it is but I'll wager it's about five years out) to add the next two west coast schools and will do so again a number of year later.

One thing most are missing here (as the B1G has existed for decades longer than the SEC, ore than half a century longer than the ACC and a massive amount of time longer than any other conference)is they feel no need to do things in a rush. They won't be pressured into a move and they see no need to accelerate their plan just because it may make life easier for a potential addition. They'll add Oregon and Washington on their timetable and in all candor, Oregon and Washington will accept that as it is far better than the alternative (not getting in the B1G at any point in time).

Reaction Score
The B1G going west was a mistake IMO. I understand the allure of scooping the second biggest media market in the country, but that's old school thinking, and they should have kept their powder dry. Western teams are apparently not worth much, and if you're going to add it needs to be in the east particularly the southeast.
It was about the brands. How many FB and BB brands are larger than USC and UCLA?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom