Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 246 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In addition to the free tix for freshmen, free busses, and designated student parking - at least for the first game, they are going to host a student tailgate/BBQ with food and a DJ, then get them in 30 min before kick. Really excellent - many have suggested this over the years.

Reaction Score
Our new AD is brilliant. Sounds like he loves UConn already, and he's hitting a homerun on all topics. Not only does he interact with fans on twitter, but he's making some awesome changes to the football experience, and he'll also be making changes to the bball experience. He's making some fantastic changes for the better, I can't wait to see how he engages the students during the middle of the 3rd and 4th quarter similar to what the Wisconsin student body does.

David>Warde

Reaction Score
In addition to the free tix for freshmen, free busses, and designated student parking - at least for the first game, they are going to host a student tailgate/BBQ with food and a DJ, then get them in 30 min before kick. Really excellent - many have suggested this over the years.
PRAISE JEEBUS

Reaction Score
David Benedict‏@UConnHuskyAD
New layout of the video board for @UConnFootball @UConnHuskies #BleedBlue #UConnNation #sellitout

CqLPIxHXEAA0Wdm.jpg

Reaction Score
This is great on his part to recognize this. It's one of the top reasons I stopped going to games live, especially for basketball. The timeouts were an endless laundry list of monotone PA announcements that droned on forever. Left zero time from any entertainment from the band/cheerleaders which is one of the perks of seeing a live game to begin with.
Fewer "recognitions" as well, guess we need to stop winning so much :)

Reaction Score
It'd be great if they could get the students to shame the rest of us into our seats early.

To be fair, a lot of students are traveling further than other fans to the game. As an underclassmen it used to be a b*** to get to the games if you forgot to buy a bus pass, and even with a bus pass you were getting up at 8AM to catch a 9:30 bus to the stadium. By the time you're there it's 10:00 and you want to find/meetup with people etc. etc.

From my experience our fans and students never have an issue getting into the stadium for kickoff during night games. I truly believe that if every game was a 7PM kickoff on a Friday or Saturday night that we'd fill the stands much better.

Reaction Score
I missed the very beginning about ST sales. I did catch Aspire group will be used for all sports not just football/bball. Aspire will also work to get more groups to games including non- ST sales for sports like baseball etc

Some of the same gameday improvements will be used for other sports as well. Concentrating on football now. Will have meetings about improvements for bball and other sports at a later time

Reaction Score
2 weeks ago when Tramel said some favorable things about UConn to Matt in his interview the BY "experts" anointed him as Boren's mouthpiece & that we were clearly Boren's favorite as #11 or #12.

2 weeks later he says that he doesn't think that the B12 is going to expand and all of a sudden he's back to being some yahoo OK writer who doesn't know any of the facts about realignment.

Which is it? Maybe it is both. If you gave UT & OU the same bump in cash with or without expansion they would clearly choose to not expand. The B12 is most definitely having conversations with ESPN & FOX about expansion. Do any of you really believe that they haven't asked "How much more will you give us if we don't expand?" The answer at the beginning of this process was most certainly "NONE!" The more of a circus the B12 turns this into, the more likely the TV partners are to come back & say "Let's try & figure something out". The B12 has no interest in adding any of the schools mentioned & neither do the networks.

If the B12 does end up getting more money without having to expand it will actually be a pretty well played game of chicken by them

But don't forget that even before the Big 12 decided to explore expansion, they decided to bring back their CCG. I suppose they could have five team divisions or simply send the two schools at the top of the standings after round-robin play for a rematch but an expansion and divisions is really the most logical way to stage a CCG - even if you buy into a doomsday scenario and the conference only has eight years left.

Reaction Score
I missed the very beginning about ST sales. I did catch Aspire group will be used for all sports not just football/bball. Aspire will also work to get more groups to games including non- ST sales for sports like baseball etc

Some of the same gameday improvements will be used for other sports as well. Concentrating on football now. Will have meetings about improvements for bball and other sports at a later time
I believe he mentioned that 3500 former season tix holders were offered 2 free tix to the first game and they have given away 1200 tickets through this promotion. Trying to rope them back in.

Reaction Score
I believe he mentioned that 3500 former season tix holders were offered 2 free tix to the first game and they have given away 1200 tickets through this promotion. Trying to rope them back in.
Yup. Using them to get the casual fan to go to the Maine game and get hooked. Also given the opportunity to buy more for a hefty discount.

"Not at liberty to discuss B12 in any detail but not for lack of Gresh asking". This is telling as he has had no problem discussing them in the past. NDA???

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Warde to Benedict is like getting a new car. You thought your old car was fine and didn't know how you felt about getting a new one. Then you get a few miles on your new car and you feel the difference.

It's more along the lines of Warde had multiple areas of the Athletic Dept he had to repair. He accomplished some things.
When he left for Michigan the University had to assess where Warde left off and what the next AD had to do. Alumni engagement via fan experience and building up student involvement are consistent with his performance at Auburn.
Benedict's actions don't validate or invalidate Warde's actions.

Reaction Score
It's more along the lines of Warde had multiple areas of the Athletic Dept he had to repair. He accomplished some things.
When he left for Michigan the University had to assess where Warde left off and what the next AD had to do. Alumni engagement via fan experience and building up student involvement are consistent with his performance at Auburn.
Benedict's actions don't validate or invalidate Warde's actions.
This, 100 times this. Warde cleaned the house, and now Benedict is outing finishing touches and decorating the house for prospective buyers. IMO Warde was exactly what UConn needed at the time he was hired, and now Benedict is appearing to be what we need at this stage (still some work to be done, but off to a good start, or so it appears).

Although in reality this is primarily about what Herbst is doing than what Warde or Benedict did or did not do.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The last two posts have been spot on IMO. Warde was an AD in the traditional sense. He ensured academic compliance, hired great coaches, and, working within the significant confines of AAC membership, made sure our football and basketball schedules still found a way to have name-brand schools on them in the out-of-conference portions. He also fundraised better than any AD in UConn history. That of course doesn't say much because an inebriated elephant could have done better than his predecessor in that regard, but he did well in that area. He did a very good job for us.

AD David Benedict has been more a CEO so far. He's a new breed of AD. He has been working to upgrade fan relations, build the brand, and hopefully, a marketing machine. We haven't seen much in the way of the traditional AD out of him yet, so the jury is out on his abilities to schedule compelling matchups, but hearing him speak, the man can sell. I expect he will be able to sell other ADs on games with the Huskies. We are in very capable hands.

Reaction Score
This, 100 times this. Warde cleaned the house, and now Benedict is outing finishing touches and decorating the house for prospective buyers. IMO Warde was exactly what UConn needed at the time he was hired, and now Benedict is appearing to be what we need at this stage (still some work to be done, but off to a good start, or so it appears).

Although in reality this is primarily about what Herbst is doing than what Warde or Benedict did or did not do.

I want a bigger house! Preferably one with a 4 car garage and a pool......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom