Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 230 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Connecticut also just passed an affirmative consent bill or the so called ("yes means yes") bill. Inviting UConn to the conference would help with the public view of the big12 conference when it relates to sexual assault issues on campus

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel ‏@BerryTramel · 3h3 hours ago
Power Lunch: Chat with columnist Berry Tramel

• Aug 10 2016 12:00 PM
    Do you believe Big 12 leaders are serious about bringing in some of the schools that are being mentioned or is this just a smoke screen to get a network?
    • Larry
  • Smokescreen. I wrote about this in today's Oklahoman. I think the Big 12 is playing poker, trying get money and/or concessions from the networks. I don't think the Big 12 really wants to expand.

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel ‏@BerryTramel · 3h3 hours ago

• Aug 10 2016 12:00 PM
    Do you believe Big 12 leaders are serious about bringing in some of the schools that are being mentioned or is this just a smoke screen to get a network?
    • Larry
  • Smokescreen. I wrote about this in today's Oklahoman. I think the Big 12 is playing poker, trying get money and/or concessions from the networks. I don't think the Big 12 really wants to expand.
I think this is true. But there's no need to "play poker".

If they just want to get more money out of the networks, they can be completely honest about that and speed all this BS up. "Hey, we don't really want to expand but we will if you don't pay us money not to".

It's only a bluff if they secretly would never expand, even if ESPN refuses to pay out any additional money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Your link is kaput.
Weird. It was working earlier. google newcomers to the AAC and it should take you to the story.

Reaction Score
If we got into the B12 because we are the candidate known as the friendliest to the LGBT community, that would be a curve ball I didn't see coming.

Access to major TV markets? Meh.
National championship sports programs? Meh.
Great academics? Meh.
LGBT friendly? You're in.

I'll take it, but it wouldn't have been the metric that I would have guessed that would put us over the hump lol.

That could have a big impact on the Civil Conflict.

Reaction Score
No difference long term between the two options.
Except 1 outcome allows this cesspool of rampant speculation and unnamed hypothetical sources to live 8 more years while the other takes us to the back of the shed and puts a bullet through our heart. Come to think of it, for our sanity, the latter may be a better outcome long term.

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel · 13h13 hours ago
This week's Mailbag: What effect, if any, will the LGBT/BYU letter have on the Big 12's expansion plans?
Mailbag: How the BYU controversy could affect Big 12 expansion

"The Big 12’s process has been so haphazard to this point that ultimately there’s almost no scenario that would surprise me, but I wrote last week that Cincinnati and Houston seemed the likeliest options. Cincinnati now seems the safest bet simply because it has no real baggage. (Note: It says a lot about the pool of candidates when “no baggage” is a selling point.) IF after that there’s only one other spot, and IF it comes down to Houston and BYU, do the LGBT concerns turn BYU into the odd man out? Or does fear of Houston becoming “too good” in football trump BYU’s discrimination questions?"

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Five industry sources weigh in on top candidates to join Big 12; ESPN and Fox not thrilled with expansion talks | SportsDay

"Beyond BYU, a host of schools are clustered, led by UConn, Memphis, Central Florida and Colorado State, in an evolving order."

So if BYU is out, and they expand by 4, it would be Houston, Cincinnati, UConn and Memphis (or less likely, UCF). Not bad but not everyone in the Big 12 will be thrilled with the "city" school additions. At that point, let the AAC replenish itself with 4 new adds, and let them duke it out for the next 2+ spots.

Houston gets screwed, really, by letting UT set up shop in their town. UT-Houston? Really? They could have held out for the ACC. Just my opinion. Only issue would be costs to maintain an athletic department and Houston doesn't have a super donor other than Paul Wall, who donates grills to the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Five industry sources weigh in on top candidates to join Big 12; ESPN and Fox not thrilled with expansion talks | SportsDay

"Beyond BYU, a host of schools are clustered, led by UConn, Memphis, Central Florida and Colorado State, in an evolving order."

So if BYU is out, and they expand by 4, it would be Houston, Cincinnati, UConn and Memphis (or less likely, UCF). Not bad but not everyone in the Big 12 will be thrilled with the "city" school additions. At that point, let the AAC replenish itself with 4 new adds, and let them duke it out for the next 2+ spots.

Houston gets screwed, really, by letting UT set up shop in their town. UT-Houston? Really? They could have held out for the ACC. Just my opinion. Only issue would be costs to maintain an athletic department and Houston doesn't have a super donor other than Paul Wall, who donates grills to the coaching staff.
I thought Tillman Fertita was their super donor.

Reaction Score
I thought Tillman Fertita was their super donor.
I guess he is. I still don't get why Houston would let UT set up shop in Houston, if Houston wants to claim the market. UT's power and influence in the state of Texas is obviously enormous. According to a former head coach who now works at Kansas State, admission into the Big 12 would turn Houston into a football power.

Former Houston coach Dana Dimel thinks Cougars would be bad for Big 12

Reaction Score
I guess he is. I still don't get why Houston would let UT set up shop in Houston, if Houston wants to claim the market. UT's power and influence in the state of Texas is obviously enormous.
Recent articles say Houston's ability to sustain the AD, at current levels hinge on a P5 inivite sooner than later. Its a good bargaining chip for then to have. Smart of them to oppose this all along for this moment.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I guess he is. I still don't get why Houston would let UT set up shop in Houston, if Houston wants to claim the market. UT's power and influence in the state of Texas is obviously enormous.

Texas' poison pill. They don't want expansion so they are pushing the school that most schools don't want.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess he is. I still don't get why Houston would let UT set up shop in Houston, if Houston wants to claim the market. UT's power and influence in the state of Texas is obviously enormous. According to a former head coach who now works at Kansas State, admission into the Big 12 would turn Houston into a football power.

Former Houston coach Dana Dimel thinks Cougars would be bad for Big 12
I suspect the analysis is that the infusion of Big 12 money and elevation to P5 status justifies the considerable risk of having UT open a campus there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Because one is the State flagship university, the other one is Houston, and Texas is a big enough area that the state would want to provide access to a better education to the people in America's 4th largest city.

The real reason is why would UT let UH into the XII, when there will be a UT-H regardless. UH doesn't have that kind of clout.

Reaction Score
Because one is the State flagship university, the other one is Houston, and Texas is a big enough area that the state would want to provide access to a better education to the people in America's 4th largest city.

The real reason is why would UT let UH into the XII, when there will be a UT-H regardless. UH doesn't have that kind of clout.
How do you know this? They certainly have had plenty of Texas politicians fight this battle for them. There are probably plenty of UH alumni politicians who can drag this out a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom