Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 228 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 24m24 minutes ago
Here is a copy of the letter the LGBT advocacy group "Athlete Ally" sent to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby:
CpYTlF9UMAEtoAQ.jpg

CpYToK-UMAA9ouu.jpg

That letter was also sent to all 10 Big 12 presidents, as well.

Jake Trotter Retweeted UniversityofHouston
UniversityofHouston‏@UHouston 1h1 hour ago
GREAT NEWS! #LGBTQ history is now lovingly persevered at @UHoustionLib. http://Post original url/2af6au6

Timing is everything… And interesting here...

Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 22m22 minutes ago
UH, on the timing of that LGBT tweet…

UniversityofHouston‏@UHouston 26m26 minutes ago
@AaronDickens Written and scheduled during business hours earlier today. UH Athletics need no help getting the recognition they deserve.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm very pro LGBTQ rights and I think it's definitely something that should be taken into consideration.

That being said, feel like it shows a total lack of tact from Houston to trivialize and use their LGBTQ archive and pander that for an invite to a football conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So the timing of this can't be coincidental. By all accounts the Big 12 wants to wrap this up sooner rather than later. Key players are the 10 universities, Fox and ESPN. Who puts this story in the public? None other than FoxSports who has said they want the Big 12 to expand east. I'm thinking more and more there may be something to the UC/UH rumor.
Or the UConn/Cincy duo. I'm not buying that the Big 12 is going to decide on two schools only and both of them be city schools.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It would surprise me if either UConn, Cincy, or Houston worked behind the scenes to bring this up.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So they wrote this drivel during the day and no one caught the spelling errors! UGGH !! Houston Cougars = Hillary Clinton. Lies, lies and more damn lies!!

Here is a copy of the letter the LGBT advocacy group "Athlete Ally" sent to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby:
CpYTlF9UMAEtoAQ.jpg

CpYToK-UMAA9ouu.jpg

That letter was also sent to all 10 Big 12 presidents, as well.

UniversityofHouston‏@UHouston 1h1 hour ago
GREAT NEWS! #LGBTQ history is now lovingly persevered at @UHoustionLib. http://Post original url/2af6au6

Timing is everything… And interesting here...

Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 22m22 minutes ago
UH, on the timing of that LGBT tweet…

UniversityofHouston‏@UHouston 26m26 minutes ago
@AaronDickens Written and scheduled during business hours earlier today. UH Athletics need no help getting the recognition they deserve.

Reaction Score
It would surprise me if either UConn, Cincy, or Houston worked behind the scenes to bring this up.
No need to be surprised by Houston, behind the scenes, they do it on the scene.

Reaction Score
I'm very pro LGBTQ rights and I think it's definitely something that should be taken into consideration.

That being said, feel like it shows a total lack of tact from Houston to trivialize and use their LGBTQ archive and pander that for an invite to a football conference.
If they believe they are directly competing with BYU, Go for it.

Your entire AD is at risk if you get left behind.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If they believe they are directly competing with BYU, Go for it.

Your entire AD is at risk if you get left behind.

I just think it's pretty disingenuous and almost insulting to that community to have their University use their history as a pawn in their athletic conference pursuit.

And look, I'm not the prototypical person who finds a way to be "offended" by everything they see. I just feel like when you know people who go through some of those struggles, they might feel a certain if their school was tweeting out "Look at us! Look at us! They are bad, we are good we love LGBTQs can we play football now??"

Reaction Score
Hey, I like football, and I also check off a couple of boxes in "LGBT." If UConn wants to be vocal about some of the ways they've been supportive to the community in recent years (which they have) in order to help snag a Big 12 invite, I am fine with that. I'm glad I can go to UConn games and feel safe at Rentschler Field (which I do). I also happen to know that the director of the Rainbow Center on campus loves football, and she wouldn't want our sports programs to fall by the wayside, either. :)

Reaction Score
You guys sometimes act like you're ND or PSU
Nah. We don't send students to die on scissor lifts in windy conditions or look the other way on child abuse in our football locker room showers just to add an extra W or two to our football resume. If we ever get like some programs willing to sacrifice everything for a win I'd rather just disband the team.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 2h2 hours ago
BYU athletic director responds on Twitter after letter by LGBT groups to the Big 12.

Tom Holmoe‏@TomHolmoe 2h2 hours ago
LGBT players, coaches and fans are always welcome to the BYU campus. Everyone should be treated with respect, dignity and love. Tom

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BYU athletic director responds on Twitter after letter by LGBT groups to the Big 12.

LGBT players, coaches and fans are always welcome to the BYU campus. Everyone should be treated with respect, dignity and love. Tom
"They are just not welcome as a part of our university community."

Reaction Score

LGBT players, coaches and fans are always welcome to the BYU campus. I mean, just look at my last name, the "l" is silent... what other proof do you need that myself and BYU love "those people". Everyone should be treated with respect, dignity and love before they are sent to the burning cauldron's of hell where all sinners belong. Tom
I found his original draft before the PR team edited it for him.

Reaction Score
I'm not defending BYU or their honor code. But here is what it actually says.

Church Educational System Honor Code

Homosexual Behavior

Brigham Young University will respond to homosexual behavior rather than to feelings or attraction and welcomes as full members of the university community all whose behavior meets university standards. Members of the university community can remain in good Honor Code standing if they conduct their lives in a manner consistent with gospel principles and the Honor Code.

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity. Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.

(emphasis added)

They are drawing a line between feelings/attraction and behavior. They plainly say that it's okay to be gay, just don't be physically intimate. When it comes to unmarried individuals, I don't believe that policy could be defined as discriminatory.

However......they plainly get into trouble with gay marriage. Considering the reputation for some Mormons to have a "loose" definition of marriage, that honor code, and the fact it has come up in CR makes this all fascinating.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not defending BYU or their honor code. But here is what it actually says.

Church Educational System Honor Code

Homosexual Behavior

Brigham Young University will respond to homosexual behavior rather than to feelings or attraction and welcomes as full members of the university community all whose behavior meets university standards. Members of the university community can remain in good Honor Code standing if they conduct their lives in a manner consistent with gospel principles and the Honor Code.

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity. Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.

(emphasis added)

They are drawing a line between feelings/attraction and behavior. They plainly say that it's okay to be gay, just don't be physically intimate. When it comes to unmarried individuals, I don't believe that policy could be defined as discriminatory.

However.they plainly get into trouble with gay marriage. Considering the reputation for some Mormons to have a "loose" definition of marriage, that honor code, and the fact it has come up in CR makes this all fascinating.

"Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code"

Yeah, what LGBT person wouldn't feel welcomed on campus.

Reaction Score
"Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code"

Yeah, what LGBT person wouldn't feel welcomed on campus.
I understand, from your prior posts, that you have strong feelings on this. I'm not trying to change your mind, or make it seem like BYU is an open/progressive all-inclusive community. It's obviously not.

I didn't say they'd "feel welcome". But the Honor Code also says heterosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code, unless you're married.

Just because you aren't made to feel welcome, doesn't mean you are (in the legal sense) being discriminated against (unless, in this case, you're in a same-sex marriage).

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I understand, from your prior posts, that you have strong feelings on this. I'm not trying to change your mind, or make it seem like BYU is an open/progressive all-inclusive community. It's obviously not.

I didn't say they'd "feel welcome". But the Honor Code also says heterosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code, unless you're married.

Just because you aren't made to feel welcome, doesn't mean you are being discriminated against (unless, in this case, you're in a same-sex marriage).

To clarify, I wasn't directing my response at you. Didn't intend to come off that way.

I get your angle and understand where you're coming from. BYU I suppose is entitled to whatever they believe and while they may not openly discriminate against it, seems like if you have to hide something like that it isn't right either. Reminds me of don't ask, don't tell.

Reaction Score
"Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings."

I really think this is a double standard. I don't think the prescription that students live "a chaste and virtuous life" prohibits all forms of physical intimacy between heterosexual couples who aren't married. It covers sexual intercourse, sure, but not other forms of affection. On the other hand, two women (or men) kissing each other with romantic intent would clearly violate the provision quoted above.

If I'm wrong, please show me where the Honor Code prohibits any physical intimacy between unmarried heterosexual couples.

Reaction Score
To clarify, I wasn't directing my response at you. Didn't intend to come off that way.

I get your angle and understand where you're coming from. BYU I suppose is entitled to whatever they believe and while they may not openly discriminate against it, seems like if you have to hide something like that it isn't right either. Reminds me of don't ask, don't tell.

Thanks for the clarification, it read like it was directed at me. I can certainly see why university presidents would be hesitant, and activists would be compelled to speak out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification, it read like it was directed at me. I can certainly see why university presidents would be hesitant, and activists would be compelled to speak out.

My bad on that. You're a good poster, didn't mean to do that.

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel 12m12 minutes ago
Not admitting Houston because they'll get too good is the most shortsighted thing in Big12's myopic history

Why Houston could bring long-term stability to the Big 12

"Any conversation about the future of the Big 12 has to be viewed through the prism that there's a significant chance Texas and Oklahoma go elsewhere when the league's current television contract expires in 2025. If the Big 12 loses its only two marquee programs, wouldn't it covet a direct line into Houston's market, recruiting ground and potential? This needs to be a 20-year decision—again, not the Big 12's specialty—and there's an excellent chance Houston can grow into a top-tier Big 12 program in the next two decades".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom