Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 722 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? UConn would forego media distributions for seven years. If Stanford and SMU are willing to do it to get into the club, why aren't we? This isn't the Big 12. This is the ACC- a league we have been trying to get into for years. A league with our former rivals (Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville) + Tobacco Road. If we get a half share starting in 2031 and a full share in 2036, we would be foolish not to accept. We get less than 4.5 million per year from our TV deals. We can survive seven years of lost TV revenue with just the uptick in ticket sales alone. Put your pride at the door.

For one thing UConn doesn't have Stanford or SMU money.

Also private schools have more leeway with spending than state schools.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This. SMU boosters can support the program for years which is why they can join up for nothing for a few years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. SMU boosters can support the program for years which is why they can join up for nothing for a few years.

More than "can" they are willing.

Plenty of money in state of CT but those with the most don't see a need or desire to drop it on UConn athletics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Plenty of money in state of CT but those with the most don't see a need or desire to drop it on UConn athletics.
Sadly, nearly all of those who have made billions running hedge funds were educated at other schools (primarily Ivies).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

But far less access to capital.

Reaction Score

I dont see how UConn can agree to such a deal AND RAMP UP spending on football coaches/staff. That is what it is going to take to get this program to a level where P5/4 conferences don't say "but they're football is terrible."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dont see how UConn can agree to such a deal AND RAMP UP spending on football coaches/staff. That is what it is going to take to get this program to a level where P5/4 conferences don't say "but they're football is terrible."
It's more about fans than winning, but winning is what we need for fans. Nobody believes me, but I think some of these football focused schools really want a "culture of football". It's not just what we put on the field. What are our traditions on game day? We scoff at this stuff, but it matters to them.

The Rent was fine for our needs but a generic stadium on an airfield didn't really help establish that culture.

Reaction Score

I would think it was age if you had answered my question. Surprise, you didn't. So I'll try again. You linked to something. Do you understand the point of what you linked to, and if so would you mind sharing the post, or were you just trying to prove that an infinite amount of monkeys on an infinite amount of typewriters (let me know if you need an old guy to explain what those are) would eventually recreate the entire works of Shakespeare?

Reaction Score
It's more about fans than winning, but winning is what we need for fans. Nobody believes me, but I think some of these football focused schools really want a "culture of football". It's not just what we put on the field. What are our traditions on game day? We scoff at this stuff, but it matters to them.

The Rent was fine for our needs but a generic stadium on an airfield didn't really help establish that culture.
I believe football success attracts fans which attracts P5 interest not P5 interest attracts fans and leads to football success.

The G5 schools that have gotten P5 invites all were winning: TCU/Utah/UCF/Houston/Cincinnati. P5 schools can move conferences even without winning football.

As for the Rent, yes, not ideal location, but when UConn football was competitive, the fans showed up and the atmosphere was great. Tailgating is readily accessible next to the stadium.

Bottom line, UConn football needs to figure out a LT winning model to bring back the fans to gain a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I'm not taking this personally. But the linked article itself is worthless because it uses words without setting forth what they mean. And read a thread from Seton Hall fans? I think not.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol, why is that so upsetting to you? Is it because I called you out for posting as CornyT on that site? (I mean, if I was posting as Ernie D on other teams boards, you might just have something. That would be embarrassing, and a little odd.)

I have to laugh about the amount of realty I occupy in your head FriarWest!

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry. I'm not taking this personally. But the linked article itself is worthless because it uses words without setting forth what they mean.
Hey Biz, I'm just seeing these. Let me take a shot at answering them to the best that I can.

The original graphic is from a tweet by Storrs South. As you point out, the terms are undefined. As you probably know, the term "brand value" is it a measure of which people perceive a particular item. In essence you net out the positive reactions and the negative reactions and you come up with a "brand value" figure. This particular metric is labeled as "TV brand value" so, it would appear to be a metric defining the way TV viewers view Connecticut in the Big East. Clearly, it's not "ratings" alone, otherwise Nielsen would use that term. So, my best guess is that the "TV brand value" metric, is a comparison of how Connecticut, in particular, and the Big East in general, are perceived versus other competing sports viewing alternatives. But that's just speculation on my part, assigning reasonable definitions to the words provided.

Sure, it would be helpful to have a detailed description of how the "TV brand value" metric is derived, but as with most things found on Twitter, there aren't a whole lot of descriptive footnotes. If you decide you're curious and want to Google it, feel free to post it here. I would be interested in seeing what the details of the metric actually are.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The primary reason we keep getting passed over is because we keep getting passed over. We have to do what we can to change that narrative, and winning in hoops isn't enough. I would offer to join the ACC at Big East money for 3 years with a full share after that. That will give us enough time to become a stronger candidate for poaching when the ACC GOR ends.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Our television rights are basically a rounding error at this point. Big East money is nothing. Any school offering to join for free isn’t really making enough money to matter now so what are they giving up?

Even just getting some kind of share of CFP money would likely be more than any of these schools can expect from TV rights.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol, feel free to post here. You used to have a really good troll act, but somehow in the post Cooley era you've been a little melty here. You just need to up your game and be a little bit more interesting.

For my part, I don't get the whole "secret identity" sock puppet thing that some people do and feel inclined to brag about it. When I post my handle is always CL 82, and I'm always a UConn fan. For that matter, I never get the psychology of coming on another board and insulting the host team. But, some people seem to get off on it.

Now when people troll here I will tweak them a little bit, usually by just answering their questions politely. Nothing seems to rattle a troll more and then polite responses. It's entertainingly predictable.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our television rights are basically a rounding error at this point. Big East money is nothing. Any school offering to join for free isn’t really making enough money to matter now so what are they giving up?

Even just getting some kind of share of CFP money would likely be more than any of these schools can expect from TV rights.
This. If you are a SMU, or any Big East team, foregoing earnings practically means foregoing your current five to $10 million earnings in order to get a bigger payday down the road. I wonder if you could reach out to other relationships, and our instance IMG/Leerfield or Nike, to see if your current brand value increases in a bigger conference thus making up, or at least reducing the differential. I guess that would depend on whether there is a change of conference out clause.

But, yeah, if you are giving up say $5 million in the big east or $10 million in the American but getting a $15 million share of college football playoff money, you are coming out ahead.

I don't like the "feel" of saying "hey we will be a member of your conference for nothing", but I see the thought process behind it.

Reaction Score
This. If you are a SMU, or any Big East team, foregoing earnings practically means foregoing your current five to $10 million earnings in order to get a bigger payday down the road. I wonder if you could reach out to other relationships, and our instance IMG/Leerfield or Nike, to see if your current brand value increases in a bigger conference thus making up, or at least reducing the differential. I guess that would depend on whether there is a change of conference out clause.

But, yeah, if you are giving up say $5 million in the big east or $10 million in the American but getting a $15 million share of college football playoff money, you are coming out ahead.

I don't like the "feel" of saying "hey we will be a member of your conference for nothing", but I see the thought process behind it.
Going from being the Beasts of the East/Big East and owning The Garden to being less than second class citizens in some other conference would destroy the UConn brand, we would be looked at as a laughingstock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom