Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 557 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
There are a few things being ignored by the overwhelming noise from social media and the silence from our administration.
1. The recent performance of our football team is in no way indicative of how we would perform going forward. UConn has a top notch athletic department and with the additional tv revenue and conference affiliation that would come with an invite, the football program would thrive. Give us a full cylce and UConn football would become a perenial top 25 program. We know nothing else in sports.

2. Don't let the silence fool you. Dave Benedict is the Dan Hurley of ADs. He is a ferocious worker, intelligent, smart, respected, well connected, etc and I am confident he is working every angle imaginable. If we land anywhere, he will have a big part in it. I would not bet against him.

Reaction Score
Here’s my question…
Are the fans ready? I get the whole ‘it’s been 10 years since we’ve had a coach and been in a position to win more than 3 games’ rationale.
But, if UConn gets into P5, especially Big 12 which is big time football schools, will fans show up? I have zero doubt winning 8-9 games and having meaningful games against ranked opponents will help.
But what happens in the early years when we’re building up.
Reading some comments from anti UConn folks I want nothing more than to show how much UConn can deliver. But it really is on the fans too.
Getting in and having 20K in the stands isn’t a good look.
I liken your question to when Miami left & UConn was asked to join the OBE football conference a year early. FHCRE came out & said that UConn would be ready. Crowds that first year were great & exuberant.
I have no doubt that if a P5 (XIII) invite materializes this season, history will repeat itself. Reasons: major league factor, novelty of new conference, attractiveness of opponents. If UConn wins in a P5 schedule, attendance will sustain itself.

Reaction Score
I fear the Big12 adds Arizona and stops until 2031 when the ACC GOR expires. At that point…

UVA, UNC, Washington, Oregon to Big10

Clemson, FSU, Miami, Ga Tech to SEC

Duke, Louisville, NC State, Va Tech to Big 12

Cuse, BC, Wake, Pitt join Big East and link up with OrSU, Wazzu, Utah, Cal, Stanford for football only league

ACC’s GOR is until 2036. I think the Big XII’s is 2031.

Reaction Score
Here’s my question…
Are the fans ready? I get the whole ‘it’s been 10 years since we’ve had a coach and been in a position to win more than 3 games’ rationale.
But, if UConn gets into P5, especially Big 12 which is big time football schools, will fans show up? I have zero doubt winning 8-9 games and having meaningful games against ranked opponents will help.
Reading some comments from anti UConn folks I want nothing more than to show how much UConn can deliver. But it really is on the fans too.
The fanbase needs to be "regrown". In my original 8 ticket group, 5 moved out of state, 1 has serious medical issues and i went from single to having a family. We were the young ticket holders in our early twenties. When i dropped season it was cause UConn screwed up my seats and gave them to someone else and moved us back 2 rows. The guys in my group were incensed. I plan on being all in on seasons again in a few years when I'm not so involved in my kids activities.

The original Rent fan base was getting too old as P was tanking the program and well the other 2 guys didn't exactly make you want to spend your falls watching the team. Mora is Him. Hopefully the team shows improvement thia year regardless of what happens with CR.

Reaction Score
The fanbase needs to be "regrown". In my original 8 ticket group, 5 moved out of state, 1 has serious medical issues and i went from single to having a family. We were the young ticket holders in our early twenties. When i dropped season it was cause UConn screwed up my seats and gave them to someone else and moved us back 2 rows. The guys in my group were incensed. I plan on being all in on seasons again in a few years when I'm not so involved in my kids activities.

The original Rent fan base was getting too old as P was tanking the program and well the other 2 guys didn't exactly make you want to spend your falls watching the team. Mora is Him. Hopefully the team shows improvement thia year regardless of what happens with CR.
If UConn is competetive playing top 25 caliber teams, the Rent will be at capacity. IF UConn wins, this fanbase will travel. Its as simple as that. Give us something to cheer for and this fanbase is as good and as supportive as any.

Reaction Score
I get the impression that he has a decent source, but CR is so fluid that even the best source will often be wrong.
I want to believe him too. People that answer questions in short, direct sentences repeatedly in CR probably know something or have a connection inside the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Here’s my question…
Review past history in hockey as a future indicator for FB. The prevaling wisdom was that during UConn's first year in Hockey East that they would not win a game. In their home opener they took down BC. They got a few victories against the HE that first year. They did not finish last. Since that year they have risen in measured fashion, almost respectfully, to near the top of Hockey East.

That is what I think UConn would do in FB as a P5.

Reaction Score
I don't get the trolling vibe at all. He could be wrong, but he's been posting here for months with a pretty even keeled demeanor.

Would be an exceedingly bizarre way for someone to waste their time.
My thought is that he/she works for either UConn or KU and the objective is to keep the UConn fan base calm. Equally likely is that the person is who he/she says they are. Are there posts on other boards that we know about?

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My thought is that he/she works for wither UConn or KU and the objective is to keep the UConn fan base calm. Equally likely is that the person is who he/she says they are. Are there posts on other boards that we know about?

Not sure about other boards, but if the end game of a troll is to rile people up or to be able to say "got ya!" it doesn't add up with how they are posting.

Like, we've seen the leagues we've been members of dismantled since the early 00s, you think this is the straw that's going to break our backs?

Reaction Score
One thing I'll say about UConn football's potential appeal to fans is that the last 20 yrs have seen a huge rise in entertainment expenses, from going to the movie theater to restaurants to music. I've got a crying teenager who missed out on Taylor Swift (we could afford it, but we couldnt justify it, it's ridiculous).

My point is that UConn is at the same pricepoint one sees for minor league baseball, major league lacrosse, the type of things people pay for locally in my region.

I went to a restaurant this weekend that I hadn't visited in 3 years. Used to be jam packed. We were the only ones there at 7 pm on a Saturday night. Food was still really good. We exited the restaurant and the ice cream place next door was jampacked with people sitting out at tables, a line out the door.

Reaction Score
If UConn is competetive playing top 25 caliber teams, the Rent will be at capacity. IF UConn wins, this fanbase will travel. Its as simple as that. Give us something to cheer for and this fanbase is as good and as supportive as any.
It will be very hard though to get them to travel to B12 locales other than Orlando. This conference really is unappealing. Some places like Lawrence, Kansas could have appeal, but they're hard to get to from Hartford.

Ever been to Stillwater, OK? I have. It was hard to keep my jaw from dropping as I was driven through town. And I don't mean that in a good way. The coals joke that it got its name not because the water was still but because there was still some water over there.

Reaction Score
You overestimate utahs interest in the Big 12. They don’t want to be with BYU.
———————————————
It will be very hard though to get them to travel to B12 locales other than Orlando. This conference really is unappealing. Some places like Lawrence, Kansas could have appeal, but they're hard to get to from Hartford.

Ever been to Stillwater, OK? I have. It was hard to keep my jaw from dropping as I was driven through town. And I don't mean that in a good way. The coals joke that it got its name not because the water was still but because there was still some water over there.
Add Fort Worth to easy to get to, but point well taken. That is a large part of why many would prefer the ACC to the XII (noting that, at the moment, neither has asked us to join).

Reaction Score

Once you leave the northeast, I find travel to be a non factor. Personally, I find getting to the Carolina's as a major pain in the arse. Do I drive? Fly? So while the Big 12 may take away the option to drive, getting there is quite similiar, sans a visit to BC.

Quite frankly, Id much rather go to Arizona or Dallas area than I would Winston Salem or even Louisville.

In a vaccum, the ACC is certainly a better fit. But when you project out 12 years and question long term sustainability, I will ride w Big 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My thought is that he/she works for either UConn or KU and the objective is to keep the UConn fan base calm. Equally likely is that the person is who he/she says they are. Are there posts on other boards that we know about?
He could be someone AD Dave planted here to keep the natives from going completely insane.
He or she is not a UConn plant. Too much casual knowledge of KU to not be at least a KU fan. As to why they are here? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kansas fans like the idea of adding UConn.

Reaction Score
———————————————

Add Fort Worth to easy to get to, but point well taken. That is a large part of why many would prefer the ACC to the XII (noting that, at the moment, neither has asked us to join).
I had a better time in Ft. Worth than I did in Raleigh, just sayin.

Reaction Score
———————————————

In an ideal world, we would be with the PAC-12 schools. I think UCONN fans would love the Bay Area and SDSU. If not for the distance, we would be a perfect fit for the PAC-12 with our academics and similarities with PAC-12 schools like Washington, Oregon, Cal, Arizona, and Utah etc.

Reaction Score
Not sure about other boards, but if the end game of a troll is to rile people up or to be able to say "got ya!" it doesn't add up with how they are posting.

Like, we've seen the leagues we've been members of dismantled since the early 00s, you think this is the straw that's going to break our backs?

LoL the fact that he was wrong every step of the way didn't sway you?

Or the fact that his goalposts changed every day based on that days Twitter?

How about when he was asked directly by someone if he was or knew an insider, he didn't answer?

Or when I challenged him with all this, he didn't deny it?

And now he says he leaving- just when the tea leaves look more complicated. But leaves himself an out to come back and claim I told you in case we get in.

You guys believed him because you wanted to believe him. In fact, he didn't come off this way at first, you guys kept hammering him and put him in that position, so he just went along with it best he could.

We may still come away with an invite, but it won't be from anything he knew

Reaction Score

Boulder, Houston, Lawrence, Dallas-Fort Worth, Cincinnati, Tucson, Orlando....obviously no conference compares to the Big East in terms of city destinations but how often have you been taking road trips/flying to Big East cities for trips to take in the cities and watch the games?

Reaction Score
He or she is not a UConn plant. Too much casual knowledge of KU to not be at least a KU fan. As to why they are here? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kansas fans like the idea of adding UConn.
Pretending to be a UCONN fan would be way too obvious.

Reaction Score
LoL the fact that he was wrong every step of the way didn't sway you?

Or the fact that his goalposts changed every day based on that days Twitter?

How about when he was asked directly by someone if he was or knew an insider, he didn't answer?

Or when I challenged him with all this, he didn't deny it?

And now he says he leaving- just when the tea leaves look more complicated. But leaves himself an out to come back and claim I told you in case we get in.

You guys believed him because you wanted to believe him. In fact, he didn't come off this way at first, you guys kept hammering him and put him in that position, so he just went along with it best he could.

We may still come away with an invite, but it won't be from anything he knew
This is bothering you way too much.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

How is Lawrence hard to get to? KC has a brand new airport and Lawrence is right off of I-70. It's 52 minutes from the airport to Allen Fieldhouse. The football stadium is slightly closer. Boulder is likewise appealing and easy to fly to. Cinci and Orlando are easy flights. Fort Worth is appealing and easy from DFW. Ames is 45 minutes from the DesMoines airport.

Stillwater is the boonies. K-State is over 2 hours from KC Airport. Lubbock is just way out there. So don't go there.

Reaction Score
People like Fort Worth. The guy from the show Fixer Upper said Waco is the new Austin. Boulder is nice and cheap flights. Utah is beautiful but not much of a party destination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom