Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 253 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel‏@BerryTramel
Power Lunch Chat with Berry Tramel

• John
    ‎12‎:‎11‎:‎29‎ ‎PM
    Read your uconn piece. Question - have you spent time there? Know the culture? You couldn't be more wrong about them. They aren't important to their state at all. Football is a joke. 10 years ago these guys were playing in a stadium that most 3A schools in our state play in. Please dig deeper before you throw your things out.
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎13‎:‎41‎ ‎PM
    Yes, I've been to Connecticut. And you are wrong. UConn is very important to that state. And while football is not king -- basketball is -- the nature of their football stadium is one of the reasons UConn is attractive. Yes, the Huskies used to play in a rumdum field. And now they don't. They have a new stadium. UConn has made a commitment to football and to its athletic department. I'm blogging about this this afternoon. UConn's athletic budget is $72 million. That's far and away the most of any school outside the Power-5. That's without a major TV contract.
  • Jeff
    ‎12‎:‎16‎:‎07‎ ‎PM
    When should we expect to hear from the big 12 leadership if we are going to expand? Would that be in October or sooner? Guess it could happen any time in the next year, but if you haven't heard of news by a certain date would you expect nothing to happen ?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎16‎:‎36‎ ‎PM
    Great question. Some figured by Sept. 1. Most people said by Oct. 1. I heard over the weekend it could go to December. So I don't know. It might not happen at all.
  • Big 12 Guru
    ‎12‎:‎21‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
    Berry, you have given us some great insight into the Big 12 expansion debate. However, your latest piece about why UConn should join the Big 12 makes me question your sanity. Adding a school as far away as China which has a pitiful football program just because they are a state school is ridiculous. Nobody up there cares about watching Texas Tech and TCU square off. Have you spent too much time in the Oklahoma sun?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎22‎:‎40‎ ‎PM
    Actually, my tan is rather solid. But I lined out the reasons for adding UConn. I think they're solid. Connecticut people don't have to watch Tech and TCU. They have to buy a potential Big 12 Network. And they would. That's my point about the change in television.
    • drbosu
      ‎12‎:‎39‎:‎03‎ ‎PM
      If the Big 12 is no more, what happens to the rest of the schools? In particular Kansas and K State?

• Berry Tramel
      ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎22‎ ‎PM
      That's the best question ever asked on the chat. That's what troubles me most about a potential Big 12 demise. These are good schools and great people. I think KU and KSU will be fine. But I don't know about Iowa State. I think KU could end up in the Big Ten or Pac-12. I think KSU could end up in the SEC or the Pac. but Iowa State? I don't know. I see a potential ACC, perhaps. But that's a longshot.
    • Jim
      ‎12‎:‎46‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
      Tell fan boy we aren't whining about those schools, the smart ones are whining our wall flower presidents got us in this jam. Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri all and more proactive leaders than do OU and OSU. That's the angle the media isn't dealing with. When are you going to be holding Boren and the presidents accountable? This should have never happened!
    • Berry Tramel
      ‎12‎:‎47‎:‎17‎ ‎PM
      Well, I agree, it never should have happened, but the problem goes back to 1995, when the Big 12 was formed. It was formed with too much power given to each school. No power by the commissioner, unequal revenue distribution, etc. This isn't the fault of anyone in the last 5-6 years. This was a 20-year process. Boren is partly responsible, but there are plenty of others.
    • Fan Boy
      ‎12‎:‎29‎:‎18‎ ‎PM
      Why are some fans whining about bringing in “lower level” schools like Cincinnati and Houston etc.? Kansas and Iowa State certainly don’t strike fear into anybody. Why don’t they cry about having to play such bad football schools as those two?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎30‎:‎44‎ ‎PM
    Kansas and Iowa State are great schools, great conference members and have great other attributes, notably basketball. Someone has to finish last. It's straight physics. Cincy and Houston have positives and might work well in the Big 12. Whoever you bring in will have challenges. There are no slam dunks.

Reaction Score
Yeah we like TX too - we had Jake Voskuhl - starting center on our 1999 NCAA Championship team and we also had some guy named Emeka Okafor - starting center on our 2004 NCAA Championship team. It's been fertile soil for us

And Michael LeBlanc from Texas in the same class. He stayed only a short time then transferred to Vandy.

Reaction Score
UConn's athletic budget much larger than other Big 12 expansion hopefuls

Berry Tramel by Berry Tramel • Published: August 22, 2016 •

That should be the Big 12’s criteria. Judge athletic programs on what they’ve done. Not on what they say they will do.

Which leads us to UConn. Among the schools outside the Power-5 conferences (and Notre Dame), Connecticut has far and away the largest athletic budget. According to USA Today’s annual research, UConn’s 2014-15 athletic budget was $72 million. The next highest total on the list was Cincinnati’s, $52 million.

Brigham Young is not on the list – USA Today was unable to find the figures for some schools – but BYU’s reported athletic budget is $57 million per year. UConn, with football attendance about half of BYU’s, spends more than do the Cougars.

That’s impressive. UConn’s commitment to big-time athletics is unassailable. It is not recent. Now, Connecticut has some other issues, which I addressed. But it’s clear that UConn is better-equipped than most to step into the high-stakes game of Power-5 athletics.

So Connecticut stands above the field. When you factor in UConn’s strong academics and its status as a flagship school in a populous state, the geographic problems are overshadowed.

More at:

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel‏@BerryTramel

• John
    ‎12‎:‎11‎:‎29‎ ‎PM
    Read your uconn piece. Question - have you spent time there? Know the culture? You couldn't be more wrong about them. They aren't important to their state at all. Football is a joke. 10 years ago these guys were playing in a stadium that most 3A schools in our state play in. Please dig deeper before you throw your things out.
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎13‎:‎41‎ ‎PM
    Yes, I've been to Connecticut. And you are wrong. UConn is very important to that state. And while football is not king -- basketball is -- the nature of their football stadium is one of the reasons UConn is attractive. Yes, the Huskies used to play in a rumdum field. And now they don't. They have a new stadium. UConn has made a commitment to football and to its athletic department. I'm blogging about this this afternoon. UConn's athletic budget is $72 million. That's far and away the most of any school outside the Power-5. That's without a major TV contract.
  • Jeff
    ‎12‎:‎16‎:‎07‎ ‎PM
    When should we expect to hear from the big 12 leadership if we are going to expand? Would that be in October or sooner? Guess it could happen any time in the next year, but if you haven't heard of news by a certain date would you expect nothing to happen ?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎16‎:‎36‎ ‎PM
    Great question. Some figured by Sept. 1. Most people said by Oct. 1. I heard over the weekend it could go to December. So I don't know. It might not happen at all.
  • Big 12 Guru
    ‎12‎:‎21‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
    Berry, you have given us some great insight into the Big 12 expansion debate. However, your latest piece about why UConn should join the Big 12 makes me question your sanity. Adding a school as far away as China which has a pitiful football program just because they are a state school is ridiculous. Nobody up there cares about watching Texas Tech and TCU square off. Have you spent too much time in the Oklahoma sun?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎22‎:‎40‎ ‎PM
    Actually, my tan is rather solid. But I lined out the reasons for adding UConn. I think they're solid. Connecticut people don't have to watch Tech and TCU. They have to buy a potential Big 12 Network. And they would. That's my point about the change in television.
    • drbosu
      ‎12‎:‎39‎:‎03‎ ‎PM
      If the Big 12 is no more, what happens to the rest of the schools? In particular Kansas and K State?

• Berry Tramel
      ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎22‎ ‎PM
      That's the best question ever asked on the chat. That's what troubles me most about a potential Big 12 demise. These are good schools and great people. I think KU and KSU will be fine. But I don't know about Iowa State. I think KU could end up in the Big Ten or Pac-12. I think KSU could end up in the SEC or the Pac. but Iowa State? I don't know. I see a potential ACC, perhaps. But that's a longshot.
    • Jim
      ‎12‎:‎46‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
      Tell fan boy we aren't whining about those schools, the smart ones are whining our wall flower presidents got us in this jam. Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri all and more proactive leaders than do OU and OSU. That's the angle the media isn't dealing with. When are you going to be holding Boren and the presidents accountable? This should have never happened!
    • Berry Tramel
      ‎12‎:‎47‎:‎17‎ ‎PM
      Well, I agree, it never should have happened, but the problem goes back to 1995, when the Big 12 was formed. It was formed with too much power given to each school. No power by the commissioner, unequal revenue distribution, etc. This isn't the fault of anyone in the last 5-6 years. This was a 20-year process. Boren is partly responsible, but there are plenty of others.
    • Fan Boy
      ‎12‎:‎29‎:‎18‎ ‎PM
      Why are some fans whining about bringing in “lower level” schools like Cincinnati and Houston etc.? Kansas and Iowa State certainly don’t strike fear into anybody. Why don’t they cry about having to play such bad football schools as those two?
  • Berry Tramel
    ‎12‎:‎30‎:‎44‎ ‎PM
    Kansas and Iowa State are great schools, great conference members and have great other attributes, notably basketball. Someone has to finish last. It's straight physics. Cincy and Houston have positives and might work well in the Big 12. Whoever you bring in will have challenges. There are no slam dunks.
Tramel beating the drum

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

UConn’s commitment to big-time athletics is unassailable.

If that's the case, why is UConn's commitment assailed by the fat guy on their flagship radio station.

Reaction Score

That should be the Big 12’s criteria. Judge athletic programs on what they’ve done. Not on what they say they will do.

Which leads us to UConn. Among the schools outside the Power-5 conferences (and Notre Dame), Connecticut has far and away the largest athletic budget. According to USA Today’s annual research, UConn’s 2014-15 athletic budget was $72 million. The next highest total on the list was Cincinnati’s, $52 million.

Brigham Young is not on the list – USA Today was unable to find the figures for some schools – but BYU’s reported athletic budget is $57 million per year. UConn, with football attendance about half of BYU’s, spends more than do the Cougars.

That’s impressive. UConn’s commitment to big-time athletics is unassailable. It is not recent. Now, Connecticut has some other issues, which I addressed. But it’s clear that UConn is better-equipped than most to step into the high-stakes game of Power-5 athletics.

So Connecticut stands above the field. When you factor in UConn’s strong academics and its status as a flagship school in a populous state, the geographic problems are overshadowed.

More at:

I love this man.

jho

Reaction Score
I'm coming around on Tramel even if Berry with an "e" sounds like a stripper name.

Reaction Score
From the Cincy 247 board:

• Brett McMurphy on Louisville ESPN radio this morning briefly touched on Big 12 Expansion .
    He basically reiterated the same points he touched on last week .

- Not going to 14 (seems less and less likely) . Rumblings about staying at 10 , but really doesnt see that happening after interviewing 20 schools . it would be PR nightmare for them

- Looking like Sept/Oct time frame

- "The 10 presidents dont talk to me but looks like a 3 horse race UC/UH/BYU "

- He said he would guess UC/UH . BYU LGBT Honor Code and geography main issues with them.

• Expansion talk begins at 18:30 mark

Reaction Score
RE: The Tramel question, he's not writing these pieces unless he's hearing from sources that UConn has a real chance. To stake your reputation on pushing a school that so many in Big 12 country are skeptical of is a real risk.

That being said, I don't think he's getting these stories fed to him by OU, I think they are largely his pieces.

Reaction Score

• Brett McMurphy on Louisville ESPN radio this morning briefly touched on Big 12 Expansion .

- Not going to 14 (seems less and less likely) . Rumblings about staying at 10 , but really doesnt see that happening after interviewing 20 schools . it would be PR nightmare for them

- He said he would guess UC/UH . BYU LGBT Honor Code and geography main issues with them.

So basically he admits no one talks to him yet still opines anyway on the subject. K.

Reaction Score

I'll say it again. How can the non Texas schools allow another Texas school and only add 2? Are they that freakin stupid? I think the northen schools put the kibash on this expansion before letting Houston in with just 2.

Reaction Score
If only the University of Connecticut/Southern New England/greater Boston/Sixth Borough had a catchier ring to it we'd be in. In Jerry. In. That would be a better characterization of our reach

Reaction Score
On a day where it is announced the IRS is auditing the Louisville athletic department, I cannot believe the Big 12 would be dumb enough to add 2 more commuter schools. Just insane to do so which is why it will probably hapen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll say it again. How can the non Texas schools allow another Texas school and only add 2? Are they that freakin stupid? I think the northen schools put the kibash on this expansion before letting Houston in with just 2.
I'll take that one step further; another Texas school provides zero return to the TV providers (ESPN/Fox) yet costs them another full share. I can't see Houston without both UConn & BYU (the two that would provide a return) also added. Houston only works with a four school expansion.

Reaction Score
What does a "commuter" school have to do with the IRS? There actually auditing the entire book of personal services contracts. That's actually pretty common.

Reaction Score
If two teams with no fans join a conference will anyone notice?

Cincy at least expands the footprint. Ohio could use a second P5 school too. Cincy = Pitt essentially, though Pitt is a fine university academically, better than Cincy. But if you're only going to add a city school after all this, then you've failed. I get that Houston could be good for football, and that Houston is in a giant city (I could also argue that city is owned by other football powers, and that a good Houston football team hurts Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and even the Oklahoma schools).

But when you add it all up, the TV people will be underwhelmned by a combination of the 2.

If the net result is BYU and Cincy, well then there are no complaints.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

More at:

After his second complimentary piece on us in two days, I'm officially on board with the "Oklahoma is pushing for UConn" line of thinking. There is no other reason that, with this data having been readily available to any writer for many, many months, he would all of a sudden be pushing us unless he has been tipped off that decision makers at the school he has connections at gave him a reason to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom