Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 196 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Kyle Kensing@kensing45 1 hour ago
#UConn for #Big12Expansion; the more I think about it, the more I like it
Amid Big 12 Talk, UConn Football Has Big-Time Potential - CFBHuddle.com

(Kyle Kensing is a freelance sportswriter in Southern California, founder of CFBHuddle.com and Pac-12 Lead Writer. He is a member of the Football Writers Association of America with a decade of experience covering college football.)

I don't see these guys floating our name out there if they don't think we have an extremely good chance. Everything coming out before the last day or two has either snubbed us or said how "ridiculous" it was that we'd be considered. Either they've finally sat down and looked at the data or the grape vine is active.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Kyle Kensing@kensing45 1 hour ago
#UConn for #Big12Expansion; the more I think about it, the more I like it
Amid Big 12 Talk, UConn Football Has Big-Time Potential - CFBHuddle.com

(Kyle Kensing is a freelance sportswriter in Southern California, founder of CFBHuddle.com and Pac-12 Lead Writer. He is a member of the Football Writers Association of America with a decade of experience covering college football.)

Two things. First, when he states BCU is a historic program, is he saying that a 3 way tie for a Big East title and a hail mary equals historic?

Second, I'm glad to see expansion has started as apparently they added 1,000 seats to the Rent in the off season. :D

Reaction Score
Two things. First, when he states BCU is a historic program, is he saying that a 3 way tie for a Big East title and a hail mary equals historic?

Second, I'm glad to see expansion has started as apparently they added 1,000 seats to the Rent in the off season. :D
Also according to a sign the outlet shops will be open in 2016

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

They've been historically bad lately. Does that count?

Reaction Score
Jason McIntyre with a terrible write up on us...

Every Big 12 Expansion Option Stinks, There Is No Point Doing It

UConn: UConn is a small, solid athletics outfit. It’s also 500 miles further away than West Virginia. It doesn’t help the Big 12 penetrate the East Coast media market for TV or recruiting. But, hey, adding UCF and UConn could bring the “civil conflict” to the Power 5.

Small outfit? We sponsor more Varsity Sports than any other current Big 12 program and generated more revenue than 6 P5 programs this past year. We also have 21 National Titles.

Idiot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jason McIntyre with a terrible write up on us...

Every Big 12 Expansion Option Stinks, There Is No Point Doing It

UConn: UConn is a small, solid athletics outfit. It’s also 500 miles further away than West Virginia. It doesn’t help the Big 12 penetrate the East Coast media market for TV or recruiting. But, hey, adding UCF and UConn could bring the “civil conflict” to the Power 5.

Whatever anyone ever does - never click on anything from Jason McIntyre's site and reward him with even a fraction of a cent.

He represents everything that is terrible about sports coverage on the internet.

That his terrible site hasn't gone dark is the scariest thing about American society.

Your favorite pet could step on your laptop accidently and type something more coherent than you'll read there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Iowa State writer. The ISU president had a statement with qualified support for Houston, but included a comment about the league being Texas-centric and ISU being a northern school. Nevertheless, Peterson has Houston as the #1, and BYU-Cincy-UConn in the next three.

There's a poll included, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Current conference: American Athletic

Pro: This school will be good for what already is a very good basketball conference. It has four NCAA men’s basketball titles (Kansas has three), and the UConn women have 10, including the most recent four.

Con: It won’t improve Big 12 football — the Huskies are 8-17 in coach Bob Diaco’s (a former Iowa player) three seasons. The average home football attendance last season was 28,224 in the 41,000-seat Rentschler Stadium. Offsetting these negatives is the fact that this school can bring to the Big 12 huge fan bases in New York, Boston and throughout the Northeastern United States.

Big 12 fit: 3 stars

Chance of an invite: 45 percent

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 1h1 hour ago
If there was any doubt, UConn interested in Big 12. The $71M budget is a plus, a 40,000-seat stadium, probably not.

UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12 about interest
UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12 about interest | SportsDay

MG ‏@MG_918 · 1h1 hour ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN #UConnTwitter tells me that the stadium was built to be expandable to 60K

@MG_918 What caught my eye is the AD said it wouldn't be expanded until UConn starts selling out. What's football level of fan support?

@UCONNfan14 With UConn, the 2 biggest questions I have are football as whole (including support) and geography (which may not be an issue).

J‏@UCONNfan14
@ChuckCarltonDMN don't miss that he said he hopes to expand stadium but that comes with fan support first. must win or be in better conf.

@UCONNfan14 Definitely read that. Wondering what level of football fan support is. Will they turn out for anyone other than Texas or OU?

@UConn6thBorough I know it can be expanded. Just wondering if the fan support will be there even in the Big 12. Noticed the sellout quote.

@MattSchonvisky Not worried about it expanding. Just asking if the fan support will be there. Noticed AD mentioned need for sellouts.

@UConn6thBorough But will they show up for any Big 12 teams besides Texas, OU and maybe WVU (who they're familiar with)?

@Briuconn True and I'm not being negative, but a quick Google search shows attendance has dropped off. Will fans show up for Big 12 games?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 59m59 minutes ago
@djct1999 Not hard to sell out for UT and OU. You'll sell out for WVU, I imagine. What about OSU, Tech, K-State, TCU, Kansas, BU, etc?

Djct1999‏@djct1999
@ChuckCarltonDMN On the flipside, there is only 1 school that would sellout basketball arenas(m & f) when they came to town!

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 52m52 minutes ago
@djct1999 No argument. UConn at Kansas would be pretty cool as conference game. Same for UConn women vs. Baylor.

Steve Bullard ‏@stevebullard · 1h1 hour ago  Jenks, OK
@ChuckCarltonDMN because of their fan base and hoops success, does UConn have "upside" in that they could grow the most as a Big 12 team?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 58m58 minutes ago
@stevebullard I don't know. They bring a lot to the table now. The one bit of growth I see is football but there are question marks?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 53m53 minutes ago
@djct1999 It seems UConn is on right track. Question: With network coming, would ACC make a pitch to UConn (despite likely BC opposition)?

I wish someone here can interject RGIII's comment about playing at the Rent. Maybe sending it along to Benedict too when he goes hat in hand.

Reaction Score
Whatever anyone ever does - never click on anything from Jason McIntyre's site and reward him with even a fraction of a cent.

He represents everything that is terrible about sports coverage on the internet.

That his terrible site hasn't gone dark is the scariest thing about American society.

Your favorite pet could step on your laptop accidently and type something more coherent than you'll read there.
You have always reminded me to consider the pay grade.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 3m3 minutes ago
Interesting to hear one of Memphis’ pitches to Big 12 is its campus diversity, an area where Big 12 schools are woefully underrepresented

006.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Maybe he means the BCU is a historic program the way the Hindenburg was a historic blimp or the Edsel was a historic automobile.

Reaction Score
The ShaggyTexas and Landthieves are talking up Big 12 expansion as a cash grab...big money to be taken from the barbershop quartet and split up among the current 10...making those guys financially closer to the SEC/B1G while the new entrants will go for a long while on a reduced distribution.

The thought being that it is so worthwhile being in a P5 that any old gnarly piece of scrap tossed to the G5 candidate is better to them than than starving slowly.

I sure wish that the five or so candidates could get together and agree on a distribution that none would agree to go below...and stick to their guns. The Big 12 needs the new guys as badly as the new guys need the Big 12.

Sure it's OK to have to take a reduced distribution for a limited time...but it seems cold to plan on bringing in teams primarily for the purpose of raking off the monies that the media are forced by contract to give to the conference for their addition.

i really hope that this is more internet talk and that rational heads will decide that the best way to make a current G5 team more competitive in the P5 league, is to give them the financial resources to do so.

And...with a subsidy of $28 million to augment that $72 million athletic budget, UConn is one of the highest in the NCAA in subsidy. If the Big 12 offers $10 million per year, that will still leave a sizable $18 million subsidy or the athletic budget actually drops. Or am I wrong on this?

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Episode 19 of On Second Thought: Kirk and Ced give their picks on new Big 12 members | Hookem.com

A key UT blog meister and his partner down there discusses the teams they'd pick for expansion. If you can't listen (although it's interesting conversation as they explain their rationale) one picks BYU, UH, Cincy and UConn. The other guy chooses BYU, UH, Cincy and Tulane--but then changes his mind and endorses UConn. Discussion starts at about 3:00 and lasts about 10min.

It's so ridiculous to me that anyone remotely related to covering the Big12 would even mention the name Tulane. It wasn't long ago that 95% of us were holding our noses at the announcement of the inclusion to the AAC, much less a P5 conference. I have to believe that anyone with any real power in these decisions would be laughing at their mention too...

Reaction Score
The ShaggyTexas and Landthieves are talking up Big 12 expansion as a cash grab...big money to be taken from the barbershop quartet and split up among the current 10...making those guys financially closer to the SEC/B1G while the new entrants will go for a long while on a reduced distribution.

The thought being that it is so worthwhile being in a P5 that any old gnarly piece of scrap tossed to the G5 candidate is better to them than than starving slowly.

I sure wish that the five or so candidates could get together and agree on a distribution that none would agree to go below...and stick to their guns. The Big 12 needs the new guys as badly as the new guys need the Big 12.

Sure it's OK to have to take a reduced distribution for a limited time...but it seems cold to plan on bringing in teams primarily for the purpose of raking off the monies that the media are forced by contract to give to the conference for their addition.

i really hope that this is more internet talk and that rational heads will decide that the best way to make a current G5 team more competitive in the P5 league, is to give them the financial resources to do so.

And...with a subsidy of $28 million to augment that $72 million athletic budget, UConn is one of the highest in the NCAA in subsidy. If the Big 12 offers $10 million per year, that will still leave a sizable $18 million subsidy or the athletic budget actually drops. Or am I wrong on this?

Is what it is. Let us into a viable conference we can figure out the long term money later. Least of anyone's concern

Reaction Score
Is what it is. Let us into a viable conference we can figure out the long term money later. Least of anyone's concern
This. Can't allow anyone to under bid us here. The uptick in ticket sales plus 3rd tier kicker would be worth it IMO. I trust the people negotiating for uconn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I agree with the bulk of the post Billy. In your hypothetical, with UConn getting $10 million, keep in mind that they would also get their Tier 3 rights back. We could likely sell those off for close to another $10M. Think that's optimistic? WBB is probably worth $2-3M on it's own. SNY would gratefully take our excess FB and MBB games. I'd have to believe that that would be worth at least twice WBB, despite the fact that WBB has more Tier 3 content. I also believe that they'd be likely to take 4 hockey games. Add in coaches shows and it seems easy to get to $10M.

That's just SNY. What about CBSSN? I hate having games their, but I'd still gladly accept their cash. IS FS1 a possibility?

Now, that's a rough appraisal of our game against the current opponents. The B12 would be an upgrade so they value of the games would likely increase over time.

Right now we're looking at what @28K at the Rent. Think that number goes up with B12 opponents? Same goes with MBB and WBB.

New conference affiliation means clothing purchases to purge our closets of the dreaded American logo.

Why our move to the Big 12 could be the greatest economic engine of all time. It's good for the country, by god! Hopefully those B12 presidents are all good Americans, because if they are its a done deal.

(Okay the end was a little tongue-in-cheek, but you get the point. The B12 generates cash for us in a lot of different ways. We can be flexible on the TV money.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
9 million for the tier 3 TV rights would be quite a haul. It's one football game against FCS, a handful of men's basketball games and a bigger quantity of blowout women's basketball games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom