Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 195 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I laughed when I read that almost 3 months ago.

All kidding aside: Philly is an untapped gold mine. The biggest problem is that Villanova doesn't have a FBS team and no one really cares about Temple.

Philly=Boston, not sure how many Temple alum live in the area, but it's very hot and cold for football. Mostly cold.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 1h1 hour ago
If there was any doubt, UConn interested in Big 12. The $71M budget is a plus, a 40,000-seat stadium, probably not.

UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12 about interest
UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12 about interest | SportsDay

MG ‏@MG_918 · 1h1 hour ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN #UConnTwitter tells me that the stadium was built to be expandable to 60K

@MG_918 What caught my eye is the AD said it wouldn't be expanded until UConn starts selling out. What's football level of fan support?

@UCONNfan14 With UConn, the 2 biggest questions I have are football as whole (including support) and geography (which may not be an issue).

J‏@UCONNfan14
@ChuckCarltonDMN don't miss that he said he hopes to expand stadium but that comes with fan support first. must win or be in better conf.

@UCONNfan14 Definitely read that. Wondering what level of football fan support is. Will they turn out for anyone other than Texas or OU?

@UConn6thBorough I know it can be expanded. Just wondering if the fan support will be there even in the Big 12. Noticed the sellout quote.

@MattSchonvisky Not worried about it expanding. Just asking if the fan support will be there. Noticed AD mentioned need for sellouts.

@UConn6thBorough But will they show up for any Big 12 teams besides Texas, OU and maybe WVU (who they're familiar with)?

@Briuconn True and I'm not being negative, but a quick Google search shows attendance has dropped off. Will fans show up for Big 12 games?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 59m59 minutes ago
@djct1999 Not hard to sell out for UT and OU. You'll sell out for WVU, I imagine. What about OSU, Tech, K-State, TCU, Kansas, BU, etc?

Djct1999‏@djct1999
@ChuckCarltonDMN On the flipside, there is only 1 school that would sellout basketball arenas(m & f) when they came to town!

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 52m52 minutes ago
@djct1999 No argument. UConn at Kansas would be pretty cool as conference game. Same for UConn women vs. Baylor.

Steve Bullard ‏@stevebullard · 1h1 hour ago  Jenks, OK
@ChuckCarltonDMN because of their fan base and hoops success, does UConn have "upside" in that they could grow the most as a Big 12 team?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 58m58 minutes ago
@stevebullard I don't know. They bring a lot to the table now. The one bit of growth I see is football but there are question marks?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 53m53 minutes ago
@djct1999 It seems UConn is on right track. Question: With network coming, would ACC make a pitch to UConn (despite likely BC opposition)?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
IF (these are all big IF's) Bevo and the Sooner Schooner want to have travel a part of their decision making process for non-FB and BB sports, the Memphis has a check mark. IF, making UWV happy with more than 1 travel partner, Memphis is closer than Hartford.

As the crow flies, Storrs is considerably closer to Morgantown than Memphis is. Question is, is it easier/faster to get to Memphis by air than it is Hartford.

Reaction Score
We are not making statements - especially when we are probably also back channeling to the ACC one more time about spot #16.

I hope we're not doing that. If they come with a solid offer great. Chase them and we'll lose everything.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think OU and Texas would both lean towards UConn because of our standing academically and research-wise. And I would think some of the athletics department administrators at UT would also favor having UConn basketball in the league. Sure, their football coaches could dismiss UConn football for being a newish program without tradition. But it's not a vote by coaches. If I were going to worry about some schools objecting to UConn, it'd probably be TCU and Baylor.

Reaction Score
I think OU and Texas would both lean towards UConn because of our standing academically and research-wise. And I would think some of the athletics department administrators at UT would also favor having UConn basketball in the league. Sure, their football coaches could dismiss UConn football for being a newish program without tradition. But it's not a vote by coaches. If I were going to worry about some schools objecting to UConn, it'd probably be TCU and Baylor.

From what I've read, and who knows what is and isn't true, it's actually the opposite

Reaction Score
Josh Reddoch‏@JoshReddoch
@davidubben UCONN would be an absolute TERRIBLE fit for the Big 12. No natural rival, over 1000 miles from most other B12 schools.

David Ubben ‏@davidubben · 8h8 hours ago
If you still think rivalries or geography matter in conference realignment, I have some bad news for you, my friend

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Benedict is trolling. He's feeling pretty confident right now and can barely contain himself.
image.gif

Reaction Score
Bobby La Gesse ‏@BobbyLaGesse · 3h3 hours ago
ISU President Steven Leath on Big 12 expansion, potentially adding Hosuton and his desire for 'prestige' programs
Football: ISU, Leath to give Houston ‘fair shake’ in expansion, after ‘prestige’ programs

Iowa State President Steven Leath wouldn’t go as far as endorsing the Cougars, but is interested in the university as an expansion target.

“They certainly have a lot of factors we are interested in,” Leath told the Ames Tribune on Friday. “I feel a lot of the (Big 12) presidents feel the league is Texas-heavy already, which helps with the Texas schools, but it’s a little problematic for the rest of us to go from the very northern part of the league like us to the very southern part of the league.

“All I can say on that is they will get a fair shake. We will take a good serious look at it if they continue to express interest.”

Leath didn’t publicly support Houston or any potential Big 12 expansion target on Friday, but did say that an ideal candidate would bring a good fan base, a strong academic reputation and potentially a TV market the league isn’t in yet.

“You also want one with a history of running good, clean programs that an add prestige to a league,” Leath said.

Location in relation to the rest of the league is an issue Leath believes the Big 12 must consider when looking at expansion targets.

“We do have to look a little it at geography,” Leath said. “If you put two or four different schools that are wildly different geographically and it’s very difficult on our student-athletes and specifically raises the cost.”

Extending the league’s grant of rights, which runs through 2024-25, is something that will be discussed if the league expands, Leath said.

Reaction Score
Bobby La Gesse ‏@BobbyLaGesse · 3h3 hours ago
ISU President Steven Leath on Big 12 expansion, potentially adding Hosuton and his desire for 'prestige' programs
Football: ISU, Leath to give Houston ‘fair shake’ in expansion, after ‘prestige’ programs

Iowa State President Steven Leath wouldn’t go as far as endorsing the Cougars, but is interested in the university as an expansion target.

“They certainly have a lot of factors we are interested in,” Leath told the Ames Tribune on Friday. “I feel a lot of the (Big 12) presidents feel the league is Texas-heavy already, which helps with the Texas schools, but it’s a little problematic for the rest of us to go from the very northern part of the league like us to the very southern part of the league.

“All I can say on that is they will get a fair shake. We will take a good serious look at it if they continue to express interest.”

Leath didn’t publicly support Houston or any potential Big 12 expansion target on Friday, but did say that an ideal candidate would bring a good fan base, a strong academic reputation and potentially a TV market the league isn’t in yet.

“You also want one with a history of running good, clean programs that an add prestige to a league,” Leath said.

Location in relation to the rest of the league is an issue Leath believes the Big 12 must consider when looking at expansion targets.

“We do have to look a little it at geography,” Leath said. “If you put two or four different schools that are wildly different geographically and it’s very difficult on our student-athletes and specifically raises the cost.”

Extending the league’s grant of rights, which runs through 2024-25, is something that will be discussed if the league expands, Leath said.
@jostar1 If those are the metrics they will use to judge candidates on..I like UConn's chances as much as any school mentioned!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom