Kevin McNamara (Prov. Journal) says Tranghese back to advising Marinatto | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin McNamara (Prov. Journal) says Tranghese back to advising Marinatto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know we get this from UConn fans on the football board all the time, but someone still has to explain to me why a championship, in any sport, is worth less because some third party has determined you were only the champion and not the "best" team. I just don't get that. If the Cards win the world series this year, do you think they will lose any sleep over the fact that they were clearly not the best team until the post season started?
When the championship is decided in a tournament style format where it's determined on the field, there's virtually no explanation why the champion isn't the best team.

Reaction Score
Come back to earth man. They finished 9-9 in the Big East, tied for 9th place. They got lucky in the tournament.
Wish I could be so lucky.
And by the way which tournament did they get lucky in? The toughest conference in the country's or the really big one that has all the best teams? Just lookin for some clarification.

And you are probably right, why would the ACC want the school that has the most wins combined in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball over the last two years than any other D1 school.

Reaction Score
I know we get this from UConn fans on the football board all the time, but someone still has to explain to me why a championship, in any sport, is worth less because some third party has determined you were only the champion and not the "best" team. I just don't get that. If the Cards win the world series this year, do you think they will lose any sleep over the fact that they were clearly not the best team until the post season started?
Well, according to this computer...While in the real world, UCONN won the National Championship. 68 teams got bids and they all started 0-0. When they played "One Shining Moment" only one hadn't lost. The guys in National Flag Blue & Whilte.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Why would the ACC want the school that has the most wins combined in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball over the last two years than any other D1 school.

Because 10 teams are now complaining its a 2 team league in basketball and a 2 team league in football? The last thing they want is someone good. It's everything they stand against. It's communal mediocrity ruined by Duke and NC in basketball and Virginia Tech and Clemson in football. They've lowered FSU and Miami and BC to their level and see SU and Pitt as easy and compliant programs ready for a life of listless mediocrity. Who at Pitt wants to see Pitt play Wake Forest in any sport?

Reaction Score
Well, according to this computer...While in the real world, UCONN won the National Championship. 68 teams got bids and they all started 0-0. When they played "One Shining Moment" only one hadn't lost. The guys in National Flag Blue & Whilte.

I wish the internet was 30 years old. I wonder if this poster would have explained to me why 'Nova shouldn't have valued their championship, or Seton Hall their run to the final, because they were just lucky because they weren't the "best" teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. It's just those that failed crying over spilled milk. Happened with the Giants last year. They were the worst team to make the playoffs, as were the Cards the last time they won a WS I believe. I'm sure Canucks fans feel this way about the Bruins.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN evolved into the best team. Their defense became suffocating and the length and quickness of the group made them almost impossible to beat when combined with Kemba's ability to close a game.

Reaction Score

If UConn wasn't the best team, then the best team had an equally undeserving regular season, and by that I mean: --> Arizona. I find it difficult to put last year's Ohio St. team over UConn. Kansas too. In fact, UConn was the 4th most common choice to win it before the NCAA tourney by ESPN bracket users.

Reaction Score
If UConn wasn't the best team, then the best team had an equally undeserving regular season, and by that I mean: --> Arizona. I find it difficult to put last year's Ohio St. team over UConn. Kansas too. In fact, UConn was the 4th most common choice to win it before the NCAA tourney by ESPN bracket users.

Sorry if I was not clear -- the point is not whether UConn was or wasn't the "best" team last year, whatever that means. The point is that in a league that crowns a champion, the only thing that matters is the objective fact of who wins that championship, not the subjective fact of what people's opinions of that team are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry if I was not clear -- the point is not whether UConn was or wasn't the "best" team last year, whatever that means. The point is that in a league that crowns a champion, the only thing that matters is the objective fact of who wins that championship, not the subjective fact of what people's opinions of that team are.

This is true. It's also true that many sports don't bridge the gap between determining a champion and crowning the best team. College football, college basketball and baseball probably do the worst job, I guess maybe I should find different favorite sports.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is true. It's also true that many sports don't bridge the gap between determining a champion and crowning the best team. College football, college basketball and baseball probably do the worst job, I guess maybe I should find different favorite sports.

Especially MLB. The fact that there is an 162 game regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs is a 5 game series is a farce.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Especially MLB. The fact that there is an 162 game regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs is a 5 game series is a farce.

Can't you see the solution is adding more playoff teams! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom