Kevin McNamara (Prov. Journal) says Tranghese back to advising Marinatto | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin McNamara (Prov. Journal) says Tranghese back to advising Marinatto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just ask Villanova, Georgetown and ND which conference they want to hitch their wagons. The Football or the basketball only's. They want to be with the football schools. That's all you need to know. Even they don't want to be associated with Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Depaul et al.

Reaction Score
Just ask Villanova, Georgetown and ND which conference they want to hitch their wagons. The Football or the basketball only's. They want to be with the football schools. That's all you need to know. Even they don't want to be associated with Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Depaul et al.
+1
Also, when Tranghese was told by Providence, SJU, Hall and alike to seek out the acc for a potential home for football schools, it was the genesis that showcased how unstable the conference was. And the acc has taken advantage of it ever since. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID

Reaction Score
+1
Also, when Tranghese was told by Providence, SJU, Hall and alike to seek out the acc for a potential home for football schools, it was the genesis that showcased how unstable the conference was. And the acc has taken advantage of it ever since. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
You're right, but I wouldn't be so hard on the guy. No one in the BE recognized the changing landscape, or believed it, actually. No one. Just like blaming Pitt for blocking PSU 20 years ago. Just like Uconn deciding not to upgrade to D1A 40 years ago. Who knew? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reaction Score
You're right, but I wouldn't be so hard on the guy. No one in the BE recognized the changing landscape, or believed it, actually. No one. Just like blaming Pitt for blocking PSU 20 years ago. Just like Uconn deciding not to upgrade to D1A 40 years ago. Who knew? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You're right.

This stuff is brutal. I'm a classic East Indies dude that is frustrated watching Northeast college football identity dissolve at the hands of espn's greed and southern ideology.

Reaction Score
Media Consultants. The large conferences have oodles of Bob Sugar's running around pitching deals and every team is like a needy baby with their "Show me the Money" thing and their rich daddy boosters telling them how to get ahead.

And there's the Virginia Tech example which you know Pitt and SU are anxious to buy into to cover their recent failings. You can hear them now piching better facilities and better recruiting and modeling themselves after V Tech. It wasn't bad management: it was a loser conference.

>> The harmonic convergence of the stadium upgrades and the move to the ACC meant the Hokies nearly doubled their annual football revenue in four years, going from $21 million in 2002 to an ACC-high $40 million in 2006. Not even Florida State or Clemson, both of which boast home stadiums with 80,000 seats, equaled the Hokies' income.

Basketball immediately sold out of season tickets in 2004-05, an unprecedented feat in its history. Guaranteed to host Virginia and likely to see at least one of the triumvirate of Duke, North Carolina and Maryland annually, it had something to sell.

The bottom line has been impressive. Virginia Tech athletics reported $65,487,381 in revenue for the tax year ending June 30, 2007 it's first year as a full ACC member.

That's impressive? UConn had $60+m revs in those years as well. I'm sorta scratching my head trying to figure this out.

Reaction Score
The ACC doesn't want UConn deal with it.

Who are the reigning national champs? When has your school ever even sniffed a championship. When you're talking about UConn bball, you're talking blue blood. Top 5 program in the country. The Catholics aren't even in the top 20.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every school not as good as UConn and Syracuse sucks? Do you really believe that? You are talking about 2 Top 10 programs of the last 30 years. That is a ridiculously high standard, don't you think?
Seriously, are you ever going to get tired of making up positions for other posters? It clutters up the board.

Reaction Score
[
Who are the reigning national champs? When has your school ever even sniffed a championship. When you're talking about UConn bball, you're talking blue blood. Top 5 program in the country. The Catholics aren't even in the top 20.

Well apparently bball doesn't matter anymore.

But blue blood, seriously? Blue blood, as in ruling class, not earned but bestowed by birth right. That's an interesting description. Should be no problem obtaining a membership to any exclusive club. Unless UConn is viewed by others as "new money". The top 20 is constantly changing, just ask UCLA and Indiana.

All time wins: # 7 St. Johns - 1724, #9 Notre Dame - 1701, #27 Villanova 1551, #28 UConn - 1549
Final Four appearances: Georgetown - 5, Villanova - 4, Marquette - 3, St. Johns - 2, DePaul - 2, PC - 2, Notre Dame -1, Seton Hall - 1, UConn - 4, all with outstanding bball history.

Reaction Score
[

But blue blood, seriously? Blue blood, as in ruling class, not earned but bestowed by birth right. That's an interesting description. Should be no problem obtaining a membership to any exclusive club. Unless UConn is viewed by others as "new money". The top 20 is constantly changing, just ask UCLA and Indiana.

All time wins: # 7 St. Johns - 1724, #9 Notre Dame - 1701, #27 Villanova 1551, #28 UConn - 1549
Final Four appearances: Georgetown - 5, Villanova - 4, Marquette - 3, St. Johns - 2, DePaul - 2, PC - 2, Notre Dame -1, Seton Hall - 1, UConn - 4, all with outstanding bball history.

Go on living in the past.
UConn is a top program. Yours is hanging out with mothballs.

Reaction Score
[

National Championships: Georgetown-1, Villanova-1, Marquette-1, UCONN-3...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I wonder if he's going to show up with a Jay Wright sig file next.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This has gotten petty and stupid. The basketball only schools in the BE are nice schools, with proud histories athletic and otherwise. I personally think they would be better served by splitting off and raiding the best non FBS schools in the east, St. Joes, UMass, Butler etc. I'd call it the Big North, since nothing about DePaul or Marquette is "east".

BE football schools can do one of three things: 1. be consumed by other leagues 2. create a half-assed monstrosity with a geographic footprint that spans 2/3 of the country or 3. retrench and become a non BCS AQ northeast focused league for all sports.

For those chosen, #1 is clearly the best option. I suspect that option #2 is nothing more than a lifeline while waiting for option #1. Option #3 is a downgrade, but would possibly be stable. The speculation on #2 has been all over the board. What would #3 look like (with two making a jump from FCS):

UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Louisville, WVU, Temple, Army, Navy, Delaware, UMass

Pretty soft after WVU for FB. But possibly pretty stable. Anyone who thinks a league with schools from CT, NJ, FL, TX and CO has long term viability is crazy.

Reaction Score
Tweeted this tonight.

This was Tranghese from two weeks ago:

"The basketball schools need to go to the right and have a serious conversation," he said. "They have been through a lot, they have never prevented the football schools from doing what they needed to do but they have now been bludgeoned twice by football expansion. They have to look at life on their own and I think life on their own they can be successful."
Marinatto: "I can't decide"

Tranghese: "I think you're better off getting the veal marsala w/ a good red, you can always get the garlic bread w/cheese as a side."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
That's impressive? UConn had $60+m revs in those years as well. I'm sorta scratching my head trying to figure this out.

In 2008 UConn reported $55 million and V Tech $65 million (Equity in Ahthletics Database via ESPN). Adjusting out University support and Student Fees there was a $12 million differential in V Tech's favor for 2007-08. That differential could eliminate student fees and pay for the practice center in 5 years.

Reaction Score
Go on living in the past.
UConn is a top program. Yours is hanging out with mothballs.
Come back to earth man. They finished 9-9 in the Big East, tied for 9th place. They got lucky in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Come back to earth man. They finished 9-9 in the Big East, tied for 9th place. They got lucky in the tournament.

24-0 against a tough schedule out of conference. I see you left out the actual BE championship, the tourney. You emphasize the smaller part of the schedule (18 games) over the larger part (40 games+) when the larger part was against tougher teams and had tougher games.

By the way, UConn is the NCAA champion, your school is totally irrelevant.

Reaction Score

They sure did get lucky. They were really lucky when you think about it because they were so young. The young guys didn't improve by the end of the year, they just got luckier. I have a feeling Jeremy Lamb is going to be surprisingly lucky this year too. Roscoe Smith played some awfully lucky defense in the tournament. Then again, he was lucky to be born with such long arms. No talent on that team.

Reaction Score
The ACC doesn't want UConn deal with it.

How did you conclude that the ACC doesn't want UConn? They're not ready to extend an invitation just yet and maybe they'll never do that, but I wouldn't say they don't want UConn. I'm guessing most of the ACC members would be fine with adding UConn, though there are a few who don't feel that way, namely BCU.

At this point I only see two options. Either UConn gets and accepts an ACC invitation or ends up staying with the remaining BE FB programs in some form or fashion along with a few FB additions that won't come close to the level of who will leave the Big East (Pitt, SU, WVU?). I guess there's some remote chance that if the Big-12 gets significantly raided, we could see a BE-Big12 type merger where you have an East Coast and a Midwest division. TCU would certainly welcome something like that.

I'm saddened that this whole conference realignment thing is taking place. We have been part of the best BB conference the past couple years, and a BCS-FB conference that has talent we can complete with. Most saw the BE as marginal as far as deserving a BCS bid and that perception is only going to get worse. BB wise, we will be able to compete nicely in BB, but will have our work cut out for us to compete for the upper echelon in FB.

I just don't think we're going to hear much about our fate till next summer at best which makes it tough for the BE when it comes to either bolstering the conference with more FB/BB schools or splitting the FB/BB and BB only schools apart.

Reaction Score
Please list teams that:
1: Had a better OOC profile of wins.
2: They did not beat that they "should have" to gain credibility. Note: Ohio State doesn't count as we twice defeated the team that eliminated them. Also note: Kansas lost to VCU, thus disqualifying them from being worthy of this category.
3: Won both the regional semi/final game on, essentially, the home court of the opposing team.
4: Won five games in five days.
5: Went undefeated in all tournament/elimination games, including winning 11 in a row when it counted the most.
6: Went undefeated out of conference against one of the toughest OOC schedules in the nation, most of which was on the road.
7: Held their championship game opponent to an all-time low shooting percentage. Note: The "Butler just missed shots" argument only proves a lack of knowledge about basketball, because if you look at the game from any objective standpoint, the vast majority of Butler's offensive issues came as a result of UConn, not their own unforced errors.
8: Won the title.

Next, please inform me how we "got lucky" in 1999 and 2004. Then maybe you can decode how Jim Calhoun "got lucky" and won 800 games and made it to the Hall of Fame. Oh, I can answer that one! He cheated!

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it was their 3rd NC in 12 years. That's pretty farggin' good. Get your head out of mothballs.......

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it was their 3rd NC in 12 years. That's pretty farggin' good. Get your head out of mothballs.......

I know we get this from UConn fans on the football board all the time, but someone still has to explain to me why a championship, in any sport, is worth less because some third party has determined you were only the champion and not the "best" team. I just don't get that. If the Cards win the world series this year, do you think they will lose any sleep over the fact that they were clearly not the best team until the post season started?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I guess there's some remote chance that if the Big-12 gets significantly raided, we could see a BE-Big12 type merger where you have an East Coast and a Midwest division.

I'm saddened that this whole conference realignment thing is taking place. .

I'm resigned to Air Force and Navy as a replacement for Pitt and SU.

The Nova upgrade, UCF and Houston?

Temple, ECU, and SMU? I don't know. I think Boise has to be in the mix if WVU leaves. I'd take them over a Temple add. A bad but necessary marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom