Kenya Hunter to Indiana | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter to Indiana

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That type of thing is never called to decide a game, much less a championship game. Watch the NBA playoff games, that type of contact on the other side of the court happens a dozen times a game with no call.

Imo you have to make those calls because they stop the ballhandler’s momentum and give the defense a clear advantage.

it was a reckless play by the defender that cannot be rewarded, no matter the time left.

Reaction Score
Quick search has these base salary figures at Indiana. According to this, Kenya was earning more than Bruiser Flint and pretty much equal to their Associate Head Coach. That rumor that he took a paycut to go there might be true. Kenya will take Indiana’s unlimited recruiting budget to finish middle of the pack behind Rutgers in the Big Ten with good recruits. Way to win Ken.

What he says may or may not have merit, but the perception of UConn is that it is in dire financial straits and is no longer a big time school.

Reaction Score
What he says may or may not have merit, but the perception of UConn is that it is in dire financial straits and is no longer a big time school.

Thanks almost entirely to the school’s accounting practices and its failure to ever come out and say anything bold and confident to the media regarding our athletic program. We are always quiet about these things when we should display some swagger. There are some simple explanations for a lot of the numbers you hear that make them seem far more palatable.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is not so much that our budget is less than PC5 schools. It is that we have been operating on a P-5 budget in the hopes of getting into a big conference but having AAC income.
We have to continue to come down to earth a bit and lower that deficit. But I don't think either basketball team will feel the pinch.

C

Chief00

I think the problem is more structural. We have too many parasite politicians earning money off our Rent and XL relationships while the school gets hosed. We need to own the home venues we play in. We also need more favorable accounting on how scholarships get booked. The Indiana write-up also includes one time conference change charges. We also have a bloated bureaucracy to support.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the problem is more structural. We have too many parasite politicians earning money off our Rent and XL relationships while the school gets hosed. We need to own the home venues we play in. We also need more favorable accounting on how scholarships get booked. The Indiana write-up also includes one time conference change charges. We also have a bloated bureaucracy to support.

Details?

Reaction Score

I’d be interested to know the politicians “who are earning money” from XL Center and Rent.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It is not so much that our budget is less than PC5 schools. It is that we have been operating on a P-5 budget in the hopes of getting into a big conference but having AAC income.
We have to continue to come down to earth a bit and lower that deficit. But I don't think either basketball team will feel the pinch.
Agreed. They are probably the only self supporting programs that Uconn has.

C

Chief00

I’d be interested to know the politicians “who are earning money” from XL Center and Rent.
CRDA salaries/bonuses and the politically connected lobbyists, who get paid for the work to support the continuation of those cash sucking relationships - both at XL and The Rent.
Despite the second and third parties cash draining - is either a better customer experience than Gampel - a production UConn does by themselves?

Reaction Score
CRDA salaries/bonuses and the politically connected lobbyists, who get paid for the work to support the continuation of those cash sucking relationships - both at XL and The Rent.
Despite the second and third parties cash draining - is either a better customer experience than Gampel - a production UConn does by themselves?

Oh I see I thought when you said politicians you meant politicians. Carry on.

C

Chief00

Oh I see I thought when you said politicians you meant politicians. Carry on.
How do you think they get hundreds of millions of dollars for the CRDA? You think they get those bills passed with no political connections or lobbyists? In a chargeback way, these funds ultimately line their pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agreed. They are probably the only self supporting programs that Uconn has.

Actually, each of the basketball programs loses a few million. Amazing what the cost are to exceed all that revenue. But I think they will be ok with that. The goal is to lose less money.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Strong yet vague accusations that "feel" right.

Reaction Score
How do you think they get hundreds of millions of dollars for the CRDA? You think they get those bills passed with no political connections or lobbyists? In a chargeback way, these funds ultimately line their pockets.
You can only explain the world to these casuals so many times. If they don’t want to listen, well what can you do?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Actually, each of the basketball programs loses a few million. Amazing what the cost are to exceed all that revenue. But I think they will be ok with that. The goal is to lose less money.

Travel has been brutal the last few years.

The air charters are quite expensive.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE

The State pays for all or at least the vast majority of all construction on campus, on all state campuses. Always has. The entire school infrastructure is paid by the tax payers through bond funds. The school cannot support itself. UCONN doesn’t do much financially on its own.

CRDA would gladly hand the money draining XL and RENT off to anyone else who would take them. Otherwise CRDA makes money through debt and equity positions.

The State pays for all or at least the vast majority of all construction on campus, on all state campuses. Always has. The entire school infrastructure is paid by the tax payers through bond funds. The school cannot support itself. UCONN doesn’t do much financially on its own. Of UCONN had to pay for its own infrastructure, it would out of business. CRDA would gladly hand the money draining XL and RENT off to anyone else who would take them. Otherwise CRDA makes money for the State.

Who do you think paid for the Rent? It wasn’t UCONN.

Frankly I would rather the $3 BILLION we put into the campus (with bond funds) since 1995 should have gone to relocating the entire campus to Hartford rather than forcing everyone into the sticks At Storrs.

C

Chief00

I realize the state has always paid for construction on the Storrs campus. The state of course also funded the construction of The Rent and recent XL renovations. My recommendation is have UConn run these two venues. CRDA has no expertise in that field. At least this way you have a clean line of direct accountability and control over the future.

The Hartford Wolfpack controls XL schedules creating poor unoptimal scheduling of UConn games against local pro football teams and NFL playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
So true. Sometimes Chief doesn’t fully appreciation how limited the Casuals real World experiences are.

It's tough trying to fully appreciation those who know less than you, I'm sure.

C

Chief00

It's tough trying to fully appreciation those who know less than you, I'm sure.

True, Chief has business experience, which often reveals how the World works. But, more importantly is being student centric. We are here to serve our students not to be served by them. Everything about UConn should revolve around the simple question - What’s best for the students? They need a place at the decision table. That is why we are positioned where we are now with basketball. What’s great about the Blaze Strategy is the recruits get to direct the making of their own pizza. The well intentioned Casual Fans, focused on First Night highlights, sometimes don’t understand the symbolism behind that. The recruits also make our future basketball success. Everything about MBB is student athlete centric. That doesn’t mean that they won’t experience tough love our motivational comments but it means it’s all about the players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Respectfully, I will point out that your linking the failed CDRA with the state investing in the infrastructure of its colleges and universities is a false premise. All states fund their public universities, but Connecticut is unique mandating that it’s flagship university play home games a half hour away from campus and pay artificially high amounts for that privilege. The end result is the funds Connecticut pays to lease these venues hides the losses of the CDRA: and artificially inflate the deficit in our athletic department. Chief is spot on on this.

Reaction Score
I realize the state has always paid for construction on the Storrs campus. The state of course also funded the construction of The Rent and recent XL renovations. My recommendation is have UConn run these two venues. CRDA has no expertise in that field. At least this way you have a clean line of direct accountability and control over the future.

The Hartford Wolfpack controls XL schedules creating poor unoptimal scheduling of UConn games against local pro football teams and NFL playoffs.

So who do you think has expertise at UCONN? I’m sure UCONN would reject control of the XL center bc they don’t want the blame. There is nothing that will produce revenue for the XL Center in a small market city like Hartford. To be honest, it the nasty name calling and attacks that you throw around against CRDA are unmerited and ridiculous.If you want to blame, blame the Legislature who force us to keep supporting a non-viable venue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom