Kemba Walker... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kemba Walker...

Reaction Score

“Criteria for inductionEdit

In contrast to the Pro Football and the National Baseball Halls of Fame, Springfield honors international and American professionals, as well as American and international amateurs, making it arguably the most comprehensive Hall of Fame among major sports. Since 2011, the induction process employs a total of seven committees to both screen and elect candidates. Four of these committees screen prospective candidates”

It’s a basketball HOF not an NBA HOF , thanks for that fact.
The NBA is only a small part of Basketball history a true World Game.
Any B.B. HOF without Wooden or the Globetrotters is pretty pathetic.
If they decide that Kemba Walker leading a bunch of freshman who finished 9th in their league to inprobably win 5 games in 5 days for the league championship .
Then go on to win 6 more to win he NC is important enough for one of their committee to find worty of remembering. Why not , That a story that 50 years from now that will still compelling especially if it’s never done again. It has legend potential.
Whether an NBA fan thinks that’s its a worthy story or not is really irrelevant.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It occurs to me that as of now, Kemba's backup at PG is a lock for the HOF. When you're playing ahead of a guy that's gonna get in, you'd damned well better get in too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It occurs to me that as of now, Kemba's backup at PG is a lock for the HOF. When you're playing ahead of a guy that's gonna get in, you'd damned well better get in too.

Yeah, all he need is 7-8 hall of fame caliber seasons over the next 7-8 years.

Reaction Score
Don't bet against it!

Kind of shocked how good of a career Tony Parker has had. Career averages of 16ppg, 6a, 3r, and 1s
-6 ASG
-3 All NBA 2nd Teams
- 1 All NBA 3rd Team
-Rookie of the Year
-MVP 07 Finals
-Had MVP votes in 7 different seasons
-4 Championships

Look at Tim Hardaway's career (not in HOF)
-5 ASG
- 1 All NBA 1st Team
-3 All NBA 2nd Teams
-1 All NBA 3rd Team
-Had MVP votes in 4 different seasons

Career averages of 18 ppg, 8 assists, 1.5 rbs, 1 steal

Pretty close but Tony is considered a lock and Tim H isn't in yet.

Edit- Did some research and he made some awful comments about Jon Amaechi. That will do it.

Reaction Score
Lakers need to drop Lonzo and bring in Kemba. That’d be fun.

He’s put up 20ppg for 3 straight years and is over 18 and 5 for for a 7 year career. I think most remarkable is his almost 3:1 assist:TO ratio as a guy who has been the primary ball handler for bad teams. That’s crazy. Not to mention my great dog shares his name. View attachment 33098
My dogs nam is Kemba too!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Kind of shocked how good of a career Tony Parker has had. Career averages of 16ppg, 6a, 3r, and 1s
-6 ASG
-3 All NBA 2nd Teams
- 1 All NBA 3rd Team
-Rookie of the Year
-MVP 07 Finals
-Had MVP votes in 7 different seasons
-4 Championships

Look at Tim Hardaway's career (not in HOF)
-5 ASG
- 1 All NBA 1st Team
-3 All NBA 2nd Teams
-1 All NBA 3rd Team
-Had MVP votes in 4 different seasons

Career averages of 18 ppg, 8 assists, 1.5 rbs, 1 steal

Pretty close but Tony is considered a lock and Tim H isn't in yet.

Edit- Did some research and he made some awful comments about Jon Amaechi. That will do it.

When all's considered in this thread so far, I don't think anyone is disputing the 1.5% chance that is currently projected for Kemba. Kawhi Leonard's 6% doesn't seem all that impressive either. Still, both aren't yet 30, and if Leonard were to sustain and Walker exceeds what they've already accomplished over the coming decade, then you've got one guy in and one who could be considered. I think all of KW's barriers have been laid out, and they are not inconsiderable, but the only assertion, originally, was not to bet against him.

In late 2010, I blurted out, "He's the best player in college basketball" during the Hawaii tourney. If someone had said, "Don't bet against him leading UConn winning 11 straight games," I would have laughed, even though I thought he got too few calls during the Big East season and would do better in the NCAA tournament after the miracle of MSG in the wake of the Maker's Muppet post. I'm not sure the OP ever intended more than that type of consideration.

Especially because I don't really follow the NBA, I found it educational & gratifying that Kemba has turned into his team's star. But without my watching NBA until round two of the playoffs, I've only seen YouTube highlights and a bit more since he wore a UConn jersey.

I'd love to see him get with a good team, break into a next level, and make a mark big enough to land in Springfield. Even with your not unwarranted skepticism, I'd wager you would too. Who wouldn't?

And yeah, I do like that he's won 2 sportsmanship awards too. One to cancel Hansbrough and the other to cancel Fredette.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Granted, the 1.5% is whether they will make the Hall of Fame with their accomplishments to date, but saying, "don't bet against it," indicates there is a better than average chance (i.e 6/5 or pick'em). Not a just a slim possibility.

As much as I appeciate his accomplishments, Kemba not making the Naismith Hall is a bet I'd make every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Granted, the 1.5% is whether they will make the Hall of Fame with their accomplishments to date, but saying, "don't bet against it," indicates there is a better than average chance (i.e 6/5 or pick'em). Not a just a slim possibility.

As much as I appeciate his accomplishments, Kemba not making the Naismith Hall is a bet I'd make every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Happy Sunday.

pj

Reaction Score

You'd take the non-Kemba side on a straight bet, but what odds would make you flip? I'd take Kemba at 3:1.

Reaction Score
You'd take the non-Kemba side on a straight bet, but what odds would make you flip? I'd take Kemba at 3:1.

I think any objective basketball fan would still take non-Kemba side at 3:1. Come on. I hate to denigrate a guy who I consider 1a or 1b as the greatest men's husky player of all time, but he's 28 and he's made 2 all start teams. Has he made an olympic team? Does he get consistent call ups to the training camps? Honestly, 1.5% chance seems right for Kemba and even maybe a bit too much. He's not making it. Drummond, of all our recent alums, probably has the best shot (albeit probably just as long as Kemba's chances) because he's younger, he's got one insane attribute, and he has plenty of time in his career to end up on a team that wins him a few championships.

pj

Reaction Score
I think any objective basketball fan would still take non-Kemba side at 3:1. Come on. I hate to denigrate a guy who I consider 1a or 1b as the greatest men's husky player of all time, but he's 28 and he's made 2 all start teams. Has he made an olympic team? Does he get consistent call ups to the training camps? Honestly, 1.5% chance seems right for Kemba and even maybe a bit too much. He's not making it. Drummond, of all our recent alums, probably has the best shot (albeit probably just as long as Kemba's chances) because he's younger, he's got one insane attribute, and he has plenty of time in his career to end up on a team that wins him a few championships.

Point guards can have long careers. Two comparables:
  • Steve Nash, who entered the Hall of Fame this year, played 19 seasons. He made 8 all star teams. His first was in 2001-2002 when he was -- wait for it -- 28 years old.
  • Jason Kidd, who also entered the Hall of Fame this year, played 19 seasons. He made 10 all star teams. By the time he was 28, he had made 3 all star games (1996, 1998, 2000).

So at age 28, Kemba's career is running a little ahead of Steve Nash's and a bit behind Jason Kidd's. Still, it's a pretty typical career track for Hall of Fame point guards, who have their best years from age 28-36.

A lot depends on him getting onto a top team and being able to combine top performance with winning. Stats are always more impressive when gained on a winning team with top teammates.

Agree that Drummond has a great chance too, but big men have shorter careers.

Reaction Score
Andre will probably end up a top 5 rebounder of all time, in total rebounds, if he remains at his current pace through the rest of his prime. If he can consistently average 18-20 PPG for his 26-31 year old seasons that’ll obviously enhance his case. But being one of the greatest rebounders ever if, (and yes I know big if) he can stay healthy, he will have a good shot.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Point guards can have long careers. Two comparables:
  • Steve Nash, who entered the Hall of Fame this year, played 19 seasons. He made 8 all star teams. His first was in 2001-2002 when he was -- wait for it -- 28 years old.
  • Jason Kidd, who also entered the Hall of Fame this year, played 19 seasons. He made 10 all star teams. By the time he was 28, he had made 3 all star games (1996, 1998, 2000).

So at age 28, Kemba's career is running a little ahead of Steve Nash's and a bit behind Jason Kidd's. Still, it's a pretty typical career track for Hall of Fame point guards, who have their best years from age 28-36.

A lot depends on him getting onto a top team and being able to combine top performance with winning. Stats are always more impressive when gained on a winning team with top teammates.

Agree that Drummond has a great chance too, but big men have shorter careers.
Kidd made his 5th All-Star game in his age 28th year ('01-'02). He was an All Star in '96, '98, '00, and '01 previously. He also led the league in assists 3 times by then and received MVP votes in 5 seasons before his 28 Y.O. year.

Be that as it may, both Nash and Kidd are anecdotal. In fact, I've said in previous posts in this thread, that Kemba would have to become the second coming of Steve Nash to make the Hall. I think he has about the same chances of doing both. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's going to make an S-ton of money and there is nothing wrong with being a really good NBA player.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I love Kemba and I can't wait to see him in a bigger market on a team with championship aspirations

But he's not going to be a hall of famer, come on.

Oh really?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Walker is going to ride his 4 year Celtic contract (and likely 3 year renewal) down The Pike and into the Hall of Fame. He's going to surpass Steve Nash. Book it. ;)

Reaction Score
Walker is going to ride his 4 year Celtic contract (and likely 3 year renewal) down The Pike and into the Hall of Fame. He's going to surpass Steve Nash. Book it. ;)
Surpass Steve Nash in what?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Surpass Steve Nash in what?
Nash was a relative late bloomer, winning the MVP in his 31 and 32 year old seasons. I wrote earlier in the thread, that Kemba would have to be the second coming of Steve Nash to be elected to the Hall of Fame and I didn't see it happening.

But now that he is a Celtic. All bets are off. Walker is a Springfield Shoo-in.

Reaction Score
I am starting to think Kemba could one day be enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. Nice credentials thus far:

I certainly wouldnt bet against him.
I am starting to think Kemba could one day be enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. Nice credentials thus far:

I certainly wouldnt bet against him.
You’re leaving out his freshman year at UConn. He scored 23 points in the Elite Eight, taking UConn to the Final Four. He was named to the Big East All Rookie Team and averaged 25 minutes a game in spite of only starting in 2 games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lakers need to drop Lonzo and bring in Kemba. That’d be fun.

He’s put up 20ppg for 3 straight years and is over 18 and 5 for for a 7 year career. I think most remarkable is his almost 3:1 assist:TO ratio as a guy who has been the primary ball handler for bad teams. That’s crazy. Not to mention my great dog shares his name. View attachment 33098
Good looking dog. What's the mix?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You’re leaving out his freshman year at UConn. He scored 23 points in the Elite Eight, taking UConn to the Final Four. He was named to the Big East All Rookie Team and averaged 25 minutes a game in spite of only starting in 2 games.
5 wins, 5 days helps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom