Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Defining Pulido and Lawlor as mainly practice players doesn't mean they don't work hard. Nobody values practice more than Geno Auriemma. I just don't think there will be time for them to play this year with maybe a scant few exceptions. How many other top-5 or top-10 teams ever play walk-ons? I can't think of any.
TLaw is Stewie's bodyguard. Small, quiet, unassuming Black Belt.

Reaction Score
That's basically a double team and I can't imagine teams doubling Gabby Williams with so many other offensive weapons on the court at the same time. And really, UConn doesn't do a lot of isolation plays that take the time needed to double. Gabby herself is incredibly quick.

Penn State sorta did this with a trap two years ago and it actually was fairly effective, but KML and Tuck were both out with injuries. If any team has the wherewithal to beat a double it's this year's Huskies.

That wasn't what I was saying. I was in no way suggesting a double team or trap. Quite the contrary. What I'm suggesting is for example- say Reimer from Notre Dame is guarding Gabby. The 1st pass is made to Gabby as UCONN is running their high-low - the one-four offense. Gabby catches the ball above the free throw line. As a result of this is the high-low set say Stewie is now the "low." Thus Stewie the one that is flashing to the basket as part of the high-low thereby awaiting a possible pass from Gabby.

IMO there is no way Reimer isn't dropping off Gabby the moment Gabby catches the pass above the ft line and getting sufficiently enough in the lane making the potential pass from Gabby to Stewie extremely, extremely difficult. However what would Reimer have to do if she were to guard Tuck? She's have to take at least one step closer to Tuck than she does vs Gabby, right? I know we weren't talking about Tuck vs Gabby. But -- now take this a step farther. What would happen if NC were at the high post and caught the same ball that Tuck or Gabby caught -- above the ft line? Would Reimer sag like she would with Gabby thereby making the ball harder to get into Stewie ? Or would she have to take a step or two closer to guard Napheesa? What I'm saying is- NC may give UCONN "more options" vs elite teams vs Gabby. So if she is "better" (the other parts of NC's game come along) and can do basically the same thing in other categories but has a more rounded offensive game which could translate better vs the elite teams, why give Gabby the same amount of minutes?

Now with that said - suppose you have a lineup of MJ, KN, KLS, BS and MT? Then -- as I think what happened was at the end of the season in particular in the NCAA's - Stewie began knocking down 3's. The opposing team's sf is 5'10. Not that unusual is it (the opposing sf that is 5'10 will follow,guard KLS - not try to guard Stewie)? Suppose you put KLS at the high post? And also other times let her work on some low post? Let's face it, Geno is NOT going to JUST keep KLS/ pin her on the outside. KLS has to learn. By learning - she will be taking away a few minutes (not a lot) from other "high post" players. In this case KLS, NC, BS and Tuck can play both wing and ofc depending who defends KLS - all four offer the offensive versatility to be able to work on their post play. OFC KLS is limited but the scenario I gave you -- you can work a few minutes on her post play. If Gabby can't shoot like last year, what's the point of having her work on being a sf? Maybe she can be "Kelly" in that regard. Her defense could be super. Maybe. Maybe she can knock down shots. But if she can't. Then the ceiling of KLS and NC imo will be more "rewarded" via playing time. Anytime you move the frosh to the post- it potentially takes away from Gabby's time.

I did sort of say/imply GW would get 15 minutes - while KLS and NC get 17-18 minutes. So it's not like I think GW isn't real good. She is. I just think what KLS and NC will bring -- will be better. I'm guessing just like everyone else. I just think if GW can't shoot like last year- her limitations are more than the 2 frosh. And if that's the case, why give her big minutes vs the elite teams if the frosh and potentially even Butler "offer more?"

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please do not put Courtney Ekmark in the same sentence as the great Husky Kelly Faris.
I got to stick up for Sonny here. He was not the one that first made the association of Kelly Faris with Courtney Ekmark.
Bret McCormick was back in 2014. If you correspond with Bret as I have on occasion he'll assure you this was not his first miss and it won't be his last. Plus Courtney has 3 years left to prove him correct.
"You just wait and see, She (Courtney) is going to be one of Geno Auriema's favorite players. She reminds me so much of Kelly Faris, only with a better shot as a younger player."
Bret McCormick, All Star Girls Basketball '2014.
http://articles.courant.com/2014-01...40120_1_courtney-ekmark-uconn-women-kia-nurse

Reaction Score
Williams played 5 mins against Notre Dame almost all at the very end, and 6 against Maryland. So, again, I don't see how anyone can take much of anything from those games.

As for your other question, it seems to be apples and oranges. I'm not suggesting Ekmark get 4 minutes a game. If she does she likely will want to play elsewhere. Look, Geno wasn't taking any chances again SC so he went with his main five. But there were certainly other games against quality competition where Williams could've played more. And I'm betting she will this year.

Baylor, ND, SC, Maryland, and a few of the other top teams had numerous blowouts of large proportion, but I'm not sure why it matters. UConn had 8 recruited players two seasons ago, and 9 last year, 8 when Ekmark was out. They have 11 this year. The circumstances are different in terms of available bodies.

Williams played 5 mins against Notre Dame almost all at the very end, and 6 against Maryland. So, again, I don't see how anyone can take much of anything from those games.

Again – if the end of the games don’t matter for Gabby, why then should they matter for CE seeing how you don’t want the walk ons to play? Secondly, in the games against lesser teams you can see the moment she comes in, there is an impact. In the 5-6 minutes she plays vs ND you can see the struggles.

As for your other question, it seems to be apples and oranges. I'm not suggesting Ekmark get 4 minutes a game. If she does she likely will want to play elsewhere. Look, Geno wasn't taking any chances again SC so he went with his main five. But there were certainly other games against quality competition where Williams could've played more. And I'm betting she will this year.

I don’t agree it’s apples to oranges. In those 50 point games there are 4 or 3 minutes left- why not give them to the walk ons? Say Ekmark has already played 5. How far do you keep CE in? How much do those extra 2 minutes help CE when we're up by 60?

And I don’t doubt that some big games GW might get more- but I wouldn’t doubt in some of the blowouts in the game or two that follows that she might also gets less.

So - yes – she could have played more. Geno isn’t perfect – nobody is too. But the kids ahead of Gabby deserved minutes and want to play too. Geno has said all of them would love to play 40. But Geno owes no obligation last year to play Gabby 20 minutes or more when he was stacked with the top 6 and the same this year. For example, there are other posters on here that think Stokes got ripped off by Geno – so they may argue Stokes should have seen several more than Gabby (some would say – so she can worked more on her low postgame.). Because where else are you taking the minutes from? The starters? None saw 29.

Baylor, ND, SC, Maryland, and a few of the other top teams had numerous blowouts of large proportion, but I'm not sure why it matters. UConn had 8 recruited players two seasons ago, and 9 last year, 8 when Ekmark was out. They have 11 this year. The circumstances are different in terms of available bodies.

Because you aren’t playing to embarrass teams by 70 points. There are reasons why UCONN has won by double digits the past two years- they have been head and shoulders above everyone else. With that- you just can’t go and look to rout in a humiliating fashion everyone that doesn’t have close to your talent by 70 plus points. Not using the walk-ons imo you are actively looking to rout some teams by 70-75 points etc. If he lets his top players stay in, they will humiliate some teams – the other teams you mentioned above haven’t been close to UCONN the past two years. ND somewhat close but we’ve double-digit beaten them. SO imo you can’t use the other teams as a barometer. We’ve been too good and this year’s team is obscene.

So as for the other teams having numerous ones – but they didn’t have as many overall blowouts by our margin. And for example – ND’s Loyd and Allen averaged 6 more minutes per game than BS and MJ. Give these UCONN top 2 kids those extra 6 minutes, then we may very well win games by 75 points. We’ve won by 60. When is enough – enough? And how much better would BS and MJ be with those extra 3 minutes each?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got to stick up for Sonny here. He was not the one that first made the association of Kelly Faris with Courtney Ekmark.
Bret McCormick was back in 2014. If you correspond with Bret as I have on occasion he'll assure you this was not his first miss and it won't be his last. Plus Courtney has 3 years left to prove him correct.
"You just wait and see, She (Courtney) is going to be one of Geno Auriema's favorite players. She reminds me so much of Kelly Faris, only with a better shot as a younger player."
Bret McCormick, All Star Girls Basketball '2014.

Coco- I promise you, I wouldn't attack Sonny, McCormick, you or anyone else who thought (or still thinks) Courtney's gonna be a good one at UConn. I hope I'm totally wrong and you guys are on the money. Heck, Geno thought highly enough of her to sign her, and I know better than to think I'm even in the same basketball-smarts universe as Coach. But at this point, you have to admit the KF/CE comparison seems far-fetched at best.

In Courtney's defense, 1) she likely lost some conditioning after she returned from the foot injury; 2) compared to other states, Arizona high school basketball may not have offered really high-level competition; 3) she never played any International USA ball (like many others did), so the step up from HS to top level college play might have been overwhelming and required more of an adjustment than she was able to make; 4) she was rusty, not having played ball her senior year in HS.
GO GET 'EM, Courtney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a total knock to TLAW and Pulido when you say there "were only 9 players." There were 11 players, including Pulido who is on scholarship. Perhaps TLAW will be this year. You want to predict less playing time for those two, go ahead, but please understand they have earned the right to be called players. Geez..!!

David---Without a doubt TLAW and Polly have earned the right to be called players. TRUE.
You and we know that even the coaching staff considered them in different terms or they'd be in many games earlier. They are great kids with great attitudes and deserves respect--no one doubts that.
Im replying because I have been guilty of placing them apart from the current 11 highly rated scholarship players. No disrespect intended. On Senior night they shall be honored, probably more loudly, than those ranked coming in to Uconn. It's like Macey CZEL , Fernandes, and others all deserved and got respect and honored on senior night they are just thought of differently, biased maybe. They are respected for attitude, ability to stay in when it would be easy to leave---just differently than say DT.

Reaction Score
“Williams definitely had reigns on her. She rarely played more than 3-4 minutes in any first half and hardly played at all against the best opponents UConn faced. I don't think shooting was the issue. She was terrific at pretty much everything else, sans ball-handling, and UConn didn't lack shooters.”

No not what I remember vs the elite teams. Can’t remember for sure but I seem to recall being a little bummed out one time she came in vs an elite team and I think she had 2 or 3 quick fouls within a minute or two.

I somehow remember another time she had a shot from in close and the ball hit nothing but the backboard vs an elite team. Another time I remember the moment she came in she committed a turnover right away. These are things I could have imagined but I doubt it. I also think I remember her getting bullied a bit in the paint but that might have been the quick fouls.

I root for her big time – but logically as a freshman – someone who isn’t a post player – it is extremely rare like that kid from Baylor that you’ll see a kid as undersized as Gabby able to out guile her opponents. Because she is so small, vs the elite teams, she needs more than just hops.

While you say he reined her in a bit. I say he logically limited her time because she wasn’t quite ready.

“We'll see. There will be a significant minutes crunch the way it is, so I don't see the point cutting even more minutes from the freshmen, Ekmark, etc. Someone or someones is/are going to get PT limited with this roster. Who would you rather it be, the heavily recruited future of the team, or the walk-ons? In a perfect world everyone would get time. It's not a perfect world.”

If I’m the coach, and I speak of heart and how much I pride I place on my team for playing the right way, and even would sacrifice a win because I don’t like how my team or player is playing (see several years ago I think Geno deliberately benched Charde and some team I think Pitt - came roaring back and he needed Charde but never put her back in.), I think in a 50 point game I’m giving 2.5 minutes to the walk ons as a reward. I don’t believe CE would have gotten better for example if she wound up playing 9.7 like she did last year or if it was 12.2.

As for the issue with the 2 freshmen NC and KLS – imo the two walk-ons shouldn’t affect them. Because I have them as the 2nd tier players behind the Big 4. Thus if I keep them in, I’m advertising I’m going to win some games by 75 points while keeping the walk-ons on the bench. In the last few minutes, I don’t think a 70 point game helps them.

Hypothetical---all the discussion on Playing time. No need for any heated discussion--when the time comes== Geno and Christine shall make the decisions of who plays when. All my emails to Geno saying play Courtney more will be trashed..

In the early run up score games my choice is for Jefferson, Stewie, Tuck and Nurse to get exceptional sitting time. They have been running those bodies for too many hours against the best in WBB. USA was defeated by Canada for a few reasons two of which are Stewie and Jefferson played to many minutes and were tired/exhausted and Nurse had her best game ever!! So rest them without losing chemistry and have them recovered fully for the run to the 11th Championship.

Reaction Score
This is not the way (Geno making hole) UCONN works regardless of how highly ranked the player is. The player by way of practices EARNS his spot on the floor. Nothing is promised, everything is earned.
\

A truism that isn't always true. Charde by all accounts was terrible in practice--probably would call it lazy--but because of the lack of talent/ie scoring Charde was the only weapon and Geno used her. Not happily but he used her.
If i were a betting man, I'd bet if Stewie had a bad practice or two she'd still play against ND, Stanford, Baylor, Duke.

Reaction Score
\

A truism that isn't always true. Charde by all accounts was terrible in practice--probably would call it lazy--but because of the lack of talent/ie scoring Charde was the only weapon and Geno used her. Not happily but he used her.
If i were a betting man, I'd bet if Stewie had a bad practice or two she'd still play against ND, Stanford, Baylor, Duke.
Whos is Charde ??? Charde Houston?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How about respect? Is that nothing?

Showing a lack of respect -- especially gratuitously -- can get some people upset.

Where did you see a lack of respect much less a gratuitous lack of respect?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IMO there is no way Reimer isn't dropping off Gabby the moment Gabby catches the pass above the ft line and getting sufficiently enough in the lane making the potential pass from Gabby to Stewie extremely, extremely difficult.

I did sort of say/imply GW would get 15 minutes - while KLS and NC get 17-18 minutes. So it's not like I think GW isn't real good. She is. I just think what KLS and NC will bring -- will be better. I'm guessing just like everyone else. I just think if GW can't shoot like last year- her limitations are more than the 2 frosh. And if that's the case, why give her big minutes vs the elite teams if the frosh and potentially even Butler "offer more?"

I can tell you've really thought this through, but in your scenario I still don't see a problem that passing the ball back out can't alleviate. I honestly don't see teams sagging on Gabby Williams. If she was the lone star at BYU or something, maybe. But with that talent and offensive wizardry around her? Beyond that, her other abilities to defend, pass, run the floor, hit the boards, and just be disruptive will keep her on the court. That's not to say an improved jumper wouldn't be helpful.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don’t agree it’s apples to oranges. In those 50 point games there are 4 or 3 minutes left- why not give them to the walk ons? Say Ekmark has already played 5. How far do you keep CE in? How much do those extra 2 minutes help CE when we're up by 60?

I think you keep the recruited players in period. The walk-ons provide an important role and by all accounts are great teammates and nice young women but they weren't brought to UConn to help win games. All the other players were. If UConn's roster had been eleven deep two years ago there likely wouldn't be walk-ons on the team. To me, the recruited players take priority. And again, if someone like Ekmark is only getting 5 minutes as a sophomore then I have doubts she will see her future as a Husky.

With that- you just can’t go and look to rout in a humiliating fashion everyone that doesn’t have close to your talent by 70 plus points. Not using the walk-ons imo you are actively looking to rout some teams by 70-75 points etc. If he lets his top players stay in, they will humiliate some teams – the other teams you mentioned above haven’t been close to UCONN the past two years. ND somewhat close but we’ve double-digit beaten them. SO imo you can’t use the other teams as a barometer. We’ve been too good and this year’s team is obscene.

So as for the other teams having numerous ones – but they didn’t have as many overall blowouts by our margin. And for example – ND’s Loyd and Allen averaged 6 more minutes per game than BS and MJ. Give these UCONN top 2 kids those extra 6 minutes, then we may very well win games by 75 points. We’ve won by 60. When is enough – enough? And how much better would BS and MJ be with those extra 3 minutes each?

UConn is already beating teams by 60+ points, and those aren't efforts to embarrass anyone. As Geno would say, it's not up to UConn to play down to others, it's up to others to stop them. What obligation does he have to keep his players from performing and developing to appease other teams? Part of the reason the Huskies slowed down at the end of blowouts is because the back end of the roster wasn't as good/ready to expand the lead. That's not likely to be an issue this year.

I'm not talking about giving Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson gobs more minutes. If you sit the starters--BS, MT, MJ, KN, and, say, Butler--you still have KLS, Collier, Williams, Chong, Boykin, and Ekmark left over. I don't get the point in sitting three of them and intentionally trying to not expand leads. That's not basketball at that point; just have a mercy rule and call it off then.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical---all the discussion on Playing time. No need for any heated discussion--when the time comes== Geno and Christine shall make the decisions of who plays when. All my emails to Geno saying play Courtney more will be trashed..

In the early run up score games my choice is for Jefferson, Stewie, Tuck and Nurse to get exceptional sitting time. They have been running those bodies for too many hours against the best in WBB. USA was defeated by Canada for a few reasons two of which are Stewie and Jefferson played to many minutes and were tired/exhausted and Nurse had her best game ever!! So rest them without losing chemistry and have them recovered fully for the run to the 11th Championship.

Heated????????????????????????????????

What made you think these were heated???????????

Previously I even thanked slu -- he and I have disagreed over time a bit and it NEVER NEVER became "heated." What made you think this was "heated?"

I'm more "heated" with your comment (I'm not heated - just having fun with you) than at any point during all of my back-and-forths with slu.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco- I promise you, I wouldn't attack Sonny, McCormick, you or anyone else who thought (or still thinks) Courtney's gonna be a good one at UConn. I hope I'm totally wrong and you guys are on the money. Heck, Geno thought highly enough of her to sign her, and I know better than to think I'm even in the same basketball-smarts universe as Coach. But at this point, you have to admit the KF/CE comparison seems far-fetched at best.

In Courtney's defense, 1) she likely lost some conditioning after she returned from the foot injury; 2) compared to other states, Arizona high school basketball may not have offered really high-level competition; 3) she never played any International USA ball (like many others did), so the step up from HS to top level college play might have been overwhelming and required more of an adjustment than she was able to make; 4) she was rusty, not having played ball her senior year in HS.
GO GET 'EM, Courtney.
Courtney needs no defense. At this point comparisons of Kelly Faris to Courtney are not just far -fetched, the comparisons were/are flat out wrong.

Reaction Score

Previously I even thanked slu -- he and I have disagreed over time a bit and it NEVER NEVER became "heated." What made you think this was "heated?"

I'm more "heated" with your comment (I'm not heated - just having fun with you) than at any point during all of my back-and-forths with slu.
Broadway - absolute truth that GA & CD will decide starters, sub rotation, minutes, all of it. That's why they get the big bucks now isn't it/ If only they would pay us instead. HAHA!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
\

Broadway hopefully you realize the contradiction. Regardless of how she practiced, if a player (Charde) is your only weapon you are not making much of a concession by playing her are you?

Reaction Score
I think you keep the recruited players in period. The walk-ons provide an important role and by all accounts are great teammates and nice young women but they weren't brought to UConn to help win games. All the other players were. If UConn's roster had been eleven deep two years ago there likely wouldn't be walk-ons on the team. To me, the recruited players take priority. And again, if someone like Ekmark is only getting 5 minutes as a sophomore then I have doubts she will see her future as a Husky.

UConn is already beating teams by 60+ points, and those aren't efforts to embarrass anyone. As Geno would say, it's not up to UConn to play down to others, it's up to others to stop them. What obligation does he have to keep his players from performing and developing to appease other teams? Part of the reason the Huskies slowed down at the end of blowouts is because the back end of the roster wasn't as good/ready to expand the lead. That's not likely to be an issue this year.

I'm not talking about giving Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson gobs more minutes. If you sit the starters--BS, MT, MJ, KN, and, say, Butler--you still have KLS, Collier, Williams, Chong, Boykin, and Ekmark left over. I don't get the point in sitting three of them and intentionally trying to not expand leads. That's not basketball at that point; just have a mercy rule and call it off then.

I can tell you've really thought this through, but in your scenario I still don't see a problem that passing the ball back out can't alleviate.

But that is the beauty/superiority of Collier and Samuelson. It’s an example why they have the advantage offensively over GW. With them, you don’t have to pass the ball back out. They can take the shot because they can hit it with a certain efficiency/frequency (I expect NC will- I know KLS and Tuck and Stewie will). Gabby can’t as of right now. Once she shows she can hit it- different ball game. They are a triple threat just beyond the ft line, Gabby isn’t yet.

I think you keep the recruited players in period.

Okay – we can agree to disagree here.

But Geno does play down to teams. He pulls his full-court press early. No traps in half court. He tells his team to stop looking to run fastbreaks. And a more minor point is that when they had 9 players he could have easily not played the walkons as well. Why not play the 9 scholarship players last year and not play the walkons at all? Nine is enough and no one was even close to being worn down last year.

But you used ND as an example. ND’s top two players played more minutes. You brought up ND. Secondly, as mentioned above we still had other players, especially when CE came back, to not play the walk-ons- but we/Geno still did. And if there was a mercy rule- it would be called off, but Geno has deliberately shown mercy with hwo he pulls presses and tarps and stops his team from running fastbreaks.

And I don’t get the point of not rewarding players that wear the UCONN uniform. If they wear the UCONN uniform and practice hard for the team, I don’t get the big deal of playing them the last 2.5 minutes of a game while the UCONN team is already up by 60 points. If you aren’t going to play the walkons at all then just kick them off all practices and don’t let them sit with the team and don’t let them wear the uniform. What’s the point of their wearing the UCONN uniform if they aren’t allowed to play?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Once she shows she can hit it- different ball game. They are a triple threat just beyond the ft line, Gabby isn’t yet.

Neither is Butler, so in essence the team would face the very problem you are concerned about when she in the game too except Gabby is quick enough to drive around players. Somehow I don't think this is going to be an issue.

But Geno does play down to teams. He pulls his full-court press early. No traps in half court. He tells his team to stop looking to run fastbreaks. And a more minor point is that when they had 9 players he could have easily not played the walkons as well. Why not play the 9 scholarship players last year and not play the walkons at all? Nine is enough and no one was even close to being worn down last year.

He may choose to do those same things this year as well. I wouldn't, but at the very least the recruited players should be in the game, imo. As for last year, if he sits his starters, for instance, there is at least one spot automatically open on the floor for a walk-on. This year, there isn't.

And I don’t get the point of not rewarding players that wear the UCONN uniform. If they wear the UCONN uniform and practice hard for the team, I don’t get the big deal of playing them the last 2.5 minutes of a game while the UCONN team is already up by 60 points. If you aren’t going to play the walkons at all then just kick them off all practices and don’t let them sit with the team and don’t let them wear the uniform. What’s the point of their wearing the UCONN uniform if they aren’t allowed to play?

It's not a BIG deal, but I would play the scholarship players first. As I've said before, they really weren't brought in to play. They were brought in to help in practice, maybe to fill in at the end of games because the roster stood at eight. Circumstances have changed. You're right that I brought up ND earlier. When was the last time they played walk-ons?

Reaction Score
Is There A
Katie Lou Samuelson
Somewhere in this tread???????????
10988273_783542841736615_5354264214088385454_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Neither is Butler, so in essence the team would face the very problem you are concerned about when she in the game too except Gabby is quick enough to drive around players. Somehow I don't think this is going to be an issue.

He may choose to do those same things this year as well. I wouldn't, but at the very least the recruited players should be in the game, imo. As for last year, if he sits his starters, for instance, there is at least one spot automatically open on the floor for a walk-on. This year, there isn't.

It's not a BIG deal, but I would play the scholarship players first. As I've said before, they really weren't brought in to play. They were brought in to help in practice, maybe to fill in at the end of games because the roster stood at eight. Circumstances have changed. You're right that I brought up ND earlier. When was the last time they played walk-ons?

Which is why I have 15 minutes for Butler too. And yes – exactly when Butler is in – you are the defense – you sag. In the ND title game that is exactly what ND did vs Stokes. That’s why initially in part I favor the KLS/NC for slightly more minutes though I’d start Butler. And as I said – Butler is going to have some games Geno uses his “you are the worst post in America” formula. And in some games the college refs will put the screws on NB.

And I'm not sure where you are going with "quickness." NC is very quick too. Anyhow, you have Reimer sagging and you have Stewie in the lane with a defender on her, how effective is Gabby's quickness with the big bodies in the lane and Reimer's bigger body waiting for GW to drive knowing she can't shoot?

In regards to overall all of this being an issue for UCONN - ofc it won’t. We’re much much better than all the other teams. But it doesn’t take away from GW’s weaknesses.

Also- I had mentioned before – I’m not sure if true – but was GW cut from a summer all-star team in which KLS and NC made?

I guess we agree to disagree with what we would do.

When was the last time they (ND) played walk-ons?

ND is not the standard in WCBB. UCONN is. ND flashed a certain "personality" two years ago and it was downright ugly. I can go off on how overall imo the University is arrogant and is complete bully also- but that is besides the point. We shouldn't try to go backwards and be ND. Those kids dress up and wear the UCONN uniform. If they wear it- they should have an opportunity to play. Otherwise why give them the uniform this year or even bother to have them on the bench an have them travel with the team?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the minutes issue - one of the things Geno and the coaches are dealing with in games is chemistry, and you have to give your top players enough time on the court to continue to build that chemistry amongst themselves, but also with the top bench players (for times in games when Stewart or Jefferson or ____ picks up two quick fouls.) So 20-25 minutes for starters is a minimum in most games - 10-15 minutes in the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half (to build on the coming out of the locker room mentality) even in complete blow-outs. Add in minutes so Jefferson and Lou get comfortable, or Kia and Collier, etc.
And while most of the conditioning comes from practice, there is a different level of conditioning from playing flat out in games for 10 minutes straight when there are no 'do-overs', and the score really matters, and fouls really count.
As for Lou (and the OP) - I think she more than the other two recruits provides an element that is not replicated amongst returning players and most closely resembles the skill that was lost to graduation (KML.) For that reason, always depending on practice and adaptation to the college game, I could easily see her being the first/most minutes off the bench player on the team. That takes nothing away from Collier or Boykin, just recognizes different skill sets and team needs. (Collier strikes me as a different version of Morgan, Boykin as competing for minutes with Williams and Morgan and Stewart.)

(In a similar way to Lou, the closest replacement for Kiah is Butler - a center presence and rebounder - I expect her to start, but even if she doesn't I would still expect her and Lou to be the highest bench minute players)

Last thought on Lou - her ability to come off screens, take a pass, and rise and fire is not dissimilar to Maya's in college - we see Stewart do some of that, but I would not be surprised to see those 'Maya plays' run for Lou during her years in college.

Reaction Score
Broadway hopefully you realize the contradiction. Regardless of how she practiced, if a player (Charde) is your only weapon you are not making much of a concession by playing her are you?

It is definitely the exception that proves the point---No policy is written in the tablets from the Mount and are subject to revision. Any contradiction is not mine--maybe Geno's for speaking one thing -etc. I thought the concession and reversal of standing policy huge!! Why then if he made this concession did he not make a concession at the SD game in her home area and let her play prior to almost mid way in the half, this her Senior home coming game?????? Seems the policy shifts as the mode shifts.

Terrible practice player, exceptionally bad at travelling prior to scoring, excellent defender--played the point in the press with abandon,
her bad habits were laid out on the media for all to discuss--or I never would have known them. Had done better in the Pro's .

Reaction Score

Are you suffering from some mental illness--this repeating of a single word is significant is a major indicator--
Turette Syndrome comes to mind.

I don't get HEATED---(just having fun with ya' all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom