Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So am I but -- when you are up by 50-- imo Geno will give all the kids some minutes. It's not like the lead keeps expanding at rapid rate late. Many games the lead is outrageous early in 2nd half/ late in 1st half - and with this year's talent- imo he's going to reward all team members to an extent. There has to be reward for practices. As for Gabby, she was fine with 15 minutes last year. Why play GW more if BS, MT, NB, NC and KS are all better? Why not give her the same if she doesn't come back with a decent jump shot? It doesn't have to be "good" just "decent." Why would Geno give her more minutes knowing very well she seemed to have struggled vs big teams while someone like NC, because she can actually shoot, proves that she wouldn't struggle as much?

To Gabby, I think she's a special talent and I believe Geno thinks so too. Think the reigns come off a bit this year. She does too many things well to not get increased minutes if possible. As for the walk-ons, last year one of them had to be on the court in the last 5 minutes of a blowout if Geno decided to sit all his starters; there were only 9 players. That won't be the case this year barring injuries. I have a hard time seeing super young talents sit while walk-ons play. That's not a knock on the walk-ons, just a realistic view.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
To Gabby, I think she's a special talent and I believe Geno thinks so too. Think the reigns come off a bit this year. She does too many things well to not get increased minutes if possible. As for the walk-ons, last year one of them had to be on the court in the last 5 minutes of a blowout if Geno decided to sit all his starters; there were only 9 players. That won't be the case this year barring injuries. I have a hard time seeing super young talents sit while walk-ons play. That's not a knock on the walk-ons, just a realistic view.
It is a total knock to TLAW and Pulido when you say there "were only 9 players." There were 11 players, including Pulido who is on scholarship. Perhaps TLAW will be this year. You want to predict less playing time for those two, go ahead, but please understand they have earned the right to be called players. Geez..!!

Reaction Score

I don't think she had any reigns on her. She couldn't shoot. He tried to play her a bit vs the tall teams and she struggled. If NC and KLS and NB are better - have more of an impact, I don't see why Gabby should get equal minutes.

And I don't agree about the number of players had much of an impact. Stokes could have played more minutes. CHong could have played more. Gabby could have played more. He could have thrown in a starter. None of their starters hit 29 minutes. So it's not like they would have been "worn down." Their starters were limited. Plus as CE got healthier- if Geno was so concerned with minutes - he would have made it a point that one of the 2 would never enter the game. Yet he elected to still put in both -- I think. I could be wrong but I don't think so. At the end of the season when CE came he would have then have 4 bench players - instead he still used both. In games when UCONN is thoroughly embarrassing another team - no way he doesn't use the walk ons.

I could be wrong - I understand your point but let's look at the Cinci game when Pulido got 9 minutes. UCONN won 96-36. Obviously Pulido and Lawlor aren't as efficient as the other UCONN players. What might the score be while the walk ons are on the bench? We might score 106 plus points, the other team has a bit of a harder chance to score which we know quite a few games teams score late - now it doesn't happen as much we're winning this game by maybe 75 points. While the walk ons are on the bench. I just don't see that.

The two kids play hard in all the practices. I just can't see that going unrewarded because Geno wants to give NB and GW the extra couple of minutes when we are already up by 50 points with just three or 4 minutes left. They are a part of the team. Does this make me soft? :):)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is a total knock to TLAW and Pulido when you say there "were only 9 players." There were 11 players, including Pulido who is on scholarship. Perhaps TLAW will be this year. You want to predict less playing time for those two, go ahead, but please understand they have earned the right to be called players. Geez..!!
David I did not take Slu's point as at knock at the walkons at all and even if the number of "Players" was 11- his point which was (One of the walkons would be in the game during the last five minutes of blow out games) is still valid. It is straight up math. 11 Players, minus 5 starters leaves 6 players to put on the floor. If two of 6 non-starters are walkons and you have to put 5 players on the floor them at least one of them has to be a walkon.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I would think people could see that is referring to scholarship players. The walk-ons were not brought on because UConn needed more players during games. They were added because UConn was short of practice players. No need to parse things and get upset over nothing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think she had any reigns on her. She couldn't shoot. He tried to play her a bit vs the tall teams and she struggled. If NC and KLS and NB are better - have more of an impact, I don't see why Gabby should get equal minutes.

Williams definitely had reigns on her. She rarely played more than 3-4 minutes in any first half and hardly played at all against the best opponents UConn faced. I don't think shooting was the issue. She was terrific at pretty much everything else, sans ball-handling, and UConn didn't lack shooters.

The two kids play hard in all the practices. I just can't see that going unrewarded because Geno wants to give NB and GW the extra couple of minutes when we are already up by 50 points with just three or 4 minutes left. They are a part of the team. Does this make me soft? :):)

We'll see. There will be a significant minutes crunch the way it is, so I don't see the point cutting even more minutes from the freshmen, Ekmark, etc. Someone or someones is/are going to get PT limited with this roster. Who would you rather it be, the heavily recruited future of the team, or the walk-ons? In a perfect world everyone would get time. It's not a perfect world.

Reaction Score
Steven, Welcome. Etienne was the name of my first relative in North America in 1660.
Broadway ....thanks for the welcome. I have been following the boneyard for many years...I just don't post that often.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Williams definitely had reigns on her. She rarely played more than 3-4 minutes in any first half and hardly played at all against the best opponents UConn faced. I don't think shooting was the issue. She was terrific at pretty much everything else, sans ball-handling, and UConn didn't lack shooters.

I think it's "reins" not "reigns". I don't think Geno imposed limitations on Gabby. As a very athletic player who was playing out of position, she wasn't able to compete as well against teams with strong inside players such as South Carolina. That might change this year, since she has a year of experience at that position. But it may not.

Shooting is absolutely an issue. When UConn plays with its normal starting five, every one of them could space the floor and hit threes, which allowed Moriah and Kia to slash to the basket, since Stewie/KML/Tuck could draw the inside help outside. With Gabby in (and Stokes, also) defense were able to pack the paint when she had the ball outside of 10 feet. This stalls the offense considerably. Obviously against weaker teams Gabby can get her points inside, but against teams with stronger inside players Gabby couldn't do that and didn't have the outside game to keep defenses honest.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I think it's "reins" not "reigns".

Ah yes, thought it didn't look right.

. As a very athletic player who was playing out of position, she wasn't able to compete as well against teams with strong inside players such as South Carolina. That might change this year, since she has a year of experience at that position. But it may not.

Sarah, I don't see how anyone could know how Williams would play against South Carolina since she didn't see the floor in last year's game until there were 6 minutes left and only played 4 minutes total.

Shooting is absolutely an issue. When UConn plays with its normal starting five, every one of them could space the floor and hit threes, which allowed Moriah and Kia to slash to the basket, since Stewie/KML/Tuck could draw the inside help outside. With Gabby in (and Stokes, also) defense were able to pack the paint when she had the ball outside of 10 feet. This stalls the offense considerably. Obviously against weaker teams Gabby can get her points inside, but against teams with stronger inside players Gabby couldn't do that and didn't have the outside game to keep defenses honest.

Well that's a theory, but I didn't see any team pack the middle against UConn until ND played junk defenses in the title game, a game in which Williams barely played. Also, this theory is predicated on Williams playing outside and defenders sagging off her due to her lack of shooting, but if you re-watch last year's games I think you'll find Gabby was rarely outside ever except to set screens or pass off the ball in the motion offense. She mostly stayed around the paint.

Reaction Score

Sarah, I don't see how anyone could know how Williams would play against South Carolina since she didn't see the floor in last year's game until there were 6 minutes left and only played 4 minutes total.

Well that's a theory, but I didn't see any team pack the middle against UConn until ND played junk defenses in the title game, a game in which Williams barely played. Also, this theory is predicated on Williams playing outside and defenders sagging off her due to her lack of shooting, but if you re-watch last year's games I think you'll find Gabby was rarely outside ever except to set screens or pass off the ball in the motion offense. She mostly stayed around the paint.

I agree. Gabby always played the high post in a high-low offense; if a team stacks against such a scheme, they are leaving three shooters open. In that set, it is not necessary for the high post player to have a great outside shot, since passing and going to the hoop are much more important tools. It certainly helps, as Dolson often proved; however, Stef couldn't put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop, so it counterbalanced.

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
I would think people could see that is referring to scholarship players. The walk-ons were not brought on because UConn needed more players during games. They were added because UConn was short of practice players. No need to parse things and get upset over nothing.
I think they bring much more than just practice players. Uconn uses male practice players so they obviously bring more than just that. They obviously are hard workers who create a example to other players on the team who may or may not work as hard. For Geno to take a walk on that player has to show him something.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Defining Pulido and Lawlor as mainly practice players doesn't mean they don't work hard. Nobody values practice more than Geno Auriemma. I just don't think there will be time for them to play this year with maybe a scant few exceptions. How many other top-5 or top-10 teams ever play walk-ons? I can't think of any.

Reaction Score

We'll see. There will be a significant minutes crunch the way it is, so I don't see the point cutting even more minutes from the freshmen, Ekmark, etc. Someone or someones is/are going to get PT limited with this roster. Who would you rather it be, the heavily recruited future of the team, or the walk-ons? In a perfect world everyone would get time. It's not a perfect world.

“Williams definitely had reigns on her. She rarely played more than 3-4 minutes in any first half and hardly played at all against the best opponents UConn faced. I don't think shooting was the issue. She was terrific at pretty much everything else, sans ball-handling, and UConn didn't lack shooters.”

No not what I remember vs the elite teams. Can’t remember for sure but I seem to recall being a little bummed out one time she came in vs an elite team and I think she had 2 or 3 quick fouls within a minute or two.

I somehow remember another time she had a shot from in close and the ball hit nothing but the backboard vs an elite team. Another time I remember the moment she came in she committed a turnover right away. These are things I could have imagined but I doubt it. I also think I remember her getting bullied a bit in the paint but that might have been the quick fouls.

I root for her big time – but logically as a freshman – someone who isn’t a post player – it is extremely rare like that kid from Baylor that you’ll see a kid as undersized as Gabby able to out guile her opponents. Because she is so small, vs the elite teams, she needs more than just hops.

While you say he reined her in a bit. I say he logically limited her time because she wasn’t quite ready.

“We'll see. There will be a significant minutes crunch the way it is, so I don't see the point cutting even more minutes from the freshmen, Ekmark, etc. Someone or someones is/are going to get PT limited with this roster. Who would you rather it be, the heavily recruited future of the team, or the walk-ons? In a perfect world everyone would get time. It's not a perfect world.”

If I’m the coach, and I speak of heart and how much I pride I place on my team for playing the right way, and even would sacrifice a win because I don’t like how my team or player is playing (see several years ago I think Geno deliberately benched Charde and some team I think Pitt - came roaring back and he needed Charde but never put her back in.), I think in a 50 point game I’m giving 2.5 minutes to the walk ons as a reward. I don’t believe CE would have gotten better for example if she wound up playing 9.7 like she did last year or if it was 12.2.

As for the issue with the 2 freshmen NC and KLS – imo the two walk-ons shouldn’t affect them. Because I have them as the 2nd tier players behind the Big 4. Thus if I keep them in, I’m advertising I’m going to win some games by 75 points while keeping the walk-ons on the bench. In the last few minutes, I don’t think a 70 point game helps them.

Reaction Score

By overall looking how she played vs Duke (good), ND one not bad and one nothing, maybe Texas (though not elite), because they had some size – no good -- and Maryland not good.

And as for south Carolina, are you saying four minutes is no good? So those 4 minutes don’t help Gabby but they are going to help CE because you don't want to give the last couple of minutes to the walk ons?

Reaction Score
Defining Pulido and Lawlor as mainly practice players doesn't mean they don't work hard. Nobody values practice more than Geno Auriemma. I just don't think there will be time for them to play this year with maybe a scant few exceptions. How many other top-5 or top-10 teams ever play walk-ons? I can't think of any.

How many teams go through a season with an average margin of victory of over 30 points with a dozen games which UCONN wins by 50 points or more, several upper 40's several in lower 40's and several in 30's?

Reaction Score
I agree. Gabby always played the high post in a high-low offense; if a team stacks against such a scheme, they are leaving three shooters open. In that set, it is not necessary for the high post player to have a great outside shot, since passing and going to the hoop are much more important tools. It certainly helps, as Dolson often proved; however, Stef couldn't put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop, so it counterbalanced.

The point is- it doesn't need to be necessary - but the fact may very well be- the other options such as NC and NB are just "better." The real elite teams can develop schemes where the defender of Gabby totally sags in the paint. SO where is the high-low if that were to happen? The other defenders stick with their man.

And look at that Notre Dame game - one of them- there was a play Loyd KNEW exactly what the UCONN offense was doing with the cutting etc. They know each other so well. If Gabby gets the ball in the high post- the elite teams will sag with the defender that is guarding Gabby.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
By overall looking how she played vs Duke (good), ND one not bad and one nothing, maybe Texas (though not elite), because they had some size – no good -- and Maryland not good.

And as for south Carolina, are you saying four minutes is no good? So those 4 minutes don’t help Gabby but they are going to help CE because you don't want to give the last couple of minutes to the walk ons?

Williams played 5 mins against Notre Dame almost all at the very end, and 6 against Maryland. So, again, I don't see how anyone can take much of anything from those games.

As for your other question, it seems to be apples and oranges. I'm not suggesting Ekmark get 4 minutes a game. If she does she likely will want to play elsewhere. Look, Geno wasn't taking any chances again SC so he went with his main five. But there were certainly other games against quality competition where Williams could've played more. And I'm betting she will this year.

How many teams go through a season with an average margin of victory of over 30 points with a dozen games which UCONN wins by 50 points or more, several upper 40's several in lower 40's and several in 30's?

Baylor, ND, SC, Maryland, and a few of the other top teams had numerous blowouts of large proportion, but I'm not sure why it matters. UConn had 8 recruited players two seasons ago, and 9 last year, 8 when Ekmark was out. They have 11 this year. The circumstances are different in terms of available bodies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Gabby gets the ball in the high post- the elite teams will sag with the defender that is guarding Gabby.

That's pretty suicidal with KLS, Collier, Jefferson, Nurse, Stewart, and company waiting elsewhere for the pass.

Reaction Score
That's pretty suicidal with KLS, Collier, Jefferson, Nurse, Stewart, and company waiting elsewhere for the pass.

I have to go to bed. Nice talking with you. I enjoyed this thank you. WHen you and I have argued - we have never got personal. Thank you for that. And I have a reply to your other post but to check spelling etc - but I'm too tired. But for this- how do you figure it is suicidal?

You're in a high low set, Gabby is playing with either Tuck or BS on the inside. Outside we have MoJeff, Nurse and either Tuck or BS outside. How do you figure the player guarding Gabby when Gabby gets the ball in the high post is creating a problem for her team when she is in the lane - sagging - probably helping preventing the ball form going inside? SO in reality she is preventing the high-low.

And the other three defenders- they are guarding the perimeter. They don't need to help inside because the player guarding Gabby has that covered with help defense on the other interior Husky player. The moment Gabby's man sags- it makes the high-low extremely difficult. Because the other three defenders don't have to sag- I don't see how this helps the 3 other UCONN perimeter players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because the other three defenders don't have to sag- I don't see how this helps the 3 other UCONN perimeter players.

That's basically a double team and I can't imagine teams doubling Gabby Williams with so many other offensive weapons on the court at the same time. And really, UConn doesn't do a lot of isolation plays that take the time needed to double. Gabby herself is incredibly quick.

Penn State sorta did this with a trap two years ago and it actually was fairly effective, but KML and Tuck were both out with injuries. If any team has the wherewithal to beat a double it's this year's Huskies.

Reaction Score
I have been reading through this thread trying to understand this debate about playing time and player improvement. There seems to be a lot of assumptions that the players we saw in March are going to be the same in October, with no improvement.
Take CE as an example. She is smart and talented. She also has some obvious deficiencies. She needs to improve her defensive quickness and her interior presence. I don't expect her to be Kelly Farris, but at least let the opponents know she is there to battle and more importantly let Geno know. I am sure she knows that if she doesn't improve her game she will buried on the bench. I expect her to show improvement in every area this year. This young lady sacrificed her senior year of HS so she could prepare for UConn. I suspect she didn't come 3000 miles to watch basketball. She will come back determined and aggressive.

For CE to get meaningful minutes I think as a minimum she has to do the following things. She has to stay in front of her "man" on defense, be a secondary ball handler, fill the lane, finish, hit her open shots, have a defensive presence (rotate, take charges, loose balls, block out, rebound, etc.). I think CE is totally capable of doing all of that and more this year. Now if she improves her quickness, watch out!

I am looking forward to the pick up game reports that should be leaking soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There seems to be a lot of assumptions that the players we saw in March are going to be the same in October, with no improvement.
Take CE as an example.
Kmoney, I don't think it was this assumption that is creating the tension and disagreements in this thread. Ironically the tension is based on the strength of the UCONN roster plus the limitation of 200 Minutes/game. Take CE, if she improve to the point of deserving more minutes that would mean someone else is getting less. IMO if this is the biggest tension for UCONN this year we are beyond spoiled!

Reaction Score
CE will have a much greater challenge getting PT than Kelly had. We have much more depth now than any of Kelly's teams.

Sonny, the playing time challenges Kelly Faris and Courtney Ekmark face(d) have less to do with relative bench strength/depth and everything to do with the two young ladies' abilities. Unquestionably there is greater depth now than when Kelly played. And yes, Courtney will struggle (unsuccessfully, I'm afraid) to get Kelly Faris-like playing time, but the reason for that goes way way way beyond the issue of depth. Kelly Faris would have found a way to get starter's minutes on this year's team or practically any other UConn team (2002? hmm). Kelly was a relentless defender, excellent rebounder (especially for her height), a fearless competitor, an inspirational sparkplug, a completely unselfish team-first warrior, and a quiet leader who gave 100% every second she was on the court. Kelly showed her teammates, by example, how the game should be played. Kelly wasn't close to being one of the great talents to play at UConn, but very few ever played the game harder and gave more to her teams than Kelly did.

Please do not put Courtney Ekmark in the same sentence as the great Husky Kelly Faris.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

How about respect? Is that nothing?

Showing a lack of respect -- especially gratuitously -- can get some people upset.

Reaction Score
I for one an hopeful for Courtney Ekmark. In June or July, there was a comment from Geno at his golf tournament or something that she looked really good. I'm rooting for her (and all the other players of course too)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom