Kara Lawson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would venture a guess that the relative level of success of Dawn Staley would be a key to shaping the field's interest in Kara as a coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Kara is not likely to pursue coaching. She likes her family life and while announcing and studio analyst is not stress free, it is less all consuming than coaching.

As an announcer/analyst she is outstanding - articulate, knowledgeable, insightful, and she doesn't pull punches. She has a very strong presence and the camera lovers her. By far the best in WBB and very good when she has crossed into other sports. And she at least gives off the appearance of really enjoying the work.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also - coaching is so much more than knowledge of the game - teaching and motivation are huge, and administering/managing staff also really matter. Assistant coaches can cover somewhat for recruiting, but the HC has to be able to attract and retain really good assistants.

Reaction Score
Just the fact that everyone on the BY loves her as an analyst speaks to how good she is.
Yeah but if she becomes Tenn.'s head coach will you still love her?
j/k

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
j/k
Q: Yeah but if she becomes Tenn.'s head coach will you still love her?
A: Nope. I am sure Kara is smart enough to understand that our lack of love goes with the job of Tenn head coach. I'd also bet that she would want to play UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm fairly new to the boneyard. Can anyone give some background on Kara Lawson. I can see her as a coach. She seems sharp. She is competitive. Why isn't she coaching somewhere really cool? I'm sure she would be selective, but I would think she would be in demand. Who else would you guess to be the next great new coach?
Geez people, you're falling down on the job. Someone asks about the background on Lawson. Hello, McFly, Kara Lawson played football on a boys team when she was 7-8 years old. What else does anyone need to know??? I mean really???

Reaction Score
Geez people, you're falling down on the job. Someone asks about the background on Lawson. Hello, McFly, Kara Lawson played football on a boys team when she was 7-8 years old. What else does anyone need to know??? I mean really???

Not only played football, but was the team's leading rusher.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
j/k

I know you tagged your question with j/k but it is an interesting one!

My answer is yes, so long as she continued to be respectful of our program, staff and players, and didn't become negative the way that Pat did. And if that happened, would the UTenn fan base support her?

On VolNation, when the talk turns to dumping Holly after a bad loss, I don't recall any speculation among the Lady Vol fans that Kara should be their coach. Of course, it isn't the fans that do the hiring.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My apologies Meyers. Here are my contributions.

Q: What else does anyone need to know???
A: Kara still holds several Tenn. records for weight lifting! She is also credited with sharing and encouraging our very own Maya into her new physique by sharing dieting and conditioning tips with her. A double bonus in my book because 1) Maya was already close to perfection 2) I now have a different answer to this question from my wife : Are you oogling Maya again? “Yes Hun, I was told Maya on a new condition regiment and I want to see it for myself."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know you tagged your question with j/k but it is an interesting one!

My answer is yes, so long as she continued to be respectful of our program, staff and players, and didn't become negative the way that Pat did. And if that happened, would the UTenn fan base support her?

On VolNation, when the talk turns to dumping Holly after a bad loss, I don't recall any speculation among the Lady Vol fans that Kara should be their coach. Of course, it isn't the fans that do the hiring.

Can I please request that our moderator delete all post (Cabbie's ,mine, others...) suggesting Kara as Tenn. head coach.
I just think that is something Volnation should have to figure out for themselves!
J/K- sort of.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Can I please request that our moderator delete all post (Cabbie's ,mine, others...) suggesting Kara as Tenn. head coach.
I just think that is something Volnation should have to figure out for themselves!
J/K- sort of.
They already have the chosen son penciled in, so no need to think they'd look elsewhere.

Reaction Score
j/k
I didn't dislike Kara back in the day (when TN had a serious basketball team:) And I pretty much did dislike their other good players (OK - "dislike" is a mild, PC version of my feelings toward them). I remember respecting and fearing Kara. She was always the one player I thought could get them back when we had a 7 point lead or something. Given her untainted treatment of UCONN in her media role, she would probably have the best chance of pulling off an amicable relationship with UCONN as TN's coach ('interim' coach, while the 'chosen one' is getting seasoned down at La Tech?)

Wasn't she planning to go to law school at some point?

Reaction Score
One other Kara tidbit that many will remember. Her father was pushing VERY hard for her to go to Stanford. When she chose Tennessee, he refused to sign her letter of intent. Further, he didn't attend one Tennessee game until midway through her senior year when he finally relented.

Reaction Score
Kara is a very capable, intelligent and secure person. She appears to have excelled at everything she decides to commit to. She has all the options available to her and its reasonable to predict that she will continue to grow both personally and professionally. She has been a great representative of UTENN, WCBB and the WNBA. I hope she chooses her career path wisely and is happy with her choice(s).

Reaction Score
Just watched the game again, and her half-time analysis was so good. And she looks way better in red than orange. Way better.

Reaction Score
That makes sense. The other two players I know of that I think would make good coaches are Bird and DT.
I totally agree with Sue Bird having the capability of being a heck of a basketball coach but I'm not inclined to think of Dianna in the same vein. She would earn respect because of her basketball abilities but I don't think her persona would work very well with recruits and I'm not inclined to think she has the makeup to be a successful coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I totally agree with Sue Bird having the capability of being a heck of a basketball coach but I'm not inclined to think of Dianna in the same vein. She would earn respect because of her basketball abilities but I don't think her persona would work very well with recruits and I'm not inclined to think she has the makeup to be a successful coach.
I think if DT coached she would be quite similar to Geno in temperament. Not sure about the psychology aspect - Geno is brilliant there.

Reaction Score
IMO Kara is hands down the best analyst there is and she should continue to do that! in regard to coaching, if I'm TN i would offer her to be the Head Coach and provide her with experienced assistants.
TENN is waiting for Tyler Summit to get a few years of HC experience under his belt and then if Holly hasn't been to the final four he will probably move into the TENN HC job. JMHO.

Reaction Score
IMO Kara is hands down the best analyst there is and she should continue to do that! in regard to coaching, if I'm TN i would offer her to be the Head Coach and provide her with experienced assistants.
TENN is waiting for Tyler Summit to get a few years of HC experience under his belt and then if Holly hasn't been to the final four he will probably move into the TENN HC job. JMHO.

Reaction Score
Lawson is as good as it gets in the analyst game.

I really enjoy her perspective.
IMO, she's not only the best analyst, but she also thinks the game quickly like a coach. She was a coach on the floor for Summit and knows how to feel and react to the flow of the game. I think she's being wasted by waiting until halftime to give a few minutes of analysis. She'd be great giving 90 minutes of analysis next to the play by play person.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kara just called NCST vs Louisville mens game. She was outstanding-as usual.

Reaction Score
Kara just called NCST vs Louisville mens game. She was outstanding-as usual.
I heard some of that and agree. Like BobbyJ, I would like to hear her 'calling' women's games instead of just being on the air for 3 minutes at halftime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom