Kaitlyn Chen Article (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kaitlyn Chen Article (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Methinks Stanford
Methinks, I don't know. But Ms. Chen is from San Marino, California, having
played H.S. ball at Flintridge Prep: 2009 career H.S. points. Of course, she
was ALL EVERYTHING in H.S. and ALL EVERYTHING at Princeton.
At Princeton her current stats are 34.1 minutes per game, FG% of .497,
3 point % .373, Free Throw % .771, PPG 16. , Rebounds per game 3.2
and lastly: assists = 105 total, so far this year. Kaitlyn Chen is 5' 9".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Darn, she just played at Yale on Saturday night. I wanted to go to the game, but punked out at the last minute (6:30 game). She scored 18 points in a blow out - Yale only scored 25 points.

Reaction Score
She'd come for the same reason Lou Senechal came. To prepare for the next level. Lou had no idea injuries would happen and she would start but she came anyway. If Chen comes, it will be for the same reason. I think UConn needs to recruit like a pro team. They need a complete second unit and Chen would be great on a second unit and insurance for starter injuries.

Reaction Score
THIS x 10000000000000
I think there is a middle position here. Geno may or may not know if he has a roster spot. He also may not know with certainty if there could be potentially more than one available, and he may or may not be able to predict with much confidence what Sarah will do.

Of course he knows way more than we do, but if there is still some uncertainty, then recruiting for every potential possibility is prudent. That doesn't necessarily mean he knows he has a spot, just because he is still actively recruiting someone. Sometimes a coach has to keep recruiting for plan B and plan C. In essence contingent interest and potential offers depending on how many roster spots do become available, and what decisions other high priority prospects make.

If he truly has an interest in Chen, and it appears that he does, then it still could be contingent on several other things happening first, or perhaps he knows that two openings will be there (yes I know the math) and he can use one on a big (Sarah or portal) and one on Chen.

As long as some uncertainty remains here, you can't assume Geno knows he has a roster spot for everyone he is still recruiting. He has to cover all the bases until the pieces start to fall in place.

Reaction Score
In a normal year, if there is a NORMAL year for UConn, Geno would jump at a chance to get Chen, but he has to put the puzzle pieces together to see what he projects to have for next year! He must already know who is leaving and who is staying!
It'll all play out in the next month or so!

Reaction Score
I had to read the article X2 to figure out why most of the comments here are in agreement that Uconn is recruiting Chen. I came away with her having played for a DT squad in hs and her current coach being an Alum. of Uconn. And Berube having spoken to Geno regarding Chen. Speculations abound about the latter. Here is a possible conversation: Geno, Stanford? Cal? UCLA? USC? Depaul? Vandi with Shea? ....) And then I concluded that Adamec doesn't always look L + R before moving, so I looked back into my old memories when I attended Uconn. Guess what. Uconn had/have a Graduate Program in Medical Anthropology. Could that be of interest for her. Of course Cal and Stanford had/have one too .

Reaction Score
Chen is an outstanding player who really steps up in clutch situations. I think there are a number of top WBB programs who would be lucky to have her. While we’re at it, Columbia’s Abby Hsu, the Ivy League’s all time 3-pt leader, will also be available next season as a 5th year player.

But I just don’t see Chen or Hsu at UConn, when the Huskies should be loaded in the backcourt with Paige, Azzi, Ashlynn & KK to start.
We always seem to be loaded before the season starts, and then we know what happens next. We should have as many great players as possible before the season starts to avoid the situation we have been in the last three years.

Reaction Score
With the ACC getting even stronger next year she might opt for someone in that league(like Stanford). Though the Big Ten is loading up,also. So who do you play for, or who do you play against? With these so-called power conferences getting stronger, seems like recruiting outside these leagues is going to be much more difficult.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the ACC getting even stronger next year she might opt for someone in that league(like Stanford). Though the Big Ten is loading up,also. So who do you play for, or who do you play against? With these so-called power conferences getting stronger, seems like recruiting outside these leagues is going to be much more difficult.
Stanford in particular would be a good spot for her, given their guard talent, which seems a bit thin.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it- the more I love Chen if the staff feels she can transiiton to an elite program if no Strong. I have always felt height is overrated vs a quality basketball player. Chen gives UCONN a night-in-and-night out scorer. If Geno is recrutiing her then he must see the need. UCONN doesn't look to win mud-wrestling games 54-53. UCONN does not get over infatuated with height. UCONN wants to run the ball. Chen probably fits all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom