Kaitlyn Chen Article (merged) | The Boneyard

Kaitlyn Chen Article (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s hard to see how that could work, or why Chen would want to be in the middle of a long depth chart. Of course, even Lou chose to transfer to Storrs when it looked like she’d be deep on the bench behind Paige Azzi Caroline and Aubrey.

Perhaps Carla has let her know that UConn is a good way to burnish one’s credentials for the W.

Reaction Score
An attractive option for next year. It is strange to have this leak out if it is true. I wouldn't consider PG a position of need, but it may be too good to pass up.

Reigning Ivy League Player of the Year and @PrincetonWBB senior guard Kaitlyn Chen is focused on the present, but could @UConnWBB possibly be in her future?
She gave UCLA the business when they played. I'd take her if she agreed and there was room. She can flat out shoot and IMO someone would be coughing up some minutes.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ooooweee! I would toss out some feelers to see her level of interest. Kaitlyn Chen has a high BBall IQ. She reads the floor well. Decent shooter. Great leader. Great finisher. She is aggressive. Whenever I watch a Princeton game, you can't help but focus on Chen. Her quickness. She would be a nice addition if there is space on the roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Chen is an outstanding player who really steps up in clutch situations. I think there are a number of top WBB programs who would be lucky to have her. While we’re at it, Columbia’s Abby Hsu, the Ivy League’s all time 3-pt leader, will also be available next season as a 5th year player.

But I just don’t see Chen or Hsu at UConn, when the Huskies should be loaded in the backcourt with Paige, Azzi, Ashlynn & KK to start.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
49158BB8-FED6-48D0-A185-E501A6B4D8C5.jpeg

Reaction Score
the Huskies should be loaded in the backcourt
Agreed..
However, if I've learned anything these past few years, it is this:
"On-Paper" doesn't always translate to Reality (See this season's projected lineup/ availability) .
I think back to picking up Lou under similar on-paper circumstances...
If there is room (Geno being the best judge of this), it may be prudent to pursue this player.

Reaction Score
Love her game. Love that's she's smiling and always having fun. Her, Azzi and Ashlynn would lead the country in most smiles.

I agree tho that the team is loaded at guard next year, although KK is the only traditional point guard.

I wonder if USC makes another strong play at the Ivy's this off season. It's worked kinda perfectly for them this year and Hsu and Chen would be good replacements for Forbes and Padilla. I think both will have a bunch of options. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't mind having her in Storrs.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to see how that could work, or why Chen would want to be in the middle of a long depth chart. Of course, even Lou chose to transfer to Storrs when it looked like she’d be deep on the bench behind Paige Azzi Caroline and Aubrey.

Perhaps Carla has let her know that UConn is a good way to burnish one’s credentials for the W.
she won't be in the middle of any depth chart.........she's a starter.........

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Currently, UConn has 15 scholarships available for next season. The Huskies have 14 players on their roster who are all eligible to return, 2 HS seniors who have accepted scholarships and 2 additional HS seniors who have been offered scholarships. That’s potentially 18 players for 15 scholarships……….

Please stop. Geno knows what he's doing, and suggesting there is no room for players he may be actively recruiting can do nothing but hurt his efforts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who would you risk losing to have her for one year? UConn is deep at guard and if they are going to add a player they need to find one that is taller than 5'8 regardless of her skill level. UConn is not a program that needs to build or improve it's roster through the portal. If they start that they will lose way more than they will ever get because their players will leave through the portal if that is part of the game at UConn.

Reaction Score
Sara for 4 years a better get, if scholarships in short supply
The timetable (IMO) of all this allows me to consider this as an optional use
of that precious roster slot! There is no need to push the button now since
GENO and CARLA appear to have already had some discussion (see thread comment
above).

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Please stop. Geno knows what he's doing, and suggesting there is no room for players he may be actively recruiting does nothing but hurt his efforts.
THIS x 10000000000000

Reaction Score
If UCONN is pursuing her then ofc there is a need. And ofc UCONN should jump at the opportunity. If they are pursuing her then ofc they must know they have room. As far as I know, no one can read their minds - so imo Geno has had a couple of years to earn the benefit of the doubt :) that if he is pursuing her, then there is a need.

I do question at least the start of the season the availaibility of Azzi, Caroline, and Aubrey. And avaialibility may not neccessarily mean "ready to compete at a high level." UCONN always plays a tough early schedule. To further this, each player of the 3 mentioned has been hurt multiple years. IMO if Geno is in fact pursuing Chen then this is what he is telling us indirectly that there is a concern to a certain degree.

It's also possible the article is just flat out wrong and the Source is nothing more than someone making wild speculations. That wouldn't be unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom