Jon Rothstein's Day in Storrs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jon Rothstein's Day in Storrs

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Kinda random and couldn’t find when I briefly googled. Does anyone know when the last time UConn did a foreign basketball tour? We have to be due.. I thought it was allowed every four years
Was wondering about this after seeing Auburn play the Israeli National team a few days ago

Reaction Score
Kinda random and couldn’t find when I briefly googled. Does anyone know when the last time UConn did a foreign basketball tour? We have to be due.. I thought it was allowed every four years

They were supposed to take one in 2020 to Italy and Greece. It’s definitely on their radar to do. Hurley’s Rhode Island teams took two when he was there.

Reaction Score
You are forgiven for remembering his less than stellar performance against Teddy Buckets in the tournament. Of course, others will blame Hurley.
Holy Christ you people can’t be serious

When Jackson went out w/ 2 bogus fouls the NMst lead ballooned up to double digits.

You “basketball fans” really don’t know ball. Jackson is unequivocally our most valuable player.

Reaction Score
Don't back down so easily. I agree with Jim Boeheim on this. It's nonsense that a computer can measure a player's defensive performance when the computer has no friggin idea what the coach is asking the player to do in terms of staying with his man, leaving to help others or guarding the rim.
Fans generally don't know the answer to this either.

Hurley's teams usually want to take away the 3 by playing up, but none of us know the individual matchup adjustments from scouting on a game by game basis.

Reaction Score
It means Swiss Army Knife.

Let’s hope so. I am not a fan of his shot technique as is, it limits his game. Great kid, but I not sure how much he can command his will on the floor. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
????

@Slick, it was a joke.

Most reports and BY posters mention Karaban being 6'8". Some ecen get cray cray and put him down for 6'9".

Rothstein said he is 6'7", hence he must be shrinking.

For reference Rothstein said Hawkins is all of 6'6" which means Karaban and Hawkins should be within an inch of each other.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I just seem to remember him overextending too much on the perimeter, and seemed like for no reason. I guess the staff told him to guard guys 40ft out, just seemed unnecessary.
He over extended, but he’s so quick and long it rarely cost him, and that aggression was disruptive as hell for the other team. As I said last year he’s a goshdarn menace for the other team.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's not wrong tho. We have scorers and shooters but lost defense and rebounding. We lost one of the best defensive players in College, plus Martin and Cole who both played hard nosed D. We also lost Martin and Whaley's offensive rebounding. With the 4 Out offense you have to concern yourself with offensive rebounding.

Truth is we don't know how Samson/Karaban are going to be on the boards. Yes I know Newton and Jackson are very good rebounders but it is fine to be concerned which big will help Sanogo on the boards.
If we have to use gang rebounding as we often did in the past so be it. No way will this team change into something other than a hard nosed defense. Thats a Hurley trademark. I think with better offensive options this will keep the opposition defense from overplaying us.

Reaction Score

When Jackson went out w/ 2 bogus fouls the NMst lead ballooned up to double digits.

You “basketball fans” really don’t know ball. Jackson is unequivocally our most valuable player.

He could be but from watching last year no one is wrong here. On defense he lacked consistency in staying with his guy often looking to make plays off the ball. He showed signs of being a lock down in doubt but fell short. Hoping he finds the consistency there as well as when being the point man on breaks. Better decisions all around he could be our MVP yet to be seen.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He could be but from watching last year no one is wrong here. On defense he lacked consistency in staying with his guy often looking to make plays off the ball. He showed signs of being a lock down in doubt but fell short. Hoping he finds the consistency there as well as when being the point man on breaks. Better decisions all around he could be our MVP yet to be seen.
History tells us junior year is when guys really figure out the game. It’ll be scary if Jackson can do it offensively and defensively. He has all the talent in the world on both sides of the ball. His chase down blocks last year were clock work.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And hopefully is our 3rd or 4th leading scorer while being most valuable.

Reaction Score
So for all the talk of a 4-out lineup and perimeter shooting, we're basically going to start the same style lineup as last year, with Newton replacing RJ Cole, Hawkins replacing Tyrese Martin, and Samson replacing Whaley?
Yes, because Samson Johnson is the perfect 4 to play in Hurley's system. Stretches the floor with his shooting on the offensive end and provides good weak side shot blocking from the 4 on defense. He's much more of a threat from the outside than Whaley

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So for all the talk of a 4-out lineup and perimeter shooting, we're basically going to start the same style lineup as last year, with Newton replacing RJ Cole, Hawkins replacing Tyrese Martin, and Samson replacing Whaley?

Yes, exact same lineup.

Except replace PG with a bigger, more athletic player, a better shooter at the 4 and a smaller, quicker player at the 2G.

Reaction Score
3/5 starters being replaced by players with different playstyles is not quite the same style lineup

Reaction Score
Yes, because Samson Johnson is the perfect 4 to play in Hurley's system. Stretches the floor with his shooting on the offensive end and provides good weak side shot blocking from the 4 on defense. He's much more of a threat from the outside than Whaley
Well, we have to hope. We really haven’t seen anything from SJ.

Reaction Score
Well, we have to hope. We really haven’t seen anything from SJ.
There's definitely an element of hope with him, but there's a legitimate competition between Samson, Karaban, Alleyne so if he's coming out on top he's at least shown something. And at the very least the defense isn't going to just sag off him like they did Whaley so it's a very low bar to clear at the 4 position

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom