Jon Rothstein's Day in Storrs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jon Rothstein's Day in Storrs

Reaction Score
I'm rooting this to be the starting lineup; hoping that lineup shoots well enough to avoid those early game droughts that have plagued us in the past...then bringing Alleyne and Karaban in as shooters off the bench can give us that additional spark. On the surface, I'm excited for our quality depth this year.

Reaction Score
Jackson was lock down for most of last year and Hawk made huge leaps defensively at the end of the season. With the addition of Diarra and Newton’s size, I’ll take our chances.

He's not wrong tho. We have scorers and shooters but lost defense and rebounding. We lost one of the best defensive players in College, plus Martin and Cole who both played hard nosed D. We also lost Martin and Whaley's offensive rebounding. With the 4 Out offense you have to concern yourself with offensive rebounding.

Truth is we don't know how Samson/Karaban are going to be on the boards. Yes I know Newton and Jackson are very good rebounders but it is fine to be concerned which big will help Sanogo on the boards.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I'm rooting this to be the starting lineup; hoping that lineup shoots well enough to avoid those early game droughts that have plagued us in the past...then bringing Alleyne and Karaban in as shooters off the bench can give us that additional spark. On the surface, I'm excited for our quality depth this year.
An assertive hawk and a Dre with one or two more offensive tricks in his bag would go a long way

Reaction Score
If Hawkins can actually score 15ppg or better the big east is in a hell of a lot of trouble. It was obvious the kid had star potential at Dematha but just needed a bit of skill and the mindset to take more risks scoring it.

He's unique in that way... he came in pretty polished and effecient at what he does (3s and pull ups), but his scoring package was pretty limited. If he can expand it just a bit, he's going to be a star.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Based on what? The 5 minutes he played last year?
He played about 65 minutes or so, and was just as good as Hawkins was in his first 65 minutes (not good). But we had no options at SG, and we had Whaley/Akok (and Springs) at the 4. Had he played almost 400 minutes I think we'd all be very high on him.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I just seem to remember him overextending too much on the perimeter, and seemed like for no reason. I guess the staff told him to guard guys 40ft out, just seemed unnecessary.
He definitely did overextend a bit too much but as @Kenny11 mentioned, he is just so long and athletic that he was effectively able to recover and play defense too much. I will agree with you that he plays far from the most polished defense, but very effective.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson and "point" in the same sentence. It's about to go down...

michael jackson mj GIF

He also called him a utility player. What does he mean?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I just seem to remember him overextending too much on the perimeter, and seemed like for no reason. I guess the staff told him to guard guys 40ft out, just seemed unnecessary.
His lowlights on defense were more noticeable than anyone else on the team. Guys like Cole and Martin didn’t give up points from letting the offensive player blow by them. But the stats are undeniable about his impact.

Reaction Score
His lowlights on defense were more noticeable than anyone else on the team. Guys like Cole and Martin didn’t give up points from letting the offensive player blow by them. But the stats are undeniable about his impact.
Yeah that must be it. No issue in getting driven past sometimes, it happens. But it just seemed unnecessary a lot of the time due to overextension. I’m sure it’ll be fixed.

Reaction Score
Yeah that must be it. No issue in getting driven past sometimes, it happens. But it just seemed unnecessary a lot of the time due to overextension. I’m sure it’ll be fixed.
Hopefully it does get fixed because it would make him a much better player. I almost feel like it's a feature and not a bug in Hurley's defense though. Seemed like he wanted the defense funneling guys into the paint, which may not work as well when Whaley isn't waiting in the paint

Reaction Score
You are forgiven for remembering his less than stellar performance against Teddy Buckets in the tournament. Of course, others will blame Hurley.

Reaction Score

Don't back down so easily. I agree with Jim Boeheim on this. It's nonsense that a computer can measure a player's defensive performance when the computer has no friggin idea what the coach is asking the player to do in terms of staying with his man, leaving to help others or guarding the rim.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score

This is the ideal starting lineup, but I still worry about how raw and lacking in awareness/ strength Samson was on defense last year. If he’s made/making the leap and is a +starter we are in for a damn good run. That lineup is long and athletic: 6’5, 6’6, 6’7, 6’10, 6’9

Alleyne
Calcaterra
Karaban
all providing shooting off the bench

more plus athleticism and experience from Diarra

Rare size and hopefully passing from Clingan

Many have said it here before, but Springs looks game ready and willing to attack when he gets minutes. Hopefully this team will be ready and mature enough to tough out close games. Make veteran savvy plays and keeps it’s composure from the coaching staff down.

Let’s get it. Excited for this team

Reaction Score
Hoping for more Newton talk.
Yeah kinda strange we haven’t heard really anything about him. I think no news is good news with him…he is probably the most polished player on the team and isn’t expected to have to make a big leap like Jackson, Hawkins, Sanogo, Karaban, Sampson, etc.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Don't back down so easily. I agree with Jim Boeheim on this. It's nonsense that a computer can measure a player's defensive performance when the computer has no friggin idea what the coach is asking the player to do in terms of staying with his man, leaving to help others or guarding the rim.
If Jim Boehiem could work his computer, his team wouldn’t be stuck in mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Kinda random and couldn’t find when I briefly googled. Does anyone know when the last time UConn did a foreign basketball tour? We have to be due.. I thought it was allowed every four years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom