John silver First spring scrimmage thoughts | The Boneyard

John silver First spring scrimmage thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With no mention of J.Campenni at the DT position, and the size of the DT's being bigger than in years past, I wonder if Campenni is slimming down and adding muscle mass to find a spot at DE?

Reaction Score
Like the fact Wilbur Lee stood out at safety. I like the 4 starters we have in Brown, Jones, BWW, and Gratz, but the lack of depth really hurt the team last year. If Wilbert Lee can step in and be an impact player, it is really going to help.

Love that Joe Williams' burst and explosiveness remained when the pads came on. This team desperately needs someone to spell McCombs.

I said before that the qb situation makes me extremely nervous, and I didn't share the confidence many had here. This report doesn't help.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
shoemate=jaguar

i like seeing YAC mentions on our wr's. can't wait to hear about phillips more...

wilbert is def encouraging. casey earn that block C today hugh?

Reaction Score
That's not exactly thrilling to hear that McEntee is right there with the other QB's.

Reaction Score
shoemate=jaguar

i like seeing YAC mentions on our wr's. can't wait to hear about phillips more...

wilbert is def encouraging. casey earn that block C today hugh?

I think many are expecting Wilbert Lee to be a player this year, similar to Tymeer and Byron last year. At least that is what I am expecting. Kid seems to look like a man among boys, very physically mature, a special athlete. Sounds like he can lay the wood to and being that played RB has some wheels as well. Defense should be improved this year. Hoping the secondary can take it up a notch this year as well.

Reaction Score
That's not exactly thrilling to hear that McEntee is right there with the other QB's.

Funny how one or two sports writers opinion can get people worried about our QB's after 5 days of practice and 1 scrimmage.

I like Dez's comments about Nebrich looking better and staying in the pocket more. J Mac gave praise to Nebrich.

Half full or half empty?

Reaction Score
Funny how one or two sports writers opinion can get people worried about our QB's after 5 days of practice and 1 scrimmage.

I like Dez's comments about Nebrich looking better and staying in the pocket more. J Mac gave praise to Nebrich.

Half full or half empty?

I am an optimist, half full for me. You even said it, it's been 5 practices and 1 scrimmage. They had a long winter, with no bowl game, a few new additions at key positions and some losses at key positions. They will be fine. PP sounds pleased with where they are at right now. It is March 31st, their first game is a half year away, plenty of time to gel pick up the playbook and get comfortable with their surroundings. The defense sounds hungry, tenacious and ready to prove something. The offense will come around.

Reaction Score
With no mention of J.Campenni at the DT position, and the size of the DT's being bigger than in years past, I wonder if Campenni is slimming down and adding muscle mass to find a spot at DE?

I think Campenni will contribute eventually...The guys ahead of him have been on a campus a while longer than him and are a little bigger than him... I still think he'll be playing at a heavier weight when it's all said and done...

Reaction Score

Half full or half empty?

There were PLENTY of people on this board saying that they wanted somebody to win the job in the spring. Based off of what we have have heard, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

There is plenty of time left, but if this team doesn't get major improvement out of the quarterback position, it will severely limit the ceiling of how far they can go.

Reaction Score
When I think of great freshman running backs I think of Herschel Walker, Marcus Dupree, Bo Jackson, Terry Caulley and Joe Williams.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment about the DT spot, how we aren't throwing 260 lbers out there anymore. Looking forward to the rotation at LB to keep up the pressure. You could see guys getting fatigued last year and we gave up some long drives because of it. Coaches stuck with their plan and saved the redshirt on our young LB's. I believe there is a good plan here and am really looking forward to this season which starts for the fans in 21 days. Hope we get the opposite of last years weather for the Spring game. One area I disagree with coach P is in the RB theory. Seeing Brown/Dixon and then Todman/Dixon I think we should give two capable RB's reps to keep the defense backing up. It's a 12 game season there are plenty of reps for two quality backs and it is advantage offense. Nice to hear about M Smith, getting through the adversity and coming back stronger.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment about the DT spot, how we aren't throwing 260 lbers out there anymore. Looking forward to the rotation at LB to keep up the pressure. You could see guys getting fatigued last year and we gave up some long drives because of it. Coaches stuck with their plan and saved the redshirt on our young LB's. I believe there is a good plan here and am really looking forward to this season which starts for the fans in 21 days. Hope we get the opposite of last years weather for the Spring game. One area I disagree with coach P is in the RB theory. Seeing Brown/Dixon and then Todman/Dixon I think we should give two capable RB's reps to keep the defense backing up. It's a 12 game season there are plenty of reps for two quality backs and it is advantage offense. Nice to hear about M Smith, getting through the adversity and coming back stronger.
Interesting? More like a time warp. KR and TM weren't small. Inexperienced, but not small, even as freshmen starters. TM was 300+ and lost weight to play if I recall correctly.

Reaction Score
Interesting? More like a time warp. KR and TM weren't small. Inexperienced, but not small, even as freshmen starters. TM was 300+ and lost weight to play if I recall correctly.

Agreed, I found that odd.

Reaction Score

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...artin-58978;_ylt=AgsV8dgGGsQBCzNYjwdb6gYDrpB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...Reyes-54671;_ylt=AiR0dBex3UFtTvMy_odwVT8DrpB4

I see one coming in at 265 lbs and one coming in at 220 lbs......not ideal when talking about DTs, I think this is what John was referring to

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm going a bit off of memory here. Twyon came in around 300lbs and it wasn't a "good" 300lbs. He dropped down below 250 lbs beforee adding good weight.

Kendall is a kid that continually grew in to his body during his first couple of years but played 290lbs+ for his last two years.

I think the point Silver was trying to make is that the kids coming in now are already packing 260lbs+ of good weight and there is less need to project their final weight.

Reaction Score
I'm going a bit off of memory here. Twyon came in around 300lbs and it waswyonn't a "good" 300lbs. He dropped down below 250 lbs beforee adding good weight.

Kendall is a kid that continually grew in to his body during his first couple of years but played 290lbs+ for his last two years.

I think the point Silver was trying to make is that the kids coming in now are already packing 260lbs+ of good weight and there is less need to project their final weight.

Chin is correct. Twyon surprised the coaching staff by showing up at around 301 in Jun 07. S&C immediately began the process of taking him down to 260ish to gradually build him back up with good muscle weight.

Reaction Score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...artin-58978;_ylt=AgsV8dgGGsQBCzNYjwdb6gYDrpB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...Reyes-54671;_ylt=AiR0dBex3UFtTvMy_odwVT8DrpB4

I see one coming in at 265 lbs and one coming in at 220 lbs......not ideal when talking about DTs, I think this is what John was referring to

And this is what I don't get about people's putting so much weight in recruiting. Because, from a reality perspective, there was absolutely zero wrong with the recruiting of Kendall Reyes, because he was a huge impact player from Day One.. To think that anything about getting him wasn't "ideal" is, frankly, silly.

Reaction Score
And this is what I don't get about people's putting so much weight in recruiting. Because, from a reality perspective, there was absolutely zero wrong with the recruiting of Kendall Reyes, because he was a huge impact player from Day One.. To think that anything about getting him wasn't "ideal" is, frankly, silly.

How is that silly?

You recruit a guy and he is ready to go day one where all you have to do is hone his weight and skill

vice bringing in a guy 220 lbs and having to waste years putting 80 lbs on his frame....I don't understand your post

Reaction Score
Reyes was starting his redshirt freshman year, and there is not a team in the country that wants to be playing true frosh DTs. So why is it relevant how much he weighs in a year when he's redshirting if he's ready to start his RS Frosh year?

Reaction Score
yeah but under what weight was he starting his RS freshman year?....because not only does he have to put the weight on (with nutritionists isn't that hard), but he has to learn to play with the new weight.....and learning to play with an extra 20 - 30 lbs EVERY season

Putting a guy in at DT weighing 250 - 260 (which is what he was) is almost like playing a guy who is injured, hurting the team almost as much as helping it

In an interview that is out, the reporter asks him that exact question and he mentioned that it was really hard to put on that much weight and get used to playing with it, however, he was happy that he ultimately made the change

Reaction Score
Reyes was starting his redshirt freshman year, and there is not a team in the country that wants to be playing true frosh DTs. So why is it relevant how much he weighs in a year when he's redshirting if he's ready to start his RS Frosh year?

I think as a general issue it's just another variable that has to go in your favor from a player development standpoint -- if you're recruiting kids that have to achieve substantial development physically as well as in their skill sets, the chance of getting it wrong increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom