John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish | Page 6 | The Boneyard

John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The faculty can give a hoot less. I'm sure Vandy's faculty is up at arms at their association with Arkansas.

Arkansas is a major state U research instution. It's infinitely better than Memphis, Boise or Houston.

Reaction Score
UCONN would then just have to find a football only league for the football team. Hopefully that football only conference will be a national conference that includes the names we are currently tied to.

Um, that's kind of an important detail and not nearly as simple as you make it appear.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I know I live in SEC country but for what it is worth this is what I hear. The BB presidents really do not want to be associated with BSU, SDSU, Mem, etc. They don't think the potential pay day under the new contract will be enough for them to defend association with a group of third tier schools to their faculties, alums & donors. They also believe (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of the value of a new contract would be on the BB side and are therefore willing to push split if necessary. Marinatto was placed in the same position as Tranghese when BC tried to push a split in 2003. Tranghese was able to smooth it over, Marinatto not so much. Next step BB schools, including ND, announce a meeting to "examine options".

There is no depth of quality with the remaining basketball only schools. ND, Nova, Marquette and G'town. Then you have St John's, Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul.

Which would be more likely: the top four help raise the quality of the bottom four or the bottom four drag down the top? The basketball only schools have failed to notice that the consistently best basketball schools played football. If the basketball only schools want to split, they'll be slightly better than the reconstituted A10 and will get a TV deal that reflects just that.

Reaction Score
Um, that's kind of an important detail and not nearly as simple as you make it appear.

Joining CUSA, the MAC or going independent will not be an acceptable option should the Big East split. There will be a significant amount of TV on the table for a national football conference. Reasonable minds will figure out a way to get that TV money. These schools already have a relationship through the Big East. It's not hard to fathom that this fall back position is already being discussed. It makes sense for schools as far apart as Boise, Houston, SMU, UCONN and Rutgers to be in the same football league together, it makes sense because these schools could help each other rake in some cash and keep their fanbases interested.

Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
UCONN would then just have to find a football only league for the football team. Hopefully that football only conference will be a national conference that includes the names we are currently tied to.​

SEC - an all sports conference. ACC - an all sports conference. Big 10 - an all sports conference (exception: a couple of schools don't have baseball). Big 12 - an all sports conference. PAC-10 - an all sports conference. The Big East - a patchwork quilt. Syracuse had no baseball. Notre Dame had no football (well in the Big East that is). Catholic Schools no football. 38 teams, no identity (are we football? basketball? Definitely not all sports)

Now UConn needs to find a football only conference (while maining Big East status in hoops)? And this conference will be a national conference. Wow, no wonder the Big East is going down.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great post above by noeynox.

I'm not one to criticize JM for things out of his control, though I do acknowledge his faults. That was a valid criticism and probably the most well thought out take on his run as BE Commish.

Who knows what really couldve have been done, but there had to have been someone out there that could have gotten the BE teams to sign a GOR once TCU joined.

Side note, it pains me to think that our home schedule in alternating yearrs would have been:

TCU, WVU, Cincy, Pitt
Syr, Rutgers, Ville, USF

That would have been amazing.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that a split is all that likely. there are some basketball schools that favor it, St Johns I've heard is the leader, but the 3 most important one, Georgetown, Villanova and Notre Dame don't. Even pro-PC anti-football Kevin MacNamarra is reporting that. In fact, the Irish would likely not go with such a league under any circumstances. Whatever you htink of them, they have no interest in being in a CYO conference. They just don't see it as in keeping with their place in the athletic landscape if for no other reason. So even if you could convince Georgetown and Villanova, I'm not sure the end result is all that much superior to the A-10, and I'm not sure it would command anything like the money the Big East currently gets never mind what it will get even in the worst case new scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom