John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish | Page 5 | The Boneyard

John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nope, not two separate conferences. A hybrid conference that makes sense.

If your quote Jimmy, about the b-ball AD is accurate - don't know where it came from, you didn't post citation, it's all you need to know. I'm confident in saying that the context/meaning of that quote is an accurate reflection of things that can happen in the current Big East business structure when it comes to internal decision making.

The hybrid conference can work, and can be quite powerful actually, MORE powerful than an all sports conference - with the power of basketball AND football in revenue generating, but it all depends on having a structure that doesn't allow for exactly what you quoted to be happening with internal decision making.

the structure you're looking for is called two separate conferences.

Reaction Score
THis split talk is nonsense.

Marinatto can't be at the table when negotiations start. Period. It's not a reflection on his abilities to negotiate, or do business, or how he or any other school in the big east feels about football and/or basketball.

It's the simple fact that his presence there, is enough for the opposing side to begin to manipulate the big east internal conflicts b/w basketball and football.

I said it before, say it again. The big east conference, and ESPN have a long history that dates back to when both were in trailers in 1979, and their success over the years is intertwined.

ESPN no longer has people in charge with personal ties to any of it, or personal connections and personal interest in seeing both ESPN and the Big EAst mutually succeed in win/win scenarios.

The big east? It's all personal with ESPN still going all the way back to the beginning of both corporate entities. The same people all along.

YOu can't have that kind of dynamic at the bargainaing table in September, because come September, ESPN is the only broadcasting company that the Big East can deal with until the contracts officially run out.

We need a clean slate at the table, ready to business and keep personal feelings separate, ideally, representing a better business structure than we've got, but even with same internal muddling system wev'e got in the big east, a clean slate at the bargaining table is what this is all about.

The rest of this talk is interesting, but nothing more than all of us BS'ing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn's athletic program is finished if the basketball schools split. Absolutely finished. We will be in a league with UMass, UNH, Rutgers, Temple, Buffalo and a few CAA upgrades within 5 years.

If the hoops schools leave, and Louisville leaves, there is really no reason for UCF, SMU, Houston, Boise, SDSU and Memphis to join us. I have no idea what happens after they reach that conclusion, but 90% likely, it is very bad for UConn.

I see the same facts and think this is potentially great for UConn. Anything to avoid being in a conference with Memphis, Houston et al. Those of you who have been convincing yourselves that the NBE was something other than a looking disaster will of course feel differently. But my guess is that this isn't happening in a vacuum. It is very unlikely that the unraveling of the NBE doesn't trigger another feeding frenzy, resulting in UConn probably landing in the ACC.

The worst case scenario is UConn playing all non-football sports with some new BE-A10 combo conference, and going independent for football. More likely, academics and basketball are enough to garner an invite to one of the surviving big conferences.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Marinate is Out! THANK God and Praise the Pigskin! :D
Hmm I'm thinkin Herbst would be a nice leadership upgrade for the Big East!

Reaction Score
I see the same facts and think this is potentially great for UConn. Anything to avoid being in a conference with Memphis, Houston et al. Those of you who have been convincing yourselves that the NBE was something other than a looking disaster will of course feel differently. But my guess is that this isn't happening in a vacuum. It is very unlikely that the unraveling of the NBE doesn't trigger another feeding frenzy, resulting in UConn probably landing in the ACC.

The worst case scenario is UConn playing all non-football sports with some new BE-A10 combo conference, and going independent for football. More likely, academics and basketball are enough to garner an invite to one of the surviving big conferences.

This all came as a big surprise to me this morning, but it all makes sense. It's just the next step in the process of re-establishing the Big East as a top flight intercollegiate athletic league.

I'm reminded of Mario Puzo and the GodFather. The italians know how to do business. When it was time for Michael Corleone to shore up the community and pick up the business and relocate headquarters, the family lawyer couldn't be involved, because he was a good guy, and things needed to be done, that he couldn't do.

Now - going to the negotiation tables with ESPN, isn't the business of mafia hit men, but John Marinatto is a good guy, that we can't involved in the business that needs to get done.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Marinatto resurface in league offices on the other side of this media deal.

Reaction Score
This is a pretty long thread but I'm sure of one thing...Carl's company does not drug test.

It's a blend of Kentucky Blue Grass and California Sensamilla. The best part about it is that you can play 18 holes on it and then get high to the bejeezus belt

Reaction Score
I know I live in SEC country but for what it is worth this is what I hear. The BB presidents really do not want to be associated with BSU, SDSU, Mem, etc. They don't think the potential pay day under the new contract will be enough for them to defend association with a group of third tier schools to their faculties, alums & donors. They also believe (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of the value of a new contract would be on the BB side and are therefore willing to push split if necessary. Marinatto was placed in the same position as Tranghese when BC tried to push a split in 2003. Tranghese was able to smooth it over, Marinatto not so much. Next step BB schools, including ND, announce a meeting to "examine options".

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I know I live in SEC country but for what it is worth this is what I hear. The BB presidents really do not want to be associated with BSU, SDSU, Mem, etc. They don't think the potential pay day under the new contract will be enough for them to defend association with a group of third tier schools to their faculties, alums & donors. They also believe (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of the value of a new contract would be on the BB side and are therefore willing to push split if necessary. Marinatto was placed in the same position as Tranghese when BC tried to push a split in 2003. Tranghese was able to smooth it over, Marinatto not so much. Next step BB schools, including ND, announce a meeting to "examine options".
No one wants to associate with BSU, SDSU, and Memphis, yet here we are. The hoops schools will not be playing 2 of them in any sports and ND was the head of the expansion committee, saddling us with these new schools. ND wants to be in a hoops conference with UL and UConn.

Reaction Score
No one wants to associate with BSU, SDSU, and Memphis, yet here we are. The hoops schools will not be playing 2 of them in any sports and ND was the head of the expansion committee, saddling us with these new schools. ND wants to be in a hoops conference with UL and UConn.
Agreed that we also may not want to be associated either but at this point we have little choice since we have a higher level FB program. They feel they have a viable option. Also the key is the word associated not play. Many poh-poh the academic perception angle of conference membership but to some it has a high priority. As far as the ND angle goes, who know what ND wants from day to day except what they think is best for ND. Wanting to be in a BB conference with UL and UConn is nice but they may have decided it is not worth the baggage of the new teams.

Reaction Score

The faculty can give a hoot less. I'm sure Vandy's faculty is up at arms at their association with Arkansas.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy:
Marinatto easy to target for Big East woes, but he's hardly alone

With conference realignment sweeping the country, Marinatto still was able to convince TCU in November of 2010 to join the Big East, to help bolster an inconsistent football league. People mocked a Texas team joining the Big East, but it gave the league a solid football addition. That would have given the Big East nine football members in 2012. There was even speculation the Big East might be able to attract an ACC school to join the Big East, which was in the midst of negotiating a huge upcoming media rights deal.

"At that point when the Big East was intact, the only school the Big East could have legitimately added that made sense was UCF," an industry source said. "Maryland and Boston College? They wouldn't even return the Big East's calls. But the Big East couldn't add UCF because [South Florida president] Judy Genshaft kept shooting down UCF."

Genshaft's continuing insistence to block UCF from the league was a huge contributing factor which ultimately led to the league's current instability, a league source said. That's because in April of 2011, with TCU on board, Marinatto and the league negotiated a nine-year deal worth $1.4 billion for its new media rights deal. Marinatto recommended to his presidents that they accept the offer and they promptly voted against it.

"I think that was the stupidest decision ever made [to turn it down] in college athletics," a league source said. "To have the equity of ESPN as your brand and the stability that would have gone with it."

"If the TV deal was accepted and UCF had been added [as a 10th football member], who knows if Pitt and Syracuse ever leave," an industry source said.

"Everyone left because of stability and right there was your stability with that TV deal." A month after Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced they were leaving, Marinatto -- to help stabilize the league -- recommended on Oct. 2 to the league's presidents that the Big East should increase its exit fee from $5 million to $12 million-$15 million, according to documents obtained by CBSSports.com.

And surprise, surprise: the league's presidents refused to increase the exit fee. Four days later, TCU announced it was headed to the Big 12 and two weeks after that, West Virginia announced it was leaving for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else notice that Marinatto looks like twiddle-dee and acts like twiddle-dumb? I wish I could find an animation that depicts him frowning and how Lewis Carol saw the future. Good riddens and I hope we finally move the headquarters to where it rightfully belongs, NYC.

Maybe he was a nice guy and worked hard at times, but i dont understand how his decision-making could make anyone comfortable. He just doesn't have what it takes to lead this conference and blunder after blunder only leads me to believe that a vote of no confidence was only necessary to move ahead rather than 4 steps back.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the Hoops schools walk, they are washing their hands of the football schools completely and irrevocably. They aren't going to open a hybrid relationship with UConn.

The best realistic solution is that the current Big East, this island of misfit toys, hangs together. Any other outcome is disastrous.
With this position are you claiming that ND will also get shoved aside by the non FBS Big East members or are you claiming that NDs catholic leadership will be enough for the remaining catholic schools to make an exception in their case?

You've made many narrow minded, unfounded assertions over the years but this one is as rich as any have been.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Anyone that blames JM for the Big East's failures, please post what he could have done to have 'saved' the BE.

I don't see what the guy could have possibly done to save this sinking ship.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's a bit of a stretch that UCF and the TV deal would have lead to the stability of the Big East, but yeah, this isn't all on Marinatto. The death spiral started with the first round of defections in 03. It's picked up steam with the latest round of defections. Hamstrung with a crap TV deal. Maybe the upcoming TV deal will delay the invevitable. This is like a giant black hole. It sucks and there's no way out. And no one wants to pull the trigger to end this league's misery.

League is gonna split. It would be better to do it quickly and that way everyone can move on but this is dragging out painfully slow.

Anyway. I'm just concerned with how this will affect UConn, UConn Football, UConn Hoops, and the remaining sports. Where will UConn Football end up? Can a football-only league survive? Thrive? Will hoops/remaining sports remain Big East affiliated?

I'm just rambling again. Freakin sucks. UConn has no outs unless another league makes an offer, and none are imminent.

Whatever hoops school dared suggest that they get the 75 end of a 75/25 split should get a boot to the arse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With this position are you claiming that ND will also get shoved aside by the non FBS Big East members or are you claiming that NDs catholic leadership will be enough for the remaining catholic schools to make an exception in their case?

You've made many narrow minded, unfounded assertions over the years but this one is as rich as any have been.

This isn't a Notre Dame message board. Why don't you find one, and ask them?

Reaction Score
This is just stunning. This clearly shows that football will be the focus of the conference going forward IMO. JM should have taken the TV money ESPN threw at him and not waited for 2013. WVU, Pitt and Cuse might have stayed in this conference.
Except that, according to reports, Pitt (and Georgetown) lead the charge to NOT take the money.

Reaction Score
If someone wants to use this photo and photoshop in the schools, feel free:

tumblr_lrjv5qR9Tx1qamjjso1_400.jpg
Not humorous at all.

Reaction Score
I haven't read every post in this thread and have checked it out throughout the day. Some good points.

I said when SU and Pitt bolted, that it would be the Basketball schools that got tired of this arrangement and not the other way around. Truthfully, and I say this as "football fan foremost", I can't say that I blame the basketball schools. For them, there is no reason to continue the attachment to the FB schools. BC and SU were original Big East members as was UConn. Pitt came on early enough to be considered pretty much an original member. With those three schools gone the only Big East ORIGINAL MEMBER, that plays football at the highest level, is UConn. The football schools, none of which were original BE members aside from UConn, are now asking them to bring on the likes of SMU, Houston, Central Florida into the Big East conference for hoops. I could see where St. John's and GTown are saying, "wait a minute were doing this to protect the football interests of schools like Rutgers, South Florida, and Louisville who is dying for a way out of this conference as we speak"? Truth is, the BE basketball schools have better options than those schools within the Big East's original footprint to split off as a pretty damn good basketball only conference.

I worry about what Marinato's resignation, and a possible split of this conference will do to UConn football. An independent football schedule for UConn is pretty much a pipe dream. We may find ourselves in a football conference with Old Dominion and UNC Charlotte, who didn't even field teams on any level last year. I was rooting like hell for the latest incarnation of the Big East to succeed, because it was better than the alternative, which is we don't know where the fugg we will end up for sure. If we're fortunate enough to get a lifeline from the ACC or any other "big boy conference", i'll be ecstatic, but that isn't something anyone associated with UConn has any control of at the moment.

As for Marinato his biggest fault in all this, is that he couldn't rally the school presidents toward a common goal before the latest raid. He simply either lacked the vision, or the persuasive skills to hold this together. If they could have kept it together, the Big East was in line for some nice TV money. With a little foresight, he could have prepared the presidents, for ESPN eventually playing the role of Eve and dangling the apple for a couple of schools to jump ship, instead and this is pure conjecture on my part, he expected ESPN to play like a nice business partner and let the Big East put their product out to bid on the open market without weakening it. He talked in public about being the only BCS league with a tV contract up for bidding, basically begging ESPN to come in and decimate them once again. Chuck Neinas pulls the the Big 12 from death's door by getting giants like Texas and Oklahoma to grant their media rights to the conference. By the time Marinato brought this idea to the BE presidents, they would have had to been complete idiots to sign on. The Big East, needed a real leader, a visionary if you will, to make this work, not a guy who sends roses to a man responsible for getting the Big 12 into a tenuous position to begin with. He was limited in what he could do, but he didn't help the situation either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom