Jim Mora aims to win national championship as UConn football coach. He's serious: 'Have to believe that' (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora aims to win national championship as UConn football coach. He's serious: 'Have to believe that' (Mike Anthony)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That is the ultimate goal in college football. If you don't aim for that, what's the point?

Hey, the guy has taken a team to the Super Bowl. If he doesn't know what it takes, who does?
I don't think he has.

Reaction Score
The last paragraph got cut off for me on the assistant version. I don't know if that happened to anyone else, but here it is, if you need it:

View attachment 88709
Love the guy! To me the model in some ways is Liberty. If they can get a top 25 ranking I have to think we can too. Some year soon We go 10-2 or 9-3 or something and get ranked in the Top 25 and I think we can, some P5 is going to take us. Because we are a major player in too many sports to be ignored.

Reaction Score
I really appreciate that he is talking like this. He is setting the sights of the program on the highest of all possible goals. In a place like New England there is bound to be blow back that he is attempting the impossible or blah, blah blah. But he is telling the media and potential recruits that he wants to take the Huskies where they have never been before. Fortune favors the bold.

Reaction Score
H
He really has the potential to be UConn Football's Jim Calhoun. I really feel like Mora is going to put UConn back on the map and really turn some heads.
How do you feel about the pure talent level on our roster this year compared to last year?

Reaction Score
H

How do you feel about the pure talent level on our roster this year compared to last year?
I would say it's the same if not slightly better. Yes we lost some talent to transfer, but I believe we have a lot of pieces in place to step right in with minimal if any lost of production. Calhoun didn't win a title for what 13 years or something like that. Obviously everyone wants to win now and patience is out the window, but I believe Mora is taking the Calhoun approach to recruiting. Lock down the immediate area then continue to expand as you see more success.

Reaction Score
I would say it's the same if not slightly better. Yes we lost some talent to transfer, but I believe we have a lot of pieces in place to step right in with minimal if any lost of production. Calhoun didn't win a title for what 13 years or something like that. Obviously everyone wants to win now and patience is out the window, but I believe Mora is taking the Calhoun approach to recruiting. Lock down the immediate area then continue to expand as you see more success.
Yeah I agree. I worry because we won a lot of our games last year partially based on some luck and I’m hoping we improve fundamentally to make up for it if the cards don’t fall the same way this year.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. I worry because we won a lot of our games last year partially based on some luck and I’m hoping we improve fundamentally to make up for it if the cards don’t fall the same way this year.
This team is going to go as far as the QB can take us. Roberson is back, Turner has experience, and Fagnano is someone that was successful under our OC,

Reaction Score
Rah, rah, rah...

Jim Mora is aiming for a national championship, and I plan to buy out Elon Musk. All I need (with a nod to Scrooge McDuck) is a cubic mile of money. And all Jim Mora needs is for all of the other football teams which are perennially better than UConn to go belly-up. While it's great to have high aspirations, it's also a good thing to be grounded in reality.

Simple economics: Talk is cheap because, in Mora's case, supply exceeds demand.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Rah, rah, rah...

Jim Mora is aiming for a national championship, and I plan to buy out Elon Musk. All I need (with a nod to Scrooge McDuck) is a cubic mile of money. And all Jim Mora needs is for all of the other football teams which are perennially better than UConn to go belly-up. While it's great to have high aspirations, it's also a good thing to be grounded in reality.

Don't you have a mediocre team of your own to worry about? Hell, you even have a mediocre basketball team to keep you busy if you get bored with your mediocre football team. I don't see why you spend your time ans energy trolling this board.

Reaction Score
Rah, rah, rah...

Must be just awful for you Henry, we are your daddy. Sorry, you do have women's lacrosse. For now.

Reaction Score
He really has the potential to be UConn Football's Jim Calhoun. I really feel like Mora is going to put UConn back on the map and really turn some heads.
Agree with your point but two completely different personalities. ;) Same first name but very different Jim's. But then again Jim Mora and Jim Penders have developed a great relationship. May the Jim's continue to take us to newer heights in the academic and athletic world.

Reaction Score
Rah, rah, rah...

Why are you here then? Mora is probably the best coach in thr NE right now.

Reaction Score
Rah, rah, rah...

Yep, heard the same stuff about UConn basketball when I was a kid. Your post isn't clever, just short-sighted.

Reaction Score
Why are you here then? Mora is probably the best coach in thr NE right now.
Wow, "probably the best coach in the Northeast right now." That takes in a lot of territory: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and parts of New York and maybe New Jersey. Perhaps unwittingly, you've made my point. No school east of the Hudson River is even mildly competitive in college football.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
It may be just semantics, but more to the point, those of us from New England usually refer to the designation "the NE" as referring to much more than New England and parts of NY.

The Northeast (NE), at least as I refer to it, and even as the U.S. Census Bureau defines it, includes nine U.S. states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. Some broader definitions also include Maryland, Delaware, and Washington, D.C., and on rare occasions (not mine), West Virginia, and Virginia.

Personally, I don't believe any states or districts below the Mason-Dixon line (starting with VA, WVA, DC) can legitimately called part of the NE. But, I can see how Ohio might be.

So, saying we possibly have the best football HC in the NE, to me, includes HCs of some pretty good P5 football schools, and even some highly respected G5 schools, so I agree with the statement "we possibly have the best football HC in the NE".

BTW, NJ is not "east of the Hudson River" as anyone familiar with US geography knows.

Reaction Score
Wow, "probably the best coach in the Northeast right now." That takes in a lot of territory: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and parts of New York and maybe New Jersey. Perhaps unwittingly, you've made my point. No school east of the Hudson River is even mildly competitive in college football.
That includes New Jersey and Pennsylvania too.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Is there a better coach in Maine? Vermont? New Hampshire? Massachusetts? Connecticut? The parts of New York that you were referring to? Maybe New Jersey (even the entirety of New York and New Jersey)?

The thing is, even if it is about being the tallest among a group of dwarves, bis statement wasn't necessarily wrong and your post provided nothing refute his.

I've asked this already but I will try again: you have your own mediocre football team to worry about and, if that doesn't fill your time you can worry about your mediocre basketball team. Why are you here? Do you believe that you can convince some of us to become BC fans? Do you believe your comments here will help BC win games that they wouldn't be able to win without you making these comments? Do you just enjoy presenting yourself as a complete ass? Personally I don't get it. Why would anyone waste their time on the board of a school they do not root for?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
hank970 only wishes he could troll as well as the original, Hartford Hank. The BC Crank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom