Jim Mora aims to win national championship as UConn football coach. He's serious: 'Have to believe that' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Jim Mora aims to win national championship as UConn football coach. He's serious: 'Have to believe that' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Nice job by Mike… worth the whole read.

Assisted access <<

-> As Mora spoke, though, others on campus were preparing to at least consider the possibility of conference realignment that would place the athletic department, and therefore the football program, in the top tier of college athletics. The Big 12 is looking to stabilize its place in the Power Five landscape through expansion, and UConn is being considered as a member for, among other things, its Northeast footprint and substantial basketball success.

An invitation could be in the works. It could come over the summer. It might never come at all. And if that’s the case, there is the possibility for another opportunity once the music starts up again, given the continually shifting nature of an unstable national model. But for now, there appears to be some fire under all the Big 12 smoke, andUConn might have to consider leaving the Big East and its basketball-centric platform. <-

-> “Eventually, I would love, from a football standpoint, for us to be a Power Five program,” Mora said. “I see some of the push-back that people have when there are rumors out there because of the Big East and basketball, and I can appreciate that. I don't have the history here at UConn or in the Northeast or in the Big East to understand all the complexities of it and the history and the emotions that's been involved with the change. I'm ignorant to some of that stuff. So I just see it through the glass of the head football coach that says he wants to be in a Power Five conference and compete for a championship. But I know this: It's not up to me.” <-

-> “What are things that are harder to accomplish here?” Mora said. “You look at our facilities, we have everything we need. The way we travel is first-class. The way we feed our players is first-class. Our ability to acquire a first-rate staff is great. I would say if there's one thing, it's just when we're in a recruiting battle — and this happens too often — we’ll be in a battle and we'll be winning that battle; and the kids come on campus and love the campus and love the facility; they meet the people and they love the people; they see our vision and they love our vision. And then a Power Five team walks in at the last minute and fulfills their dream of playing Power Five football, and we lose him. That's really, to me, been the only obstacle. Every day there's little picky things, but a true obstacle? That's the only obstacle we've seen. The good news is we've been in the fight. We'll start winning some of those battles. We'll start pulling people away from the Power Five teams as we become more successful as a program.” <-

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Great article and insight into HCJM’s thought process. Seems like we have the inside track on keeping him for the medium term even if he sees dramatic success (fingers crossed).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These are well nuanced quotes.... nice change from the decade of clumsy quotes we have seen.
Mora is a smart guy who understands the impact of his words and pretty consistently stays on message. The upside to that is we don't have to worry about him starting pretend rivalries or talking about a broadcast deal with nickelodeon. The downside is I'm not sure how good an insight we actually get into the program and his thought process. Overall, though, it's a big Net plus. He's a pro.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice job by Mike… worth the whole read.

Assisted access <<

-> As Mora spoke, though, others on campus were preparing to at least consider the possibility of conference realignment that would place the athletic department, and therefore the football program, in the top tier of college athletics. The Big 12 is looking to stabilize its place in the Power Five landscape through expansion, and UConn is being considered as a member for, among other things, its Northeast footprint and substantial basketball success.

An invitation could be in the works. It could come over the summer. It might never come at all. And if that’s the case, there is the possibility for another opportunity once the music starts up again, given the continually shifting nature of an unstable national model. But for now, there appears to be some fire under all the Big 12 smoke, andUConn might have to consider leaving the Big East and its basketball-centric platform. <-

-> “Eventually, I would love, from a football standpoint, for us to be a Power Five program,” Mora said. “I see some of the push-back that people have when there are rumors out there because of the Big East and basketball, and I can appreciate that. I don't have the history here at UConn or in the Northeast or in the Big East to understand all the complexities of it and the history and the emotions that's been involved with the change. I'm ignorant to some of that stuff. So I just see it through the glass of the head football coach that says he wants to be in a Power Five conference and compete for a championship. But I know this: It's not up to me.” <-

-> “What are things that are harder to accomplish here?” Mora said. “You look at our facilities, we have everything we need. The way we travel is first-class. The way we feed our players is first-class. Our ability to acquire a first-rate staff is great. I would say if there's one thing, it's just when we're in a recruiting battle — and this happens too often — we’ll be in a battle and we'll be winning that battle; and the kids come on campus and love the campus and love the facility; they meet the people and they love the people; they see our vision and they love our vision. And then a Power Five team walks in at the last minute and fulfills their dream of playing Power Five football, and we lose him. That's really, to me, been the only obstacle. Every day there's little picky things, but a true obstacle? That's the only obstacle we've seen. The good news is we've been in the fight. We'll start winning some of those battles. We'll start pulling people away from the Power Five teams as we become more successful as a program.” <-

The last paragraph got cut off for me on the assistant version. I don't know if that happened to anyone else, but here it is, if you need it:

1685975499390.png

Reaction Score
Every day I admire Coach Mora even more. From the day he was hired, he has been a breath of fresh air & has invigorated the Husky football program. A.D. Dave made the right hire.
UConn is very lucky to have him that is for sure. Jim Mora is very intelligent and not stupid-he knows he could make more money at some other school. He didn't come back to coaching for the money, although he wants his desired compensation albeit under his market value. He returned to coaching to build a legacy for himself which I think is fantastic.

Reaction Score
I think of HC Jim Mora every time I read some ignorant post about UConn not taking football seriously, UConn left the AAC, etc. I'm sure he reads those posts and takes them personally. I'm also sure all the other coaches and presidents know UConn is taking football very seriously with Jim Mora at the helm.

climb high.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't see why not. We saw Cincinnati make it to the playoffs playing a relatively weak schedule. And looked just as bad as Michigan did in the playoffs so there's the opportunity especially with expansion on the way.

Reaction Score
I was excited for this hire because I envied his retirement lifestyle in the mountains. He and AD David Benedict are a great team. I’d take Mora over Prime any day.
To be fair, Mora is a known commodity that has proven to be an excellent coach and recruiter. Prime hasn't really shown us anything yet.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Many will call me nuts after reading this but I don't care, I'll gladly debate this with any non-believer.

Our Fiesta bowl team, if we could have plucked two players (who weren't any higher rated than most of our players) from that season's Cincinnati roster (QB Collaros; WR Binns) would have been undefeated going into the bowl game and would have been more competitive in that game.

That game should have (and would have if our athletic department leadership had any quality) been a launching point for the program. From there, whether it would have returned the coach who got us there or we brought in a bright, young ambitious replacement, we could have been in position to grow exponentially from there.

Mora checks all boxes but one (but as he is almost exactly one year younger than I am and I believe I have quite a bit left on the tank) I believe he can build this program, first to where we will crack the rankings, then to consistently being very good, finally to where we can make a run at a title.

Let the naysayers laugh. I'll outlast all of them and I'll be laughing at them once we get there.

Reaction Score
The BE is a league of small private catholic schools. Except for MBB it's a small step above the Ivy League. Does UC want to be a big fish in a small pond ? Is the goal to be like URI + Villanova ? If your not power 5, you will be left behind. Football is the driving force, all other sports are irrelevant in conference expansion. Choosing the BE over B12 is similar to choosing to play for the Hartford Wolfpack rather than the NY Rangers. Why would you? Money is everything. Wahington + Oregon want into the B1G. Travel time + cost is not an issue with them. Athlete's would rather sit at a P5 school than play at a lower level. Top players don't choose a school because they like the Biology Dept. At Decision time. Are we in, or out? I vote yes B12 /ACC/B1G . I vote no BE.

Reaction Score
The BE is a league of small private catholic schools. Except for MBB it's a small step above the Ivy League. Does UC want to be a big fish in a small pond ? Is the goal to be like URI + Villanova ? If your not power 5, you will be left behind. Football is the driving force, all other sports are irrelevant in conference expansion. Choosing the BE over B12 is similar to choosing to play for the Hartford Wolfpack rather than the NY Rangers. Why would you? Money is everything. Wahington + Oregon want into the B1G. Travel time + cost is not an issue with them. Athlete's would rather sit at a P5 school than play at a lower level. Top players don't choose a school because they like the Biology Dept. At Decision time. Are we in, or out? I vote yes B12 /ACC/B1G . I vote no BE.
You know we need to be invited? We don't get a vote.

Reaction Score
Many will call me nuts after reading this but I don't care, I'll gladly debate this with any non-believer.

Our Fiesta bowl team, if we could have plucked two players (who weren't any higher rated than most of our players) from that season's Cincinnati roster (QB Collaros; WR Binns) would have been undefeated going into the bowl game and would have been more competitive in that game.

That game should have (and would have if our athletic department leadership had any quality) been a launching point for the program. From there, whether it would have returned the coach who got us there or we brought in a bright, young ambitious replacement, we could have been in position to grow exponentially from there.

Mora checks all boxes but one (but as he is almost exactly one year younger than I am and I believe I have quite a bit left on the tank) I believe he can build this program, first to where we will crack the rankings, then to consistently being very good, finally to where we can make a run at a title.

Let the naysayers laugh. I'll outlast all of them and I'll be laughing at them once we get there.
I thought that game showed where we were at the time. 14 points worse than Oklahoma (it was them, right?) I think it was fair and we were looking like we were moving upward and onward.

Reaction Score

I’m probably crazy but I think if we were in a P5 with Mora as the HC, we could play in the CFB especially if it expands. People laughed at us in the early 90’s saying we could never win a ship in bball. Here we are with 16!! I can also see a P5 invite really boosting the baseball team also.

Edit: I wanted to add I bet the over for FB wins again and I took the point giants NCST.

Reaction Score
Every day I admire Coach Mora even more. From the day he was hired, he has been a breath of fresh air & has invigorated the Husky football program. A.D. Dave made the right hire.
Dave Benedict did hire the right guy! Wonderful hire and maybe we can be in a New Years Bowl.

Reaction Score
I think of HC Jim Mora every time I read some ignorant post about UConn not taking football seriously, UConn left the AAC, etc. I'm sure he reads those posts and takes them personally. I'm also sure all the other coaches and presidents know UConn is taking football very seriously with Jim Mora at the helm.

View attachment 88712
Been there many times. Williams is the best damn college in the U.S. by far.

Reaction Score
Great academics, quite possibly the most boring place on earth.
That it is. It’s eerily quiet on Fridays and Saturday. Super intense place, but I guess that’s the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom