Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 51 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
UConn, all the job postings have closed so they are now filling in the staff as the recruiting positions seemed to be filled not to long ago on the staff listing
Oh wow.. I looked at the main sports site and didn't see them up there... Good stuff...

Reaction Score
Mike Ryan is again listed as a defensive analyst and Christian Pace is listed as an offensive analyst

Are we certain that this is the Mike Ryan who played at UCONN and then was the Maine Defensive Coordinator last season?

Reaction Score
Are we certain that this is the Mike Ryan who played at UCONN and then was the Maine Defensive Coordinator last season?
I would assume so as Maine has a new DC , he has gotten follow from a good amount of staff including Mora.

Reaction Score
There are 2 different Mike Ryan's. One is a former a former UConn offensive lineman (2007-2011) from Pennsylvania. He was seriously injured in a car accident in Pennsylvania in June 2012, and also ran into some trouble with the law and served some time.

The other Mike Ryan is the one who is coming here to coach. He is also a graduate of UConn. He played one year of football at Salve Regina in 2006. He did not play football at UConn, however he did serve as a student assistant with the football team from 2008-2010. He's coached at Bates and Trinity. In 2014 he joined the coaching staff at Maine and was named Defensive Coordinator there in 2019.

Reaction Score

247Sports Grading every new coaching staff in college football

17. (out of 29) UCONN: C+

Jim Mora is back in college football, and though no one remembers his time at UCLA fondly, it’s quite incredible the staff he built this offseason at UConn.
UConn is one of the worst jobs in the FBS and yet Mora lured an FCS head coach, an NFL assistant and four FBS assistants from mid-tier programs to Storrs. That’s quite remarkable and a testament to Mora’s clout. It might also show UConn is actually serious about football. Keeping Lou Spanos, who served as the interim coach, on board as defensive coordinator was a no-brainer, too.

Head coach: Jim Mora
New staff: Nick Charlton, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (Maine, head coach); E.J. Barthel, running backs (Carolina Panthers, offensive assistant); John Allen, receivers (Louisiana Tech, outside receivers); Gordie Sammis, offensive line (William & Mary, offensive line); John Marinelli, tight ends (Illinois, analyst); Siriki Diabate, linebackers (Middle Tennessee, linebackers); Dalton Hilliard, defensive backs (Arkansas State, secondary); Ryan Osborne, defensive assistant (Michigan, analyst); Kenny McClendon, defensive line (Youngstown State, defensive line); Dough Shearer, special teams (Miami Ohio, special teams)
Holdover: Lou Spanos, defensive coordinator

26. UMass D+
28. Akron D

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Jim Mora is back in college football, and though no one remembers his time at UCLA fondly, it’s quite incredible the staff he built this offseason at UConn.
UConn is one of the worst jobs in the FBS and yet Mora lured an FCS head coach, an NFL assistant and four FBS assistants from mid-tier programs to Storrs. That’s quite remarkable and a testament to Mora’s clout. It might also show UConn is actually serious about football. Keeping Lou Spanos, who served as the interim coach, on board as defensive coordinator was a no-brainer, too.

New staff: Nick Charlton, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (Maine, head coach); E.J. Barthel, running backs (Carolina Panthers, offensive assistant); John Allen, receivers (Louisiana Tech, outside receivers); Gordie Sammis, offensive line (William & Mary, offensive line); John Marinelli, tight ends (Illinois, analyst); Siriki Diabate, linebackers (Middle Tennessee, linebackers); Dalton Hilliard, defensive backs (Arkansas State, secondary); Ryan Osborne, defensive assistant (Michigan, analyst); Kenny McClendon, defensive line (Youngstown State, defensive line); Dough Shearer, special teams (Miami Ohio, special teams)

26. UMass D+
28. Akron D
I'd prefer see grading on a curve. For where we were, our hire is closer to an A-.

Reaction Score

26. UMass D+
28. Akron D
The grades are a joke. Texas Tech hires a first time head coach and gets an A, but USC hires Lincoln Riley and gets a B+. Oregon and Oklahoma hire first time coaches who were defensive coordinators and get As. Akron hires Joe Moorhead, an experienced and successful offensive minded head coach and they get a D.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer see grading on a curve. For where we were, our hire is closer to an A-.
This article was such a poor assessment of so many hirings but I won't even go there. The "UConn section" is basically more of the narrative that "UConn isn't in a conference, it's never going to work" without any thought whatsoever that most of the fanbase would rather be playing Syracuse/BC non-league every year than East Carolina. I've far and away been impressed with Mora's offseason so far - reaching out to alums, local HS/Prep coaches, transfer pool, coaching hires... they may go 3-9 next year but it's year one.

Reaction Score
The grades are a joke. Texas Tech hires a first time head coach and gets an A, but USC hires Lincoln Riley and gets a B+. Oregon and Oklahoma hire first time coaches who were defensive coordinators and get As. Akron hires Joe Moorhead, an experienced and successful offensive minded head coach and they get a D.
But they aren't grading the head coaches. They're grading the staffs that they put together. Did you read the article or just look at the grades?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This article was such a poor assessment of so many hirings but I won't even go there. The "UConn section" is basically more of the narrative that "UConn isn't in a conference, it's never going to work" without any thought whatsoever that most of the fanbase would rather be playing Syracuse/BC non-league every year than East Carolina. I've far and away been impressed with Mora's offseason so far - reaching out to alums, local HS/Prep coaches, transfer pool, coaching hires... they may go 3-9 next year but it's year one.
But they aren't grading the head coaches. They're grading the staffs that they put together. Did you read the article or just look at the grades?
I found it weird that taking an assistant from Arkansas State was propped up for Clay Helton but for Mora it is just taking from a middle tier program.

Click. Bait. You fell for it.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
If this staff is a C+, what was the prior staff? Granted that we haven’t seen any real game coaching or results yet, but it sure feels like there is a realistic turn in the program. I am amazed at the new commitment and investment that the Jim Mora era has brought. Our OC, a young up and comer, left a head coaching job to be on the staff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If this staff is a C+, what was the prior staff? Granted that we haven’t seen any real game coaching or results yet, but it sure feels like there is a realistic turn in the program. I am amazed at the new commitment and investment that the Jim Mora era has brought. Our OC, a young up and comer, left a head coaching job to be on the staff.
F-

Reaction Score
Regardless I think what is not taken into account is the big improvement being made in the recruiting and administrative staffs is a big piece of the turnaround

Reaction Score
Had Oklahoma hire Moorhead it would have been A++++ and it would have been the greatest hire of all time.

Reaction Score
Is that the Dalton Hilliard who played in the NO backfield with Rueben Mays in the ‘Dome Patrol’ days?

Reaction Score
I think we got a big donor to pay for all these hires, initials are J.M. lol.

I jest, need to get that part in before someone flips a lid.

Reaction Score
Staff Directory looks complete with Mike Z. adding Asst GM to his title and Jake P. now listed as an analyst instead of QC.

One question comes to mind when I see 38 names where there used to be about 20 to 25.
Where is all the office space?
Were there empty offices in the Burton facility?
Or are we back to trailers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom