Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
Now that we all can look up salaries.

Assume each of the young guys got an upgrade in pay. Marinelli particularly. Diabite, Sammis, Barthel, Hilliard, Shearer; if we do well, they are easily picked off by predatory coaches looking to upgrade their next roster January 2023. So ... I guess the key - from my view - Benedict telling Mora that the couch has coins to deliver if the 2022 exceeds our recent inept production. Charlton? I see him as a great succession candidate; and I expect (with UCONN success) others in FBS will see him as a target. Best Practices?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
frankly, I’m amazed it took this long to derail this thread.
I would think once the staff was complete we could have closed the thread. Derailment was inevitable.
Semi on topic, I know very little about coaching and this staff outside of what's been discussed here, but from the outside looking in, everything appears to be going swimmingly. Proof will be in the pudding. Hopefully they are all good teachers and makers of men. I'm so tired of being the butt of College FB jokes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would think once the staff was complete we could have closed the thread. Derailment was inevitable.
Semi on topic, I know very little about coaching and this staff outside of what's been discussed here, but from the outside looking in, everything appears to be going swimmingly. Proof will be in the pudding. Hopefully they are all good teachers and makers of men. I'm so tired of being the butt of College FB jokes.
The energy around the program seems dramatically upgraded. I think we did pretty well in the portal and seem to have refurbished our relationship with in-state high school programs. All good things. But, like you, I will have a healthy skepticism until we see results on the field.

Reaction Score
The energy around the program seems dramatically upgraded. I think we did pretty well in the portal and seem to have refurbished our relationship with in-state high school programs. All good things. But, like you, I will have a healthy skepticism until we see results on the field.

all this accomplished in about 3 months, my expectations are we continue to rise

Reaction Score
There was a lot of hype when RE returned. REstored was a thing. This FEELS different but have to see team take the field to see what's up. I couldn't believe how bad they were under Randy.
I’m hoping there is a big difference this time round, but it really is still TBD. The early difference is the Mora is bringing in some experience from the portal and RE2.0 was restocking each year with incoming freshmen. We were consistently one of the youngest teams through the entirety of RE2.0. We just kept losing upperclassmen and not replacing them. Hopefully this teams experience pays off!

Reaction Score
While I had high expectations for RE2.0, he seemed more intent on chasing kids and potential wins out the door, so he could reign over program. We had neither the depth nor experience to handle the churn, or his ego. The fact that he trashed the portal even after getting contributions from transfers was mystifying. There just did not seem to be a coherent plan. And his smugness played ever more poorly with each loss.

Anyway, I’m all in on little jimmy leading us to better days. It’s nice to know wins matter. And the controlled enthusiasm for the program is such a breath of fresh air.

Bring on the Aggies!

Reaction Score
I’m hoping there is a big difference this time round, but it really is still TBD. The early difference is the Mora is bringing in some experience from the portal and RE2.0 was restocking each year with incoming freshmen. We were consistently one of the youngest teams through the entirety of RE2.0. We just kept losing upperclassmen and not replacing them. Hopefully this teams experience pays off!
I think the biggest difference is Mora saw how inept the offense was and he brought in an OC who was also going to be the QB coach and 3 QBs, 2 transfers and 1 HS, who are higher rated than probably any QB UConn has ever recruited. Outside of Lashlee, Edsall's OC choices were first time OCs and it seemed Edsall had a hard time recruiting QBs. A modestly competent offense over the past few years would have lead to more wins.

Reaction Score
Those hurry up 3 and out offensive plays (that defenses read before the ball was even hiked) doomed us...

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Why close the thread? How the staff comes together over the next 6 months plays a large part in addressing your concerns in para 2.

Reaction Score
I think the difference now is that all of the things that we expected to see happen or needed to happen are happening.

Uptick in recruiting. Landing several talented QBs through high school and the portal. Healthy and positive engagement with the fanbase through social media, the media and on podcasts.

I don’t think we will improve, I know we will. We may not make a bowl this season and maybe the next, but I know we will get better.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Why close the thread? How the staff comes together over the next 6 months plays a large part in addressing your concerns in para 2.
This thread was started relative to the hiring and filling out of his coaching roster. That's complete. Hence me saying the thread could have been closed. I doubt we'd get any news or info regarding how the staff is coming together in a symbiotic way and we surely would not have any meaningful discussion about it.

Reaction Score
then ... Noel Mazzone is now the Offensive Coordinator of the USFL New Orleans Breakers where former UNC HC Larry Fedora is Head Coach; of course the where is Birmingham for a few. And Mazzone seems to bring his sons along for position coaching.

Skip Holtz is the Birmingham Stallions HC.

Reaction Score
As I reflect on Jim Mora all I can think is how can he possibley manage all the staff he's brought in AND the staff he's brought in will not only produce a better onfield product but also, as with the hiring of Kevin Poles, lead to better lives long term for all players who come to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As I reflect on Jim Mora all I can think is how can he possibley manage all the staff he's brought in AND the staff he's brought in will not only produce a better onfield product but also, as with the hiring of Kevin Poles, lead to better lives long term for all players who come to UConn.
Being adequately and competently staffed makes his job easier. I don’t want my head coach worrying about “winning breakfast“. I want him focused on winning games.

I don’t know if it’s just the aura of competency that Jim Mora projects, but everyone of these hires feels right, doesn’t it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom