Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oco - interesting list of possibilities - but I suspect this choice was made a while ago, and she didn't want to mess with the team's preparations and performance in the NCAAs by creating a distraction so she probably just kept it to herself.
That either she or ND mislead either the coaches/AD, or the media is the only off color aspect of keeping it secret until after the tournament.

Reaction Score
As I noted in another thread:
Watch out for Tuck
Nothing to do with disloyalty
She'll want to go out with her class
And there's just so much life in her knees.
Completely and reasonable self-interest.
And 4 National Championships is enough for anyone.
Leave a few for the next guy. :)
Isn't there a rule on the BY that we can't talk about players leaving until at least 10 days after we win an NC?

Reaction Score
I for one, am shocked. Loyd was one of the few Irish I thoroughly enjoyed watching. She has a beautiful style of play, for the most part and she seems like a really good kid. I wish her the best and especially understand and respect her if this decision is motivated but her family's financial situation. If she were to have stayed however, and go #2 after Stewie next year, it was my understanding that the #1-3 players drafted make a relatively similar salary. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, would the fact that she would be drafted at #2 make a huge difference in endorsement deals as opposed to deals she may make at #1 this year?

Obviously, I like UConns chances of a fourth title even more now but Jewel was good for women's college basketball and for that, I'm sorry to see her go early.
They all make the same salary as rookies. It isn't like the NBA.

To be honest, I was shocked and thought this was an April Fool's joke when I saw the thread this morning even though I wanted her to go pro.

Behind her all the way though

Reaction Score
I for one, am shocked. Loyd was one of the few Irish I thoroughly enjoyed watching. She has a beautiful style of play, for the most part and she seems like a really good kid. I wish her the best and especially understand and respect her if this decision is motivated but her family's financial situation. If she were to have stayed however, and go #2 after Stewie next year, it was my understanding that the #1-3 players drafted make a relatively similar salary. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, would the fact that she would be drafted at #2 make a huge difference in endorsement deals as opposed to deals she may make at #1 this year?
Might not, but getting those deals now vs. a year form now might make a huge difference.

Reaction Score
I could have tolerated Skylar's facial expressions much better if she had been wearing a UConn uniform.

Ah, the truth comes out. UConn fans' issues with Skylar were not her facial expressions, it was the fact that she led teams that had the audacity to beat the Huskies on a somewhat regular basis.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ha ha

LaChina Robinson is in troll mode.

LaChina Robinson ‏@Lives2Inspire

Jewell Loyd has decided to leave early for the @WNBA. It's sad that she will never receive the college POY awards that she earned THIS year.
Was LaChina drunk/hungover while trolling? I don't get this one at all. The season is over if you think Jewell was POY what prevents you from giving her the trophy? If she on the ESPN payroll ESPN has already named Jewell POY, is ESPN no going to go through with the award because she decided to turn pro? Why the emphasis on THIS year? Is she mad a Stewie for raking in all the other awards. If anyone follows her on twitter ask her" Why you so mad?"

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
By that way of thinking, Stewart, Jefferson, et al should go pro now as well. I like the fact the women's game keeps players around for 4 years 99% of the time.

One of the great things about women's collegiate sports is that it not the cesspool that is men's basketball and football. Women athletes are using basketball or whatever sport as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

This game also showed she has things she still needs to work on.
The major flaw in your assertion is the fact that Stewart and Jefferson aren't Draft eligible, Loyd is. As someone commented earlier in the thread, why should she stay another year? What exactly would be the benefit to her? Candace Parker came out early and it didn't hurt her one bit. Jewell Loyd has the potential to be the #1 pick in this year's draft, she obviously won't be next year. She'll have a year to work with USA Basketball to try to make the Olympic Team and just maybe she doesn't want to be in school anymore. Will a fourth straight NC loss to UConn next April in which she plays badly again, as she has in the last 3, help her any? She made the best decision for her and her family which is really all that matters.

Reaction Score
Oco - interesting list of possibilities - but I suspect this choice was made a while ago, and she didn't want to mess with the team's preparations and performance in the NCAAs by creating a distraction so she probably just kept it to herself.
That either she or ND mislead either the coaches/AD, or the media is the only off color aspect of keeping it secret until after the tournament.
She just told the coach she was staying as well as the ND official. Seems like a spur of the moment decision to me. Best wishes anyhow.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Joe - great post. And I especially like your points 2 and 4.
I would say that for a few very select players there is one more financial piece that adds to the plus side for leaving. Skylar with her twitter following and glamour was a shoe in to augment her athletic income with huge marketing opportunities, Maya with her game and perfect personality the same, EDD with her looks and back story the same, Parker, the same, DT the same, Sue - the same - I might have missed one or two players - but that is a very select universe - maybe one player every other year. I do not think, as good as Loyd is, and as much as she seems to be both bright and personable, that she falls into that select group.

Reaction Score
Joe - great post. And I especially like your points 2 and 4.
I would say that for a few very select players there is one more financial piece that adds to the plus side for leaving. Skylar with her twitter following and glamour was a shoe in to augment her athletic income with huge marketing opportunities, Maya with her game and perfect personality the same, EDD with her looks and back story the same, Parker, the same, DT the same, Sue - the same - I might have missed one or two players - but that is a very select universe - maybe one player every other year. I do not think, as good as Loyd is, and as much as she seems to be both bright and personable, that she falls into that select group.
All season long she's been paired with Stewart as the best WCBB players. She is in a select group.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You maybe on to something there. I expected to see Jewell way out in from in terms of shot attempts but she was not . Allen was only 31 shots behind and shot it significantly better 52% vs. 44%. Over the course of the year perhaps the ND staff should have "adjusted" leaning more on Allen and Turner.

Maybe I'm not reading you quite correctly but...the stats I'm looking at have Jewell at 614 shot attempts and Allen at 297.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have several thoughts about this general topic, less about Jewell than about whether this is the start of a trend and whether it could affect UConn.

1. Regarding Jewell herself, her family situation (which I and probably everyone here knows nothing about) might or might not be a critical factor. When Epiphanny Prince skipped her senior year a few years ago, it was because her mother lived in a high-crime neighborhood and it was urgent for Piph to earn enough money to enable her mother to move out of there. I doubt if Jewell is in a comparable situation, but if there is some family illness or any other situation that requires or would benefit from a quick cash infusion, then that is certainly a valid reason for her to make this decision.

2. You have to be a REALLY good basketball player in the women's game for the WNBA plus winter income to be enough to offset the long-term economic advantage of a college degree. Jewell might be at or close to that level, but I doubt that many players are, so it is unlikely to become a trend.

3. Specific to UConn, I very much doubt that Kia Nurse in two years is going to be at a basketball skill level comparable to Jewell as of now. For her, as for Kalana Greene and others, taking a senior year in college (which is a pretty nice life with charter flights, plush resorts for Thanksgiving tournaments, etc.) makes a lot more sense.

4. Someone suggested that the risk of a career-ending injury while in college makes it irrational for any player to stay in college after she is eligible to turn pro. I would make two responses to that argument: (a) Most players who are going to have career-ending injuries have already had major injury problems by the time they are Jewell's age (e.g., Caroline Doty or Shea Ralph), and since Jewell hasn't had those problems, her risk of injury is low; and (b) the amount of money that a player can earn in a year or two before such a hypothetical injury is in most cases insufficient to offset the economic value of a college degree.

5. BUT, for someone like Morgan Tuck, who does have a history of injuries and therefore has an above-average risk of a career-ending injury, AND who will also have earned a degree by the end of next season, the calculation is different. If she looks like she will be a high pick in the WNBA draft and will command a significant foreign income, it may be perfectly sensible for her to pass up her last year of eligibility.

So I don't think that we have to worry about this becoming a major trend. But still, I hope for the sake of WCBB and interest in next year's season that Jewell reconsiders and returns to Notre Dame.
Joe excellent well expressed thoughts. Thank you.

Reaction Score
You could be right; I don't see enough UConn games to make that judgement.

Loyd was off the entire tournament, not just Tuesday night. Jefferson was able to shut down Loyd in part by being physical with her. There was a lot of grabbing and holding that occurred. This is not a knock at the reffing, however. It was called that way the entire game on both ends and it was consistent. That's all both teams could ask for. At that point, it is up to the players to adjust. Loyd couldn't/didn't. Quite frankly, a tighter whistle probably favors UConn due to their having better quality on the bench if the starters had gotten into foul trouble.

And while Loyd was shut down, ND had open looks from other players and missed them. Reimer had several from the foul line area, shots that she has been making pretty consistently since January. They weren't dropping. That along with way too many unforced turnovers in the first half was the difference.
I just can't recall any game in which MoJeff did a lot of grabbing and holding, although she did famously cover Skylar's eyes with her hand.

Reaction Score
ACC is now wide open. I honestly can't say I'm sad to see Loyd leave. She was an incredible talent to watch but at the end of the day she always killed Duke. Next year I get to watch Asia Durr under Waltz, Diamond Deshields, the usual Uconn crew, Alexis Jones with a Baylor team that fits her style, Muffet coaching underclassman, Seasoned South Carolina team, Duke's mix of front court and back court players, UCLA freshman becoming sophomores, Texas trying to dethrone Baylor with two top 10 freshman coming in, and Ohio State adding Duke transfer Kianna Holland who is a sharp shooter that has the Skylar Diggins look. Sucks, for some, to see Jewell Loyd leave but it doesn't "hurt WCBB" completely as some are saying.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm not reading you quite correctly but...the stats I'm looking at have Jewell at 614 shot attempts and Allen at 297.
You are correct. Thanks for the catching me on that I was looking at the minutes played column of the spread sheet not the shot attempts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All season long she's been paired with Stewart as the best WCBB players. She is in a select group.
Select for skill but not in the stratosphere of marketing - that is the select group I am talking about, the ones with looks, talent and personality that inspires marketing people. Griner, Stewart, Charles, etc - great players but not the 'marketing goldmine' that a few select people represent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Was LaChina drunk/hungover while trolling? I don't get this one at all. The season is over if you think Jewell was POY what prevents you from giving her the trophy? If she on the ESPN payroll ESPN has already named Jewell POY, is ESPN no going to go through with the award because she decided to turn pro? Why the emphasis on THIS year? Is she mad a Stewie for raking in all the other awards. If anyone follows her on twitter ask her" Why you so mad?"

People challenged her on that on twitter. Paraphrasing but her argument was that Stewart was the best player but Loyd had the best season because she was Notre Dame's go-to player every game. She thought Stewart was deserving but thought that Loyd was also deserving and would have liked to seen them at least split awards.

Reaction Score
Select for skill but not in the stratosphere of marketing - that is the select group I am talking about, the ones with looks, talent and personality that inspires marketing people. Griner, Stewart, Charles, etc - great players but not the 'marketing goldmine' that a few select people represent.
You never know- to me she's "Jordanesque". Look how far he went...

and we've yet to see how Stewart fares in that regard.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She just told the coach she was staying as well as the ND official. Seems like a spur of the moment decision to me. Best wishes anyhow.
I think it seems like a final decision, rather than a move that gives her until 5 days before the draft to make it final, and this is such a monumental decision that I would hope it took longer the 24 hours to make. And there were a few quotes right after the game that in retrospect ring strange - referring to ND as 'they' and 'the team' and not 'we'. And at the time the level of love she was showing to Uconn players after the final whistle at the time surprised me, and in retrospect has almost a 'goodbye' look as in 'I am gone from college.'

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People challenged her on that on twitter. Paraphrasing but her argument was that Stewart was the best player but Loyd had the best season because she was Notre Dame's go-to player every game. She thought Stewart was deserving but thought that Loyd was also deserving and would have liked to seen them at least split awards.
That is a fair enough position to take (split the awards) but the voting is over now and it did not go her way. She needs to get over it IMO!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You never know- to me she's "Jordanesque". Look how far he went...

and we've yet to see how Stewart fares in that regard.
He went very far, but not based on college - it was his game in the pros that elevated him as it will have to for Loyd. Definitely a possibility, but I doubt something that will lead to big paydays in her first year.

Reaction Score
He went very far, but not based on college - it was his game in the pros that elevated him as it will have to for Loyd. Definitely a possibility, but I doubt something that will lead to big paydays in her first year.
If she goes to Seattle with Sue Bird getting her easy shots (and maybe teaming with Zowie B.) it could lead to a lot of things.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it seems like a final decision, rather than a move that gives her until 5 days before the draft to make it final, and this is such a monumental decision that I would hope it took longer the 24 hours to make. And there were a few quotes right after the game that in retrospect ring strange - referring to ND as 'they' and 'the team' and not 'we'. And at the time the level of love she was showing to Uconn players after the final whistle at the time surprised me, and in retrospect has almost a 'goodbye' look as in 'I am gone from college.'
The 2015 WNBA Draft is April 16th. 5 days before that is tomorrow April 10th. If she were to change her mind and comeback to ND that would be a dramatic reversal or a dramatic reversal all within 72 hours. I don't see that happening. Jewell is gone IMO. Wait. ...Maybe???... I didn't see the first reversal coming either.

Reaction Score
That's my thinking at this point. We'll see what happens as the Draft gets closer.
My advice to her would have been to preserve her WNBA option and sort out her feelings after the dust settles...

Reaction Score
Not sure why you said that about Turner. She was 7-9 from the floor with double digit rebounds plus a block or 2. She played fine. Reimer had more of the deer in the headlights look to me offensively, although she also had double digits in rebounds.
I thought Turner was really cool for a freshman. That kid going to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom