Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jewell Loyd Leaving for WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This response made less sense than your original post. If "few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact" is accurate, why include freshman in your analysis of Tennessee, Baylor and UConn ? And doesn't that contradict or at least give some doubt to the accuracy of your statement "Te'a Cooper instantly picks up the starting PG position" ?
I understand that you don't think ND is a FF team next year but you did dismiss them without mentioning their freshman class while crediting freshman from other teams as helping (e.g. "they also have some quality post players coming in Mompremier and Brown").
You make a definitive statement "One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen." Then follow it up with a qualifier " Ogunbowale? Maybe". After reading all this, I'm not sure where you stand on freshman and their effect on their new teams.

Finally, why you are insisting that Tennessee was a 2 seed in 2014 is beyond me. Usually, when an error is pointed out, the general response is to make the correction rather than insisting that the inaccuracy is in fact accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Women's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Loyd's Legacy has changed. http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball...4-9c7e-13f3a2498f19.html#.VScn5vCnfwk.twitter

While unfortunate Jewel will never be considered one of ND's best unless she decides to return for her Senior Year.

From the article you cite above: "Knowing what is known now, it’s interesting to look back on Loyd’s recent games to see if the gravity of her impending decision impacted her performance. A 45 percent shooter for the season, Loyd was never better than 38 percent in her last five NCAA Tournament games. She was a dismal 3 of 15 against DePaul, 5 of 18 against Baylor and 4 of 18 against Connecticut."

Wonder if her less than stellar performance and considerable grumbling from ND fans pushed her over the edge in this decision making? I do wish she had made a statement in making the announcement; I think an athlete owes the fans that when they leave early.

Reaction Score
Well, she has said she is using her entire eligibility at Tennessee, so I'll take her word for it. It was either on her Twitter or Instagram.

Personally, I think this whole Diamond leaving TN early talk is just wishful thinking by people who don't want Tennessee to do well. There is no difference in her or Tuck's situation. However, many talk about Morgan winning 5 NCs, but Diamond bailing Tennessee as soon as she can.

It's wishful thinking IMO.

I think there's some truth about people not wanting to see Tennessee do well. After all, this is a UConn board. However, there is a difference between Tuck's and Diamond's situation. Deshields has jumped from one team already. It makes it seem as more of a possibility that she would jump again.

Reaction Score
Beating UCONN was put on her (Jewell's) shoulders. She may have just gotten tired of it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't include them because while they are stellar high school players; few freshman players come into freshman seasons making a great impact; which I don't think they will. I also didn't list them because they weren't included in the FF teams I picked. And FYI South Carolina was a 1-seed, and Tennessee was a 2-seed, it just depends on how many other teams they win or lose to because they'll have to player each other 3 times (twice during conference play, and if they both make it to the conference championship final.) I'm not sure if those fours team I chose will be better than I just guessed, it all depends on if Reimer, Allen, Turner, and Westbeld make huge strides in the games because Mabrey is nothing but a shooter; that's it. I don't see her making any huge jumps. One of the freshman will be needed to come in a fill a huge void left by Loyd, which is not going to happen. Ogunbowale? Maybe. Mabrey or Patberg? No.
Just FYI - not sure how the SEC scheduling works but at least this past year SC and TN did not play twice in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Post Diana, Post Maya, Post Breanna. Morgan, Kia, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, Napheesa, De'Janae and then Dangerfield and Irwin. They won't be the only future recruits either. They'll figure it all out. Whether we'll win championships at the rate we have been is unlikely. Then again it was unlikely that we would be winning championships at the rate we are now winning them, 5 in 7 years.

Reaction Score
Well, she has said she is using her entire eligibility at Tennessee, so I'll take her word for it. It was either on her Twitter or Instagram.

Personally, I think this whole Diamond leaving TN early talk is just wishful thinking by people who don't want Tennessee to do well. There is no difference in her or Tuck's situation. However, many talk about Morgan winning 5 NCs, but Diamond bailing Tennessee as soon as she can.

It's wishful thinking IMO.
Yes Twitter and Instagram are a wellspring of indisputable fact. Many here also speculate on Tuck leaving. I wouldn't call it "wishful thinking" regarding Diamond, it's more like reasonable speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if Diamond only spends one year at Tennessee before going pro.

I agree there are many people here who don't want to see Tennessee do well. This attitude is based mainly on the failed attempts to discredit Geno and the UConn program by Pat Summitt, plus TN fan boards continuing vile disrespect. I don't sense any animosity here against the Tenn players.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jewel is in LA along with Breanna and Tiffany Mitchell for the Wooden Award tonight. Possibly she'll make a statement tonight explaining her decision. If she wins which is possible, media will be asking her questions.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Now that would be sad if the ND people hold this decision against her. Very small of them if they do.

It was her choice to make and I respect that. It doesn't mean I have to like it. That's basically what it boils down to.

In terms of legacy, she left, very possibly, another final four, All-American team, and ACC POY on the table. So that does have a huge effect on things when you are evaluating her against someone like Diggins. Another All-America season and she was in the discussion for greatest-ever ND player. Another All-America season with a championship and she would have been #1 without a doubt.

Now, she's probably in the 2nd tier with McBride, Achonwa, Peters, Novosel, et al.

Reaction Score
From the article you cite above: "Knowing what is known now, it’s interesting to look back on Loyd’s recent games to see if the gravity of her impending decision impacted her performance. A 45 percent shooter for the season, Loyd was never better than 38 percent in her last five NCAA Tournament games. She was a dismal 3 of 15 against DePaul, 5 of 18 against Baylor and 4 of 18 against Connecticut."

Wonder if her less than stellar performance and considerable grumbling from ND fans pushed her over the edge in this decision making? I do wish she had made a statement in making the announcement; I think an athlete owes the fans that when they leave early.
To me it sorta sounded like laying the foundation for an excuse for losing the NC game to UCONN again ("We were without the "full" capacity of Loyd.")

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was her choice to make and I respect that. It doesn't mean I have to like it. That's basically what it boils down to.

In terms of legacy, she left, very possibly, another final four, All-American team, and ACC POY on the table. So that does have a huge effect on things when you are evaluating her against someone like Diggins. Another All-America season and she was in the discussion for greatest-ever ND player. Another All-America season with a championship and she would have been #1 without a doubt.

Now, she's probably in the 2nd tier with McBride, Achonwa, Peters, Novosel, et al.
Ruth Riley???

HGN

Reaction Score
Neither Mojeff nor Stewie go pro this year. Jefferson just turned 21 in March and Stewart won't be 21 until August.
Good for UConn and good for the B-Y.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Either she or Diggins is the best ever ND player. They're the first tier.
IMO
Ruth=#1 because she got ND a ring.
Skylar & Jewell Co -# 2 both lead teams into two championship games.
Niele Ivey # 3 because she was part of the succes of # 1 as a player and development of Co-#2
I feel for you, give it some time for the sting of Jewell's announcement to wear off. Jewell definitely greater than Novosel!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IMO
Ruth=#1 because she got ND a ring.
Skylar & Jewell Co -# 2 both lead teams into two championship games.
Niele Ivey # 3 because she was part of the succes of # 1 as a player and development of Co-#2
I feel for you, give it some time for the sting of Jewell's announcement to wear off. Jewell definitely greater than Novosel!

Oh yeah, definitely. Realistically, the second tier is probably just Ivey, McBride, and Loyd. And the other stars of note come somewhere after that.

I started watching ND closely in Diggins's last year. Jewell Loyd is better than Diggins and McBride in my opinion. But Diggins body of work is better as a result of the extra year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To me it sorta sounded like laying the foundation for an excuse for losing the NC game to UCONN again ("We were without the "full" capacity of Loyd.")

That is a credible possibility with that crowd.

Reaction Score
I started watching ND closely in Diggins's last year. Jewell Loyd is better than Diggins and McBride in my opinion. But Diggins body of work is better as a result of the extra year.

As basketball players, I agree that Jewell is better. But I think Skylar gave her teams that extra boost of swagger and confidence that really helped them win a lot of those games against UConn.

McBride and Loyd, to me, are the more quiet kind of leader. They set an example for their team by being excellent, rather than through the force of their personalities. On UConn, Stewart is this kind of leader as well.

Diggins was at times excellent as well, but she also had the personality, and her team's results against UConn benefitted accordingly. My opinion is that UConn may well have been a better team than ND all of Skylar's senior year...but the head to head results told the opposite story. Not until the national semifinals did UConn finally shake off ND.

I think the lack of a personality like Skylar's was one of the missing x-factors that derailed upset attempts by ND these last few years.

Reaction Score
Diggins was at times excellent as well, but she also had the personality, and her team's results against UConn benefitted accordingly. My opinion is that UConn may well have been a better team than ND all of Skylar's senior year...but the head to head results told the opposite story. Not until the national semifinals did UConn finally shake off ND.

I think the lack of a personality like Skylar's was one of the missing x-factors that derailed upset attempts by ND these last few years.

I don't think UCONN was better until they figured out the enigma that once was Breanna Stewart.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This could end up being a blessing in disguise for Notre Dame. Even if Loyd did stay a Notre Dame, chances are they have a season very similar to this one. Minimal loses and a 5th runner up trophy in 6 years. Now that Loyd is gone, Notre Dame is still my pick to make the Final Four, and they are setting themselves up well for 2017. Look at their potential rotation next year:
C-Turner, So
F-Reimer, Jr
F-Mabrey, Fr
G-Allen, Jr
G-Mabrey, Sr
Bench:
Westbeld-So, F
Mabrey-Fr, G/F
Ogunbowale-Fr, G
Patberg-Fr, G

They'll have a full year to gel in the post Loyd era, and return all major contributors going into 2017 besides Michaela Mabrey, who was the 5th option this year. They also have 2 top 15 players coming on board in 2016-17, and are in the mix for Cox, Holmes, and McCoy. That will be their best shot to win a title when UCONN loses Jefferson, Stewart and possibly Morgan Tuck. Additionally, teams like Florida State, South Carolina, Oregon State and Baylor also lose major contributors. Her absence could put Notre Dame in a great spot to be the title favorite in 2016-17.

That said, UCONN could return a lineup of:
C-Butler
F-Tuck
F-KLS
G-Collier
G-Nurse

Which could easily wind up being as good as ND's starting 5.

Reaction Score
This could end up being a blessing in disguise for Notre Dame. Even if Loyd did stay a Notre Dame, chances are they have a season very similar to this one. Minimal loses and a 5th runner up trophy in 6 years. Now that Loyd is gone, Notre Dame is still my pick to make the Final Four, and they are setting themselves up well for 2017. Look at their potential rotation next year:
C-Turner, So
F-Reimer, Jr
F-Mabrey, Fr
G-Allen, Jr
G-Mabrey, Sr
Bench:
Westbeld-So, F
Mabrey-Fr, G/F
Ogunbowale-Fr, G
Patberg-Fr, G

They'll have a full year to gel in the post Loyd era, and return all major contributors going into 2017 besides Michaela Mabrey, who was the 5th option this year. They also have 2 top 15 players coming on board in 2016-17, and are in the mix for Cox, Holmes, and McCoy. That will be their best shot to win a title when UCONN loses Jefferson, Stewart and possibly Morgan Tuck. Additionally, teams like Florida State, South Carolina, Oregon State and Baylor also lose major contributors. Her absence could put Notre Dame in a great spot to be the title favorite in 2016-17.

C-Butler
F-Tuck
F-KLS
G-Collier
G-Nurse

Or better!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Collier is in no way a guard. Think Swin Cash/Asjha Jones hybrid.

I don't see Nurse playing point either, but that's another topic.

Reaction Score
Either she or Diggins is the best ever ND player. They're the first tier.
Jewell is a better player than Skylar was in college in raw basketball talent. Skylar was the most successful.

Reaction Score

That's what I don't like about the college game. Fans think they own the players (at least in women's BB) then some of them don't support them when they move on to the WNBA.
You don't hear people whining about the "One And Dones" in men's CBB.

How about being big about it and thanking her for what she gave to ND/wishing her luck?

I also wonder what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot and Stewart was eligible to go for the draft and decided to leave early? It's really about the same thing on the UCONN side. UCONN doesn't win the title next year without her (and if Jewell had stayed).

Reaction Score
C-Turner, So
F-Reimer, Jr
F-Mabrey, Fr
G-Allen, Jr
G-Mabrey, Sr
Bench:
Westbeld-So, F
Mabrey-Fr, G/F
Ogunbowale-Fr, G
Patberg-Fr, G

C-Butler
F-Tuck
F-KLS
G-Collier
G-Nurse

ND will not make the Final Four next season.

Reaction Score
ND will not make the Final Four next season.

I don't know about that.

And secondly, in defense of the ND fan, if a player only plays 3 years while another gives you 4, and the players are close, why wouldn't some fans give it to the paly that played? Four is better than three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom