Jewel Loyd (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jewel Loyd (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Loyd and E.Williams
Sorry, I'm not sold on E. Williams. She came into college with a stellar reputation, on a par with KML, but I didn't see all that much development. She's good, but maybe a top 5 pick in my view. Plus, I'm not sure of her commitment to basketball relative to med school. If I'm a GM considering her, I have a heart-to-heart on her commitment.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm not sold on E. Williams. She came into college with a stellar reputation, on a par with KML, but I didn't see all that much development. She's good, but maybe a top 5 pick in my view. Plus, I'm not sure of her commitment to basketball relative to med school. If I'm a GM considering her, I have a heart-to-heart on her commitment.

Q. Elizabeth, first of all, what do you think you'll be able to bring to whichever team takes you in year one, and then just if you could talk about your aspirations to be a doctor after your career ends?
ELIZABETH WILLIAMS: I think one thing that I'll bring is just being a really strong athletic post and really good passing post. I think those are some big things for me. And seeing a lot of double teams in college, I had to really pass the ball well.
And as far as medical school, I mean, I obviously want to play basketball for as long as I can, and medical school is just something else that I really love. So I think it's cool that I have a chance to play and then when I'm finished playing that I can go to school.

http://www.wnba.com/news/2015_wnba_draft_media_call_tra_2015_04_10.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jewell struggled against UConn because she was the focus of the defense. Hell, she had Moriah Jefferson guarding her. Geno's philosophy is to make them take the shots we want, not the ones they want. Make Jewell shoot off the bounce when she is not squared up. She'll get better looks in the WNBA than against UConn, despite the higher level.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Q. Elizabeth, first of all, what do you think you'll be able to bring to whichever team takes you in year one, and then just if you could talk about your aspirations to be a doctor after your career ends?
ELIZABETH WILLIAMS:
I think one thing that I'll bring is just being a really strong athletic post and really good passing post. I think those are some big things for me. And seeing a lot of double teams in college, I had to really pass the ball well.
And as far as medical school, I mean, I obviously want to play basketball for as long as I can, and medical school is just something else that I really love. So I think it's cool that I have a chance to play and then when I'm finished playing that I can go to school.

http://www.wnba.com/news/2015_wnba_draft_media_call_tra_2015_04_10.html
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. I still take her at about #5 but feel confident that she'll be around 5-8 years or more and not bail for med school after 1-2 years.

I'd still rather see opinions from Rebecca and Kara. Coach Peck is so biased toward bigs, and LaChina is gaga over Jewell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If I were Seattle, I would take Loyd #1, Hamby #3 and be extremely happy. But my evaluations of those players are higher than most.

As long as Hamby or EW dont go #4... I'll be happy. Would love for EW/Hamby to go to Seattle at 3.. and Hamby/EW to Chicago at 5

Reaction Score
But is Zahui B better than Baugh or Paris? Now, at the WNBA level?
I think Zowie would be pretty good in the WNBA paint. She can rebound and finish up close. She wouldn't have to carry the team on her shoulders like she did Minn. this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As long as Hamby or EW dont go #4... I'll be happy. Would love for EW/Hamby to go to Seattle at 3.. and Hamby/EW to Chicago at 5

I think Gray is also in the frame for Chicago, but it's definitely Williams, Gray, or Hamby for Chicago, barring a trade.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Seattle have Rene M? Isn't she an all-star point? Don't follow WNBA that closely but seems like the Storm have their "next" guard already.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Doesn't Seattle have Rene M? Isn't she an all-star point? Don't follow WNBA that closely but seems like the Storm have their "next" guard already.
Renee is not as good as Loyd. Plus, Renee is more a PG and Loyd more a 2G. But yeah, lots of intrigue in this draft for sure!

Reaction Score
What if Seattle takes the young lady from Minnesota first. Tulsa has enough guard and might pass on Loyd. Then Seattle can grab Loyd at the #3. Yes, its a wild fantasy dream but it can happen. Then for our team the Sun if KML is not available at #4 then I would trade the pick. Stock pile picks for next year. The Sun can use a Stewie and a MoJeff.

Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/1...for-the-no-1-pick-jewell-loyd-wnba-draft-2015

I'm not sure its an easy pick. Amanda Zahui is an interesting prospect.

Also would Tulsa take Jewel with the 2nd pick since they have Skylar and Odyssey as their starting guards? Probably, but they could also consider Kaleena as a wing or any of the other players that have size.

It seems increasingly likely tha Seattle has seen the last of Lauren Jackson and even if she did come back after two years away she may never be the player that once was a dominant figure in the WNBA. This could be because of her injury/ies or simply due to age & mileage. I think Seattle will choose the big girl (Amanda Z) and then hope Tulsa chooses Jewel Loyd, thus allowing Seattle to get KML. I think those two will be much more productive than Z and Loyd,especially if KML follows in the footsteps of two previous Uconn players, (Dee & Maya) and gets herself a professional nutritionist/trainer. I believe KML could become one of the top player in all of basketball if she gets in really tiptop shape.

Reaction Score
What if Seattle takes the young lady from Minnesota first. Tulsa has enough guard and might pass on Loyd.

That would be interesting. Seattle would have to know Tulsa would not take Loyd. Tulsa could take Loyd and trade her (or someone else) or another team could trade up before the pick was made.

Reaction Score
Renee is not as good as Loyd. Plus, Renee is more a PG and Loyd more a 2G. But yeah, lots of intrigue in this draft for sure!

Not as good or not as athletic? Hard to believe someone with a couple years experience couldn't hold the position. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get perspective.

Reaction Score
Case closed, she will get her degree. She's only giving up a year of NCAA eligibility in exchange for a longer career as a professional athlete. Seems like a good decision to me. Too bad there is a stigma that female athletes shouldn't be allowed to pursue their dreams.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not as good or not as athletic? Hard to believe someone with a couple years experience couldn't hold the position. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get perspective.
No worries! it's just my opinion, but Renee was not a starter for the Sun, at least not for much of her career. Renee was the 4th overall pick, not the first like Loyd is likely to be.

I think it's had to compare the 2. I think Renee has better and more PG skills, but I think Loyd is more athletic and a better scorer and shooter. And I think ultimately because Loyd is more a 2 and Renee more a 1, they could easily coexist on the court together as a starting tandem... Just my opinion though!!

Reaction Score
No worries! it's just my opinion, but Renee was not a starter for the Sun, at least not for much of her career. Renee was the 4th overall pick, not the first like Loyd is likely to be.

I think it's had to compare the 2. I think Renee has better and more PG skills, but I think Loyd is more athletic and a better scorer and shooter. And I think ultimately because Loyd is more a 2 and Renee more a 1, they could easily coexist on the court together as a starting tandem... Just my opinion though!!

Not with Sue Bird on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog