Jewel Loyd (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Jewel Loyd (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's a thought. If Seattle takes Jewel with the first pick, they risk Zahui being taken with the second pick and then would probably choose KML with the third. Not a bad draft but do they need those two positions filled more than the big post that is Zahui. If they choose Zahui first they would still be assured of getting either Loyd or KML.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tulsa does not have the first pick do they?

Reaction Score
Seattle will be substantially improve their future with either Zahui or Loyd as first pick. Which one best meets their needs now?

Reaction Score
Seattle will be substantially improve their future with either Zahui or Loyd as first pick. Which one best meets their needs now?
Jewell is WNBA-ready. Zowie B. will take awhile to adjust.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just like Diggins was WNBA ready? Her first year was pretty awful. Her 2nd terrific. My point is I think it's pretty clear both players are fantastic and both will have an adjustment period in the WNBA...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eh ...
Jewel is moving up a huge step in competition too. When the competition became better in the NCAAs her numbers went down. She is a really good player, and an exciting one, but almost all college players have a pretty big adjustment curve.

Reaction Score
Lauren Jackson's career in the W.N.B.A. may be over. She's put a lot of miles on her ankles and knees. Although still young enough to be a factor, time has taken its toll. I couldn't tell you who played center for Seattle last year. Was it Hawkins out of Maryland? Whoever it was, with their record, they couldn't have been that impressive.

Reaction Score
Lauren Jackson's career in the W.N.B.A. may be over. She's put a lot of miles on her ankles and knees. Although still young enough to be a factor, time has taken its toll. I couldn't tell you who played center for Seattle last year. Was it Hawkins out of Maryland? Whoever it was, with their record, they couldn't have been that impressive.
Hawkins was on Washington. I think it was longhorn we used but I am not sure that was constant. I am just not that impressed with Amanda Zahui good player but taking her over KML and loyd seems crazy.) She is not 1st overall in talent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not a scout, but it look to me like Zahui's defense has a ways to go. When I saw her, it seemed like Minnesota was mostly playing zone so she could just stand by the basket and try to block shots. That also goosed her rebounding numbers since she was so close to the hoop.

If she cuts out the circus shots, I think Jewell can be effective right away on both ends. She needs to work on her strength and her passing, maybe, but other than that I think she has all the tools. She just needs to make sure her shot is right. It got a little flat this year. If she can shoot like she did as a sophomore, she'll be in great shape.

Reaction Score
Eh ...
Jewel is moving up a huge step in competition too. When the competition became better in the NCAAs her numbers went down. She is a really good player, and an exciting one, but almost all college players have a pretty big adjustment curve.
Her teammates will offset that. The opposing teams won't be able to double and triple team her like they did in college- much like EDD.

She was made to play in the WNBA. Skylar had to run the team but Jewell will be the scoring guard with Sue Bird getting her shot opportunities.

Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/1...for-the-no-1-pick-jewell-loyd-wnba-draft-2015

I'm not sure its an easy pick. Amanda Zahui is an interesting prospect.

Also would Tulsa take Jewel with the 2nd pick since they have Skylar and Odyssey as their starting guards? Probably, but they could also consider Kaleena as a wing or any of the other players that have size.
If Jewel doesn't get drafted by Seattle I believe Tulsa will trade their pick for better positioning and/or for next years draft. I don't think Tulsa gets Loyd if she is on the clock. Although she is very talented that gives them a VERY THIN back court and puts a lot of pressure on their bigs. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tulsa trade down for Elizabeth Williams or Gray if Loyd is still on the board.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Jewel doesn't get drafted by Seattle I believe Tulsa will trade their pick for better positioning and/or for next years draft. I don't think Tulsa gets Loyd if she is on the clock. Although she is very talented that gives them a VERY THIN back court and puts a lot of pressure on their bigs. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tulsa trade down for Elizabeth Williams or Gray if Loyd is still on the board.
I've been wondering about Tulsa. They have Diggins and Sims and then Cambridge, Baugh, Paris for the post. They don't really need Loyd or Zahui B. I guess talent is talent but are either gonna be better than what they have? Would they do better to trade down or for next year and just pick up depth this year?

Reaction Score
I've been wondering about Tulsa. They have Diggins and Sims and then Cambridge, Baugh, Paris for the post. They don't really need Loyd or Zahui B. I guess talent is talent but are either gonna be better than what they have? Would they do better to trade down or for next year and just pick up depth this year?

Just a hunch but I'm not so sure CT is done yet....a lot could be last minute at this draft.

Reaction Score
Is Jewell an WNBA shooting guard? Her game at ND was dependent on her being able to get into the lane and to drive along the baseline. How much of that is going to work on the next level? She's a great athlete and has been a collegiate star, but I'm not sure that she's the kind of player you build a team on. She disappeared against us when it mattered most for her team.
She won't be double-teamed anymore, but she won't be being guarded by players who can't keep up with her either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Jewell has the quickness and elevation to get her shot off. What she needs to do--like Angel--is to take only high quality shots. She can be a star, maybe a megastar in the WNBA. She's exciting in addition to being very good.

Frankly, I haven't seen AZB play, but based on what others say and her AA selections, I think she has to go very early. While Jewell is a helluva player and Kaleena may become the best shooter in the league, I think Seattle needs to take AZB first. Having the 1st and 3rd picks, here are 3 options for them:

AZB and Kaleena
AZB and Jewell
Jewell and Kaleena

While all of those options are really good, the 3rd option gives them no height. Unless they absolutely prefer Jewell or Kaleena, I think they take AZB first and then Jewell or Kaleena third.

Reaction Score
Cambage is out this year and I read that next year she'll probably skip again.

They need a really good post player.

Reaction Score
I think Jewell has the quickness and elevation to get her shot off. What she needs to do--like Angel--is to take only high quality shots. She can be a star, maybe a megastar in the WNBA. She's exciting in addition to being very good.

Frankly, I haven't seen AZB play, but based on what others say and her AA selections, I think she has to go very early. While Jewell is a helluva player and Kaleena may become the best shooter in the league, I think Seattle needs to take AZB first. Having the 1st and 3rd picks, here are 3 options for them:

AZB and Kaleena
AZB and Jewell
Jewell and Kaleena

While all of those options are really good, the 3rd option gives them no height. Unless they absolutely prefer Jewell or Kaleena, I think they take AZB first and then Jewell or Kaleena third.

Loyd and E.Williams

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If I were Seattle, I would take Loyd #1, Hamby #3 and be extremely happy. But my evaluations of those players are higher than most.

Reaction Score
Is Jewell an WNBA shooting guard? Her game at ND was dependent on her being able to get into the lane and to drive along the baseline. How much of that is going to work on the next level? She's a great athlete and has been a collegiate star, but I'm not sure that she's the kind of player you build a team on. She disappeared against us when it mattered most for her team.
She won't be double-teamed anymore, but she won't be being guarded by players who can't keep up with her either.

Noone else stepped up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cambage is out this year and I read that next year she'll probably skip again.

They need a really good post player.
But is Zahui B better than Baugh or Paris? Now, at the WNBA level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom