Jeff Jacobs: UConn AD Benedict Admits Changing Mind About Firing Bob Diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn AD Benedict Admits Changing Mind About Firing Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Must. Not. Make. Joke. About. Dead. Guy. Being. Better. Than. Diaco.

Weekend at Bobby's. Now Skiblets has me feeling a little bad for Diaco because I think he's 100% right.

His only shot was an OC who could save him - and Kill is so much better than every other option they could have had it's crazy.

That's the problem when you have a 3.4 million dollar buy out and no money - Bob had more leverage than he should have.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From Jacob's updated article:
"A source — not Benedict — said that former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was on campus a few weeks back, that Kill wanted the job and Diaco wasn't interested in Kill. Benedict would not comment on this.

Benedict worked at Minnesota when Kill was head coach. He is known as a builder and offensive mind. At 55, he also could have been a mentor. Kill resigned 14 months ago at Minnesota after a number of epileptic seizures, but he has said he has gotten them under control. Last week, he signed a three-year deal as the new Rutgers offensive coordinator."

Who could be a source in the AD (not named Benedict) with ties to Minnesota? Who could it be?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For people that don't follow the sport that closely. Kill was a very good head coach at Northern Illinois and Minnesota. His last season and a half with the Gophers it seemed every week right before kickoff he'd have a seizure. He did a great job at Minnesota even with dealing with epilepsy - if he didn't have that challenge he would have been at a huge school competing at the highest level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sorry Chin. The vino is flowing and I missed your indirect reference

But the area you and I are referencing is valid in any organization. You bring some people in for interviews and someone within the organization has a previous professional relationship with a candidate. Makes sense to get feedback from the interviewee outside the formal process. Maybe Kill was brought in to get a feel for Diaco.

Reaction Score
But the area you and I are referencing is valid in any organization. You bring some people in for interviews and someone within the organization has a previous professional relationship with a candidate. Makes sense to get feedback from the interviewee outside the formal process. Maybe Kill was brought in to get a feel for Diaco.
Interesting take. Another scenario I think Kill was interviewed and after the interview DB or BG called Diaco and asked what he thought. Answer was probably noncommittal 'better candidates out there' kind of thing. When pushed on who those better candidates might be I'm thinking the phone line went dead mysteriously.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting take. Another scenario I think Kill was interviewed and after the interview DB or BG called Diaco and asked what he thought. Answer was probably noncommittal 'better candidates out there' kind of thing. When pushed on who those better candidates might be I'm thinking the phone line went dead mysteriously.

You said it better than me. After the interview, DB asks BD how it went and what he though. Meanwhile BG reaches out to JK to get his perspective.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I suggest BD doesn't have the introspection to realize he was getting played by having to interview OC candidates.

He isn't the first employee to be given a task by his boss where the boss expects the employee to fail and use that failure as a justification to fire the employee.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Good thought - the source did say that Kill wanted the job though.

Reaction Score
You said it better than me. After the interview, DB asks BD how it went and what he though. Meanwhile BG reaches out to JK to get his perspective.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I suggest BD doesn't have the introspection to realize he was getting played by having to interview OC candidates.

He isn't the first employee to be given a task by his boss where the boss expects the employee to fail and use that failure as a justification to fire the employee.
Spot on. Even if Kill wanted the job there was more going on here. Quite Machiavellian. Well played Benedict.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
According to Flug, Killis feeling better and still wants to be a HC. I wouldn't count him out on this one if this is true. Program builder who fits the criteria.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
For people that don't follow the sport that closely. Kill was a very good head coach at Northern Illinois and Minnesota. His last season and a half with the Gophers it seemed every week right before kickoff he'd have a seizure. He did a great job at Minnesota even with dealing with epilepsy - if he didn't have that challenge he would have been at a huge school competing at the highest level.
Kill was meh as a head coach. Here's his record. 29-29 at Minnesota. That sums up Minnesota Football.
2011 Minnesota 3–9 2–6 6th (Legends)
2012 Minnesota 6–7 2–6 T–5th (Legends) L Texas
2013 Minnesota* 8–5 4–4 4th (Legends) L Texas
2014 Minnesota 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (West) L Citrus
2015 Minnesota 4–3 1–2 T–4th (West)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
According to Flug, Kill is feeling better and still wants to be a HC. I wouldn't count him out on this one if this is true. Program builder who fits the criteria.
He had kidney cancer and has epilepsy. People with epilepsy have better periods but it doesn't go away. The guy's had it rough but I don't think we can take a chance with someone with those type of health issues. This hiring is too important.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spot on. Even if Kill wanted the job there was more going on here. Quite Machiavellian. Well played Benedict.

Here's another way this could have played out. BG does the legwork to get JK interested. All BD has to do is conduct the interview and hire JK. He doesn't.

A classic case of a boss providing a subordinate with a solution to the employee's problem. Only the employee doesn't recognize they were given the solution. Boss comes back looking for every thing to be wrapped up and moving on to the next project only to find out the employee overthunked it and missed the gift-wrapped solution. Goodbye.

Reaction Score
According to Flug, Killis feeling better and still wants to be a HC. I wouldn't count him out on this one if this is true. Program builder who fits the criteria.

As I commented on in another thread - stranger things have happened but this was his comment last week on his hire @ Rutgers:

>>Will Kill finally bring stability? That remains to be seen, but he said that he isn't interested in pursuing another head coaching gig. "I've had my run, so to speak, and I just enjoy the fact that I get to be a ball coach again," Kill said. "I don't have to do all that other stuff."<<

What sucks apparently is UConn could have grabbed him first if Diaco was smart enough and they were going to pony up $600k for an OC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kill was meh as a head coach. Here's his record. 29-29 at Minnesota. That sums up Minnesota Football.
2011 Minnesota 3–9 2–6 6th (Legends)
2012 Minnesota 6–7 2–6 T–5th (Legends) L Texas
2013 Minnesota* 8–5 4–4 4th (Legends) L Texas
2014 Minnesota 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (West) L Citrus
2015 Minnesota 4–3 1–2 T–4th (West)

The 2014 team started 5-1 with a win over Michigan and the one loss to TCU. That's when Kill's health really turned south - you go 8-5 at Minnesota in back to back years while collapsing half the time on the sidelines? You are a pretty damn good coach.

Reaction Score
He had kidney cancer and has epilepsy. People with epilepsy have better periods but it doesn't go away. The guy's had it rough but I don't think we can take a chance with someone with those type of health issues. This hiring is too important.
Health issues aside, I don't quite understand the hype over JK. Admittedly, I don't know much about him, but based on a quick google search his experience really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom