Jeff Jacobs: UConn AD Benedict Admits Changing Mind About Firing Bob Diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn AD Benedict Admits Changing Mind About Firing Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't trust Kill as a HC but passing on him as a coordinator is ridiculous. Well played move by DB here. As this unfolds it becomes abundantly clear that Benedict handled this past month about as well as he could've.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't trust Kill as a HC but passing on him as a coordinator is ridiculous. Well played move by DB here. As this unfolds it becomes abundantly clear that Benedict handled this past month about as well as he could've.

DB is holding Jack high in his hand and he knowingly dealt BD a pair of pocket Aces. But he knows he just has to wait for BD to do, well, what BD does.

Reaction Score
Here's another way this could have played out. BG does the legwork to get JK interested. All BD has to do is conduct the interview and hire JK. He doesn't.

A classic case of a boss providing a subordinate with a solution to the employee's problem. Only the employee doesn't recognize they were given the solution. Boss comes back looking for every thing to be wrapped up and moving on to the next project only to find out the employee overthunked it and missed the gift-wrapped solution. Goodbye.
This times 1000. BD overthunk it with fish cakes and vampires and the like. Sometimes the best solution is the one right in front of you

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Health issues aside, I don't quite understand the hype over JK. Admittedly, I don't know much about him, but based on a quick google search his experience really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well as a head coach he has a better resume than any head coach in UConn's history. The job he was interviewing for was Offensive Coordinator. For a team that hadn't had a winning record since 2010. To work under a head coach who was 11-26.

Who in the world do you think you could hire that would be more qualified to be the offensive coordinator?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Well as a head coach he has a better resume than any head coach in UConn's history. The job he was interviewing for was Offensive Coordinator. For a team that hadn't had a winning record since 2010. To work under a head coach who was 11-26.

Who in the world do you think you could hire that would be more qualified to be the offensive coordinator?
Well, he's OC at Rutgers and when you lose games 78-0 (Michigan), 58-0 (Ohio State), and 49-0 (Michigan State), he might be looking for a change of scenery......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, he's OC at Rutgers and when you lose games 78-0 (Michigan), 58-0 (Ohio State), and 49-0 (Michigan State), he might be looking for a change of scenery.

He just got hired last week. He wasn't there for those games.

Reaction Score
Health issues aside, I don't quite understand the hype over JK. Admittedly, I don't know much about him, but based on a quick google search his experience really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm missing something?
He won and scored touchdowns wherever he went. A true offensive-minded head coach. If I am correct, he got NIU on the map.

Good riddance, Diaco. Go enjoy some farm in Iowa.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My bad. So he's a masochist?

He has a relationship with Beth Goetz. He was exactly what Diaco needed - great experience, great results and a stated desire to not be a head coach again.

It's almost impossible to draw a different conclusion than Diaco wanted to get fired when he passed on Kill.

The JoeD comment that he isn't getting 3.4 million seems to make that clear.

Reaction Score

Because it's not a video game. In real life, if you are going 8-5 at Minnesota you are doing a very good job.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Diaco passed on Jerry Kill as his new OC, then he deserves to be tarred and feathered. Just shows that he had no interest in bringing UConn football into the 21st century of scoring touchdowns and playing smart, competitive football. Good riddance.

Reaction Score
He has a relationship with Beth Goetz. He was exactly what Diaco needed - great experience, great results and a stated desire to not be a head coach again.

It's almost impossible to draw a different conclusion than Diaco wanted to get fired when he passed on Kill.

Spot on

Reaction Score

No issue whatsoever as an OC. I was more referring to him as a potential HC (which I think others are inferring as a possibility). I think there are more intriguing, realistic options being tossed out there, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
No issue whatsoever as an OC. I was more referring to him as a potential HC (which I think others are inferring as a possibility). I think there are more intriguing, realistic options being tossed out there, but that's just me.
He didn't want to be HC. Just OC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Taking him at his word he doesn't want to be a head coach and with his issues I don't see how anyone at the AAC/MWC level or higher could take that chance. Rutgers made a great hire. He's a great candidate to mentor a young HC while providing a high level at the coordination level.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for the health issues I'd take Jerry Kill in a heart beat. I thought as soon as I heard that he was fired that Diaco's resistance to changing things up was his undoing. I believe Bennedict when he said he wanted to keep him. The Navy game was his undoing but it also showed that hes a decent defensive coach. If he was willing to address his short comings then he'd probably still be here.

Reaction Score
Taking him at his word he doesn't want to be a head coach and with his issues I don't see how anyone at the AAC/MWC level or higher could take that chance. Rutgers made a great hire. He's a great candidate to mentor a young HC while providing a high level at the coordination level.
Kill would've been a perfect fit for BD on offense as it's pretty clear he'll never be a head coach again due to his health. Therefore, he'd have a solid option on the offensive side of the ball who knew his way around creating an offense while not having to constantly look over his shoulder to see if that OC was about to steal his HC seat. Kill would be in a much less physically taxing position so his health concerns would be less of a reason to pass him over. It wouldn't shock me if DB set up this interview with a thought in the back of his head that BD would turn him down and thus open the door for Benedict to push this as the final straw.

Reaction Score
Well, he's OC at Rutgers and when you lose games 78-0 (Michigan), 58-0 (Ohio State), and 49-0 (Michigan State), he might be looking for a change of scenery.

More like a challenge.

Reaction Score
I don't know how I missed the posts in this thread about Diaco passing on Kill. This dude hired Cummings and Verducci and told us Corley will be a star, and he passes on Kill???

Wonder if he was gonna come back with Corley as his preferred candidate?

Diaco must just realize he is in over his head and wants to hit the reset button on his career. His late season post game conferences sounded like that anyway.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My conclusion is different. I think Bob is a devoted Hayden Frey guy. He's going to do absolutely everything the way hevhinks it should be done. He does not want anyone in strong opinions on staff. He doesn't want anyone with contrary views on play calling or program building. Everything aboout Diaco just screams his level of certainty in what he is doing. He is blind to to truth of what he needed, a more experienced mentor to challenge his ideas.

Reaction Score
I missed the posts in this thread about Diaco passing on Kill.

My bad. When I overheard Benedict use the words Kill and Diaco in the same sentence it sounded much more ominous than merely hiring Jerry.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BD allowing Kill on the staff would have been stupid. He would basically allowed DB to fire him at any moment thereafter, or in 2018 regradless.

Unless you think there was some massive turnaround coming.

Most likely leverage to reduce the buyout. BD gets a nice check, a chance to find a new job and without the beating his reputation would have suffered next season. Make no doubt it would have been ugly.

Now the RU coach is feeling the heat. Just watch.

A healthy Kill would have been a good HC hire, but guys who appear less than reliable don't recruit well no matter how well you spin that it is under control.

With our luck, he'd win his first 5 games, fall ill and we'd lose the next 7.

Did an amazing job and Minny, but not the right hire for us.

DB has to do the work to find the next great coach. We don't have the depth of talent to suffer an average coach. Unless the OC and Auburn was the brains behind their operation, I'd be wary of him too as a sign that DB didn't do the work and just went with a guy he knows.

RE had the backing of a lot of guys in the coaching circles, NFL, college, and he was the right age, had the right background and at the right point in his career.

I'm as wary on another coordinator as the next guy, but we aren't getting a guy without flaws. I'm hoping the biggest flaw is notoriety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom