January Recruiting Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

To me it's obvious that Geno is referring to the incoming class of 2023, and therefore to Ashlynn and KK. "Next year" in his world means next season, and besides that, he knows that he can't talk about commitments until there is a signed Letter of Intent. In other interviews talking about NIL, he has mentioned that it was never an issue with Ashlynn, KK, Qadence, or Jana -- so I think he was just repeating that.

Trying to interpret this as referring to the incoming class of 2024 is really a reach, and requires us to assume that he would talk "out of turn" about commitments that (of necessity) are merely verbal if they exist at all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To me it's obvious that Geno is referring to the incoming class of 2023, and therefore to Ashlynn and KK. "Next year" in his world means next season, and besides that, he knows that he can't talk about commitments until there is a signed Letter of Intent. In other interviews talking about NIL, he has mentioned that it was never an issue with Ashlynn, KK, Qadence, or Jana -- so I think he was just repeating that.

Trying to interpret this as referring to the incoming class of 2024 is really a reach, and requires us to assume that he would talk "out of turn" about commitments that (of necessity) are merely verbal if they exist at all.
Agreed. I think Geno was talking about the players coming in next season. The poster on Twitter is just another fan.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I thought it was unclear for a while but the more I think about it the more I disagree with your take here.

Look closely at what he said.

First, he talked about having a 2/3 ranked "class, this year, coming up." Both the Patterson/Brady and Shade/Q/KK/Alfy classes are 2/3 at ESPN which means either qualifies. But that last phrase "coming up" makes it sound like a future class, not the current one. Why would he have said "coming up" for players already playing as freshmen (AP, injured Ice)?

Then his second comment: Not only does he use the phrase "next year" in this instance, he doesn't call it a class, instead referring to " two of the top five players." The '23 group is a 4-player class that UConn is done with. In '24 it's just one player that we know of (Ziebell). That leads me to believe he's talking about '24 players (Ziebell and another).

Again, recall that he sorta gave away AP's commitment a couple weeks early when he mentioned UConn having two players in the '22 class before AP had gone public. It's not that much different here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think it’s very clear he is referring to two different classes, I believe he says something to the effect of, we have one of the best cases for this year and two of the top five for next year. I don’t have time to find the clip right now, but I’m pretty sure that is what was said. This year’s class does not have two top five players anyway.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think Geno was talking about the players coming in next season. The poster on Twitter is just another fan.

He mentioned two separate groups though. One a class "coming up," one two of the top five commitments.

I didn't post it for the fan comment, but for Shane Laflin's. The question is did Laflin watch the video clip. He follows UConn pretty closely so it's possible.

Reaction Score
I thought it was unclear for a while but the more I think about it the more I disagree with your take here.

First, he talked about having a 2/3 ranked "class, this year, coming up." Both the Patterson/Brady and Shade/Q/KK/Alfy classes are 2/3 at ESPN which means either qualifies. But that last phrase "coming up" makes it sound like a future class, not the current one. Why would he have said "coming up" for players already playing as freshmen (AP, injured Ice)?

Then his second comment: Not only does he use the phrase "next year" in this instance, he doesn't call it a class, instead referring to " two of the top five players." The '23 group is a 4-player class that UConn is done with. In '24 it's just one player that we know of (Ziebell). That leads me to believe he's talking about '24 players (Ziebell and another).

Again, recall that he sorta gave away AP's commitment a couple weeks early when he mentioned UConn having two players in the '22 class before AP had gone public. It's not that much different here.

I agree with Slu on this one.

“We’ve got a Top 2/3 recruiting class this year coming up” (‘23?),

“We've got commitments from 2 of the top 5 players in the country for next year” (‘24?)

The only thing I can think of is if he meant “from last year” (Ice & Ayanna) as opposed to “for next year” (Allie and unknown). Otherwise, I do believe he’s referring to two different classes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn’t Shane Laflin telling us a commitment may be coming? Why else would Laflin retweet a tweet by some random UConn fan?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Absolutely correct. "This year" refers to the 2023 class he just signed in November. "Next year" is the '24 class. I have no idea how this can be confusing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Isn’t Shane Laflin telling us a commitment may be coming? Why else would Laflin retweet a tweet by some random UConn fan?

What am I missing here?

Not sure if he's assuming there will be one announced or knows there will be. He ends with a "wink" emoji.

I'd point out that Laflin is the only source for UConn having offered Strong. He certainly qualifies as an insider.

Reaction Score

The restriction is that he can't comment on recruits by name. He can comment generically as in "we are recruiting 2 posts and 2 guards who are in the top 20" with no problem. Just no names or school names. And "next year" is the 2024 class since "this year" is the 2023 class he just signed in Nov.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/20

'26 Bella Ragone: 21 points, 5 rebs

2026 6-1 W Bella Ragone – Mill Creek

The sky is the limit for the No. 1 ranked freshman in Georgia’s 2026 class. Coaches have raved about her do-everything ability and I mentioned back in June that she could immediately make Mill Creek relevant in her first year on campus.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Jana reposted a couple of goodbyes on her IG stories. I know the semester officially started this week, but it looks like there may be a possibility of her enrolling early to join the team. Maybe she was wrapping up her basketball commitments at home?

If it’s true, I’d be shocked if they wasted a year of eligibility and played her, but the practice time would be fantastic.

Reaction Score
Jana reposted a couple of goodbyes on her IG stories. I know the semester officially started this week, but it looks like there may be a possibility of her enrolling early to join the team. Maybe she was wrapping up her basketball commitments at home?

If it’s true, I’d be shocked if they wasted a year of eligibility and played her, but the practice time would be fantastic.

I know I have no say in the game, I’d rather her get the few months under her belt but not play

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I love this potential happening....practice court development and getting used to the UConn weight/nutrition/academic
program...getting to know her teammates off and on the court...a running/jumping headstart for November 2023...with a spot in the rotation available if she earns it. This will be a very good thing amidst our travails....albeit winning travails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom