Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Got it, then yes you are correct. There are some extraordinary cases of players redshirting after only playing a little bit for noninjury related reasons but it would be the exception.
It would have to be pretty extraordinary, such as a players parent being killed or something like that. Can you give an example of a case where this has actually happened?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One thing we have to consider when we play SC specifically is on our switching defense we have our guards ending up covering the center. The big east teams are trying to use this mismatch every game with an occasional success. Can you imagine Lou, Nika or Azzi having to cover Boston posting them up. Dorka and Aalyiyah do the the switch because of their defensive agility. When Amari comes in we play zone a lot because she is not as quick as our other forward/centers.
If healthy meaning adding back Azzi, Caroline and Ayanna we can match up with any of the teams in the country.
I do specifically remember a situation when Nika was caught on a switch guarding Boston in one of the SC games. She was like a bulldog on a buffalo, pushing, shoving and just generally being the relentless pest that we have all come to know and love. As I recall, the ball never got inside to Boston on that particular possession. :)

Reaction Score
It would have to be pretty extraordinary, such as a players parent being killed or something like that. Can you give an example of a case where this has actually happened?
I remember it happening in men’s basketball in 2013ish era with some freshman who only played a minute or two in the first game. I don’t remember the details but I do remember being flabbergast that I was allowed. They may have cited injury I don’t remember. I am agreeing with you just saying there are occasional exceptions but I don’t honk Jana. Would qualify for any of them.

Reaction Score
We may be closer to having 6 players only than we realize. Who knows. I think Uconn might well have encouraged this option. It is different for European players. They can even do college 2 years and go pro in Europe. Jana's mindset might be completely different than what some of us might imagine. We need bigs to compete against both Stanford and SC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Do you think that maybe Uconn initiated this? Given the current health situation. Azzi goes down and they really don't know if she's coming back this year. They don't know if Caroline can come back this year. It may be that this was initiated by the program. It seems like it happened after the semester started. My bet is Uconn initiated it.
I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere in this thread, and I'll mention it again. THE ONLY WAY Jana should be used THIS season is because of injuries to the rest of the roster that reduces it to 6 available players for a game. IF it comes down to activating her to dress 7 players so that UConn can play a game, the yes, play her. Keep in mind if that happens, she'll come in as raw as can be. She'll not know the plays, the system, her teammates, nothing. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid that hasn't even finished unpacking yet.

Otherwise, no!!! If it comes down to......"If she does not play, WE do not play, then of course you have to play her. I hope it does not come to that, but things are still unstable with this roster, and who knows what will happen tomorrow? Lately, Geno does not know until after pregame shoot around who is available to play. :confused:

Of course her coming in early will give her a BIG head start on the 2023-2024 season. She'll get to know her teammates, the coaches, the system and get comfortable in a new country with different living conditions, customs, and campus life. Not to mention living on her own away from home for the first time. THAT is a BIG adjustment right there. Mom won't be there to pick up her room or wash her clothes. :confused:

This is a win-win for her and UConn. The sooner she arrives on campus the better. :) Let the maturation begin. With the decimation of our roster, I have no expectations at this point going forward. I'll take what comes with no condemnation or second guessing. Win or lose, I just want to see a good game with no further injuries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere in this thread, and I'll mention it again. THE ONLY WAY Jana should be used THIS season is because of injuries to the rest of the roster that reduces it to 6 available players for a game. IF it comes down to activating her to dress 7 players so that UConn can play a game, the yes, play her.

Otherwise, no!!! If it comes down to......"If she does not play, WE do not play, then of course you have to play her. I hope it does not come to that, but things are still unstable with this roster, and who knows what will happen tomorrow? Lately, Geno does not know until after pregame shooound who is available to play. :confused:

Of course her coming in early will give her a BIG head start on the 2023-2024 season. She'll get to know her teammates, the coaches, the system and get comfortable in a new country with different living conditions and customs, and campus life. Not to mention living on her own away from home for the first time. This is a win-win for her and UConn. The sooner she arrives on campus the better. :) Let the maturation begin.
She can be dresssed to be play and eligible to play without playing and starting her 4 year eligibility clock

Reaction Score
I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere in this thread, and I'll mention it again. THE ONLY WAY Jana should be used THIS season is because of injuries to the rest of the roster that reduces it to 6 available players for a game. IF it comes down to activating her to dress 7 players so that UConn can play a game, the yes, play her. Keep in mind if that happens, she'll come in as raw as can be. She'll not know the plays, the system, her teammates, nothing. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid that hasn't even finished unpacking yet.

Note that they could dress her to meet the BE seven-player rule - but then not use her in the game to preserve a year of her eligibility. She only burns a year of eligibility when she actually checks into a game.

Reaction Score
Say Jana does play this season and loses a year of eligibility, can she still play an extra year as a grad student if she’s willing to do so?
Student athletes have 5 years to play 4 barring eligibility for a medical waiver which may be granted upon application for same if the student athlete essentially missed a year due to injury (not the exact wording but close enough for this discussion). Academic years have nothing to do with eligibility except the student athlete must be a registered full time student. Grad students can play if their eligibility hasn't expired. 6th year or greater student athletes may still be eligible if they haven't played 4 years. For example, the U of Miami just enrolled a transfer player going into his 8th year of eligibility who has already been granted his 9th year of eligibility as the result of multiple years of injury.

The Covid exception (1 additional year of eligibility) applies only to rostered student athletes in the 2020-21 academic year. The only student athletes on the UCONN roster eligible for the Covid exception are Aaliyah, Paige, Nika, and Aubrey. Aubrey should be able to apply for a medical waiver because she missed all of last due to injury. Paige should be able to apply for one if in fact she doen't play this year. Regardless of the fact that she was announced as being out for the year I'm still not convinced that when push comes to shove she doesn't play as the tournament approaches.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Chloe Kitts for South Carolina come in at the start of spring semester as well? She has played in games for the gamecocks as well, so she would also burn a year of eligibility .

Reaction Score
How old are Kitts and Prosper? If they will be old enough to jump to the WNBA by the end of their junior year (and if that is their intention), then enrolling early and getting 3.5 years of experience instead of 3 makes sense.

Reaction Score
How old are Kitts and Prosper? If they will be old enough to jump to the WNBA by the end of their junior year (and if that is their intention), then enrolling early and getting 3.5 years of experience instead of 3 makes sense.
They can also be eligible for the draft if they graduate

sun

Reaction Score
Filing for these NCAA hardship waivers may require legal experts to win a case.
Maybe Carol's concussions & all of the other team circumstances are a potential reason for Jana to get a waiver.

Reaction Score
Unless they both intend to get their degrees in 3 years to get a head start on a possible pro career. Especially with the gamecocks having a full bench prior to her arrival. There would be no need to apply for a waiver or even on granted, if they did.

Reaction Score
Fantastic !! This might compared with the shock wave created years back when her countrymen Mohamed SALAH to the world of soccer as this girl to the WB world, which we hoping for !!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Note that they could dress her to meet the BE seven-player rule - but then not use her in the game to preserve a year of her eligibility. She only burns a year of eligibility when she actually checks into a game.
That is correct!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who cares about other teams and what they are doing? This is about Jana and her coming early to UConn, if she decides to play she will, if she doesn't play then she doesn't. Maybe since she is done with her high school obligations she has decided to get a jump on her college life and get a head start on learning the UConn system.

Reaction Score
This is the best thread I've ever read on the boneyard.

Let me get my facts straight:

An Emmy Award winning HBO show got it's start from the Bone Yard.
A walk on at Notre Dame is really responsible for this thread ( I sense MM behind this)
Jana will be 6'7" by the start of her junior year.
Jana is going to post up against Brink and Boston in the same game.
She'll get a 5th year waiver, she won't get a waiver, she'll get a waiver, she won't get a waiver, tastes great, less filling, tastes great, less filling....
Every member of the Bone Yard is an expert on NCAA Rules and Regulations.

Will Rogers would be proud.

Reaction Score

That may be your opinion, but obviously not theirs since they are both using a full year of eligibility to play half a year. Your judgment of what makes sense or what doesn’t make sense does not change the NCAA rule.

Reaction Score

A walk on at Notre Dame is really responsible for this thread ( I sense MM behind this)
She'll get a 5th year waiver, she won't get a waiver, she'll get a waiver, she won't get a waiver, tastes great, less filling, tastes great, less filling....

Unfortunately some people who know absolutely nothing about the NCAA rules post as if they are experts. It confuses people and serves no good purpose.

Reaction Score

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been posted here before but here it is -

1674418050280.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
She can be dresssed to be play and eligible to play without playing and starting her 4 year eligibility clock
Correct. She just has to dress and be available on their "active" roster (bench) for UConn to have 7 scholarship players to begin a game. If she doesn't enter a game this season, the clock on her 4 years of eligibility does not start.

Reaction Score
Correct. She just has to dress and be available on their "active" roster (bench) for UConn to have 7 scholarship players to begin a game. If she doesn't enter a game this season, the clock on her 4 years of eligibility does not start.
Not sure why UConn would not want to postpone a game if they only had 6 players that Geno felt were ready to play. Puts more pressure on the starters and tires them out for future games.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She can be dressed to be play and eligible to play without playing and starting her 4 year eligibility clock

O.K. I hate to do this but I feel this needs to be cleared up a bit.

Referring to the NCAA rules again:

Eligibility Timeline​

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.
Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport.

Just for clarity I refer to the highlighted text. Assuming she is now enrolled, her 5 year window of eligibility has already started. If she plays at all she uses up one year of the four competition seasons allowed. If she doesn't play she does not use any of her 4 years of competition.
BUT, the 5 year calendar year clock has started (assuming at this point she is officially enrolled).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom