Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy Enrolling Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
well if that's truly the case then what's the downside to having her available on the bench...........she's 6'4" and skilled so give her some limited minutes if and when she's prepared for it....

Unfortunately that is not the case.

Reaction Score
Not to be a stickler but it is important to use terms appropriately to avoid confusion

Every NCAA Div 1 athlete get 5 years of eligibility to complete 4 years of competition.

Eligibility begins with the year an athlete first enrolls and runs for 5 continuous years.

A year of competition accrues when the athlete appears in a scheduled game in any competition year.

People are using "year of eligibility" as interchangeable with "year of competition" which undoubtedly leads to confusion.

The Covid rule simply means: 1)any athlete whose 5 year period of eligibility spans the 2020-21 year gets a sixth year of eligibility, and 2) the 2020-21 season does not accrue as a year of competition.

Unofficially players from the 2020-21 season get a fifth year of competition, but officially from the NCAA perspective they still only get four years of competition the NCAA just doesn't record the 2020-21 as a year of competition.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
that always was the case historically but as Geno said in a press conference after a recent game, he is not pushing the players nearly as hard as he used to in practice.......I believe he said he used to push them so hard that no other team could possibly keep up with them in a game..........apparently due to injury concerns practices are not nearly as strenuous......
Yeah I think that’s a temporary accommodation due to personal shortage rather than a change of philosophy

Reaction Score
I'm sure with UConn's current predicament (injuries) the NCAA would allow Jana to play this year without using up a year of eligibility through a waiver. UConn is literally a twisted ankle away from canceling/forfeiting a bunch of games. No one wants to see that, especially the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I would think it would be unlikely but with the multitude of pro-player rule changes coming from the NCAA who knows......I would have to assume this was a big discussion on McGraw's Bench when Prosper joined Notre Dame after the season had started .........I look forward to hearing what Dillon has to say about it......

Reaction Score
I'm sure with UConn's current predicament (injuries) the NCAA would allow Jana to play this year without using up a year of eligibility through a waiver. UConn is literally a twisted ankle away from canceling/forfeiting a bunch of games. No one wants to see that, especially the NCAA.
I wouldn't bet the ranch on that..........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
FYI, Liv lead all players on both teams with 10 rebounds vs Stanford. I’m not at all worried about Morrow and the Blue Demons. I’m concerned with Boston, Cardosa & Amihere at SC and Brink, Betts & Prechtel with Stanford.

On many of the national championships that UConn won, the Huskies have fielded a team with 1-2 present or future 1st team AA centers: Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Steph & Stewie. I just don’t see UConn winning another national championship without a true center to match up with the Bigs on top teams around the country.
One thing we have to consider when we play SC specifically is on our switching defense we have our guards ending up covering the center. The big east teams are trying to use this mismatch every game with an occasional success. Can you imagine Lou, Nika or Azzi having to cover Boston posting them up. Dorka and Aalyiyah do the the switch because of their defensive agility. When Amari comes in we play zone a lot because she is not as quick as our other forward/centers.
If healthy meaning adding back Azzi, Caroline and Ayanna we can match up with any of the teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that’s a temporary accommodation due to personal shortage rather than a change of philosophy
we'll find out next season..............hopefully.............:eek:

Reaction Score
I'm sure the NCAA could care less. It's not their problem. We got what we got. Not ideal, but I'm hopeful it's enough and wouldn't even dream of burning someone's eligibility.

Reaction Score

I assume you were just kidding. Anyway, the chances of that happening are 0.000%.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
People this is a Jana thread NOT A NOTRE DAME thread. If this keeps up this will become another locked thread because the actual topic is not being discussed anymore. Let's get back to our happiness that she is coming early to UConn. I also noticed that some are stating that Jana has finished high school. She was home schooled and passed all of the requirements but didn't go to a school.

Reaction Score
From the NCAA.org:

Eligibility Timeline​

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.

Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport. Division III student-athletes who practice or compete after the first date of competition in their sport use up one season in their sport.

Author add: Football has a different "season rule". You can play up to 4 games and can still count it as a red-shirt year.

Reaction Score
With Jana and Amari in the high post and Aaliyah Ice and Ayanna (and occasionally Q) in the low post, I think we'll be fine next year. Jana prefers a face up game, and like Amari she's got really long arms, good for making opposition passing along the perimeter difficult. We are a switching team on D, it's our identity and Geno isn't troubled by the occasional mismatches this produces. Communication should fix it in March. And if it doesn't in every case, I can still remember a couple of switches against Indiana that had Nika guarding Holmes in the low post -- Teri Moran undoubtedly designed a play to achieve this, but Nika was game for the shoving match. Watch the tape, it's more peak Nika.

And on offense, that same high-low setup will serve Jana and us very well. This is what she's been doing in high school, so she's in the habit of looking for parring lanes from there, and driving to the rim. She has a nice fall away and a jump hook if she has to post up down low.

Reaction Score
About Jana I think everyone on the board should curb there enthusiasm a bit.Before the season started many people thought Ayanna would dunk multiple times in games.How did that work out.Bigs take longer to develop.Don’t know if she will get meaningful minutes next year.Paige,Azzi,Nika,Edwards and if she returns Aubrey is my starting lineup next year.Caroline,Patterson,and Ice are next in the rotation.Don’t see many minutes for Shade,KK or Samuels.

Reaction Score
If you are saying that if she’s on the bench but doesn’t play she won’t have four years of eligibility left you would be wrong. If you are saying she would have her four years of eligibility left you would be right.

Reaction Score
If you are saying that if she’s on the bench but doesn’t play she won’t have four years of eligibility left you would be wrong. If you are saying she would have her four years of eligibility left you would be right.
Unfortunately the post I was responding to was truncated. It said if that’s the case that she can play and still retain four years of eligibility of eligibility, then why not let her play. Hence my response, I.e. that if she even plays a minute, she will have used up one of her years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the post I was responding to was truncated. It said if that’s the case that she can play and still retain four years of eligibility of eligibility, then why not let her play. Hence my response, I.e. that if she even plays a minute, she will have used up one of her years of eligibility.
Got it, then yes you are correct. There are some extraordinary cases of players redshirting after only playing a little bit for noninjury related reasons but it would be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom