Jalen/Rodney | The Boneyard

Jalen/Rodney

Reaction Score
During one of the time outs, in the team huddle, Jalen and Rodney we jawing back and forth at each other, and it didn't look like they were saying 'nice game', and while this exhibition of vocalization was going on, KO was kind of standing back and let them go at it, sure would be nice to know what those two were concerned about, anyone have a knowledge of what was said?

Reaction Score
Stat I would like to see is; who leads the team (or conference for that matter) in committing turnovers and then committing a foul immediately after that. I've seen it too many times from Jalen. I think he's extremely talented, more mature than last year. But he needs to grow up more. Gonna make mistakes. Just don't make them in a row...He also looked a little slower after that last play of the first half. Even the ref looked him in the eyes after he hit the floor after making that shot and he asked him if he was ok. My wife and I were watching and we thought he looked less crisp in his moves after that. Hope he's ok. We are rooting for him.

Reaction Score
Jalen was upset at what he thought was a blown defensive assignment during the prior play. Jalen didn't step up to the guard handling the ball, thought purvis was taking him. Gave Memphis a free lane to the basket. Jalen has immense talent but as someone on another post stated, he's in an early-career Bazz mode, struggling to fully understand how his team should be led. It's the kind of growing pains where he gets upset at his teammates during plays that aren't going the way they're suppose to. He'll learn how to best lead his team, just part of the process.

Reaction Score
yeah certainly nothing concerning. if anything its good these kids still care about this season. jalen is learning to be a leader. lets hope next year is his year.......

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think they were confused about defensive coverage and how that Memphis guy just walked untouched to the basket - one of them blew the assignment
My son and I said at the same time - "memories of Bazz and Boat, great Karma!"

Reaction Score
Jalen was upset at what he thought was a blown defensive assignment during the prior play. Jalen didn't step up to the guard handling the ball, thought purvis was taking him. Gave Memphis a free lane to the basket. Jalen has immense talent but as someone on another post stated, he's in an early-career Bazz mode, struggling to fully understand how his team should be led. It's the kind of growing pains where he gets upset at his teammates during plays that aren't going the way they're suppose to. He'll learn how to best lead his team, just part of the process.

First one to say it, Rodney was not ten toes in on defense last night. Sorry just watch the replay.

In one play on the wing closest to the TV he stood flat footed guarding his guy who was looking to throw it in to Lawson. The Memphis guard was looking to throw a bounce pass to the low block and as he dropped his head and hands down Rodney stayed up and flat footed. Now anyone who played the game knows if your guy is looking to throw this pass inside your arms, hands and legs are all active trying to make a play. He did nothing was limp, let him throw a pass right by him to Lawson for an easy jump hook as he had Brimah on his hip with the advantage. That's a play Rodney is normally aggressive on but wasn't willing to do anything extra on. It was very disappointing and until they made their run to knock it down to 9 with about 3 left, he didn't show too much urgency on that end. Suddenly he was in the crouch ready to play? Scary but I think he need stop score to give 100% and that's just not a good trait.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Jalen will be the vocal leader going forward, no doubt.

I also noticed a few games back Jalen was yelling at Vital (visibly) for probably a defensive issue. I can't remember exactly which game....

Reaction Score
First one to say it, Rodney was not ten toes in on defense last night. Sorry just watch the replay.

In one play on the wing closest to the TV he stood flat footed guarding his guy who was looking to throw it in to Lawson. The Memphis guard was looking to throw a bounce pass to the low block and as he dropped his head and hands down Rodney stayed up and flat footed. Now anyone who played the game knows if your guy is looking to throw this pass inside your arms, hands and legs are all active trying to make a play. He did nothing was limp, let him throw a pass right by him to Lawson for an easy jump hook as he had Brimah on his hip with the advantage. That's a play Rodney is normally aggressive on but wasn't willing to do anything extra on. It was very disappointing and until they made their run to knock it down to 9 with about 3 left, he didn't show too much urgency on that end. Suddenly he was in the crouch ready to play? Scary but I think he need stop score to give 100% and that's just not a good trait.

Nailed it. I saw the same thing. Defensive intensity on the perimeter was way too relaxed. KO called out the guards in the post game too. Crawford made some great plays against us last night, but staying in front of him should not have been a problem. Defense starts with the guards.

Reaction Score
Jalen will be the vocal leader going forward, no doubt.

I also noticed a few games back Jalen was yelling at Vital (visibly) for probably a defensive issue. I can't remember exactly which game....

But he needs to learn how to communicate. He has that "wtf are you doing " look with his hands out rather than the hand on the shoulder talking in his ear as to what he did wrong and what he needs to do next time. Grow up time for Jalen, fully capable I do believe.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Jalen is learning how to lead. He is not doing a good job right now, similar to Bazz in 2012, but I would rather him work out those kinks now in this lost season than next year. He needs to come back like junior-year Bazz. We need Alterique to be sophomore-year Boat. And we need Larrier to come back as junior/senior-year DeAndre.

Reaction Score
Stat I would like to see is; who leads the team (or conference for that matter) in committing turnovers and then committing a foul immediately after that. I've seen it too many times from Jalen. I think he's extremely talented, more mature than last year. But he needs to grow up more. Gonna make mistakes. Just don't make them in a row...He also looked a little slower after that last play of the first half. Even the ref looked him in the eyes after he hit the floor after making that shot and he asked him if he was ok. My wife and I were watching and we thought he looked less crisp in his moves after that. Hope he's ok. We are rooting for him.

I thought the ref was getting on him for cursing.

Reaction Score

We all played sports and have had those contested moments, then we are 'boys' again when we put our clothes back on:

1200x675

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My personal favorite was in the middle of the 2nd half, down 13 or so, when Facey had the ball at midcourt and had picked up his dribble.

He was pivoting, looking for an outlet. Any outlet. Anyone.

Rodney had been open in the corner with his arms up, but two defenders in between, so Facey didn't wanna throw it over them. Instead of coming over to take the ball, Rodney simply ran the sideline back towards midcourt. Obvious turnover was obvious.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
During one of the time outs, in the team huddle, Jalen and Rodney we jawing back and forth at each other, and it didn't look like they were saying 'nice game', and while this exhibition of vocalization was going on, KO was kind of standing back and let them go at it, sure would be nice to know what those two were concerned about, anyone have a knowledge of what was said?
Seemed as if Ollie let them work it out. Seemed as if he agreed with Adams. Adams is the floor general and leader. He's been trying to get people in their places and every game and is probably fed up oth purvis

C

chiller99.5

Shabazz and Boat butted heads in some big games ,let them play it out. Adams has some good tendencies while playing out of position.Not comparing the back courts more stating KO knows when to step in or let it play itself out.

Reaction Score
But he needs to learn how to communicate. He has that "wtf are you doing " look with his hands out rather than the hand on the shoulder talking in his ear as to what he did wrong and what he needs to do next time. Grow up time for Jalen, fully capable I do believe.

Yup. He's still developing into a leader for sure.

Granted, by midseason, I might be beyond frustrated with Purvis' (A senior's) crap on defense too. My favorite thing he does is switch without telling his teammate, which leads to a wide open shot..probably four or five times a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom