Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident

Reaction Score
Who has equated those things?

No one, that's just a gigantic strawman that's been built up over twelve pages. No one thinks he deserves the death penalty for what he did, but for the ostensible leader of a team coming off a losing season and an offseason like we had to be potentially suspended for the first game of the season when we the bed in the first few games last year just isn't a good look. When you're winning basketball games, no one cares about this stuff. When last season sucked, you got hit with a ton of transfers, the AD is having offseason meetings with players and the coach is potentially on the hot seat this kind of stuff gets magnified and is no bueno

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don’t believe you have to post a surety bond for “just a traffic ticket” e.g. failure to stop @ a traffic signal. Traffic tickets you mail in your plea/just pay the fine. This requires a court appearance
FYI... In college I got drunk and ran over the top of a bunch of cars (like they do in the movies in busy cities during chase scenes).

I got arrested, (criminal mischief in the 3rd degree and tampering with a motor vehicle). I went to court in Rocky Hill, pleaded "no contest", made restitution, did community service, and it ended up never being part of my permanent record. I forgot what the terminology for it is. It was my first (and only) offense.

Not sure of the difference between his charges and mine, but his seems far less serious and seems pretty minor. I agree, dumb, and it remains to be see what Ollie thinks tho.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you have to post a surety bond for “just a traffic ticket” e.g. failure to stop @ a traffic signal. Traffic tickets you mail in your plea/just pay the fine. This requires a court appearance

Yep. A summons isnt just used for motor vehicle charges either. I’ve seen them for domestic violence, larceny, possession and more.

Reaction Score
What's confusing here? You keep asking this why? You don't have google? Whether it's allowed in Mass is irrelevant. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0189.pdf

EVADING RESPONSIBILITY

A motor vehicle operator who is knowingly involved in an accident must stop and render assistance as may be needed and give his or her name, address, and operator's license and registration number to any injured person, officer, witness of the accident, or owner of damaged property.

Yes, everyone knows that rule.

In this case, it was him and a friend. This isn't an example of him running away from someone he didn't know.

If the friend had no problem with him, he complied.

I'm glad to see you posted that, because the law in Conn. seems to be the same as the law here where I leave. You can leave the scene of an accident if the person you hit is a friend (obviously, you don't need an operator's license nor a reg. # for a vehicle that doesn't need to be licensed). This is like running into a friend with your bicycle and then you both go home. (I don't know how much debris was left in the road, but I do know that's not what he was charged with).

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn't say it was okay to do it in the summer. In fact I said it was still a stupid thing to do.

Leaving your kid in the car is a stupid thing to do. Leaving your kid in the car in 100 degree heat is an astonishingly stupid thing to do.
The use of the word is simply a way to differentiate the behavior due to the timing (or temperature). Am I surprised he was racing a scooter? No. Am I greatly surprised that he was doing it the night before the season starts? Astonishingly so.

He didn't use the word "leader" once in his post. Why would you use it 4 times to create a strawman?

It's not his leadership at issue. It's his judgment.

Considering you've created one straw man, and misrepresented my position, it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
Captain Snark can take care of himself. Since you've decided to argue for the sake of arguing I was replying to his prior post.

"Without trying to sound like an old man yelling at a cloud, the lack of judgment here is pretty astounding. A lot of lip service being paid to the chip on their collective shoulder and the purported leader of the team can't even be eligible for the first game of the season. Bodes well."

I get his point. I get your point. It's a judgement issue. It's been a judgement issue for some time if he's been racing scooters for a while as posters claim. It sucks for him and everyone he's impacted including fans. I'm just not astonished by his behavior. If he didn't get into an accident I would have never known he was doing this type of thing. I'm astonished that a lawyer with Big's credentials is astonished by human behavior. I'm astonished that a kid who has been doing this for some time has an accident the day before opening season. The timing is astonishing, not stupid judgement imho.

Reaction Score
The Coach is a defacto parent. Whatever decision Ollie makes will be in Jalen's best interest, and not the fans. This here fan is willing to lose a game to redirect and refocus Jalen. It was a minor incident but could have been much worse. He's been given the best reprieve he could have, by not getting injured or injuring someone else. Its up to Ollie to get him to realize and understand that.

In this specific matter I support the Coach more than Jalen.
Good lord if we can’t beat Colgate with or without Adams we really need to consider whether it even makes sense to have a basketball team! I mean really. It’s Colgate not Duke or UNC. We should win handily and Adams should learn a lesson at the same time.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Heck, there's a 70 year old in the W House grabbing pu@*ies .....not gonna worked up about a college kid crashing a moped and taking off. He made a mistake, will pay whatever fine is assessed, learn a life lesson and move on.
Nah, Bill's been out of the White House for quite a while now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
YES, everyone understands this and has said that a few times! We all understand that he isn't some kid from Pedunk Idaho, so why bother repeatedly making this point?

Many of us are disappointed in the fact that after last season, and the way it all fell apart so quickly, a night before the start of the season he can't just be home playing video games or watching movies. That's what is disappointing
Of course. Honest statement. I can support this and not the dance that I've observed from people making Jalen out to be some pariah because he impacted us negatively.

Of course it sucks. I'm just as disappointed as you are.

He did it because in his mind he never had a negative consequence from that activity. We can all say racing on a busy street is dangerous. But so is speeding on a road when the weather is bad. What are the odds most of us in this thread have done that? And yet here we are acting as if only this kid has done something astonishingly stupid and needs to pay for it. I'm of the opinion that stupid is the norm.

Reaction Score
He’s not playing. My friend packed jerseys to take to gampel tonight and was told not to pack Jalens. Also posted that he’d be in Boston tonight on his second Snapchat.

If I’m wrong I’ll eat crow.

Reaction Score
He’s not playing. My friend packed jerseys to take to gampel tonight and was told not to pack Jalens. Also posted that he’d be in Boston tonight on his second Snapchat.

If I’m wrong I’ll eat crow.
why the heck would he leave campus? that doesn't send a very good message

Reaction Score
Yikes. This is turning to be a bigger issue than I anticipated if he is truly going to Boston.

Reaction Score
No idea. Really hope he’s on the bench/behind the bench watching the team. But perhaps Ollie thinks it could be a distraction and told him not to attend.

Also the possibility that he’s going to Boston after the game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

This wouldn't be the first time he hasn't reacted well to being on the receiving end of Ollie's discipline.

Reaction Score
Yes, everyone knows that rule.

In this case, it was him and a friend. This isn't an example of him running away from someone he didn't know.

If the friend had no problem with him, he complied.

I'm glad to see you posted that, because the law in Conn. seems to be the same as the law here where I leave. You can leave the scene of an accident if the person you hit is a friend (obviously, you don't need an operator's license nor a reg. # for a vehicle that doesn't need to be licensed). This is like running into a friend with your bicycle and then you both go home. (I don't know how much debris was left in the road, but I do know that's not what he was charged with).

How do you know that’s not part of what he’s charged with?

Obviously this isn’t like running into your friend with a bicycle and going home because that’s not a misdemeanor. Unless it’s intentional.

Maybe the court sees it your way and throws it out but that would be very surprising.

Edit. It seems you’re under the impression that someone or something needs to be damaged. I’m not certain that’s the case. It sounds like he didn’t bother to see if anyone or anything else was injured but clearly i wasn’t there.

I think the fact he left the scooter in the middle of the road is what led to the charge. he dumped the scooter, created a dangerous situation, and then left. Sounds like evading responsibility to me.

Last edited:

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Def not on the court here at all. Not even in street clothes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom