Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Jalen Arrested for Scooter Accident

Reaction Score
You're the one one getting testy.

Jeez. Calm down. You're also the one speculating about all sorts of things (injuries to others).

The kid left with the friend he ran into.
You're asking ridiculous questions with a tone as if he did nothing wrong. He was arrested based on reports from multiple witnesses, if you can't figure out what he did wrong, fill out a request for the police report.

I didn't speculate about any injuries. I simply tried to explain why leaving immediately would still be evading responsibility whether or not he, or his friend, was injured.

You don't understand how a "large field of debris" in the road could have potentially injured someone? I'm not saying it did, I'm saying the law requires you to stay long enough to make sure no person or other property is injured. He obviously didn't do that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're asking ridiculous questions with a tone as if he did nothing wrong. He was arrested based on reports from multiple witnesses, if you can't figure out what he did wrong, fill out a request for the police report.

I didn't speculate about any injuries. I simply tried to explain why leaving immediately would still be evading responsibility whether or not he, or his friend, was injured.

You don't understand how a "large field of debris" in the road could have potentially injured someone? I'm not saying it did, I'm saying the law requires you to stay long enough to make sure no person or other property is injured. He obviously didn't do that.

So if I bump my car into my wife’s car, in the street in front of my house, we need to call the cops and stay there? This is really none of the government’s business in my opinion. I see debris in the road all the time. Jalen has paid his dues already here

Reaction Score
So if I bump my car into my wife’s car, in the street in front of my house, we need to call the cops and stay there? This is really none of the government’s business in my opinion. I see debris in the road all the time. Jalen has paid his dues already here
If you crash into your wife’s car, leave your car in the street and jump in your wife’s car and drive off, it is definitely the governments business. That would be the equivalent here. If he just picked up the scooter and walked it away, there would have been no story.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's confusing here? You keep asking this why? You don't have google? Whether it's allowed in Mass is irrelevant. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0189.pdf

EVADING RESPONSIBILITY

A motor vehicle operator who is knowingly involved in an accident must stop and render assistance as may be needed and give his or her name, address, and operator's license and registration number to any injured person, officer, witness of the accident, or owner of damaged property.
So who needed assistance? Didn't the other vehicle owner know his name? Was anyone injured? Did any witness ask for his name?

Really if they were on bikes, the bulk of the issue would be that he was dumb to put himself or teammates at risk, especially right before the season. Let's not make the kid out to be Dillenger. He had an error in judgement and sat out a game.

Moving on...

Reaction Score
15 pages?!? I saw this thread the day it started, read the tweet then never checked again, just noticed it is currently on page 15 lmao.

What is there to talk about? He's a college kid, all college kids party, all college kids are scared to death of the cops and if in a minor incident where they have a chance to leave the scene and act like it didn't happen without repercussion they take it, just like I would do the same, and almost all of you would too. Jalen's only mistake was that he is simply too noticeable and high profile of a figure at Storrs for him to slip away from something we have all experienced a handful of times over the years.

No, it's not the end of the world, JA will be alright, the team will be alright, Ollie does NOT need to ban scooters they aren't "racing" them in an underground scooter racing circuit like JimOllie suggests, the issue has been settled we are gonna move on to game #2. End of story.

/thread.

I got a good laugh out of this.

I personally will not be comfortable until Chief is transporting the players from point to point on campus. He exists for a reason and it'd be silly not to use it to our advantage.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don’t believe you have to post a surety bond for “just a traffic ticket” e.g. failure to stop @ a traffic signal. Traffic tickets you mail in your plea/just pay the fine. This requires a court appearance

Your reference clearly states some offenses require an appearance, some don't. He's not in jail and they aren't going to put him in jail. It's still a traffic violation. It's likely a B or C misdemeanor. If he has no prior record, he'll either pay a fine and be done with it if he wants to plead guilty, or he'll agree to some type of probation/community service in exchange for a possible deferred adjudication and eventual dismissal.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Driving is a Privilege, Not a Right
Driving is not a constitutional right. You get your drivers license based on the skills you have and the rules you agree to follow. After you get your driving license you must continue to demonstrate your ability to drive safely on the road. If you fail to demonstrate this ability, you will be issued traffic tickets, or even have your license suspended or revoked. No one has more right to the road than anyone else. If you're going to drive, you owe it to the other roadway users and yourself to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you crash into your wife’s car, leave your car in the street and jump in your wife’s car and drive off, it is definitely the governments business. That would be the equivalent here. If he just picked up the scooter and walked it away, there would have been no story.

I thought (from the report I saw), that he did move the scooter from the road, but not all the "debris" from the crash. I never saw any report say he just left the scooter in the road. They say he left it "at the scene", which isn't the same thing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And we complain about the NCAA targeting minor infractions and letting big stuff go.

Kid's behavior was wrong. He was/is being punished for it. It was fortunate he and no one else has been hurt physically from his actions. Hopefully he learns from it. Hopefully his teammates and other students learn from it. If not than the consequences may be more severe next time.

I swear some of you must work for the NCAA or are positioning for a job there.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I now understand why people love the "amateurism" in college sports, so we can have threads like this about an incident if it happened in the NBA that no one would talk about.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I now understand why people love the "amateurism" in college sports, so we can have threads like this about an incident if it happened in the NBA that no one would talk about.
If it happened in the NBA Jalen would be shooting Vespa ads right now.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If it happened in the NBA Jalen would be shooting Vespa ads right now.

But he can't because he is a student....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One game is plenty. Maybe one game and he doesn't start Tuesday.

Reaction Score
So who needed assistance? Didn't the other vehicle owner know his name? Was anyone injured? Did any witness ask for his name?

Really if they were on bikes, the bulk of the issue would be that he was dumb to put himself or teammates at risk, especially right before the season. Let's not make the kid out to be Dillenger. He had an error in judgement and sat out a game.

Moving on...
I think you're missing the point of my posts. I'm not making it out to be more than it is. I said early on I thought a one game suspension was fair.

Upstater can't seem to grasp the fact that he actually did something wrong. Even illegal.

All of your questions can't be answered because we don't know. But obviously the cops thought it was worth taking 4(?) witness statements and tracking him down and arresting him.

I made the mistake of trying to rationalize with someone who I know won't accept the most logical answer if he disagrees with it. He even asked what the law is in Massachusetts. Totally irrelevant unless you're interested in making excuses for the kid. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Again, it's over, one game and we can move on. I appreciate him being available to the press afterwords, I think he handled that well, and we can chalk it up as a learning experience.

Reaction Score
LOL, that's a terrible analogy and a weak straw man. To answer your question, no, you wouldn't. But that isn't remotely close to what happened.

For the 3rd or 4th time (and since the beginning) one game was fair.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I got a good laugh out of this.

I personally will not be comfortable until Chief is transporting the players from point to point on campus. He exists for a reason and it'd be silly not to use it to our advantage.
LOL - I actually started to delude myself into thinking my pep talk worked after-all.

Reaction Score
Triple-double would be nice to start the journey.....you.....can.....do it!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom