Jacobs to the rescue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs to the rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not clear to me if he intends to talk to Connecticut people. Has Malloy put any pressure on ESPN or at least talked to them? Has President Herbst talked up UConn to any Presidents since her public lobbying back in 2011? We only accidentally found out about the Kansas State President. Is her calendar public or subject to FOI laws? What were Herbst and Manuel doing in the Virgin Islands? Did they miscalculate? Could they have done some personal lobbying if they were on the mainland? What did Scott Gray hear and from who? He has said that we are going to the to Big 10. Maybe he knows something.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing.

Also, the call to action is now? Should have been during the ACC/Louisville decision years ago.

This is my thing as well. What we saw then was jack wagons like Tony Terzi reveling in the fact that "UConn is screwed".

In two weeks we will have a better idea of what the Big 12 is doing if anything. They may decide to go to two divisions with 10 teams. In any event i doubt Jacobs will have much positive effect on this.

Reaction Score
Jacobs needs to work on his peers to take a 180 on the stance they have held on UCONN since CR started. It's that age old theory...if enough people say something sucks...people will look at the name and say "oh yeah that sucks". I know I constantly bring up his name but guys like Pete Thamel who used/continues to use his position as a national sports writer to spread his hatred of UCONN (born from his time as a student at Syracuse) have made this perception that UCONN doesn't belong in the P-5. He can email politicians, University Presidents, Conference Commissioners all he wants. He will just be that nagging reporter from CT who is late to the dance. Going after his peers which he should do out of the public eye and calling them on their in his columns and on twitter when they give him reason to...that's where he should be beating down the doors. Frankly he should have gone after guys like Thamel when they first started their crusade...but I guess he was enjoying things a bit watching his adversary Jim Calhoun get twisted about this.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Jacobs has been a columnist, not a reporter, for years now. Good luck trying to chase down answers to questions nobody bothered to ask 3 years ago. The media owes him no answers, and the college administrators do not answer to anyone but their own alumni (if that).

Reaction Score
I've seen 2 jacobs articles in a matter of weeks that are very good. Seeing one, anytime, is like seeing a bald eagle in the wild. I've remarked the same elsewhere. Now 2?!! Strange things afoot at the circle K.

Do not under estimate the power of Jacobs. A man who can elicit just a two line response from Carl can get UConn into a P5 conference before finishing his morning coffee.

Reaction Score
The solution is not to fight our way in unless politicians do it behind closed doors with network execs and conference commissioners. Public pleading will look pathetic.

This is a battle to be fought in social media and local media with facts and data. We can't be having all these fans of lesser athletic departments say that, "any program worth adding has been added" when UConn dwarfs them in athletics. Lack of information is killing us.

Inform the masses of the facts and eventually the national media will catch on.

Reaction Score
The solution is not to fight our way in unless politicians do it behind closed doors with network execs and conference commissioners. Public pleading will look pathetic.

This is a battle to be fought in social media and local media with facts and data. We can't be having all these fans of lesser athletic departments say that, "any program worth adding has been added" when UConn dwarfs them in athletics. Lack of information is killing us.

Inform the masses of the facts and eventually the national media will catch on.
A good job for Jacobs to under take...

pj

Reaction Score
I'm really tired of the "negative nellies" on this board. I, for one, felt it was about time Jacobs, someone, anyone wrote this message and took on the charge. How did any of you ever become successful in your profession by folding your hands and retreating when things got tough. Whatever Jacobs motives are who gives a * as long as he's helping us get into a power 5 conference. I think more "fans" from this board should be emailing university presidents, sending letters, pushing our Congressmen, Governor and Senators ( yes even Blumenthal. Give him a chance to redeem himself by calling in favors) taking out billboard, newspapers, advertisements in Ohio and Michigan pronouncing that UConn is and deserves to be recognized as a B1G school. We should flood the tv and radio with advertisements proclaiming our P5 worthiness. Change the public perception cuz that's all it is, perception, not reality. The longer CT allows this perception to persist the more entrenched it becomes. It's really time to believe in yourself, your university and your state!!! Take charge of our predicament and change it!!! If your not ready to take an active role in changing the message, get out of the way of the train because it's rolling and will run you over!!

I've lived in CT most of my life and I've consistently seen this negative message over and over again about all kinds of initiatives in this state. And when they've proven to be successful everybody starts jumping in. We are our own worst enemy. If we can not demonstrate that we believe in ourself why the h**l would anyone else believe in us. Come on stop it!!! It's time...

I don't know about you... But I see the boat is sinking and I'm just not going down without kicking, screaming and fighting all the way to the bottom...

1) Better late than never, but ...
2) It's his job to write about important Connecticut issues, and UConn realignment has been one of the biggest for years now; yet he's written little. How much credit should we give him for doing his job now? When all he did was wait until the cake was baked and sources were ready to feed him?

Rest assured, whatever Jacobs writes will not "help us get into a power 5 conference." He has a better chance of irritating people and spoiling deals than of making something positive happen.

Reaction Score
Here is another angle. Susan Herbst's brother Steven Herbst is SVP, Broadcasting and Production at NASCAR.

"NASCAR announced a number of strategic moves designed to strengthen further its broadcasting and production units by refocusing business strategy, improving alignment with other key NASCAR departments and bolstering the overall leadership structure.

Steve Herbst, who has overseen NASCAR's broadcasting and global media rights since May 2011, has been selected to lead what was formerly known as NASCAR Media Group Productions as vice president, broadcasting and production."

He must have some contacts in the media. Not to put in a good word for us, but to recommend someone who can put together a top-notch presentation as to how adding UConn would impact a conference network. As Warde Manuel said, "With New York, our state, Boston, you've got 11 million television households."

Have they hired professionals to do this for us?

Reaction Score
I imagine one of the reasons Jacobs wrote this article is because he just did a state of the athletic dept. interview with Warde and asked about realignment. My guess is the sense Jacobs got from Manuel by talking to him off the record is that there is a real chance UConn is one of the 3-4 schools being considered by the Big 12 (as was being talked about in the past weeks by Thamel/Tramel). Perhaps Jacobs picked up there is a legit chance UConn could be picked and wants to make sure that we actually get a fair shake in our perception vs our competition, something we did not get against Louisville a couple years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Outing what Herbst and Manuel are doing behind the scenes, though interesting and emotionally satisfying for us, isn't particularly helpful to the cause and could well be harmful to it. What is useful is Jeff writing a series of columns asking what are the metrics by which a conference chooses to expand and then, and this is the key, talking about UConn meets or exceeds those metrics. I can envision a 10 column series.

Column 1 - Value I'd love to see an article program value net of conference affiliated money, which would show that when the impact of mega million TV conference deals are excluded UConn is one of the most profitable sports programs around. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 2 - Market The Hartford/New Haven DMA is the best prize left on the board. Add to that just under another million people in FFC, and we bring more value than any other piece left on the board and more that many of the existing P5. Keep in mind that FFC is a part of the coveted NYC DMA. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 3 - Athletic Department - Overall List the number of sports that we offer and show that we are competent across the board in pretty much all of them. Show the P5 opponents we schedule, etc. Great place to talk about the move to Hockey East and highlight the extent of the content UConn could generate to a conference TV network. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 4 - Facilities Gampel, the Werth Champions Center, Burton, Shenkman are first class facilitities that rank well against the P5. The Rent is an outstanding place to see a game and was designed to be easily upgraded to add another 10-15 thousand in capacity. Plans are in the works for new hockey barn, but note UConn's outstanding attendance. Likewise, a new soccer stadium will be done in the immediate future as well. Millions in private donations have already been given for these projects. Add to that the concept drawings for a new baseball stadium and it shows Connecticut's commitment to athletics. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 5 - Academics UConn is a very good university academically and it is improving it's standing at an impressive rate. This is a huge advantage we have over the rest of the G5, we need to emphasize it. Be sure to include shared initiatives with Yale and Wisconsin, etc. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 6 - State Support UConn is a land grant college that has, to my knowledge, unmatched investment in by the State of Connecticut. Talk about the initiatives that have taken place form UConn 2000 forward to the current STEM initiative. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 7 - NYC/ MSG It has become cannon: NYC/MSG is UConn country. Iowa State and Michigan State learned that the hard way. Write about that weekend. Write about the 6 OT game. Write about the Allen/Iverson duel. Write about the outstanding 5 games in 5 days to win the BET. Note that if a conference wants a presence in NYC, UConn brings it. Ranking vis a vis the rest of the P5? Unmatched. Create a graphic that says just that to include with article.

Column 8 - Championships We all know them, but it needs to talked about as a part of this series. When UConn decides to compete, it does so at the highest level. An amazing 4 National Championships for Men's Basketball since 1999, an outstanding 10 National Championships for Women's Basketball since 1995, 3 National Championships for Men's Soccer, 4 National Championships for Field Hockey...that's 21 National Championships in total. Add to that a BCS Bowl berth in football. We aren't just another mouth to feed, we'll bring success and recognition at the highest level to any conference we join. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 9 - Summary Hit the highlights of the prior 8 articles. Make the case for UConn being a unique and valuable addition to any conference. Create an composite ranking for where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 10 - Announce our membership in P5 conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not clear to me if he intends to talk to Connecticut people. Has Malloy put any pressure on ESPN or at least talked to them? Has President Herbst talked up UConn to any Presidents since her public lobbying back in 2011? We only accidentally found out about the Kansas State President. Is her calendar public or subject to FOI laws? What were Herbst and Manuel doing in the Virgin Islands? Did they miscalculate? Could they have done some personal lobbying if they were on the mainland? What did Scott Gray hear and from who? He has said that we are going to the to Big 10. Maybe he knows something.

There is one thing you can count on in CR.

Scott Gray knows nothing about anything.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Column 8 - Championships We all know them, but it needs to talked about as a part of this series. When UConn decides to compete, it does so at the highest level. An amazing 4 National Championships for Men's Basketball since 1999, an outstanding 10 National Championships for Women's Basketball since 1995, 3 National Championships for Men's Soccer, 4 National Championships for Field Hockey...that's 21 National Championships in total.
Where do we rank for total national titles in the last quarter century? Can't be too many schools with more than us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where do we rank for total national titles in the last quarter century? Can't be too many schools with more than us.
If you are counting only NCAA championships (i.e., not counting the 1948 soccer championship) we're tied for 28th. Keep in mind that includes Olympic sports as well. So, for example, a good track school would have a ton of championships.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If you are counting only NCAA championships (i.e., not counting the 1948 soccer championship) we're tied for 28th. Keep in mind that includes Olympic sports as well. So, for example, a good track school would have a ton of championships.
Yeah, I see that the teams with the most tend to dominate stuff like swimming, track, etc.

But I'm just curious about where we rank since 1990 or so. I'd wager we're in the top 10 for total titles in that time.

Reaction Score
For those who wonder where Jacobs was 3 years ago, I have a "fun" conspiracy theory. His UConn sources have told him a P5 invite is imminent off the record. He is standing up now to act like he was going to dig into this issue, knowing that he would never have to bother.

Reaction Score
You're probably the third person, including myself, to say this. I don't think its crazy to think its very far off. Jacobs has a history of being self serving. If he isn't being, then great. Its a win win.

Reaction Score
For those who wonder where Jacobs was 3 years ago, I have a "fun" conspiracy theory. His UConn sources have told him a P5 invite is imminent off the record. He is standing up now to act like he was going to dig into this issue, knowing that he would never have to bother.

I'm sure no source told him anything was imminent, but I'm sure he was told things are looking better than they did a month, a year or 3 years ago... So, its time to jump on board

Reaction Score

THIS

C

Chief00

Outing what Herbst and Manuel are doing behind the scenes, though interesting and emotionally satisfying for us, isn't particularly helpful to the cause and could well be harmful to it. What is useful is Jeff writing a series of columns asking what are the metrics by which a conference chooses to expand and then, and this is the key, talking about UConn meets or exceeds those metrics. I can envision a 10 column series.

Column 1 - Value I'd love to see an article program value net of conference affiliated money, which would show that when the impact of mega million TV conference deals are excluded UConn is one of the most profitable sports programs around. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 2 - Market The Hartford/New Haven DMA is the best prize left on the board. Add to that just under another million people in FFC, and we bring more value than any other piece left on the board and more that many of the existing P5. Keep in mind that FFC is a part of the coveted NYC DMA. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 3 - Athletic Department - Overall List the number of sports that we offer and show that we are competent across the board in pretty much all of them. Show the P5 opponents we schedule, etc. Great place to talk about the move to Hockey East and highlight the extent of the content UConn could generate to a conference TV network. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 4 - Facilities Gampel, the Werth Champions Center, Burton, Shenkman are first class facilitities that rank well against the P5. The Rent is an outstanding place to see a game and was designed to be easily upgraded to add another 10-15 thousand in capacity. Plans are in the works for new hockey barn, but note UConn's outstanding attendance. Likewise, a new soccer stadium will be done in the immediate future as well. Millions in private donations have already been given for these projects. Add to that the concept drawings for a new baseball stadium and it shows Connecticut's commitment to athletics. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 5 - Academics UConn is a very good university academically and it is improving it's standing at an impressive rate. This is a huge advantage we have over the rest of the G5, we need to emphasize it. Be sure to include shared initiatives with Yale and Wisconsin, etc. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 6 - State Support UConn is a land grant college that has, to my knowledge, unmatched investment in by the State of Connecticut. Talk about the initiatives that have taken place form UConn 2000 forward to the current STEM initiative. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 7 - NYC/ MSG It has become cannon: NYC/MSG is UConn country. Iowa State and Michigan State learned that the hard way. Write about that weekend. Write about the 6 OT game. Write about the Allen/Iverson duel. Write about the outstanding 5 games in 5 days to win the BET. Note that if a conference wants a presence in NYC, UConn brings it. Ranking vis a vis the rest of the P5? Unmatched. Create a graphic that says just that to include with article.

Column 8 - Championships We all know them, but it needs to talked about as a part of this series. When UConn decides to compete, it does so at the highest level. An amazing 4 National Championships for Men's Basketball since 1999, an outstanding 10 National Championships for Women's Basketball since 1995, 3 National Championships for Men's Soccer, 4 National Championships for Field Hockey...that's 21 National Championships in total. Add to that a BCS Bowl berth in football. We aren't just another mouth to feed, we'll bring success and recognition at the highest level to any conference we join. Show where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 9 - Summary Hit the highlights of the prior 8 articles. Make the case for UConn being a unique and valuable addition to any conference. Create an composite ranking for where UConn ranks among the existing P5. Create a graphic to include with article.

Column 10 - Announce our membership in P5 conference.

Susan is not well liked in the President's club of the former Big East - many of whom are now in the ACC. UConn may have better luck with the Big10 or 12.

Reaction Score
Best thing Blumenthal can do for our chances is just to stay away from the issue; especially with the ACC!
How did you get a post I put up about me getting banned by Thamel on twitter confused with Blumenthal...I never even mentioned him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom