Jacobs looks to be out as AD at Auburn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs looks to be out as AD at Auburn

Reaction Score
Even the Courant thinks DB is likely gone.

You get that from this quote: “The problem is in these scary times of unintended consequences, a talent like Benedict could vanish just as quickly.” ??

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seems like an ambitious dude. Does ambition lead him to continue working on improving UConn or taking on the Auburn job?

Reaction Score
Seems like an ambitious dude. Does ambition lead him to continue working on improving UConn or taking on the Auburn job?

That's the question. Does he want to have a (hopefully) finished reclamation job to point to on his resume? If he has real and documented success here, he will be a leading candidate for many jobs that will come up when he is ready. The question is how much does he want the Auburn job, because he would not know when it would open up again. Also, how much does Auburn want him?

Reaction Score
That's the question. Does he want to have a (hopefully) finished reclamation job to point to on his resume? If he has real and documented success here, he will be a leading candidate for many jobs that will come up when he is ready. The question is how much does he want the Auburn job, because he would not know when it would open up again. Also, how much does Auburn want him?

Always a question of just how many times will opportunity knock?????????

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The question is how much does he want the Auburn job
I think the question for Benedict and anyone who might take an opening at one of the troubled schools is "How much do you want a job at a school that will likely be punished, potential severely (UL we're looking at you)?" Those AD jobs have a sword of Damocles hanging over them. Sounds good, AD in the SEC or ACC, but those jobs could have plenty of trouble attached to them. It's not a simple move.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the question for Benedict and anyone who might take an opening at one of the troubled schools is "How much do you want a job at a school that will likely be punished, potential severely (UL we're looking at you)?" Those AD jobs have a sword of Damocles hanging over them. Sounds good, AD in the SEC or ACC, but those jobs could have plenty of trouble attached to them. It's not a simple move.

I would think the trouble question gets 20 minutes of pondering and discussion before he says yes. Auburn won't be pushed out of the SEC for this. Sure, a few down years, but all in all, its a dream job and one that could have great longevity. There is no way he turns it down. Auburn's future is infinitely more stable than ours. We are on a life raft and the state budget is making serious waves. "Waiter, Check please!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Auburn will be a dead end job as long as Saban is coaching Alabama. The only thing that fan base cates about is beating Bama and that isn't happening very often with Saban coaching.

If DB believes he can last as AD at Auburn longer than Saban, the position becomes very attractive. While Saban is getting up in years, I doubt he'll be retiring soon.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
But is this the beginning of the trouble? What if it gets worse for Auburn BB. What if it makes its way to FB. There's just so much unknown. Granted we're dealing with a much (much) lower salary, but I wouldn't take a job in a place that was in turmoil. Jacobs was making, I think, $600K with incentives that could get it up to $750K. At UConn, AD David Benedict is making $450K with incentives that could get it up to $550K. I doubt he gets Jacobs' pay rate to start, maybe he gets $550K, $650K with incentives. So does he bolt to a bigger job with question marks for $100K? I'm just trying to portray the other side to show maybe it's not a complete slam dunk for him if they offer. Just throwing spaghetti against the wall.

Reaction Score
He'd probably be paid closer to 800k at Auburn. I'd give him a raise at UConn if he'd stay for it. It wouldn't be easy to find a comparable person for the job. He's very connected with what we need to do around here and easily worth more money to us when you consider that's his replacement might suck. Not worth the risk if it is preventable with a pay increase. You can almost guarantee he'll steal Lashlee sooner or later if he leaves.

Reaction Score
But is this the beginning of the trouble? What if it gets worse for Auburn BB. What if it makes its way to FB. There's just so much unknown. Granted we're dealing with a much (much) lower salary, but I wouldn't take a job in a place that was in turmoil. Jacobs was making, I think, $600K with incentives that could get it up to $750K. At UConn, AD David Benedict is making $450K with incentives that could get it up to $550K. I doubt he gets Jacobs' pay rate to start, maybe he gets $550K, $650K with incentives. So does he bolt to a bigger job with question marks for $100K? I'm just trying to portray the other side to show maybe it's not a complete slam dunk for him if they offer. Just throwing spaghetti against the wall.
Is it all just about money? Does he have kids that go to school here?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He is already loved here. Not "liked". Loved.

Even if Auburn offered me more money, I would stay. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a UConn fan. I've always said that it's hard to pout a price tag on being in a place where you're loved (and pretty well paid too)...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
But is this the beginning of the trouble? What if it gets worse for Auburn BB. What if it makes its way to FB. There's just so much unknown.
I think this is the bigger question. If the Auburn AD is fired, is the increase in pay worth the trouble you'd need to deal with in your Athletic Dept? I'm not sure it is. There's not a shot I'd take that Louisville job based on how things are looking right now.

The Jacobs article did say that Auburn was no in the FBI's crosshairs if I read that correctly. So if they decide to let their AD go and they aren't facing any further trouble, then we are in deep trouble.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Auburn will be a dead end job as long as Saban is coaching Alabama. The only thing that fan base cates about is beating Bama and that isn't happening very often with Saban coaching.

If DB believes he can last as AD at Auburn longer than Saban, the position becomes very attractive. While Saban is getting up in years, I doubt he'll be retiring soon.

Until Dabo leaves Clemson...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Competitive people want to compete at the highest level.

Just hope they don't want him because this idea that he'd stay is pretty hilarious.
The fact that we are talking about should make it obvious he leaves if that door opens.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kind of odd that our last two ADs could end up at Michigan and Auburn all while our football and basketball programs are losing quite a bit more than winning.

Obviously not a comment on Benedict as he didn't cause this mess, but interesting nonetheless.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Is it all just about money? Does he have kids that go to school here?
You're right. There are other considerations. He has twin boys, but their ages weren't given.
Just to throw a wrench in the discussion, per his bio he's a native of Tempe AZ, so maybe AZ could be in the picture for him if they let go of their AD. His wife went to AZ State.

Reaction Score
AZ State hockey is already supposedly recruiting very well, unfortunately. Better than us, allegedly, and they don't even have a rink.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
His time there overlapped with Pearl's. Not that I think he had anything to do with it, but if they want to clean house completely, they might look somewhere else. That being said I don't think our only danger is Auburn. A guy like him will probably get a look for any opening that comes up due to this mess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom