I've reached my breaking point with Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I've reached my breaking point with Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Can't believe he buttons the top button on his shirts. I hate that look.
I agree. KO would be a better head coach if he could loosen up and unbutton a button or two.

Reaction Score
At some point, Facey and another big have to be on the floor together.

As I understand it, you're advocating playing Vital, Purvis, and Adams together for... 38 minutes?

When any of these 3 sit, and especially when they are in foul trouble, you're going to have 2 bigs in there.

Reaction Score
You are missing the point the Durham is still getting his feet under him and isn't ready to play major minutes. Unfortunately we just don't have any other options with both Larrier and AG hurt.

I wasn't under the impression that he was under any minutes restrictions. I'm not suggesting we play him 30 minutes per game, but he should be seeing more time than he's getting.

As I understand it, you're advocating playing Vital, Purvis, and Adams together for... 38 minutes?

When any of these 3 sit, and especially when they are in foul trouble, you're going to have 2 bigs in there.

No, I'm advocating that the four spot be filled by a committee of Jackson and Durham. If Facey has to play some pinch minutes there, fine, but he should not be starting games there.

Reaction Score
Brimah tries hard and does block but he was put down just by a player boxing him out. Thought an ambulance would be called. After a horrendous start we had grit but with those 2 players out we do not have enough this year.KO won't do it but Inwould go to the frosh plus Enoch and Jalen and just see them get experience.

Reaction Score

Yes. With Adams and Purvis playing 36+ mins, Vital, Jackson and Durham should average 25 mins each to ensure Facey almost never shares the floor with Brimah. I think we got outscored about 35-10 to start the games vs OK St and Oregon with our 2 big man lineup. At the very least, KF shouldn't be in our starting lineup. I'm sure he is a nice kid and a good ambassador for the program, but his lack of versatility is killing us.

Reaction Score
Yes. With Adams and Purvis playing 36+ mins, Vital, Jackson and Durham should average 25 mins each to ensure Facey almost never shares the floor with Brimah. I think we got outscored about 35-10 to start the games vs OK St and Oregon with our 2 big man lineup. At the very least, KF shouldn't be in our starting lineup. I'm sure he is a nice kid and a good ambassador for the program, but his lack of versatility is killing us.

Even if you're totally right, I can't be the only one who noticed that the poor starts happened on the perimeter, with horrendous ball handling, lack of closeouts, guards blowing by our guards, and just a general stupor.

Couple that with a bad foul and then 2 possessions to Oregon today on a 3 pointer that bounced off a generous ri, and a phantom foul, and you have a 15 point run.

Still, given the limitations of this lineup, you are going to see 2 of Facey and Brimah and Enoch out there for 5-10 minutes a game, at least. And I certainly hope Vance finds his shot so that we can have the luxury of putting him at the 4 for extended minutes.

Reaction Score
UConn is not good this year, but this * is unbearable and needs to end.

Ollie hasn't coached many good offenses, true. He's also been coach to phenomenal defenses. He's also at minimum a "good" recruiter. We can't do any better. He's a young coach. He needs time and patience too.

If UConn is to really suck this year, the worst ting we can do as fans is mope and complain. It's embarrassing. Look towards the future. Adams is a stud, Jackson will be a big time scorer, and Vital will be one of the best three star recruits we've ever had. UConn'a world isn't ending, but people acting like it is are only hurting the reputation of the program. There's going to be lumps, suck it up and be supportive.

Reaction Score

Ollie hasn't coached many good offenses, true. He's also been coach to phenomenal defenses. He's also at minimum a "good" recruiter. We can't do any better. He's a young coach. He needs time and patience too.

If UConn is to really suck this year, the worst ting we can do as fans is mope and complain. It's embarrassing. Look towards the future. Adams is a stud, Jackson will be a big time scorer, and Vital will be one of the best three star recruits we've ever had. UConn'a world isn't ending, but people acting like it is are only hurting the reputation of the program. There's going to be lumps, suck it up and be supportive.
Pointing out glaring weaknesses our coach needs to improve upon is called being a good fan. Saying everything is sunshine and rainbows when it's not is being a poor fan IMO.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Preach. When you don't have Coach K or Cal this happens once in a while. If you're bailing now, then act embarrassed when they're nasty next year and have fun bashing our coach to the rest of the world.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Pointing out glaring weaknesses our coach needs to improve upon is called being a good fan. Saying everything is sunshine and rainbows when it's not is being a poor fan IMO.
Never said everything is, but some people (not directing this at you) are taking it to a level that doesn't need to exist. The whole board needs to man up a bit.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Amen. This place is getting overrun by pathetic losers

Reaction Score

Well said. Wish those fans would go support some other team. What a bunch of babies. I can't imagine the laugh others are getting at the melt down of some of our fans. Everythings gonna be fine as early as next year and they should feel real stupid. What guys aren't aloud time to grow? Let coach and the players figure each other out.

Reaction Score

It's not like anybody is calling for him to be fired. At least I'm not. It's possible to express frustration while still maintaining perspective, and while Ollie is still a young coach who deserves time to grow, it's obvious that he's well behind some of his peers at this point (which, again, is to be expected, but when your team doesn't look particularly well coached, it's obvious).

Incidentally, I'm not terribly concerned about the defense. It'll be tightened up. Perhaps not to the level I would have hoped for at the beginning of the season, but it'll be a solid unit by January.

My main concern with Ollie isn't actually the x's and o's but rather the fact that he hasn't demonstrated a great feel for managing his personnel. Playing Facey at the four isn't putting him in a position to succeed. Leaving Brimah out there to chase three point shooters isn't putting him in a position to succeed. Starting two bigs and allowing opposing defenses to tee off on Adams and Purvis isn't putting them in a position to succeed. Playing a zone at any time is not putting anybody in a position to succeed.

This team has limitations and they will be exposed. But good coaches tend to disguise those limitations a lot more efficiently than what we've seen from Ollie this season. Sending Facey and Brimah out there to take on an ultra-athletic Oregon team is leading the lambs to their slaughter.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Brimah tries hard and does block but he was put down just by a player boxing him out. Thought an ambulance would be called. After a horrendous start we had grit but with those 2 players out we do not have enough this year.KO won't do it but Inwould go to the frosh plus Enoch and Jalen and just see them get experience.
Actually, he took a shot to the face...and a lot of elbows to the body

Reaction Score
It's not like anybody is calling for him to be fired. At least I'm not. It's possible to express frustration while still maintaining perspective, and while Ollie is still a young coach who deserves time to grow, it's obvious that he's well behind some of his peers at this point (which, again, is to be expected, but when your team doesn't look particularly well coached, it's obvious).

Incidentally, I'm not terribly concerned about the defense. It'll be tightened up. Perhaps not to the level I would have hoped for at the beginning of the season, but it'll be a solid unit by January.

My main concern with Ollie isn't actually the x's and o's but rather the fact that he hasn't demonstrated a great feel for managing his personnel. Playing Facey at the four isn't putting him in a position to succeed. Leaving Brimah out there to chase three point shooters isn't putting him in a position to succeed. Starting two bigs and allowing opposing defenses to tee off on Adams and Purvis isn't putting them in a position to succeed. Playing a zone at any time is not putting anybody in a position to succeed.

This team has limitations and they will be exposed. But good coaches tend to disguise those limitations a lot more efficiently than what we've seen from Ollie this season. Sending Facey and Brimah out there to take on an ultra-athletic Oregon team is leading the lambs to their slaughter.

I agree with most good post and I agree he can't have Brimah out there casing 3 pt shooters but the fact is teams will have bigs who can do that (Boucher) and he either needs to do that or sit. He's playing well so how in his right mind could he have taken him out vs Boucher last night? I mean he's athletic enough to get out there, force him to put it on the floor or get your hand his face right?

But totally agree with you, Facey and Brimah (also known as KF and AB to Deepster) just can't be on the floor at the sam time for much if any time, it hurts on both ends of the floor.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We are also ignoring the fact that every single one of our games by default will be 8 vs 5.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
So the UConn team was on my flight late last night from Maui to LAX and I have to say that I found it interesting that while the team was sitting together in the airport having a reasonably decent time before boarding, Ollie was sitting on the complete opposite end of the gate area with no one from the team or staff anywhere near him. Also thought it was interesting that the entire team and staff was in coach on the flight except for Ollie sitting row 1 in first class.

I'm sure this is making something out of nothing but...

Or maybe this explains the slow starts in Maui in that our players were so stiff from being crammed in coach for 11 hours of flights. Can't believe UConn doesn't charter for something like Maui. Pretty sure Wisconsin and UNC at least chartered for the trip. Maybe this is part of the AAC purgatory effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom