It's not NIL or the roster, Jim | Page 4 | The Boneyard

It's not NIL or the roster, Jim

Reaction Score
He we go again…Coaching is not fine. They run the program. Mora hires the staff. They bring in the players.
Staff is fine. They have had one full recruiting class in here. The big 12 fallout has stopped current recruiting cold (someone ask Mora. Go ahead).

What are you expecting?

Players aren’t good enough. Doesn’t mean they are terrible and they aren’t FBS caliber and they have no value. They do. They need better LB, DB, and WR play across the board. They need DEs to rush the passer.

For some reason the UConn fb fanbase has a blind spot here. Could some freshmen and bench players be the answer? Maybe.m? They are young. Are players playing hard? Yes.

They just need players with more ability. What are we doing here thinking talent level is appropriate for the football level UConn is trying to play? We would never accept that at the basketball level.

Reaction Score
Staff is fine. They have had one full recruiting class in here. The big 12 fallout has stopped current recruiting cold (someone ask Mora. Go ahead).

What are you expecting?

Players aren’t good enough. Doesn’t mean they are terrible and they aren’t FBS caliber and they have no value. They do. They need better LB, DB, and WR play across the board. They need DEs to rush the passer.

For some reason the UConn fb fanbase has a blind spot here. Could some freshmen and bench players be the answer? Maybe.m? They are young. Are players playing hard? Yes.

They just need players with more ability. What are we doing here thinking talent level is appropriate for the football level UConn is trying to play? We would never accept that at the basketball level.
Comparing UConn football to UConn basketball is your first mistake.

Reaction Score
Whoever UConn hires, they need someone who knows offense and thinks defense is an after thought. Stop hiring coaches with defense pedigrees. UConn will never win consistently until they figure out the passing game and the offense side of LOS.
This. We should hire the best offensive coach who wants to advance his career as possible. I have had it with defensive coaches running his program into the ground. You want fans in the Rent we need to score and have the ability to come back when we fall behind.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As recently as mid summer 2022 on the men's hoops board there were quite a few posters commenting on how Hurley had no idea how to run an offense, especially in today's game. We added some shooters and not quite a year ago those complaints stopped (replaced by others). Evidently, when he had players who could do what his offense called for he somehow learned how to run a very modern offense.
Oh yeah, and he won a title.

In his first year as Giants' head coach (1983) Bill Parcells finished 3-12-1 and nearly got fired. While being interviewed three years later, after winning the Super Bowl he said "You (reporters) said I was a lousy coach. We got some better players and now you (reporters) say I'm a great coach. Funny how that happens.".

Reaction Score
We were overmatched (not by a large margin, but enough) on both lines of scrimmage today.

We had at least three critical dropped passes and continually gave large cushions to their receivers.

We missed a ton of tackles on defense.

All of the above can be traced directly to a shortage of physical/athletic talent or indirectly (due to schemes designed to limit the damage deficiencies can lead to) to shortage of talent.

Those who believe it is merely coaching/playcalling spent too much time believing video game football and actual football are interchangeable.
This. Once upon a time coach RE had the knack of coaching players to outperform their level of talent. Having said that it is hard to attract top talent to this program. When the other team always has bigger faster players at the skill positions you will consistently lose more than you win. Simple enough.

Reaction Score
As recently as mid summer 2022 on the men's hoops board there were quite a few posters commenting on how Hurley had no idea how to run an offense, especially in today's game. We added some shooters and not quite a year ago those complaints stopped (replaced by others). Evidently, when he had players who could do what his offense called for he somehow learned how to run a very modern offense.

In his first year as Giants' head coach (1983) Bill Parcells finished 3-12-1 and nearly got fired. While being interviewed three years later, after winning the Super Bowl he said "You (reporters) said I was a lousy coach. We got some better players and now you (reporters) say I'm a great coach. Funny how that happens.".
Well then Mora needs to get better players. Better QB's. Better WR's. And a better OC.

Reaction Score

What are you expecting?

I just can’t believe you’ve learned nothing in 13 years and 4 bad coaching staffs later. If it smells like a turd, it usually is a turd. We have an immense capacity around here to ignore the stinking facts and convince ourselves everything is going to turn up roses but it never does.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Well then Mora needs to get better players. Better QB's. Better WR's. And a better OC.
Yes, we need better players. In other news: water is wet.

Out of curiosity: if Mora (or a successor) was able to build a program that consistently won 9-12 games each year, was ranked 90% of the time, on occasion in the top ten and was built on stellar defense and a nearly unstoppable offense, but that offense was heavily run oriented, would you be happy with the product?

Reaction Score

Out of curiosity: if Mora (or a successor) was able to build a program that consistently won 9-12 games each year, was ranked 90% of the time, on occasion in the top ten and was built on stellar defense and a nearly unstoppable offense, but that offense was heavily run oriented, would you be happy with the product?
I can't answer for Touchdown Husky but I would ecstatic. But right now it seems like there is a better chance of an elephant flying to the moon than what you described.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Are you reviving the “we should run the triple option” thread? Because at this point I am 100% on board…

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Just stop.
I get you don't like the post. Mora seems level headed, but his decision to let Charlton stick to this atrocious play calling is hampering the team. That, and the recent calling out of the administration (he's not wrong with the sentiment, but what help does it do in the midst of a losing season) are not reassuring "all in" signs. I would hope he stays AND brings in legitimate OC, DC, and ST coaches. That would tell me he's committed.

Reaction Score
I’m personally wondering how AD Dave is going to handle this I’m the off-season. Our results are simply unacceptable but I don’t know if he cares enough to fix them at this point. I could see him throwing up his hands and saying we missed the realignment circus again and it’s just not going to happen for us.

Obviously that would be worst case scenario but I’m not sure his play other than clean house. Because this is just embarrassing again.

Reaction Score
I’m personally wondering how AD Dave is going to handle this I’m the off-season. Our results are simply unacceptable but I don’t know if he cares enough to fix them at this point. I could see him throwing up his hands and saying we missed the realignment circus again and it’s just not going to happen for us.

Obviously that would be worst case scenario but I’m not sure his play other than clean house. Because this is just embarrassing again.
There will be changes. Mora will be able to stay if he wants, but there always has to be staff turnover after a season like this. Unless you are in your first year of taking over a winless team, this isn’t even minimally acceptable. The OC needs to go and special teams needs to go. We also need a DC to help clear Mora’s mind. He needs to be able to focus on game and clock management, particularly in the final minutes. We are a disaster in the final minutes of close games.

Reaction Score

At least Hurley doesn’t play his home games on a venue at an abandoned air strip 25 miles from campus, and a venue that needs $180 million in repairs. Neither did his predecessors. That’s only one of the things that Mora has to overcome when trying to lure recruits to UConn. So Mora shows the venue to prospective recruits and says, they can bus in 1000 of the 20,000 on campus students, to recruits for games. NIL is another problem.

Last edited:

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
At least Hurley doesn’t play his home games on a venue at an abandoned air strip 25 miles from campus, and a venue that needs $180 million in repairs. Neither did his predecessors. That’s only one of the things that Mora has to overcome when trying to lure recruits to UConn. So Mora shows the venue to prospective recruits and says, they can bus in 1000 of the 20,000 on campus students, to recruits for games. NIL is another problem.
Just. Stop. With. The. Stadium.

Reaction Score
Mora is not a up an coming great coach…he is a sound coach who can if was on equal footing with other coaches would win his fair share of games…he’s not.. uconn is at such a disadvantage then most schools we play recruiting wise…it’s got to be frustrating for him

Reaction Score
The problem with a defensive minded HC like Mora is deferring too often to his OC during critical game moments, rather than being comfortable providing a level of offensive insight.
On that 4th and 1 late in the game, when they called time out and brought in Stafford, the call from Charlton was to try and replicate the NCSt game surprise pass from Fagnano to #97. So did Mora simply rubber stamp the call, concurring that rolling out Roberson, who has accuracy issues on the run, to throw a touch pass to 300 lb Stafford was the wisest choice? (And BTW, as Stafford ran to the outside he was double covered—you think that during that time out, BC, who had watched the NC St tape, didn’t warn its defense?)
So did Mora bring any insight into the play call discussion? Did he perhaps suggest that if Charlton thought BC would gang up to stop the Stafford dive, a more deceptive play might be having Stafford crash into the line while having the QB hand it to the trailing back Edwards to cut to the outside?
Look, I realize that if you analyze every play the successful ones have lots of fathers while those that don’t are orphans, but blindly trusting the play calling of our OC is one of the biggest failures of Mora’s tenure.

Reaction Score
Just. Stop. With. The. Stadium.
The stadium is just one of the problems facing any football coach at UConn. This program needs big time donations for coaches salaries, NIL money, recruiting budgets, upgraded film and video facilities, and many other items that cost big money. Why don’t you make up bumper stickers having your stupid post and embossed with UConn Football on the top, and hand them out to your friends.

Reaction Score
The stadium is just one of the problems facing any football coach at UConn. This program needs big time donations for coaches salaries, NIL money, recruiting budgets, upgraded film and video facilities, and many other items that cost big money. Why don’t you make up bumper stickers having your stupid post and embossed with UConn Football on the top, and hand them out to your friends.
good luck with that.......

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Are you reviving the “we should run the triple option” thread? Because at this point I am 100% on board…
No, I'm looking into something different.

I personally believe that a) it would be more feasible for us to build a program where (ideally) the teams somewhat resemble what the Eagles and 49ers are currently doing than what, for example the Chiefs are doing and b) as better programs are moving more and more towards gearing up on primarily stopping the pass, they will be less capable of stopping a physical running game.

A side note is TDHusky has been whining that we don't throw the ball enough for at least 15 years.

Reaction Score
You think the XL Center is a showpiece?

Reaction Score
The problem with a defensive minded HC like Mora is deferring too often to his OC during critical game moments, rather than being comfortable providing a level of offensive insight.
On that 4th and 1 late in the game, when they called time out and brought in Stafford, the call from Charlton was to try and replicate the NCSt game surprise pass from Fagnano to #97. So did Mora simply rubber stamp the call, concurring that rolling out Roberson, who has accuracy issues on the run, to throw a touch pass to 300 lb Stafford was the wisest choice? (And BTW, as Stafford ran to the outside he was double covered—you think that during that time out, BC, who had watched the NC St tape, didn’t warn its defense?)
So did Mora bring any insight into the play call discussion? Did he perhaps suggest that if Charlton thought BC would gang up to stop the Stafford dive, a more deceptive play might be having Stafford crash into the line while having the QB hand it to the trailing back Edwards to cut to the outside?
Look, I realize that if you analyze every play the successful ones have lots of fathers while those that don’t are orphans, but blindly trusting the play calling of our OC is one of the biggest failures of Mora’s tenure.
Agree with your general statement about rubber stamping Charlton’s play calling, but was Stafford the original target when the play was called?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom