It's not NIL or the roster, Jim | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It's not NIL or the roster, Jim

Reaction Score
You think the XL Center is a showpiece?
No , it’s a dump. All the home games should be played at Gampel, with maybe one or two at the Civic Center not the 8 that Hartford wants. God knows we don’t need another roof collapse.

Reaction Score
Got anything that backs up that assertion?
Yes, whatever the state says it will pay to make infrastructure improvements to Rentschler Field you can multiply that by 3. There are pictures of rust creep and water damage from the leaky roof.

Reaction Score
On that 4th and 1 late in the game, when they called time out and brought in Stafford, the call from Charlton was to try and replicate the NCSt game surprise pass from Fagnano to #97. So did Mora simply rubber stamp the call, concurring that rolling out Roberson, who has accuracy issues on the run, to throw a touch pass to 300 lb Stafford was the wisest choice? (And BTW, as Stafford ran to the outside he was double covered—you think that during that time out, BC, who had watched the NC St tape, didn’t warn its defense?)
It’s an excellent point. I’ll go a step further because our OC sucks in route design. We had two receivers basically in the same route space with TE never peeling off to either pull defenders away from Stafford or coming open. Despite running an ineffective pencil route the TE was open briefly but they were fixated on getting the ball to Jelani. This tells me Charlton doesn’t teach the theory of the play and players don’t understand the dynamics.

Reaction Score
Bottom line we lost to BC and that always sucks especially bad. But we did not get blown out. This game demonstrated the recent trend of increased parity between the programs which is good for us and bad for them. This was a hollow victory for BC.

I'm hopeful this team can finally put it together and win out against JMU, Sacred Heart and UMass. Defense, play calling, execution on offense and special teams all need to get better for that to happen but it is within reach and it can be done with deternination and continued effort. Let's get it done!

Reaction Score
At least Hurley doesn’t play his home games on a venue at an abandoned air strip 25 miles from campus, and a venue that needs $180 million in repairs. Neither did his predecessors. That’s only one of the things that Mora has to overcome when trying to lure recruits to UConn. So Mora shows the venue to prospective recruits and says, they can bus in 1000 of the 20,000 on campus students, to recruits for games. NIL is another problem.
I’ve taken several people to the Rent, including some very intense Gator fans. They all loved it. They thought it was fun, well laid out, the concessions were good and everyone loves all the beer options every 50 feet all around the stadium.

The problem with the Rent is losing. The place used to rock and the venue has always been good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ve taken several people to the Rent, including some very intense Gator fans. They all loved it. They thought it was fun, well laid out, the concessions were good and everyone loves all the beer options every 50 feet all around the stadium.

The problem with the Rent is losing. The place used to rock and the venue has always been good.
The problem with the Rent is that it's 30 miles to far west, and may be slightly too small for a functional program, and 20 years old and in need of renovation, but, yeah, 100% agree that winning masks most of that.

Reaction Score
At least Hurley doesn’t play his home games on a venue at an abandoned air strip 25 miles from campus, and a venue that needs $180 million in repairs. Neither did his predecessors. That’s only one of the things that Mora has to overcome when trying to lure recruits to UConn. So Mora shows the venue to prospective recruits and says, they can bus in 1000 of the 20,000 on campus students, to recruits for games. NIL is another problem.
You have never had season tickets at Storrs prior to the announcement of going 1A.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with the Rent is that it's 30 miles to far west, and may be slightly too small for a functional program, and 20 years old and in need of renovation, but, yeah, 100% agree that winning masks most of that.

The stadium is just one of the problems facing any football coach at UConn. This program needs big time donations for coaches salaries, NIL money, recruiting budgets, upgraded film and video facilities, and many other items that cost big money. Why don’t you make up bumper stickers having your stupid post and embossed with UConn Football on the top, and hand them out to your friends.

“What are things that are harder to accomplish here?” Mora said. “You look at our facilities, we have everything we need. The way we travel is first-class. The way we feed our players is first-class. Our ability to acquire a first-rate staff is great. I would say if there's one thing, it's just when we're in a recruiting battle — and this happens too often — we’ll be in a battle and we'll be winning that battle; and the kids come on campus and love the campus and love the facility; they meet the people and they love the people; they see our vision and they love our vision. And then a Power Five team walks in at the last minute and fulfills their dream of playing Power Five football, and we lose him. That's really, to me, been the only obstacle. Every day there's little picky things, but a true obstacle? That's the only obstacle we've seen. The good news is we've been in the fight. We'll start winning some of those battles. We'll start pulling people away from the Power Five teams as we become more successful as a program.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

This!

Over the past two decades I've hosted countless people who have history of attending games in college football hotbeds. They always spoke highly (often surprised) by the sightlines in the stadium, the tailgating space and the ease of access. These were people who attended school at the Universities of Florida, South Carolina, Michigan, Maryland and West Virginia to name a few. I still remember the write-ups after both Baylor and Vanderbilt visited.

Anyone who attended home games from 2007-2010 has experienced a stadium that rocked as well as many with a capacity of 70k-80k.

The stadium is well down the list of concerns and if we start winning it won't be a concern

Reaction Score

Would they have loved it if their grand kids, one freshman and one junior lived in Shippee Hall or Werth?

Reaction Score
The idea is your HC is supposed to build a winning program. That means building a competent staff, getting the players you need, coaching the players up to perform and execute, holding players and coaches accountable and correcting mistakes, and managing the gave to give them the bests chance to win. Overall, Mora is failing on all accounts. Couple that with an AD that doesn’t give a crap about football and you have a mess. Really pathetic.
The AD came from Auburn...Football is AD Daves #1 priority, I can promise you that.

Reaction Score
Hope all the complainers are doing what they can and not just contributing to the program by coming here. I hate saying that.
Got anything that backs up that assertion?
Also thinks the entire student population in Storrs gives a s___ about college football.

Reaction Score
The AD came from Auburn...Football is AD Daves #1 priority, I can promise you that.
I wish that was true. Anybody with a brain gets the B12 done even if means camping in the state capitol and LOB for 6 months straight to get the financial commitment. The whole story is told with how SMU got it done at whatever the cost because they understood the long term existential implications. We are run by numbskulls.

Reaction Score
Would they have loved it if their grand kids, one freshman and one junior lived in Shippee Hall or Werth?
I don’t know, nor do I care. There’s 40,000 seats, when they win, they are filled. We don’t need your grand kids to find a way to East Hartford when we go 8-4 or better.

Reaction Score
I wish that was true. Anybody with a brain gets the B12 done even if means camping in the state capitol and LOB for 6 months straight to get the financial commitment. The whole story is told with how SMU got it done at whatever the cost because they understood the long term existential implications. We are run by numbskulls.
Big difference -SMU is a private University and can spend any money they want
State not going to write a check to a conference

Reaction Score
It isn’t coaching. These guys can coach. ………. If you watched them play, you wouldn’t think they were 1-7. They should be at worst 3-5.

Hey if you are going to be in the imaginary world then you should imagine that UConn is really undefeated 8 - 0.

No. Facts are a stubborn thing; UConn football’s current record is 1 win and 7 losses and is headed to Knoxville as the underdog for a game against 6 - 2 University of Tennessee.

Can you say 1 and 8 ?

Time to hire a young aggressive head coach.

CL82

Reaction Score
Time to hire a young aggressive head coach.
Absolutely. Maybe a Broyles award winner or something.

1698687606707.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
He said aggressive, not crazy... although one night need to be just a tad crazy to come to our loveable mess. ;)
Diaco was, on paper, the perfect hire for us. We just need to add "not certifiably insane" to the job criteria.

Reaction Score
Your unsubstantiated criticism of the Rent is getting pretty tiresome. We know how you feel so knock it off.

Reaction Score
I’m personally wondering how AD Dave is going to handle this I’m the off-season. Our results are simply unacceptable but I don’t know if he cares enough to fix them at this point. I could see him throwing up his hands and saying we missed the realignment circus again and it’s just not going to happen for us.

Obviously that would be worst case scenario but I’m not sure his play other than clean house. Because this is just embarrassing again.
What has Dave Benedict done in regards to football that gives anyone hope this dumpster fire will be turned around?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom